Author Topic: Shall I go for mechanical or normal keyboard?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline bondhu

Shall I go for mechanical or normal keyboard?
« on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 12:36:42 »
I am asking this question with regards to me being a programmer?

I have always used a normal keyboard so I am not quite sure how mechanical keyboards work. I read on this webpage: http://www.laptopforprogramming.com/best-keyboard-programming/ that there are all sorts of actuation points and weight of the keys.

I am simply looking for precision as that is very important for me. So shall i stick with normal keyboard? If not, then which mechanical keyboard will you suggest?

My budget is $50-$69

Thanks

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Shall I go for mechanical or normal keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 13:28:00 »
a mechanical keyboard is more durable than the  more common  silicone membrane sheet keyboards.

precision will be the same, you as the user determines that end..

How it feels, how you'd like it to feel,  that all falls under -- flavor -- of the month..

The hipsters on this forum will tell you they like this, or that,  depending on how cool it is,  typically inversely proportional to availability of said keyboard.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 13:55:21 »
This is a broad, difficult question to answer since most is just personal preference.  You can find mechanical keyboards that start in the 50 dollar range.    The ones in the 90 to 130 range may be a little better built, and you go up from there. Amazon is a good place to start and you can check out a place like mechanicalkeyboards.com.

Mechanical is not necessarily better, just different.  From a strictly ergonomic view most will find them more comfortable as they actuate at about 1/2 of a keypress so you don't have to slam down your fingertips and they reduce repetitive stress.

I'll refrain from giving my opinion on what is best because it is pointless.  You will want to look at switch type- tactile vs tactile with an audible click, vs linear which have no detectible actuation point and the keystroke is smoother.  You can look and brands of switch- Cherry and Cherry clones (some of these less expensive clones have proven themselves and have quite a following sugh as "Gateron"), Matias switches, and then you have Topre which is a little out of the range you specified, but is built a little different.  The types are sometimes labeled by color like blue, red, or brown, but these colors are not always uniform across manufacturers.

Switch weight is preference and is highly subjectible.  Being a programmer I would assume you want something lighter in the 35 to 50gf range (many find 35 too light to be practible), but you also have the middle which is about 55-65gf range, and then you have the heavier ones in the 70 or greater range.  These may be tiring if you spend many hours at the keyboard.  As a point of reference you keyboard that came with your computer is most likely a rubber dome keyboard and may take something like 60 grams of force to actuate the key. (or a scissor switch which you see on many laptops, which has a different design)

You also have keyboard size- most programmers will want a full board, but there is also TKL or ten-key-less which are missing the numbers on the right, and there are many keyboards which are also sized about 60-70%.  These smaller ones may not have dedicated keys like home and end or arrows which you probably use and are hidden behind a function layer.  Strictly from ergonomics I like the smaller 60% or 70% keyboards.

All of this can be researched on this forum and you will find many knowledgeable people who are very helpful, and well sometimes very opinionated, and fun.

Alright I killed some free time, now I have some sh*# to do.

*oh, and keycap material- ABS vs PBT vs some others. ABS is generally lighter and smoother textured, while PBT is heavier and has a grittier texture.  These can affect how the actual keypress feels.

« Last Edit: Wed, 26 April 2017, 14:00:49 by jcoffin1981 »
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 13:55:26 »
What matters at the end of the day is how the keyboard feels for you.
I would suggest that you visit a few physical stores that cater to "gamers" and who would have a few keyboards on display that you could try typing on.

If you are looking for precision: almost all mechanical keyboards actuate (trigger) somewhere in the middle of the stroke and not at the bottom. That means that for some of the popular switches ("black", "red") there is no tactile event when that happens that would provide your fingers with feedback.
The tactile keyboards have either "blue" switches (which make clicky noises when they triggerr) or the so-called "clear" switches - but the latter is unfortunately still very rare and not something you would find within your budget (unless it is an unusual vintage find on eBay).

Offline ndumdr

• Jung Wheein
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 14:30:18 »
Honestly it's all preference. But for me, I cringe when I have to type on public computers with membrane keyboards after using mechanical keyboards for well over two years. I think typing on mechanical keyboards feels really comfortable and satisfying, so I would definitely recommend that you try one out yourself. Mechanical keyboard for me makes your typing faster with less mistakes, and also makes it fun. If you're uncertain about it, you should go to electronic stores (even "gamer-y" stores) to type on them and see if you like it or not.

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 16:02:50 »
I hope you also posted this question on the non-mechanical keyboard enthusiasts forum for another data set of opinions :)
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 05:38:44 »
Is there a rubber-dome-over-membrane ErgoDox? No, there isn't. There's your answer. ^_^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 22:31:56 »
Have you got a friend with a mechanical keyboards?  Is there a store near you where you can try a mechanical keyboard or two?  Is there a keyboard meetup soon that you could attend?

Any of the above will allow you to try a mechanical keyboard for at least a few minutes to see whether it might be right for you.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 02:35:39 »
Have you got a friend with a mechanical keyboards?  Is there a store near you where you can try a mechanical keyboard or two?  Is there a keyboard meetup soon that you could attend?

Any of the above will allow you to try a mechanical keyboard for at least a few minutes to see whether it might be right for you.
Exactly, the world of switch choices along with size choices makes for well a lot decisions that you as the user has to find out.
Unfortunately, we can't say what you will be most precise on. You are going to have to try out a bunch of switches and weights to find what suits your typing style.