Author Topic: Am I crazy to think the basic Logitech / Microsoft mouse has the best shape?  (Read 34129 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Before I start I guess I'll have a little bit of introduction, my first mouse I ever used is a generic Logitech 2 button optical mouse that you can get for $5 from computer store.  Since then I've owned Logitech G5, Razer Naga, CM Storm Xornet.

I have also tried Razer Abyssus and Logitech G700 briefly.  But at work they have those generic HP mouse that look similar to this type of mouse:

Oddly enough I find I still like this shape the best, maybe because of my grip style or something (small hand + claw grip) but this makes me wonder why doesn't manufactures make gaming mouse with this shape?  I guess Zowie Mico is the only one that came to my mind but I heard huano switch sux also I think it's a bit hard to get Zowie gear in Canada so I haven't try it yet.  Though I do admit the only thing I miss is the back/forward buttons.  If only they can make something like this with a back/forward button then it would be awesome.

The only thing that I can think of that match the shape + back/forward button is probably Razer Copperhead or Razer Diamondback, and too bad they don't make them anymore :(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline swagpiratex

Are you just describing a Microsoft Intellimouse? That has a scroll wheel and side buttons. Don't they have that in the Intellimouse? It retains the basic shape. If that's the case, you can try out the SteelSeries Sensei.

Gaming mice were developed because they cater to a niche of users that prefer a specific grip. I don't think they bother with the general "non-gaming" populace  ;D

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/139/797/289/289797139_651.jpg

Like this?

I still think IME 3.0 is the best mouse I've ever used even after using Steelseries Sensei.
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Hyde

I think I didn't try Intellimouse or Sensei cuz it's a bit big for my hand.  Otherwise for the longest time I was considering getting a Kana, I think in the end I opt out because it has crappy UPE mouse feet also I heard the click pressure was somewhat hard.

Though I do have 1 white microsoft basic optical (the one showned in the picture at the top) lying around the house maybe I should give it a try and see how it goes :P  It has native 1000 dpi it's a bit slow for my taste but it's not too bad I guess lol

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
1000 dpi is slow? I play with 450-600 dpi.... If you have small hand, try Kinzu?
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 August 2012, 11:05:57 by akuJIWA »

quit

Offline Hyde

lol I play between the range of 1300-1600 DPI.  Though I have to say I'm pretty happy with my CM Storm Xornet right now, so I probably should save my money.  Though it's kinda like most people here we're always tempted to buy/try more mice/keyboards :P

Offline Hyde

Logitech G100

http://www.logitech.com/en-my/mice-pointers/mice/8397

Actually I just found out about this, I wonder when it's coming out.  Looks pretty promising except no back/forward button, but maybe Logitech realize they need something to compete against zowie mico / razer abyssus / steelseries kinzu lol

And OMG did you guys see the size of the teflon feet on that thing, Logitech is not holding back at all

EDIT:  Seems like it's been out already, I wonder if they're not bring it over to north america :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 August 2012, 16:00:39 by Hyde »

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
Logitech G100

http://www.logitech.com/en-my/mice-pointers/mice/8397

Actually I just found out about this, I wonder when it's coming out.  Looks pretty promising except no back/forward button, but maybe Logitech realize they need something to compete against zowie mico / razer abyssus / steelseries kinzu lol

And OMG did you guys see the size of the teflon feet on that thing, Logitech is not holding back at all

EDIT:  Seems like it's been out already, I wonder if they're not bring it over to north america :(

G100? Don't they have G400 already lol

quit

Offline swagpiratex

That looks like a good size for your style of grip. I wonder what's the most comparable wired version that's available here in the US.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
yeah man you are ****ing nuts*, better check into a hospital. couldnt be possible that marketing hype fails to deliver when it comes to consumer disposable electronics like mice. no way, you are out of your goddamn mind.

