Author Topic: .  (Read 2521 times)

Offline novantix

« on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 17:59:44 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2019, 16:49:46 by novantix »

Offline Findecanor

Re: The kenesis advantage has Full N-Key Rollover
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 18:23:58 »
Welcome!
Did you get the Advantage or the newer Advantage2 ?

The Advantage has actually what is considered to be 6-key rollover. The 4 pairs of modifiers work with all other keys and the rollover number is counted as the smallest of all working possible key combinations, so the modifiers are not counted.
I.e. for x-KRO, there exists a combination of x + 1 keys, where the first x keys work together but not together with the one.

Why the Kinesis Advantage has precisely 6KRO, with the modifier keys treated separately is because it (like most other mechanical keyboards) is using a specific USB protocol that limits it to that - and because it is using that protocol is because it is known to have the least number of issues with different operating systems and BIOS:es.
Almost all keyboards are either 2-KRO, 6-KRO or N-KRO. Some keyboards are marketed as being 10-KRO or 14-KRO but those numbers are just including the modifiers (6+4 or 6+4×2) and not following the conventional definition.

My Kinesis Advantage does have a bug, however: If you hold 6 non-modifier keys and then press another non-modifier key, it will forget all of those keys. I have not heard that it has been fixed in another revision, but I have got confirmation that the Advantage2 does not have the bug.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 18:25:46 by Findecanor »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 00:43:09 »
Testing for NKRO just by pressing 7 keys is a very poor way. You could press 7 keys simultaneously on a 2KRO board ;) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline novantix

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 07:46:07 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2019, 16:50:10 by novantix »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 09:05:47 »
Thanks for the replies, sorry I did not know of any other ways I could test N-Key rollover, could you then show me what is a good way to test it?

Thanks.
The best way it to press all keys at once and see if they all register at the same time using some kind of keyboard tool. I use Switch Hitter.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 12:53:06 »
Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx
There is a web-app at the top of the page that will display which keys are currently pressed. The layout of the keyboard displayed is a little weird but don't let that put you off.

Offline novantix

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 15:15:54 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2019, 16:50:17 by novantix »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 16:21:24 »
But guys, that is what I did when I created the post. I used a keyboard input software to see how many keys pressed simultaneously it could support....
Don't just press a bunch of keys, try to press ALL keys.