Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1316200 times)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4250 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 02:46:48 »
@PadawanGeek - what brand are those. I like the look but I've had the chance to sit down and listen to these bad boys and there is no turning back.

Thankfully I live close to the manufacturer and I've been into their shop where they make them, tweek them, and show them off.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4251 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 05:05:03 »
It's by YG Acoustics, the top model for my friend's speaker system has two additional sub woofers.....but that one's was in the cool >100k mark. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/yg_acoustics_anat_reference_ii_professional_loudspeaker/index.html

My friend's speakers (minus the two passive subs) cost a cool 70k. It's made of aircraft grade aluminum (funny that auto-correct shows 'aluminium' as an error)and looks so damn awesome up close and personal.
http://stereotimes.com/post/yg-acoustics-%E2%80%93-anat-reference-ii-studio-loudspeakers

All I can say is, I now get why my friend is so focused on speakers systems and has largely ignored headphones (he has a Sennheiser BT Momentum)....the music was so......encompassing and so detailed, with layers of soundstage.....and here I am listening to my dinky Focal XS Book.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 05:10:09 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4252 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 15:11:02 »
It's by YG Acoustics, the top model for my friend's speaker system has two additional sub woofers.....but that one's was in the cool >100k mark. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/yg_acoustics_anat_reference_ii_professional_loudspeaker/index.html

My friend's speakers (minus the two passive subs) cost a cool 70k. It's made of aircraft grade aluminum (funny that auto-correct shows 'aluminium' as an error)and looks so damn awesome up close and personal.
http://stereotimes.com/post/yg-acoustics-%E2%80%93-anat-reference-ii-studio-loudspeakers

All I can say is, I now get why my friend is so focused on speakers systems and has largely ignored headphones (he has a Sennheiser BT Momentum)....the music was so......encompassing and so detailed, with layers of soundstage.....and here I am listening to my dinky Focal XS Book.

room giveth depth, that is for sure.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline skitty

« Reply #4253 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:34:11 »
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of headphones for under $100? I'd like a second pair to passively listen to music while doing work.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4254 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:15:53 »
Can anyone recommend a decent pair of headphones for under $100? I'd like a second pair to passively listen to music while doing work.
Kind of difficult to answer that without knowing what kinds of music you like

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4255 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:47:00 »

Sony MDRV6
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4256 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:29:03 »

Sony MDRV6

I'll agree here. I've owned these for over 3 years and even though I've upgraded they are built well, sound very good for the price, and fit your budget. Plus you can get it for less than $50 if you go with Amazon used options.

Offline skitty

« Reply #4257 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 19:34:25 »
Kind of difficult to answer that without knowing what kinds of music you like

I mostly listen to rock, metal, grunge...
Favorite bands include: Soundgarden, Audioslave, Pearl Jam, Tool.

Sony MDRV6

I'll agree here. I've owned these for over 3 years and even though I've upgraded they are built well, sound very good for the price, and fit your budget. Plus you can get it for less than $50 if you go with Amazon used options.

This looks like a nice option for that price. Thanks! :D

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #4258 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:42:13 »
I recently got a pair of V-moda XS's for my birthday, and they are AWESOME! They are such nice sounding! (I did have the luxary that my friend has the same pair so I knew what I was asking for!) Not to mention they are built like tanks. They're a little expensive (I was quite suprised when my parents got them as I thought them a little out of reasonable amount of money but hey! I have been loving this audio ascention.) Next on my list is going to be mechanical keyboard (after waiting 3 years of having no-money!  If only my laptop had not melted! I guess its good in a way as I now have enough to build rather than buy a cm storm!)

Basically V-moda XS are great but a little pricey!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4259 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 02:41:40 »
What is a good option to upgrade fidelio x2? I really really loves this can but I think there are other that are better than fidelio x2

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #4260 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 03:28:42 »
fostex th-x00 maybe .. sony z7 ... hifiman 400i/s or whatever the new model is. akg k7xx.. hd650 ... or the treble happy hd700
audio technica has some open cans aswell
Realforce 87U

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4261 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 09:24:47 »
What is a good option to upgrade fidelio x2? I really really loves this can but I think there are other that are better than fidelio x2
Open or close? Budget? Usage?

