Author Topic: What is the appeal of delivery at-home meal-kits?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
What is the appeal of delivery at-home meal-kits?
« on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 21:54:11 »
I have some coupons and was doing some research to see if signing up for something like Hello Fresh is worth it.

From what I can tell doing my own research on pricing, and various articles I've read, the ingredients you receive costs roughly 2x the price (including shipping costs) vs if you just went to the grocery store and purchased them yourself. Additionally, you still have to prep and cook everything. So it really does not save you any time or convince either. Also not being able to pick the ingredients yourself/ i.e. not having eyes on your produce or meat, seems like a gamble on quality.

I am very much struggling to understand how exactly Hello Fresh is a $1Billion company. Who is it for? Not for people trying to save money, and not for people who are trying to save time. Who is the target market? I don't understand.

Offline Findecanor

Re: What is the appeal of delivery at-home meal-kits?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 22:33:02 »
Perhaps Hello Fresh has been coasting on there always being more people willing to try it out for a little while.
But that is a resource that is guaranteed to run out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 23:34:48 »
It's for upper middle class. $300K/year households.

Most of these meal kit companies go under, and they have 1-2% retention rate.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 March 2024, 23:52:48 »
I wonder what percentage of all subscription service customers are wealthy, forgetful, or super busy people who simply forgot they are paying for something every month?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 March 2024, 06:29:43 »
A few years ago when my mum was going to get major surgery, she ordered Hello Fresh for the recovery period when she was going to be too weak to lift grocery bags herself. She had been lured by the marketing: a blogger she listened to had been sponsored by them.

But the service is still just for ingredients for two meals a day, and nothing more. So I still had to help go shop for the essentials for her, ... and then help her dispose of the ridiculous amounts of packaging. Every ingredient in its own wrapper. Oversized boxes with lots of paper for padding. Plus bags of ice to keep perishable items cool during transport. Very wasteful.

And you still had to cook it yourself. So there wasn't that much time and work saved in the end anyway.
And you didn't get any leftover ingredients that you could cook something else out of.

This was in northern Europe, and there might be regional variations to how they operate though.
I suppose that the Hello Fresh concept had been designed for the 'murrican suburban wastelands where you're otherwise expected to drive your oversized truck an hour to the oversized supermarket each week and buy a week's supply of food because there are no grocery stores within the "residential zone". Then I can definitely see how it would fill a hole in people's lives.
But everyone does not live in such an hellish environment, thankfully.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2024, 06:48:33 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 March 2024, 07:57:42 »
What we really need are the return of Communist Kitchens.

All you can eat spicy noodles and dumplings.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 March 2024, 08:54:41 »
What we really need are the return of Communist Kitchens.
Now you're being ridiculous again. The opposite of bad urban planning is not soviet "communism".
It is about planning our urban areas for multiple aspects of people's lives, and sustainability in the long term, as opposed to realty developers and cars in the short term.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 March 2024, 18:42:20 »
I think it's more for people who don't know what to cook, hello fresh gives them some options and they don't have to think about it. I do understand why people would buy these services, I also struggle with meal planning quite a bit (especially after I became a vegetarian, I am getting better at it though) Also a lot of these companies have horrible track records when it comes to treating workers fairly. You probably shouldn't buy them for that reason alone.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 06:53:56 »
It is about planning our urban areas for multiple aspects of people's lives, and sustainability in the long term, as opposed to realty developers and cars in the short term.
That's exactly what the USSR was great at.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 09:33:21 »
I think it's more for people who don't know what to cook, hello fresh gives them some options and they don't have to think about it. I do understand why people would buy these services, I also struggle with meal planning quite a bit (especially after I became a vegetarian, I am getting better at it though) Also a lot of these companies have horrible track records when it comes to treating workers fairly. You probably shouldn't buy them for that reason alone.

Meal kits are another example of a premium/luxury service being offered to the rest of the population for a price that researchers have crunched the numbers on to maximize profit while also making it seem like a "Good deal". I often see these as wealth extractors because outside the first box and maybe the second box, the price per meal is often much higher than buying the groceries outright. I have used Hello Fresh and have kept the menu/recipe cards and have revisited them in the past for meal ideas.

The rich have used premium\luxury services to avoid having to learn or do the hard work (why learn plumbing when I can hire it out. Why take care of my lawn if a company will do it for me). I believe our general lack of ability to cook and understand nutrition is a net negative for the overall health of our nation.

The best thing my spouse and I did was to create a menu on Friday night to cover the next Saturday-Friday menu. It allows us to know exactly what we are going to the store to buy so we buy less impulse items and we know what is for dinner that night instead of looking at the fridge at 5 trying to think of what you can make with what you have.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline funkmon

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 21:26:20 »
Yes, I think we understand that, but the thing is, it doesn't go all the way.

Food delivery? I get it. That's like the lawn service. Hellofresh is like if someone dropped off a gassed up lawnmower for you to mow your own lawn with and you paid 10 dollars a month for it.

There might be a small number of people who are spending a ton of money on eating out, but by having this subscription service shoving food at them every day they choose to make the food instead.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 21:51:30 »
Meal kits are another example of a premium/luxury service being offered to the rest of the population for a price that researchers have crunched the numbers on to maximize profit while also making it seem like a "Good deal". I often see these as wealth extractors because outside the first box and maybe the second box, the price per meal is often much higher than buying the groceries outright. I have used Hello Fresh and have kept the menu/recipe cards and have revisited them in the past for meal ideas.

The rich have used premium\luxury services to avoid having to learn or do the hard work (why learn plumbing when I can hire it out. Why take care of my lawn if a company will do it for me). I believe our general lack of ability to cook and understand nutrition is a net negative for the overall health of our nation.

The best thing my spouse and I did was to create a menu on Friday night to cover the next Saturday-Friday menu. It allows us to know exactly what we are going to the store to buy so we buy less impulse items and we know what is for dinner that night instead of looking at the fridge at 5 trying to think of what you can make with what you have.

Yeah that's pretty true, especially that bit of the general lack of ability to cook and understand nutrition.

Of course it isn't black and white though, A lot of people just don't have the the time to cook meals, not just the cooking time, but also the prep and clean up time which adds a lot the time it takes to cook it. Plus your class dictates a lot on what you eat, and some people might be too poor to afford nutritious food, or might be in an area that barely has access to healthy foods.

But a big factor is that lack of education on food and nutrition, I'm only just discovering how to get my nutrients and come up with recipies now, didn't really get taught that, and I'm in Australia.
fjell | hhkb bt