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Re: Am I crazy to think the basic Logitech / Microsoft mouse has the best shape?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 18:24:27 »
You're absolutely not crazy. Office mice are not necessarily worse than gaming mice. There's typically less DPI, fewer buttons, not so much stuff to set up in the drivers. Basic Logitechs and A4techs are lovely except for the dpi and I'm really wondering if I wouldn't be better off just getting an old cheapest A4tech like I'm used to (the old basic 3-button non-ergo shape) and just giving up 1:1 (would need to crank up the sensitivity in Windows). This said, Omron switches are good to have.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 September 2012, 18:26:32 by NewbieOneKenobi »

Offline Hyde

Re: Am I crazy to think the basic Logitech / Microsoft mouse has the best shape?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 19:36:02 »
I'm waiting on the new CM Storm Recon, hopefully it will be close enough in size and shape.  But from the pictures I've seen it looks a bit bigger than how I liked, I guess I'll find out when it's finally released.

Otherwise the old Logitech G3 seems like a good option too, too bad the new G300 just failed bad in shape.  It's like whyyyyy Logitech whyyyyyyyy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 05:53:12 »
That Microsoft mouse is exactly the model I am using at the moment.  I have tried a few other mouses, but settled on this one as the scroll wheel works, it is not too heavy, glides well over my desk, and although I have slightly larger hands it still seems to fit fairly well into my hand.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Velma

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:20:30 »
try Zowie AM

you dont have to worry about the dual-side buttons because they added it just to make sure it would be usable by both left and right handed people, you can disable to buttons on either side.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:22:56 by Velma »

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 23:35:37 »
AM is a bit too big compared to those. The steelseries Kinzu V2 Pro is probably your best bet, although the sensor isn't the best it is still miles better than the ones you mentioned in the original post.
really good button quality and nice scroll wheel.

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 02:14:26 »
I like my cheap Gear Head LM6000U laser mouse ( was $12 at Microcenter). It has 1600dpi, fast and accurate response and decent buttons/mousewheel. I actually prefer it to my Logitech Anywhere MX, which has an odd scrollwheel and 800dpi.

It doesn't always 'work' however: If I am switching from one computer to another, I have to keep the GH unplugged for 5-7 seconds before plugging back in or else it won't work.

It's less bean-shaped than the Intellimouse, but its close and just big enough to feel nice in my palm.

Now I need to get a TKL or compact keyboard to make reaching for the mouse less of a pain.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline Saturn

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:51:39 »
To me, the most perfectly shaped mouse of all time was the MS Intellimouse Optical.  Ambidextrous, not too big or too small.  Fit my hand just perfectly (both hands, actually).

I think the Steelseries xai and sensei use a nearly identical shape, but I don't like the +5% acceleration built into the sensor or the unnecessary features.

Offline ra7c7er

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 08:33:42 »
Best shape is subjective so no it's not crazy but then again it won't be the best shape for everyone.

Offline xorpher

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 08:39:30 »
Logitech MX510 is my favorite mouse, though I'm sure it's successors are even better.
My current MX has lasted about 6 years, so I can attest to its quality as well.

It's the perfect shape for my hand to rest perfectly atop. And I find having the two thumb buttons a massive
help while browsing the internet as well as in some games, though for gaming I have started using the
Naos 3200 due to it's better optical performance and variable DPI.

But in terms of comfort, I find the Logitech MX mice cannot be beat.

Offline raisinbun

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 21:49:44 »
Logitech MX510 is my favorite mouse, though I'm sure it's successors are even better.
My current MX has lasted about 6 years, so I can attest to its quality as well.

It's the perfect shape for my hand to rest perfectly atop. And I find having the two thumb buttons a massive
help while browsing the internet as well as in some games, though for gaming I have started using the
Naos 3200 due to it's better optical performance and variable DPI.

But in terms of comfort, I find the Logitech MX mice cannot be beat.

You should have looked at G400 instead :rolleyes:

Offline Internauta

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 00:03:53 »
I think the Steelseries xai and sensei use a nearly identical shape, but I don't like the +5% acceleration built into the sensor or the unnecessary features.
Those features can all be turned off using their Steelseries Engine software.
I love my Steelseries Sensei, and the on-board profiles and logos are a really nice touch.