I was feeling bored, so I joined a MD for the NuForce uDAC-3 in red simply because I feel my C2Q rig (in a red NZXT Pahntom case) is kinda lonesome without a matching DAC. I expect to get it sometime in March, meanwhile, to stave off sheer and utter boredom, I bought a nice interconnect t for my Fiio X3 II + JDS Labs C5 stack...

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4262 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 21:05:43 »
If I'm looking for my first pair of "real headphones", would these be a good place to start at $150? http://m.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Premium-32-OHM-Headphones-/291680329089?nav=SEARCH

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4263 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 21:28:16 »
Why are they half price?

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4264 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 21:30:57 »
Why are they half price?

Probably liquidating inventory? Idk. I've bought photo gear from them so I'm not worried about the seller. My concern is is that a good first pair of cans to buy? I have nothing but $20 headphones right now.

EDIT: Wound up buying them. Focus Camera is an authorized dealer as well, so that's good. Hope I made a decent decision.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2016, 23:00:03 by whmeltonjr »

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #4265 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 23:21:49 »
you will need a good amp to drive the dt990's also some find them a bit metallic sounding.. some really love them, for gaming, movies they are very good.. for music for some genre's they work very well. if you are getting them half price then go for it.
Realforce 87U

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4266 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:05:38 »
you will need a good amp to drive the dt990's also some find them a bit metallic sounding.. some really love them, for gaming, movies they are very good.. for music for some genre's they work very well. if you are getting them half price then go for it.

These are the 32 ohm, so I don't think I need a good amp. I will invest in one down the road, but the fact that my phone should be able to drive these definitely played a part in me purchasing them.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4267 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:08:43 »
Metallic sound huh? Those vent things made me wonder if that would be a problem.

Offline xJudas

« Reply #4268 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:46:31 »
I'm trying to figure out a decent pair of IEMs. I mostly listen to death metal or music driven by high gain guitars. Looking for something balanced, not over powered with bass yet full bodied. Most of the reviews I come across are mostly talking about pop or edm type music.

I'm visiting a buddy's this weekend and he can get me Shure SE215s for $49 or Shure SE425s for $150. I'm unsure which one would be better suited for metal. Any ideas? Other suggestions are welcome as well. Just these two I can get a deal on.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 00:51:23 by xJudas »

Offline toxicdrift

« Reply #4269 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 01:03:25 »

These are the 32 ohm, so I don't think I need a good amp. I will invest in one down the road, but the fact that my phone should be able to drive these definitely played a part in me purchasing them.

the 32ohm version wont need one, i heard the 600 ohm version which definitely needs an amp.

Realforce 87U

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #4270 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 01:05:20 »
Just got some Astro a50's. Replacing my 8 year old a40's(they still work!)
I dont know much about hardware, but they are the most comfortable headset ever.
You audiophiles are cool. Teach me your ways.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:40:03 by fknraiden »

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4271 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:18:34 »
fostex th-x00 maybe .. sony z7 ... hifiman 400i/s or whatever the new model is. akg k7xx.. hd650 ... or the treble happy hd700
audio technica has some open cans aswell
nah I don't like too much treble cause I had a grado headphone and end up giving it to my brother cause damn that headphone makes my ear bleed
Open or close? Budget? Usage?

I was feeling bored, so I joined a MD for the NuForce uDAC-3 in red simply because I feel my C2Q rig (in a red NZXT Pahntom case) is kinda lonesome without a matching DAC. I expect to get it sometime in March, meanwhile, to stave off sheer and utter boredom, I bought a nice interconnect t for my Fiio X3 II + JDS Labs C5 stack...
Show Image

Open only  :thumb:

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4272 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 08:36:32 »
Open only  :thumb:
Seriously, the X2 is awesome and punches beyond its price bracket. If you wanna try perhaps something different (not 'better' per se) then perhaps you should give planar mags a try......like the HiFiMan HE400S/400i.

