Author Topic: any cyber vibe movies?  (Read 6879 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: any cyber vibe movies?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 08:32:40 »
Just because it doesn't have all of the tropes, doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the Cyberpunk genre.
Words have a meaning though. It doesnt even fit into post-cyberpunk (or neo-cyber as i've seen that genre named a few times) as the main theme is clearly not there at all. There are a few vibes here and there, but that's it... Again people are quite mistaken about what constitutes "cyberpunk" and what just looks like it.

They bad guys are ugly, and they wear eyeliner.  That's = Punk.   One of them has a mechanical nubben somewhere, and there you go..

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 16:56:13 »
They bad guys are ugly, and they wear eyeliner.  That's = Punk.   One of them has a mechanical nubben somewhere, and there you go.. [/size][/color][/font]
You are confusing "cyberpunk" with "post-apocalyptic" here mate ;) Or else by that metric Mad Max is also cyberpunk (which it is not at all)... Again, many people mistake this genre for something else and that's a good example.
The fact is there are not so many movies or even less series that explore the genre proper, apart from classic anime of course, maybe the upcoming CDPR game will give some ideas to producers, who knows :)
As the OP mentioned Blade Runner only has the vibe of it, more exactly it codified the visuals of the genre, and the "film noir" aspect, while not being a cyberpunk story itself. Also it slid in the "mega corp housed in a giant arcology" secondary trope that is found throughout the staples of the genre.
Anime is where it's at for the most part, with GIST: Standalone Complex being a rather well known example (although oscillating somewhat towards post-cyber in quite a few aspects, some of the main protagonists like Batou or especially Ishikawa, also rogue AIs and such are pure cyberpunk material) and a slew of classic late 80's - early 90's productions deep into the genre.
I dont know if it's been mentioned but Minority Report is a good example of post- (or neo-) cyberpunk. Technology affecting society is the main there so it fits right in.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 18:46:56 »
I am surprised that one of the best books, Snow Crash by Stephenson, has never been made into a movie.

As I was reading it I kept feeling like it had literally been written to be a movie, from its very inception, it checks all of the boxes and is very visual to boot.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 18:57:15 »
Honestly I think a lot of people conflate Steampunk and Cyberpunk and all the **** that fall under their respective umbrellas.

I just separate them all into their own eras.
Protocyberpunk covering stuff like Fallout, Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow, Phillip K. **** things that would generally be called Steam or Dieselpunk or are thus antiquated futures.
Cyberpunk covering what immediately springs to mind for the genre, mostly 1980's or more modern-day vibe works like Blade Runner, Shadowrun, Snow Crash.
Post-cyberpunk which is much more like an alternate timeline of today, more meta and self-referential and hinging it's uniqueness on tropes, things like Metal Gear, Inception, Devs.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 19:54:25 »
What about series?

I go with "Altered Carbon".

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 19:57:35 »
What about series?

Season 2 is safe,  Season 1 is too much secs-stuff

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 23:25:44 »
What about series?

Season 2 is safe,  Season 1 is too much secs-stuff

Oh thx tp4: I didn't know there was a season 2, it's recent apparently.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 02:35:02 »
Post-cyberpunk which is much more like an alternate timeline of today, more meta and self-referential and hinging it's uniqueness on tropes, things like Metal Gear, Inception, Devs.
I would add Summer Wars, which is a perfect example of that genre.
Also: Paprika.

I've read that W.Gibson abandoned the idea of adapting Neuromancer to a movie when he saw Blade Runner, as he tought people would think his adaptation would be just a remake or a copycat since R.Scott's movie was absolutely spot-on for the visuals and vibe. I think it's now ripe for an adaptation though, with the renewed popularity of Cyberpunk. That would also put Snow Crash up for an adaptation.