Offline snooze2looze

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 12:52:18 »
Yes you are crazy.

MX518.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
I actually think that the old MS Mouse 2.0 wasn't a bad design at all. Sure it's not ambidextrous, has no scroll wheel and is mechanical - but the shape itself is pretty good assuming right-handed use. We have a stash of those in the server (/ computer crap storage) room @work, typically yellowed badly but presumably functional. I may have to grab one next time I'm there. Modding some modern innards into one of these might be interesting...

In general I never had much of a problem with old, comparatively flat mice. The Intellimouse Optical 1.1 proved a little too high and bulbous.

BTW, what do people think of Fujitsu M480/500T (K431/426) mice? I got a K431 with my PC at work, not a bad shape at all and runs like crazy on big teflon feet. Seems like one doesn't go broke buying one either.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Internetlad

Honestly, no. Not because I don't think it does, but because everybody has different hands. The best shape for you won't be the best shape for me. Hell between the basic differences in hand sizes and finger length, some people prefer the "claw" grip and some prefer the "finger extended" grip.

I met a lady who, I **** you now, could NOT use a mouse unless it was flipped upside down so the buttons were facing TOWARDS her. WTF right?
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline modulor

I used a standard Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.1 as my primary for a long time and loved it, but I find ambidextrous mice a bit uncomfortable for regular use.  A previous employer had upgraded their desktop systems back in 06' and got a bunch of MX518, so I acquired one and used it for about 3 years.  I upgraded from that to the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, and found it to be much more comfortable for my hand, and as solid (if not more so) than the MX518.  The larger shape is definitely ideal for my hand size and palm grip, and I now use it at work since my last home mouse upgrade a year ago, a DeathAdder 3.5. 

As much as I dislike most of Razers products, I've really enjoyed the DA 3.5 so far.  It has a great sensor and is similar enough in shape to the MIE 3.0 to be a decent successor, as I was looking for something with higher DPI options.

Offline NKRO

I think back in the days when mice were relatively new and still seeing active development on the fundamentals, companies like Microsoft and Logitech probably devoted a lot more resources to the ergonomics and design of their mice. These days, most people either use their laptop trackpad, whatever is supplied with their system, whatever is cheapest and available locally, or they are gamers. Gamers are the only group willing to spend real money on a mouse, so they are focused on aesthetics over ergonomics.

These days, it seems like they are trying to come out with newer designs with flashy LEDs, the highest DPI numbers possible, or slick marketing campaigns rather than focusing on what actually matters.

Offline Internetlad

Other than one of the quick key buttons on the side breaking (I assume a plastic tab came out of place or broke because the unit basically fell inside the mouse and will only function if you press the very bottom of it where it still sticks out) I've had no issues with my deathadder.

I don't care much since there is a second button right beside it that I now use as my talk key, but still that's pretty frickin shoddy for a 50 dollar product. That said I was probably bashing it with my thumb like a madman.

Unicomp needs to make a mouse made of heavy plastic, metal and buckling spring buttons.

Gamers are the only group willing to spend real money on a mouse, so they are focused on aesthetics over ergonomics.

A very broad statement, and one I disagree with. As a gamer I very much consider the ergonomics of the size, weight and form of my input products, and people who play professionally would literally be shorting themselves to not consider buying a product suited towards their body (see my prevous post)

I'm sure there are scrubs that crap their pants when they see an LCD on the top or side of their mouse, but they're the same people who go crazy for cold cathode interal glow, windowed cases, LED underglow for their mazdas and what word Apple can make up for an existing technology this week. (RETINA DISPLAY. . . You mean IPS?)

/rant
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 October 2012, 16:19:04 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline NKRO

A very broad statement, and one I disagree with. As a gamer I very much consider the ergonomics of the size, weight and form of my input products, and people who play professionally would literally be shorting themselves to not consider buying a product suited towards their body (see my prevous post)

I'm sure there are scrubs that crap their pants when they see an LCD on the top or side of their mouse, but they're the same people who go crazy for cold cathode interal glow, windowed cases, LED underglow for their mazdas and what word Apple can make up for an existing technology this week. (RETINA DISPLAY. . . You mean IPS?)