I bought some stuff today, a used pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900X LTD and so liking what I hear. Great treble energy (unlike the regular A900X which is said to be a bit too sparkly), good mids with good vocals, and punchy bass (no way near basshead level). This one's a perfect complement to my Alpha Dog, so I now have one orthodynamic and one dynamic can.

While I was at it, met up with the seller of a nice pair of ESI nEAR 06 speakers, each unit is self powered, and within each, there's a separate power amp for the bass and treble.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #4273 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:32:23 »
I use a pair of audio technica ath-m50x, is it even worth looking into some sort of amp setup?

If so, what's something that's a good entry level that I should check out?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4274 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 17:51:55 »
I use a pair of audio technica ath-m50x, is it even worth looking into some sort of amp setup?

Amp would be a bit overkill but you could invest in a dac.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #4275 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 18:34:16 »

I can recommend the FiiO E10k.
The sound from it is significantly better than the on-board audio I was using before (it's worth noting that it was a 5+ year old fairly inexpensive mobo).
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #4276 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 20:08:26 »
Anyone ever heard the Concero HP? Pretty neat amp/dac with a tiny foot print.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #4277 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 03:49:54 »
I have an Astell & Kern Ak240 on the way. Can't wait to hear how it sounds when paired with my UERMs :D
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Bomble

« Reply #4278 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:13:02 »

The sound from it is significantly better than the on-board audio I was using before (it's worth noting that it was a 5+ year old fairly inexpensive mobo).

Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely going to have a look into that one. I'm currently using the front headphone port on my case :(

Should I combo it with a soundcard too?

Amp would be a bit overkill but you could invest in a dac.

Ah righto, I'm not too good at all this headphone stuff, but an amp is just to supply more power (and thus impacting sound quality on higher-end pairs?) to the headphones that you're using right?

In that case, what does a dac do?

Would you recommend something like what Narwhals suggested?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4279 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:42:41 »
@Bomble, my question to you is.....does your present setup get loud enough for your M50X? If so, don't waste your money on amps as they simply make sound louder.....not necessarily better. I assume you're using your mobo audio, if the DAC in it is capable of decoding all the audio codecs (FLAC, AIFF, MP3, WAV, and DSD, last being capable only by external DACs AFAIK), then don't bother buying anything else.

FYI, external DAC's can be of two types, dedicated DAC or combo. The former is capable of decoding digital audio data into electrical signals or continuously variable voltage (analog) (or some malarkey like that). The latter DAC combos have an amp section built into it to power headphones.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2016, 22:47:47 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Bomble

« Reply #4280 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 04:53:48 »
@Bomble, my question to you is.....does your present setup get loud enough for your M50X? If so, don't waste your money on amps as they simply make sound louder.....not necessarily better. I assume you're using your mobo audio, if the DAC in it is capable of decoding all the audio codecs (FLAC, AIFF, MP3, WAV, and DSD, last being capable only by external DACs AFAIK), then don't bother buying anything else.

FYI, external DAC's can be of two types, dedicated DAC or combo. The former is capable of decoding digital audio data into electrical signals or continuously variable voltage (analog) (or some malarkey like that). The latter DAC combos have an amp section built into it to power headphones.

Plenty loud enough for sure, I guess I just totally misunderstood what and amp/dac does. I've never had any issue with any sort of audio codec so I guess I'm all good to just stick with what I've got already. Cheers for your help!

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4281 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 05:27:36 »
I have an Astell & Kern Ak240 on the way. Can't wait to hear how it sounds when paired with my UERMs :D

What made you choose the 240? I must admit it's a beautiful piece of kit

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #4282 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 06:12:32 »

Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely going to have a look into that one. I'm currently using the front headphone port on my case :(

Should I combo it with a soundcard too?
It's a DAC/Amp so you don't need anything else. You just plug it into a usb port and plug your headphones into it.

