Author Topic: Favorite hot sauce  (Read 8870 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

Re: Favorite hot sauce
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 19:28:23 »
LoL my dinner tablelically correct statement is - Hot sauce is like credit.

I always put hot sauce on pizza even though I always regret it later in the bathroom.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 20:20:41 »
http://compare.ebay.com/like/111131257077?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

i have a bag now, tastes great (it is rare)

They weren't that great to me. But the cheesy garlic was pretty good.

Offline ping111

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 20:56:52 »
Can't go wrong with Sriracha sauce!  To me, it has a more immediate spice and better overall flavour than most tabasco or other hot sauces.
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 05:31:21 »
I like Encona

Otherwise I make my own, a mixture of hot peppers + olive oil + vinegar and when I make a large batch, tastes great when aged.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 05:33:28 by insilica »
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline nilpt

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 05:48:48 »
Limited edition lays chips...
I don't think we have this around my part of the globe  :D
I'll get some Sriracha next.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/111131257077?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

i have a bag now, tastes great (it is rare)
IBM 1391410 / Qume terminal keyboard (teensy 2++)

Offline iri

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 14:07:02 »
is there a tabasco sauce less sour than mc. ilhenny red?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 14:14:14 »
is there a tabasco sauce less sour than mc. ilhenny red?

Never tried that, but the Jalapeno Tabasco sauce is good.  I use it on pizza.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 14:17:58 »
Louisiana Hot Sauce :llama:

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 17:39:11 »
I'm a bit late to this party, but not for lack of enthusiasm, just didn't get around to posting here.

I don't like the sauces with vinegar as a top ingredient (I prefer to taste the chiles, not the vinegar), so that leaves out tabasco and most of the other "Louisiana" style sauces. Instead I go for some of the previously mentioned ones like:

Sriracha
El Yucateco
Pico Pica
Tapatio

And my personal current favorite, Mezzetta California Habanero Hot Sauce Twist and Shout. Tastes awesome on my morning omelette!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 13:35:09 »
I have a question for you all hot sauce/chilly lovers! Early this summer, at my grocery, they were selling some chilly plants. After like 2 weeks, they were starting to be in a bad shape so they put them for sale for 1$ and I could not resist buying one. But I managed to save the plant and in fact it grew very very well. But now I have around 40 chilly (I don't even know which kind, but they are like 2 inch long and they were green but now they are turning a bright red). They are hot chilly.

My problem is that I can't use many of them to cook since my girlfriend does not like it if it's too spicy, nor do my kids (well they are 2 and 4 years old so it's normal). But I don't want to waste them and I can't just eat them like that! So anyone has an idea of how to conserve them or an idea of a meal to use them in? I have used a few but I can't put more than 1 in a whole recipe of chilly con carne and even then, I need to put only 1/3 of the seeds else it's too strong for my family!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 13:43:53 »
Identifying what kind they are would be a good start whether it be pickling/canning them, smoking and dehydrating (chili powder), making sauces and so on.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 13:44:05 »
I have a question for you all hot sauce/chilly lovers! Early this summer, at my grocery, they were selling some chilly plants. After like 2 weeks, they were starting to be in a bad shape so they put them for sale for 1$ and I could not resist buying one. But I managed to save the plant and in fact it grew very very well. But now I have around 40 chilly (I don't even know which kind, but they are like 2 inch long and they were green but now they are turning a bright red). They are hot chilly.

My problem is that I can't use many of them to cook since my girlfriend does not like it if it's too spicy, nor do my kids (well they are 2 and 4 years old so it's normal). But I don't want to waste them and I can't just eat them like that! So anyone has an idea of how to conserve them or an idea of a meal to use them in? I have used a few but I can't put more than 1 in a whole recipe of chilly con carne and even then, I need to put only 1/3 of the seeds else it's too strong for my family!

You can pickle them, like a normal cucumber pickle, lots of recipes around for those.  If you're a drinking man, chili-infused vodka makes killer Bloody Mary's and Cajun-style (hot and dirty) martinis.

or you can chop them up (remove the seeds!) to make your own home-brew hot sauce.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 13:50:57 »

My grandpa used to dry his out and make chilli pepper powder.

Here are a couple other ideas

http://www.chilipeppermadness.com/preserve-chili-peppers-canning.html

http://www.happynews.com/living/cooking/dry-chili-peppers.htm

http://www.pickyourown.org/pepper_jelly.htm

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 13:52:45 »

You can pickle them, like a normal cucumber pickle, lots of recipes around for those.  If you're a drinking man, chili-infused vodka makes killer Bloody Mary's and Cajun-style (hot and dirty) martinis.

or you can chop them up (remove the seeds!) to make your own home-brew hot sauce.

Why should I remove the seeds to make a sauce? Won't the seeds make it stronger?

I have been thinking about drying them, but a sauce would be better as long as I can keep it for like a year. I'll try to find a recipe.

As for the kind of chilly they are, it will be hard. I suppose that they should be a relatively common kind since they were on sale at the grocery, but there was no other info other than they were hot chilly! But they taste good :)

I have been tempted to try to make some kind of super hot chicken wings, like basically I would let the wings marinate for 24h in a sauce with like 70%+ hot chilly and invite my friends to come suffer with me! Well I would make a hot batch and an extreme batch probably  :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 14:15:55 »
Me personally, I'd remove the seeds when preparing them, because I prefer flavor over sheer Scoville units of heat.   :p  Mix in some papaya, maybe some onions, and that would be a tasty hot sauce.

But you're right; leaving the seeds in will add to the hot factor, I see that seeds are left in when packaging hot pepper flakes for putting on pizza.  Just be careful, I've given myself some painful chemical burns handling raw chili peppers!   Now I use gloves to prepare hot peppers, so I don't accidentally rub my eyes after cooking some spicy dish.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 15:25:45 »
Hot sauce tastes overwhelmingly of vinegar to me. I'd rather just use spices (cayenne pepper, paprika, etc.).

Offline nilpt

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 09:48:25 »
A hot update: Dave's Gourmet Insanity Sauce and old school mustard powder: Colman's.
Insanity is a real killer, got to be very careful...
Thanks for the tips guys.
IBM 1391410 / Qume terminal keyboard (teensy 2++)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:07:26 »
I was a Tapatio man for many years, but lately I'm favoring Cholula.  I also like good old Tobasco, and of course cock sauce.

Show Image

I started on Cholula so I'll have to try Tapatio!
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:35:14 »
^ Reminds me of Mission Burrito.
I loved it & it compliments well with the hot sauce above.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 15:09:22 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 15:23:00 »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 15:33:12 »
gochujang for anything asian related + veggies, siracha for fried stuff..

Tabasco for anything else
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 13:23:41 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 13:41:18 »
http://theoatmeal.com/blog/one_more_hit

it's good, but not "that---good"... I've heard that it could become an addiction (habit-forming) though, because the pain release endorphins....