/rant
Yes, but people that hang about on keyboard forums are not the mass-market gamer audience most gaming mice are targetted at. Mice like the Razer DeathAdder, Roccat Savu, Logitech G400 etc. that use "perfect" sensors are low-end or mid-tier gaming mice. The "best" mice are all wireless laser mice with 5000+ DPI (anything over 1600 is worthless) covered in LEDs and all sorts of other things to try and sell a "premium" product, with the design mostly intended to look impressive rather than being focused on ergonomics first.

And FYI, "Retina Display" is not just about using an IPS panel, it is about pixel density, such as having 2880x1800 on a 15" display rather than the standard 1440x900/1680x1050 panels regular laptops have and color accuracy. (most "retina displays" are 100% sRGB with accurate gamma and near 6500K white balance)

Offline tcv

I like the Intellimouse but after using Razer and Logitech products, I've learned that logitech makes the best mice.

Razer mice have the glossy feel and are very shiny. I prefer logitech. Their feel is great and they're made for performance, not for looks.

Offline Hyde

Yeah I kind of realize that after I used my work's cheapo $5 HP mouse, it's actually exactly the same shell / shape as the logitech basic mouse.  I brought my das keyboard to work but I didn't bother to change the mouse because those are actually super comfortable to use.  It's a shame that gaming companies doesn't realize the basics of ergonomics anymore.

I'm currently waiting on the CM Storm Recon because I believe it should have the closest size and shape to what I'll like.  (I have small hand and use claw grip btw)

I'll keep you guys updated if I end up getting one :D

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
"Am I crazy to think the basic Logitech / Microsoft mouse has the best shape?"

You certainly are not crazy. They are much better for me when i play fps games.
I have a theory.
If you have a mouse that fits your hand like a glove, you wont have the same reflexes etc, because you tend to relax more.
If you have a mouse that isnt, a mouse similar to Microsoft basic, intellimouse 1.1 etc, you are not very relaxed in your hand, and therefore much more focused..

I think you get the picture. Anyone else had any thoughts to this? :P:P

Offline Hyde

LOL I'm not sure about that theory, but I'm glad someone from overclock.net thinks the same :P

http://www.overclock.net/t/1311046/mice-with-similar-design-as-hp-mouse

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
My previous fav mouse was the razer diamondback and razer krait.
2bad the sensor is outdated :(

Have one NIB :P

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
I've been using my logitech G5v2 for at least  4-5 years now. Perfect size for claw grip, and the recessed space for the thumb fits nicely. The two thumb buttons are also very nicely placed for access, though I rarely ever use them now.

I leave mine at 1600 DPI all the time on a 22.5(school) and 23.5(home) monitor. Wish they kept the G5 design, the G500 isn't quite as good imo.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Hyde

I had a G5 before but I find the button clicks too hard, maybe because my hand is small so I was forced to press it further back (where it requires more force).  But I can imagine it would be good for people with bigger hands.

Though I also pick up my mouse a lot so I don't like mouse with "butt" that angled downward into the table.  Example:  All SteelSeries mice, Razer DeathAdder / Mamba / Taipan, Logitech G400 / G500, Microsoft Intelli Mouse ... etc

In my opinion those feel more like a palm mouse than claw/fingertip.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Does anyone know where I can get a Logitech G100, the New version?

Never mind, found it, $30 kinda steep.  :))

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
Does anyone know where I can get a Logitech G100, the New version?

You can buy it as a package with a crappy keyboard on most sites. Dont you have pricerunner? :P :P

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
I've been using my Mx518 for around 6-7 years and it's been "replaced" with a G500. By "replaced" I mean it's still on my desktop but it's now in a more of a backup kinda role. I'm really loving the free-scroll on the G500 and the third thumb button.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
I've been using my Mx518 for around 6-7 years and it's been "replaced" with a G500. By "replaced" I mean it's still on my desktop but it's now in a more of a backup kinda role. I'm really loving the free-scroll on the G500 and the third thumb button.

