Author Topic: Can someone explain to me the whole Geekhack  (Read 3812 times)

Offline tutu10

Can someone explain to me the whole Geekhack
« on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 03:54:54 »
However, the founder, ripster, has been banned from the other 2 sites it seems, and it's clear he's a divisive fellow. I personally haven't seen what he says that upsets people so. Maybe I've not been here long enough? He can look like he thinks he is the center of the universe, but I don't mind that, because it seems more like a running joke than a personal belief. 

But that's nothing compared to the real issue. While I like the emphasis on objectivity, and while ripster may claim it's the biggest keyboard forum around, it is not. It's not a forum, it's a subreddit. It may be the biggest keyboard community website, but a reddit and a fully fledged forum are 2 different things. If I want to see the newest keyboard news, some nice keyboard pictures, ask a question, or have some inconsequential chit-chat, a subreddit is great.
But if I want to organize a groupbuy, offer manufacturing services or have an ongoing discussion about a DIY build, a subreddit is woefully inadequate, because once your post disappears off of the front page, you'll likely stop getting any more comments, and your discussion will cease, and there's very little you can do to bump it to the front page again.

Offline iri

Re: Can someone explain to me the whole Geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 04:08:40 »
Why did you come here to ask about someone banned several years ago?

Why did you come here to ask about a completely different forum?

And most importantly, what substances are you on?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 04:26:07 »
That exact post was posted on Deskthority back in April. https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=21610

LOL. Second comment in that thread:
why not post it everywhere?
🍉

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 05:38:59 »
ripster is not the founder of GH.

Is that you, ripster?!?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 07:48:44 »
ripster is not the founder of GH.

Is that you, ripster?!?
What if......iMav = ripster :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 08:15:52 »
I think the real issue is

Offline Coreda

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 08:26:08 »
Just to add to the point on the ephemeral nature of Reddit, it additionally auto-locks topics older than six months. So long-term discussions around a single OP are literally not possible. Been like this for several years, unfortunately.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 08:47:11 »
TIL Ripster founded geekhack

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:14:31 »
However, the founder, ripster, has been banned from the other 2 sites it seems, and it's clear he's a divisive fellow. I personally haven't seen what he says that upsets people so. Maybe I've not been here long enough? He can look like he thinks he is the center of the universe, but I don't mind that, because it seems more like a running joke than a personal belief. 

But that's nothing compared to the real issue. While I like the emphasis on objectivity, and while ripster may claim it's the biggest keyboard forum around, it is not. It's not a forum, it's a subreddit. It may be the biggest keyboard community website, but a reddit and a fully fledged forum are 2 different things. If I want to see the newest keyboard news, some nice keyboard pictures, ask a question, or have some inconsequential chit-chat, a subreddit is great.
But if I want to organize a groupbuy, offer manufacturing services or have an ongoing discussion about a DIY build, a subreddit is woefully inadequate, because once your post disappears off of the front page, you'll likely stop getting any more comments, and your discussion will cease, and there's very little you can do to bump it to the front page again.

Geekhack is a forum focused on Mechanical Keyboards and geek stuff. The Website was founded by Imav in 2007, and soon became one of the most popular Mechanical Keyboard forums on the internet.

r/MechanicalKeyboards was founded by R#######.

does that answer your question?
Also please do not harass others here. We're here just to discuss mechancial keyboards and geeky stuff
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:48:55 by Sintpinty »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:36:22 »
The Website was founded by Imav in 1999

TIL

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:43:43 »

Geekhack is a forum focused on Mechanical Keyboards and geek stuff. The Website was founded by Imav in 1999, and soon became one of the most popular Mechanical Keyboard forums on the internet.

r/MechanicalKeyboards was founded by R#######.

does that answer your question?
Also please do not harass others here. We're here just to discuss mechancial keyboards and geeky stuff

geekhack was founded in 2007  ;)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:48:42 »
Oops

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:50:50 »
Oops

This ain't Quora. :p

I know for a fact - GH was founded in 1999, by ripster. Who then claimed iMav his successor.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:53:18 by funderburker »
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 15:31:17 »
Oops

This ain't Quora. :p

I know for a fact - GH was founded in 1999, by ripster. Who then claimed iMav his successor.

How did you figure out i was on here?

Was it my writing style? :O

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 16:35:17 »
My two cents: Geekhack = house on the block with fun parties;  r/mechanicalkeyboards = gazebo converted into an outdoor smoking area;  Deskthority = tech conference at a college campus.
Chris Schammert

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 17:15:44 »
The Website was founded by Imav in 1999
TIL
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47416.msg1011580#msg1011580

2013 - 6 = 1999. DO THE MATH!

Deskthority = tech conference at a college campus.
It isn't really at that level (even if I would want it to be ...  :-[ )
🍉

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 17:35:31 »

2013 - 6 = 1999

20 (1+3) - 6 = 1999

20(04) - 6 = 1999

2004 - 6 = 1999

1998(+1) = 1999 (dont forget the leap years!!)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 17:37:46 »
I suck at math.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 17:47:26 »
My two cents: Geekhack = house on the block with fun parties;  r/mechanicalkeyboards = gazebo converted into an outdoor smoking area;  Deskthority = tech conference at a college campus.

r/mechanicalkeyboards is ****ing lame, it's the college freshmen who didn't have any friends in highschool so they decided to throw a college party inviting all the losers for an awkward night of soda, board games, and music at a reasonable level. It's all kids without a clue and rich foreigners with no friends who wanna show off how much money they can spend.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 17:58:00 »

r/mechanicalkeyboards is ****ing lame, it's the college freshmen who didn't have any friends in highschool so they decided to throw a college party inviting all the losers for an awkward night of soda, board games, and music at a reasonable level. It's all kids without a clue and rich foreigners with no friends who wanna show off how much money they can spend.

I've been to both types of parties @ collAge.  You realize when you're older that parties are lame in general..

Really think about what a BAR is, or a Night Club,   They're basically a light-beer version of an Opium Den, but not nearly as good as opium.  There's no outcome for attending these places.

You might as well Stay Home, remain Sober,  Calibrate your TV, and Watch Movies.

Mod Edit: Fixed the text size for you

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 18:17:12 »
Geekhack is a forum focused on Mechanical Keyboards and geek stuff.

TIL Geekhack is focused on mechanical keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 18:22:52 »
By the way if anyone hasn't been to deskthority lately they've changed some things.

I guess I hadn't been there in a while.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 18:30:59 »
Dorks, the lot of you.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 18:34:14 »
DT feels more European in demeanor, with GH being it's American equivalent.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 06:18:01 »

2013 - 6 = 1999

20 (1+3) - 6 = 1999

20(04) - 6 = 1999

2004 - 6 = 1999

1998(+1) = 1999 (dont forget the leap years!!)

r/theydidthemath

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 11:01:50 »

In this example you are the old man at the end of the block alone at home calling in a noise complaint at 9pm on a Saturday while everyone else is having fun with likeminded people  :p

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 12:21:57 »

In this example you are the old man at the end of the block alone at home calling in a noise complaint at 9pm on a Saturday while everyone else is having fun with likeminded people  :p
So?

If the block has a rule against excessive noise at 9pm, then the block has a rule against excessive noise at 9pm.
🍉

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 14:22:30 »
This has to be a Ripster alt

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 14:27:26 »
This has to be a Ripster alt

Hrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmm........

Mod Edit: Fixed the text size for you

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 01:04:13 »

So?

If the block has a rule against excessive noise at 9pm, then the block has a rule against excessive noise at 9pm.

I said 9 specifically since generally everywhere I've seen its 10-11pm.