I'm currently using the front headphone port on my case :(
Use the back port on your case if possible, the front port tends to be noisy.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4283 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 10:23:45 »
Completely non-audio related, but I saw a pair of Asus GTX Titan going for about 533USD, I couldn't help myself and snagged them. Custom paint job in RoG red/black so appealed to me since I'm an RoG fanboy....

And yes, I'd noticed the dust on my PSU in the pic and have since cleaned it up.....

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4284 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 13:59:30 »
Completely non-audio related, but I saw a pair of Asus GTX Titan going for about 533USD, I couldn't help myself and snagged them. Custom paint job in RoG red/black so appealed to me since I'm an RoG fanboy....
Show Image

And yes, I'd noticed the dust on my PSU in the pic and have since cleaned it up.....

Need to get one of those custom sleeved psu cable kits for your psu ;)

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #4285 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 14:05:27 »
There's a computer thread around here somewhere actually... I am completely unmotivated to find it at the moment. :|
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #4286 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 17:05:16 »

What made you choose the 240? I must admit it's a beautiful piece of kit

Have a friend who had the AK100ii and then went to the AK240 and said good things about it, though she has the RWAK240. Also, from reviewers who tried most of the full range of AK products (minus the AK380 and AK320), it seemed like the AK240 was considered the best out of them. I managed to find a used one for a very good price so I decided to go for it.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline xJudas

« Reply #4287 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:50:50 »
Got my first pair of IEMs the other day, SE425s, and they sound excellent. Now I just gotta find some cables with a remote for when I'm on my bike :D

Offline djchup

• i write code
« Reply #4288 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 10:47:17 »
The headband broke on my JVC SZ2000's and I don't think there's an easy solution :(

Only thing I can think to do would be to buy a set of SZ1000's and scrap them for the headband.  Not exactly a cheap fix.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4289 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 11:19:32 »
Show Image

I'm not sure why you'd get titans for 250, since like 970s are way way faster..

Do you do gpu compute at all?

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #4290 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 11:37:16 »
Got my first pair of IEMs the other day, SE425s, and they sound excellent. Now I just gotta find some cables with a remote for when I'm on my bike :D

Show Image

My man, those things are the bomb.
Just wondering though, why wouldn't you just go ahead and pick up the se535?
IIRC it's not that much of a difference moneywise.

Offline xJudas

« Reply #4291 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 16:42:59 »

Show Image

I bought a bunch of studio equipment from my friend who works at a guitar center, they were $150 (at cost) and the last ones in stock. They didn't have the SE535s otherwise I would have considered them. Overall though I'm happy with my purchase, I can use the dough I saved for some custom sleeves or something.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4292 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 04:03:26 »
I'm not sure why you'd get titans for 250, since like 970s are way way faster..

Do you do gpu compute at all?
AT those prices, yes, I would rather get a pair of GTX970's. Buuut, you assume I'm in the US, I'm actually in Asia, nVidia products are overpriced here. Why not get them from eBay then? Well, I didn't want the hassle of shipping stuff back for RMA because the local distros of the various brands here ain't interested in helping with RMA (should the need arise), NOT that I can blame them. There was another thread with a guy selling his 2x GTX970's for about 80USD more, I suppose I could have gotten those......but I think there's something secksay about owning a pair of 6GB Titans. :p

Audio related, still waiting for my NuForce uDAC-3 to arrive, should be soon though. Also waiting for a set of Emotiva Control Freak Balanced to arrive as well.....soon'ish is the best way to describe the ETA. Meanwhile, I'm using a set of TC Electronic audio volume controller (given to me by the ESI nEAR06 monitors/speakers seller), it's a little wonky as the potentiometer is worn out or damaged, adjusting volume results in static noise and channel imbalance. So need the Emotiva CF Balanced soon.....goin' nuts using this $#@% audio controller now.