Every time you use the g500 from now on, You'll be thinking, argg. this thing has acceleration...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏

Every time you use the g500 from now on, You'll be thinking, argg. this thing has acceleration...

It was jarring at first but I turned it off for the most part.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter

It was jarring at first but I turned it off for the most part.

How did you do this, I thought it was an inherent attribute of the sensor?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 15:05:38 by davkol »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I will agree with you, and I think my Microsoft mouse is older than yours and wider at the back.

Since going left-handed for desktop mousing, I gave up on anything but symmetrical mice, since I never know how the laptop will sit.

I have big hands, and use extended fingers. I also pick the mouse up quite often, so it must be easily gripped for that. Probably for that reason, side buttons have never appealed to me, and I never game.

When I alternate, after some days, weeks, or months, I almost always like the change.

"Boy this skinny Logitech is light and easy."

or

"The big bottom on this Microsoft makes it easy to push around."

I have at least 2 or 3 of each of these mice, when I see one in good condition at a yard sale or salvage store, I pick it up.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mattrm

• matthewmoore.org.uk
Personally, I've always liked the Microsoft Intellimouse shape the most.  They don't seem to make them any more and the newer models aren't the same size.  Ought to buy a few more while you can still get hold of them incase my current one breaks.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Some of the cheap dell ones are nice cant find the model number but it is called a stock mouse I think.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5600970899811455762?q=dell%20mouse&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=9108080408047c79&bpcl=35243188&biw=925&bih=918&tch=1&ech=1&psi=XRF1UNC-PNSuqwHJ8YGYBQ.1349849433349.3&sa=X&ei=bhF1UOOvLujO2gXIrIH4Dw&ved=0CI0BEOUNMAE

Razer has the Deathadder, Abyssus, Salmosa, Salmosa Korean edition.(That was in order from size large to small)

Logitech maybe the best though.

On Logitech's higher end they have a nice Palm-grip mouse that is quite similar to the intelle-mouse. Performance MX(it is wireless)
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2012, 01:18:23 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
I finally scored a PS/2 Intellimouse 1.3A from The Stack(R). This one appears to have seen a fair bit of use and is crying out for a Retr0brite job, but after a little cleanup it's working just fine. About 10 years old by the looks of it, possibly acquired with P4/SDRAM machines (the last ones of which have been retired from active service recently). Datasheet says 400 ppi, and in fact it runs about as fast as my 400dpi opticals (if obviously a bit less smoothly). Last datasheet revision was in 2006... so those must have been among the last mechanicals sold.

Now that's a bit of a different grip compared to the Intellimouse Optical 1.1A or the Logitech M-BJ69. Compared to those, your hand sits a bit further back, and your fingertips are approximately in the middle of the keys rather than near the front edge. Clicks require a bit more force than on those newer rodents (less leverage). However, using the scroll wheel is a breeze. It has fewer clicks per revolution, but turns very lightly and never requires any contortions whatsoever. By contrast, the wheel on the Intelli Optical 1.1A seems impossibly high at times (partly because it does in fact rise above the keys a fair bit more, no doubt).

It appears that when the fingertips moved to the front edge, they forgot to shift the scroll wheel as well... or more likely, it just wasn't doable mechanically. Hence why scroll wheel ergonomics became a bit of a fail. Granted, the lil' Logitech isn't much worse than the MS oldie if you hold it the right way, but still, isn't that interesting?

