Author Topic: VPN is not working at school anymore, what other options do I have?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline jjanssen1

Hi all,

Recently, the VPN I used at school stopped working (pretty sure that the school changed ISPs), and now I can do basically nothing as most websites are blocked.

I have tried using Shadowsocks and other SOCKS5 proxies, but nothing is working.

So I have a question for the sysadmins/network managers of geekhack: what other options do I have?

Thanks,
Josh
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: VPN is not working at school anymore, what other options do I have?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:19:18 »
ah skool..

I remember back in the day, I used the school's faster internet to torrent anime and brought in blank discs from bestbuy black friday sales, made the pirated discs on the school burners, and sold them from my locker..

Good times , good times..

My prices were very reasonable,  $1 per disc..

At $5 per 50 blank discs,  I was making pretty good return..

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:28:29 »
Heya

Are you on Mac?

I'm on mac at school and I use "Hot Spot Shield" from the App store, My school has been blocking VPN's for the past year and I have constantly got to find a new one, This one seems to be working quite well and is harder for the school to block as this is from the Apple App store and not the Google Chrome web store.

I'm sure it's on Windows too.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:31:04 »
Heya

Are you on Mac?

I'm on mac at school and I use "Hot Spot Shield" from the App store, My school has been blocking VPN's for the past year and I have constantly got to find a new one, This one seems to be working quite well and is harder for the school to block as this is from the Apple App store and not the Google Chrome web store.

Yes, I am on a mac
I was using hotspot shield as no other VPN worked, but that got blocked as well :(
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:42:14 »
Heya

Are you on Mac?

Yes, I am on a mac
I was using hotspot shield as no other VPN worked, but that got blocked as well :(

Damn your school is good at blocking, best of luck finding one that works!  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014