Author Topic: Earbuds for running?  (Read 12750 times)

Offline Naweo

Earbuds for running?
« on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 20:44:15 »
Yo!

I am looking for earbuds for running. I only run on treadmill so safety is not an issue, and I would like strong noise cancellation for hearing safety.

I used my standard HTC 1 m8 earbuds and they are actually quite comfortable to run with, but the sound quality and nose cancellation is not great.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Earbuds for running?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 20:55:07 »
If you're on a treadmill.. Try Speakers.. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA..

there are no truly good sounding earbuds for running, because it's impossible to dull the Thud sound as the cord contacts your body.. 

Even if you took care of the cord problem by tape-ing it to your neck,  There will still be a Loud thud from your foot strikes.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 20:57:41 »
I use Jaybirds bluetooth headphones, their second model.  I have tried many different types, but I have found that bluetooth is the way to go.  The sound quality is decent on these, I really have no complaints.  Will probably upgrade here soon.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 21:01:32 »
I use Jaybirds bluetooth headphones, their second model.  I have tried many different types, but I have found that bluetooth is the way to go.  The sound quality is decent on these, I really have no complaints.  Will probably upgrade here soon.
the new x3's from them look pretty awesome!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 April 2016, 23:45:35 »
Earbuds are bad enough, but running/exercise reduces oxygen levels, especially the ear only making it worse.

That doesn't even get into the whole problem of situational awareness when out on the street.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:03:52 »
Earbuds are bad enough, but running/exercise reduces oxygen levels, especially the ear only making it worse.

That doesn't even get into the whole problem of situational awareness when out on the street.

I'll take reduced situational awareness over the urban soundscape of automotive vehicles, lawnmowers, and barking dogs anyday.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:47:54 »

I'll take reduced situational awareness over the urban soundscape of automotive vehicles, lawnmowers, and barking dogs anyday.
You'll say that right up until the moment something happens.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 08:32:15 »
I agree about the awareness issue, if you are running anywhere BUT a gym you will want something that's not isolated - I got the Powerbeats 2 with this in mind as they do let in some outside noise (and yes, they're beats, but honestly they sound very balanced and are comfy).

If you truly don't care about being aware of the noises around you, then I second the Bluebuds by Jaybird. I want to get a pair myself and compare to my powerbeats.

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 16:16:49 »
Get Bose Ies current gen. They are incredibly light, won't fall out EVER and cost just about a $100.
Also sound pretty nice for casual listening. I think the ones that you can get right now are named "Bose SoundTrue" or something.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 17:45:39 »
ALso,

Exercise bike is the future...

In the time you take to put on running pants and shoes.

I'm already half way done with my workout on the exercise bike.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 20:03:12 »
I agree with the situational thing. In some neighborhoods, I had to pull one of my earbuds out so I could hear what was going on around me. I guess that's the reason I like open back headphones whether they are earbuds or circumaural headphones.

Offline Marizen

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 13:24:22 »
I love my Bose SoundSport.

They don't block out all the noise, so you can maintain situational awareness.

They have never fallen out. Reviews say they are very durable.

The cord is somewhat short compared to other earbuds, which is good because you don't have a cord flopping around all over the place while you're active.

There is a clip and in-line volume control.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:27:40 by Marizen »

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 14:36:33 »
I love my Bose SoundSport.

They don't block out all the noise, so you can maintain situational awareness.

They have never fallen out. Reviews say they are very durable.

The cord is somewhat short compared to other earbuds, which is good because you don't have a cord flopping around all over the place while you're active.

There is a clip and in-line volume control.

see, you know what I'm talking about!

Offline zisb

• Aluminium, learn to spell it.
    • zisb.io
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 21:23:31 »
Anything that clips around your ears should be sufficient. I used to jog wearing SE215's... until they went through the wash  :'(

Offline inosint

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 13:31:29 »
Anything that clips around your ears should be sufficient. I used to jog wearing SE215's... until they went through the wash  :'(
Love my se215's, they isolate sound so well and don't constantly fall out. I've had and used them for more than a year now and they still sound as great as the day I got them. Definitely worth a look if they're still being made.

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 16:27:14 »
Check out bone conduction headphones. Great for letting you still hear your surroundings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_conduction
I liek keyboards

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 21:15:55 »
WOW. You guys seen a lot of money on running earbuds. I got these for $30, they do not come out, period. They are not the best sounding, but they allow ambient sounds to get through for safety, but I run along the beach or sometimes a treadmill.

yurbuds Inspire 400 Earphones with Twistlock Technology and Flexsoft
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline typo

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 23:33:28 »
Before I got sick, I ran 10+ miles most days. Even though I am a very large man. I was still fit to a "T".  running with your ears plugged Is sooner or later going to make you very sorry. I will bet you on this. It is really stupid. The only way is Bluetooth. They are not even good Earbuds.  You can drop $2,500USd on great ones. Just do yourself a huge favor and get something not completely isolated.

Hey, is that your bird? nice! I have a few hook bills.

Offline nugglets

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 23:46:25 »
ALso,

Exercise bike is the future...

In the time you take to put on running pants and shoes.

I'm already half way done with my workout on the exercise bike.

RIP

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 23:50:16 »
Before I got sick, I ran 10+ miles most days. Even though I am a very large man. I was still fit to a "T".  running with your ears plugged Is sooner or later going to make you very sorry. I will bet you on this. It is really stupid. The only way is Bluetooth. They are not even good Earbuds.  You can drop $2,500USd on great ones. Just do yourself a huge favor and get something not completely isolated.

Wut?

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:08:17 »

Hi Typo!

Yes, the photo is of Smoochie, my little buddy, a male Blue Headed Pionus. He passed October 2011. I miss him so much!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline typo

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:17:52 »
I am so sorry.  I just lost my 24 year old cat. I was so sad because he made it to 24 which is very unusual.  I know it is very hard with a Parrot though because they are like little people.

Flood, what are you asking me?

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:23:34 »
I am so sorry.  I just lost my 24 year old cat. I was so sad because he made it to 24 which is very unusual.  I know it is very hard with a Parrot though because they are like little people.

Flood, what are you asking me?
I didn't see the post about the bird so I was confused about what you were talking about. My apologies.

Offline typo

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 21:03:50 »
No problem.

Offline Potatoes

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 03:32:26 »
WOW. You guys seen a lot of money on running earbuds. I got these for $30, they do not come out, period. They are not the best sounding, but they allow ambient sounds to get through for safety, but I run along the beach or sometimes a treadmill.

yurbuds Inspire 400 Earphones with Twistlock Technology and Flexsoft

I agree with this. Regardless, the quality isn't going to be all that good. It's for exercise and it's earbuds...

Just give me something that's bluetooth, doesn't drop connectivity, stays in my ears, ideally the short cord only on the back like those Beats (but idc, for the longest time I used the earbuds that came with my phone to workout with), and something that's somewhat durable. I at least want a solid 1-2 years life if possible. I got some cheap 35 dollar ones on Amazon. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head right now. They do the trick.

And sorry to hear about your pets. I lost three dogs over the last year and a half. That's what I get for buying three puppies over a three year period.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 11:50:12 »
I have these ones by a company called otium, they are bluetooth come with a mic and come in multiple colors. Heres a pic-

hi.