JFTR, I don't exactly have small hands... fairly long fingers, in fact.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline chaumeow

• Does not like onions.
I don't pick up my mouse like you do, but at least the Logitech/Microsoft $10-$15 mouse are better than the $49 Mac Mouse.
I wonder if Logitech is being overlooked due the rising popularity of Razer...
Filco White Tenkeyless Ninja- Cherry MX Red | Das Black Model S - Cherry MX Blue | Matias Tactile Pro

Offline deegaf

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 17:10:56 »
I prefer Logitech mice over Razer or Microsoft.  It just feels better.  I have small girl hands and Logitech makes tons of those. I wanna try some Senseis though.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 22:04:03 »
I prefer Logitech mice over Razer or Microsoft.  It just feels better.  I have small girl hands and Logitech makes tons of those. I wanna try some Senseis though.

I thought about trying Sensei but I think it might be too big.  It's the largest SteelSeries mice.

Offline deegaf

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 05:35:08 »
I thought about trying Sensei but I think it might be too big.  It's the largest SteelSeries mice.
[/quote]

Ah, good to know. I've seen a couple of video reviews, but it's still kind of hard to see the size that way without actually trying it in person. 

Before I was into keyboards, I was into mice, and I've bought and returned so many mice it's not even funny... hahaha

Offline cwang1004

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 05:40:53 »
I still think Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical is the best mouse ever. This is very very subjective I know. hahaha

I came as a CS player and been using that mouse for more than 5,6 years. just feels right.
Realforce 87U Variable
HHKB Professional 2 Type-S

Leopold FC660M w/ brown
Filcos TKL w/ brown, clear.
KMAC2 87 w/ clear
KMAC1.2 87 w/ blue.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 08:16:25 »
I always liked those basic Logitech mice, They just simply did their job with no frills, and are dependable and last a long time.

Microsoft's old serial mice are also good--they'll last for decades. Got over 19 years on mine and still counting!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 09:57:29 »
To sit next to my Model M, I took an old MS mouse and replaced the innards with the latest version.  Looks old, runs new.  Plastic matches my Model M perfectly.

(Sorry, it is Saturday morning, and they are both at work -- and I am not, so no photos.)

Anyhow, I agree that the OP is not crazy.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Hyde

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 13:36:07 »
I wonder when they'll start making 5 button mouse standard though.  I think Razer Abyssus/Logitech G100/Zowie Mico are good shape/size and close enough to what I was looking for but I just wish they have side buttons.

Though maybe I should really just wait for Logitech G900 to come out.  Because I've come to realize I like laser better than optical, and that seems to be the ONLY claw laser mouse in the market right now.

Or G9X and Spawn need to have a baby then it will be perfect LOL (I like G9X sensor and Spawn shape).

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 03:22:55 »
I'm also a small hand, naga, claw user, I can't use other mouse without macros since then ... oh, maybe wait logitech g600 goes wireless. Sorry off topic  ;D
I thought Steelseries kana is your best bet. It doesn't matter about the big mouse feet, it depends on what kinda mouse pad you using?
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2012, 03:26:29 by quake4mhg »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 13:54:19 »
I'm also a small hand, naga, claw user, I can't use other mouse without macros since then ... oh, maybe wait logitech g600 goes wireless. Sorry off topic  ;D
I thought Steelseries kana is your best bet. It doesn't matter about the big mouse feet, it depends on what kinda mouse pad you using?

LOL ironically I actually only use 1 button on my Naga, I really just got it for the size and shape.  Oh and from what I heard G600 is a bit big so might not be good for us if we find Naga size is good.

I was so close from buying Steelseries Kana, the mouse feet is not a big issue because I'll most likely get replacement ones.  Though now I'm concerned about the gloss finish.  I tried Razer Naga Hex and my hand sweat like a mofo.  I think I'm still more used to matte finish.  I guess the black Kana is matte but I like the white color theme better.

But in the end I think I grew to like laser mouse so maybe I'll just keep waiting on G900, or the next gen Spawn if the dpi step is close enough to what I want  :P

Offline YMSNoms

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 16:18:55 »
Steel series sensei is my favorite in any case.
Leopold FC700R
Filco Majestouch-2 Multicamo
Korean FR4-87 Lambo Orange Custom

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 18:39:36 »
I always liked these mice from Microsoft:

They've very well-built and dependable, and will last basically forever.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Hyde

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 14:01:29 »
Steel series sensei is my favorite in any case.

