Author Topic: Doodz this is prolly the end.  (Read 2008 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Doodz this is prolly the end.
« on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 15:31:01 »
Just got home from buying groceries from a curb side service.

Order online,

You drive into a parking lot, no one opens the car window, you write your order number and name on a paper and put it under your windshield.

A guy in a tyvek suit comes around looks at your number, gets your order, you pop the trunk, they put it in, and you leave.

Everything costs ~2x to 3.5x the cost of normal grocery store.

A surreal experience.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Doodz this is prolly the end.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 16:21:03 »
I don't trust the pickers. Who the hell says they are being safe in there?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 16:29:09 »
I don't trust the pickers. Who the hell says they are being safe in there?

Well, this is mostly to avoid going to the store,  the picker + veggie exposure vector is unavoidable,.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 16:41:50 »
Didn't even know curbside service was a thing. Home delivery services are booked up all too hell here, but most people are still going in-store themselves.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 16:43:15 »
Honestly I'd take going to the store over delivery from a bunch of strangers. At least at the store you can control all the variables, with grocery delivery there's a minimum of 3 strangers who will be directly interacting with your items between the time you order and when it is delivered. Go on your own and use self checkout and that number drops to zero.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 16:46:53 »
with grocery delivery there's a minimum of 3 strangers who will be directly interacting with your items between the time you order and when it is delivered.

It's not so bad over here, I spent 13 years working in retail management before moving into computing and it's a minimum of two, maximum of three for the most part, haha.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 17:08:15 »
It's not the end TP, of course there are people who want it look way worse than it is to profit from. You said it yourself prices are 2 to 3.5 times higher to get the crazy curbside. Grocery stores are still open & I agree with Noisy that at least there you can control the variables for yourself. Getting your food from a dude in a tyvek doesn't do much to protect you, if it's on them or the food you're getting it. That is if you haven't had it already TBH. I think there is/was a lot more cases out there than reported, especially before we went into lockdown mode. Right around the end of Jan. there was a nasty cold me & a bunch of the guys I was working with got, with as many of us that end up sick I wonder if I didn't already have it. Not saying you shouldn't be protecting yourself from it the best you can, just saying be pragmatic in the way you go about it. You gotta remember it's really not that fatal, it's just so damn contagious that if we don't try something to curb the spread deaths will be super high in the vulnerable populations. Add that with the deaths of healthy people that it gets & it could put a nasty dent in overall population. Even in that event I don't see society falling apart as there will still be plenty of healthy able bodied people to keep things going through all of it. I honestly think it would have to mutate in something decently more lethal to really pose a end level threat.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 17:21:34 »
It's not the end TP, of course there are people who want it look way worse than it is to profit from.

If you have ANY substantial money stashed away at all right now, THIS is the time to get easily rich quickly. That one guy turned like $20 million into a billion and a half during that initial huge market dive two weeks ago. That's what I really don't understand about the Bear Market. Isn't a time like this when smart [people would be buying the most stocks at the lowest prices? You are basically getting at least 150% returns in less than a year, $10k becomes $15, $200k becomes $300k etc.

The problem being only rich people have disposable income in crises time, so the system just makes the rich richer since they can comfortably profit off the current situation with far less risk and far more initial investment for bigger returns. You won't see Joe Shmo who makes $40k a year putting $20k into the market during a pandemic, even if it is a huge substantial return nearly guaranteed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 April 2020, 17:24:37 by noisyturtle »

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 17:49:00 »
Just got home from buying groceries from a curb side service.

Order online,

You drive into a parking lot, no one opens the car window, you write your order number and name on a paper and put it under your windshield.

A guy in a tyvek suit comes around looks at your number, gets your order, you pop the trunk, they put it in, and you leave.

Everything costs ~2x to 3.5x the cost of normal grocery store.

A surreal experience.

Show Image

Sounds more like a drug deal
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 17:50:36 »
It's not the end TP, of course there are people who want it look way worse than it is to profit from.

If you have ANY substantial money stashed away at all right now, THIS is the time to get easily rich quickly. That one guy turned like $20 million into a billion and a half during that initial huge market dive two weeks ago. That's what I really don't understand about the Bear Market. Isn't a time like this when smart [people would be buying the most stocks at the lowest prices? You are basically getting at least 150% returns in less than a year, $10k becomes $15, $200k becomes $300k etc.

The problem being only rich people have disposable income in crises time, so the system just makes the rich richer since they can comfortably profit off the current situation with far less risk and far more initial investment for bigger returns. You won't see Joe Shmo who makes $40k a year putting $20k into the market during a pandemic, even if it is a huge substantial return nearly guaranteed.

I completely agree. Me & my buddy were talking about this other day, speculating how much of the fear mongering on the news & govt's wishy washy response to the whole situation is the 1%'s manipulation to take advantage of the situation. Like everything the truth ultimately lies on both sides, this is definitely a bad situation & people are definitely manipulating it to profit from, but the super rich will just get even richer from this & the vicious cycle that is our current economy will keep churning. I watched this documentary, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLgwe63QyU4&feature=emb_logo, 97% Owned last night & found it really good at breaking down how our financial systems really do work & how corrupt they truly are. It's a good watch if you got the time!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 14:22:06 »

The funny thing is that I actually did try to profit off this a bit, but it was before people in the US were very worried about it, so I bought before everything hit rock bottom unfortunately. I put about $3k of my HSA money into an Energy Sector Index Fund because its price was going down (it had gone from something like $32/share to $26/share), but then Russia and OPEC started some fight and tanked the price of oil even more, so it went down to $16/share and I ended up losing anyway.

I also put $3k into a new Roth IRA like two weeks before everything nose dived; the only upside is that I won't be touching that money for a while, so they remain unrealized losses unless I sell stuff now, but I wish I'd waited a bit and put it in a regular investment account so that I could have bought stuff cheap and accessed the capital gains before retirement.

I picked literally the worst time to become interested in investing. One more month and it would've been the best time.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.