Author Topic: Logitech Trackman Doubleclick repair - Replace the switches! [Lots of images]  (Read 6482 times)

Offline danrulz98

Good morning everyone and Merry Christmas!
A friend sent me his Logitech Trackman to replace the switches on, and I thought it might be worth posting a thread on because it was a bit different from my previous repair thread, which was a Logitech M705.
Of course, it suffers the same Omron D2FC switch failures that plague all Logitech mice and give us the beloved "double click issue".

Honestly, a lot of the tutorials out there involve opening the switch and bending the leaf spring back into shape, but seriously... this is way faster, easier, and more permanent. Just... you need some tools and to spend a couple bucks on new switches.
We spend $100 on a keyboard and call it a good deal, we can spend $5 to repair a mouse.

Materials:
Your choice of new switches, as before I used the Cherry DG13s which are massively overkill for the purpose... they're rated for a minimum of 1 million actions mechanically, and have an electrical rating of 3 amps at 125 volts. They require twice the operating force of the old Omron switches, so if you don't want your mouse to be quite so stiff, look around Mouser for a similar switch with a lighter actuating force. The main thing is it has to be the same size and pinout.
A soldering iron.
Screwdrivers.
Something to desolder with (see optional)

Optional
Desoldering iron
Desoldering pump
Solder wick
Rubbing alcohol

Click the images to see them larger! I made them "medium thumbnails" so the page wouldn't be too bogged down.

The mouse before

Don't worry, it's not wireless.. I already kinda took it apart before taking the picture and I disconnected the cord.

Let's start by removing all of the screws from the bottom

Don't forget about the one under the label

Pretty basic internals, I was supprised

This children, is called sebum...

And there's our favorite Omron switches, both for the mouse button and that extra little button. I had to do some experimenting to make sure I was replacing the correct switch (its the horizontal one)

Push on this black tab and swing the switch PCB forward, do this for both sides

To the land of hot soapy water for you - this is how I cleaned everything, it won't hurt it

Now for the fun.
Money shot of the Hakko 807 that everyone was curious about before. Desoldering with this iron makes the switches just fall off.

When removing the switches, be sure to note the orientation of them...
Bye bye Omron switch

Old Omron switches, new Cherry DG13s

Proper tools make light work... Seriously, even if you aren't going to invest in a desoldering iron, you should invest in a decent soldering iron. I got this old Ungar off of ebay, and it's fantastic.

New switch installed

And snap it right back together

The buttons are a lot stiffer now. It seems like the origonals are almost a hair trigger, but with the DG13s they actually have a really nice solid feel. As stated before, the DG13s have about twice the operating force of the old Omron switches, they take about a pound of force to actuate them.

Pretty easy to snap back together, just follow the instructions in reverse.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2015, 15:57:57 by danrulz98 »

Offline danrulz98

Cool stuff..

Do you happen to know a reliable source for omron D2F F37

Personally I would avoid Omron switches in general, particularly the D2F series. But you could check Mouser and Digikey, those are the most reliable places I've been able to find microswitches in general.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Cool stuff..

Personally I would avoid Omron switches in general, particularly the D2F series. But you could check Mouser and Digikey, those are the most reliable places I've been able to find microswitches in general.

why avoid omron.. 

Offline danrulz98

Cool stuff..

why avoid omron.. 
Show Image

This whole thread is about replacing failed Omron switches ;) They have quite the reputation of failure. Check out the Cherry ones I linked to in the original post

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Very interesting!  I have two of those trackballs so if there's issues, now I know where to come.

Interestingly enough, my parent's house gate also uses Omron switches to sense the gate position and adjust the motor speed...and I have to replace them every few years.  There's a Panasonic replacement for those though that I haven't tried yet.