I wish my hand is big enough to use sensei  :(  Does look pretty close to perfect.

Offline Henkers

• Youtube
I'm not a fan of ambidextrous mice.

Offline Shuki

If you were considering the mico, I could recommend it. The switches actually feel really good (however for some reason I think mine has omrons but I could be wrong) the scroll wheel had very soft indents but it still good quality. I would use the mouse but its a bit to short and wide, I prefer the razer krait which is longer and narrower.

There has been a gap in the market for a good mouse with a smaller profile, so you are definitely not crazy.

If you can wait a few months it may be worth trying Ninox's new mice, they are slightly longer and narrower again, all depends if you like the shape.

Offline Hyde

Nice this looks pretty good !!!  If I remember correctly it's been delayed till June isn't it.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
I like a lot of cheap mice now that I don't really use trackballs anymore.  To me it is all about feel, I tried my brother's Razer Abyssus and I noticed no improvement in my FPS aiming, I do quite well with a cheap mouse that came with some Acer computer.  I bought a cheap old generic mouse on eBay (called "Take me home" of all things they could name it) and I can't wait to get it.  A large enough mouse that fits comfortably in my hand is good enough.  A simple no-frills mouse is good enough for many people.  I actually prefer cheap things like this because I admire simplicity and value in a product.
Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?

Offline Joxx

I am also not a fan of weird shaped, I have had a Deathadder , Naga and they were way too big and weird shape. I am currently using the steelseries Xai which is a basic shaped mouse with side buttons.
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline caiges

If we're talking general use here not gaming or spending $$$ on their gear then there are no words to describe how great *some* of their designs have been. Their achilles heel has always been the scroll wheel IMO.

Offline tauburn

really any mouse that has no acceleration is ideal, but the shape is more important because sensor issues are not as noticeable as discomfort.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
really any mouse that has no acceleration and on-board memory is ideal, but the shape is more important because sensor issues are not as noticeable as discomfort.

FTFY ;)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
On board memory isn't so much of a requirement for those of us who use the same computer all the time.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
On board memory isn't so much of a requirement for those of us who use the same computer all the time.

But that's because your home computer is also your work computer :p

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Actually, it might be, as that allows you to use the mouse without driver software running, makes it easier if you have more than one mouse that you use and if you use the same mouse for both a desktop and a laptop, and quite a few people, at least on GH, do have both a laptop and a desktop computer by the looks of it.

Offline tauburn

i have a mouse for each computer so i never care about on board memory. having to carry my mouse around with me isnt worth the small cost of getting more than one.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I keep going back to my old Microsoft "Wheel Mouse Optical" for my left hand (because there is no left hand Wow Joy Pen) and it never fails to feel and work great.

My only annoyance with it is that whenever I hook it up to a new computer, or after a significant change to the Windows OS, it insists on downloading some huge load of driver files. That seems ridiculous since it is a totally basic mouse with 2 buttons and a wheel.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
You are not crazy, I also found that the basic ambidextrous shapes work best for me, and that I do not like heavy mice.

Mice like the WMO 1.1 are much more comfortable than a lot of those "ergonomic" mice that are sold. I have the Zowie AM (selling if anyone is interested) but I felt it was too narrow for me. Now I am using the Zowie FK and feel that the shape is almost perfect. I am really enjoying this mouse. The Steelseries Sensei also has a terrific shape imo, though I opted for an optical sensor instead. I also like that it is driverless, which is a plus for me. The huano switches do not bother me in the least, though many people seem to prefer Omron.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:53:27 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I used to love the RX250. In fact, I used only symmetric mice (except the M500 and a thumb trackball) until last year. However, I've realized since then that ambidextrous mice require my hand to be oriented parallely with the pad, which is far from natural. WMO and Zowie MiCO are back in the closet, and I use them only for occasional gaming.