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #4293 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 08:00:12 »

Show Image

I bought a bunch of studio equipment from my friend who works at a guitar center, they were $150 (at cost) and the last ones in stock. They didn't have the SE535s otherwise I would have considered them. Overall though I'm happy with my purchase, I can use the dough I saved for some custom sleeves or something.

Have you considered getting some custom molded ear pieces made for these?
They are perfect when customized.

Offline xJudas

« Reply #4294 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 15:46:32 »

Show Image

Have you considered getting some custom molded ear pieces made for these?
They are perfect when customized.

I am very interested in getting some custom molds, any recommendations?

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4295 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 03:08:36 »
Ordered a NuForce uDAC-3 from MD a while back, it finally came today (along with my Emotiva Control Freak Balance which is a sorta volume controller).

I took a shot of it with a thumbdrive just to show how small the little DAC is....

And because this is a keyboard centric forum, I just had to include this!

Yes, I'm aware that it has Kailh switch instead of Cherry MX, but it looks good, feels great to type on (bought the Kailh Blue version)......well, always wanted an RGB keyboard to add to my collection anyways. ;D Oh yeah, I'd gotten the Armaggeddon Hornet RGB together with the mouse (RGB as well) in the first pic, with further discount to the already 15% discount on the Hornet.....there's a big PC related sale going on in my neck of the woods.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 March 2016, 03:13:13 by PadawanGeek »

Offline tstackhouse

• Bloghouse
« Reply #4296 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 13:57:54 »
I've had a really good experience with my Grago SR60i's They've lasted me a good long while and they still sound amazing, even using my onboard audio (2012 MBP).

Offline tullyvivi

« Reply #4297 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 12:51:44 »
I stopped messing around with headphones when I am outside, as long as it makes sounds, I am happy.
For indoor, I have the sony ones and trying out different usb amps.

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #4298 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 04:50:24 »
Decided this would be the right place to ask this.

Is anyone here partly familiar with modifying Beyerdynamic DT990 (Or any headphones for that matter) Into a headphone with a detachable/replaceable cable?

I've got the 3.5mm stereo housing and spare single core wires, just unsure about how to go about this. (Soldering iron, Heat gun, Dremel and Solder i have.)

My desk setup atm

Beyerdynamic DT990 Premiums, 600 Ohm, With a Fiio E17k Dac/Amp (Surprising that it drives the 600 ohm beasts well, dont see a need for the Fiio K5), and a Black Bluelounge Posto Aluminium Headphone Stand. (Cheap as, like 29 AUD)131139-0

Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #4299 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 06:43:18 »
Thought I'd jump in here and share what I have and my experiences.

I currently own:

Headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm versions (Probably gonna sell them soon)

ATH-M50X (mostly used for travel or when I'm not at my desk)

Shure SE-215 (use them for a bit of everything)

Koss Portapro (only use them when working out)

Hifiman HE-400s (currently what I use at my desk)

AMP/DAC

Schitt Asgard 2

Fiio E10K

I started out with the DT770 and they have served me well. But I want to talk about HE-400s I love them they go so well with the asgard 2 (using the E10K as a DAC). I tried 3 amps in the store where I bought both the amp and the 400s's. I tried a lower end amp which paled slightly compared to the asgard, and I also got to try the valhalla 2 which was too warm and bassy which only ended up drowning out mids and highs and making vocals fade. But the Asgard struck the right balance for me giving a warm crisp sound with a balanced sound signature that I love. The cool thing is that despite living in Norway I didn't only get to buy the asgard but try it, as far as I know it's the only place in Norway that is allowed to sell Schitt products due to having some connections! Now I really enjoy the SE-215's I find them to be the most versatile, I can use them while traveling, working out, in class, at home, anywhere. And considering their price they sound better than the 770's and on par with the M50's. I still am glad I own the M50's as it can be nice to change it up, so for travel and school I change between them and 215's. I don't really know what else to say other than I like openbacks and IEM's :)
TP4 fanboy