Symmetric trackballs on the other hand...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

I've realized since then that ambidextrous mice require my hand to be oriented parallely with the pad, which is far from natural.

Turn your pad on an angle.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
The mouse would slide down then, wouldn't it?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
The mouse would slide down then, wouldn't it?

Ha Ha. I meant in the horizontal plane. I keep my chair high enough so that my forearm is parallel to the ground.

I still use the standard mouse on the left because I can't find a left-hand mouse that I like.

Offline tooki

I used to like ambidextrous mice. In principle, I still do. But as my RSI progressed, I moved first to a semi-ergo shape (a Microsoft Explorer Mouse, once Microsoft's top of the line) and then to a fully-ergo one (Logitech Performance Mouse MX). It took getting used to, but it does help my hand. Not enough to cure it, though: I mostly use a Magic Trackpad with my left hand now, so my right can have a break.

It's not until you switch to an ergonomic mouse for a week or two that you notice just how much it reduces strain on the wrist. I'd recommend using one before RSI symptoms emerge, because it's really, really hard to make those problems go away.

Offline Hyde

I used to like ambidextrous mice. In principle, I still do. But as my RSI progressed, I moved first to a semi-ergo shape (a Microsoft Explorer Mouse, once Microsoft's top of the line) and then to a fully-ergo one (Logitech Performance Mouse MX). It took getting used to, but it does help my hand. Not enough to cure it, though: I mostly use a Magic Trackpad with my left hand now, so my right can have a break.

It's not until you switch to an ergonomic mouse for a week or two that you notice just how much it reduces strain on the wrist. I'd recommend using one before RSI symptoms emerge, because it's really, really hard to make those problems go away.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you.  Except I still like ambidextrous mouse except I couldn't find one with laser sensor that's small enough for my hand.  So I'm stuck with ergonomic small laser mouse (Naga, G9X) by chance and it might've been better for me without me realizing it.

Though recently I've been really tempted to get a Logitech G100s because it basically has that favourite shape that I like  >______>  too bad no side buttons and not laser sensor.

Taipan is closest but too long.  So the waiting game continues......

Offline velvetdon25

Hyde, have you tried the Zowie EC2 Evo? It's smaller but has the shape of the IME 3.0/Deathadder.

Offline Hyde

Uh not yet, but I don't think I'm a fan of mice that flare out at the bottom like this /___\, I much prefer this \___/ kind of shape.

This reminds me does anyone know when is the Ninox mouse actually coming out?

Also at the moment, which would you guys say is the best?  Logitech G100s or Razer Krait 2013 or Roccat Kone Pure?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I don't think I'm a fan of mice that flare out at the bottom like this /___\, I much prefer this \___/ kind of shape.

Here, here

My skin tends to be dry, and it is impossible to pick up the first type to move it around.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
I prefer to use a mouse as little as possible.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline jonathanyu

If you like this shape, I think sensei is a good choice for you ;) I am using sensei right now, and I also love it's shape, which just like a basic mouse.

Offline Hyde

Yeah I actually did want a Sensei, but it's just too big for my hand.  I prefer smaller mice.  I did consider Kana before but in the end I figure there are just better small mice out there.

Kind of why I narrow down to the 3:

Logitech G100s - Perfect shape, but buttons clicks feels kind of stiff and mushy.  Also no side button.

Razer Krait 2013 - Seems to be the perfect shape too, but kind of expensive also I can only get it through another country from eBay at the moment.  Also no side buttons.

Roccat Kone Pure - Nice size, click buttons and scroll wheel.  Also has 16.8 million color LED light.  Has side button.  Only drawback is that I think I prefer the shape of the above 2 a little bit more (ambidextrous).

Offline jonathanyu

The size of the sensei is a little bit to big for me too, but it is a really good mice.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
I loved the shape of the sensei but it had a terrible laser and the LMB broke in a months :\
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline remedyhalopc

If the Sensei didn't have on board acceleration and an optical sensor it'd be my favorite mouse and a worthy successor to the Intellimouse.