Author Topic: Why no doubleshots with clear first shots  (Read 3353 times)

Offline HoosTrax

Why no doubleshots with clear first shots
« on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:30:20 »
I guess your typical backlit key is just a clear key with black painted over the parts that aren't meant to be part of the legend. Why don't I see doubleshots meant for backlit use where the legend color is clear ABS?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Why no doubleshots with clear first shots
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:34:32 »
I've seen some doublshots like this where the clear part was for a window.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:39:41 »
Signature Plastics has a few novelty caps made this way. It's not like it can't be done, it's just not popular, I guess. Most people enjoy the looks of backlighting even without clear legends.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:41:24 »
There are actually a few of them in existence. I have a few myself, that someone gave me from an SP "crap bag." They were a test run by SP to see how they would look. The problem is that due to the grid pattern of the second shot running through the underside where the first shot has the legends, the legends aren't clearly lit, and the results can vary widely, due to the varying patterns of the second shot.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline UniClown

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:47:53 »
There are actually a few of them in existence. I have a few myself, that someone gave me from an SP "crap bag." They were a test run by SP to see how they would look. The problem is that due to the grid pattern of the second shot running through the underside where the first shot has the legends, the legends aren't clearly lit, and the results can vary widely, due to the varying patterns of the second shot.

Is this why the legends on SmallFry's set have the striped appearance?
here is a picture of what I think you're describing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:49:08 »

Show Image

Yes, that exactly. For the reverse, see the (January?, February?) polycarb GH pack.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoosTrax

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 14:55:25 »
Ah, I've seen that GH backspace and wondered why it looked a bit unusual. I guess that explains it. FWIW, I don't think the striped pattern looks bad per say. I wonder what effect it has on light shining through though.

Offline UniClown

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 16:10:45 »
Ah, I've seen that GH backspace and wondered why it looked a bit unusual. I guess that explains it. FWIW, I don't think the striped pattern looks bad per say. I wonder what effect it has on light shining through though.

I imagine wherever the darker stripe is, it will block light much more. I also don't like how the striping goes in different directions. Potentially the striping could block out the letter I completely. These are minor things, but I imagine they would bug me over time.

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:14:08 »

Show Image

Wow, those keys looks great! only bad thing about the is the round corners (DCS profile)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 19:38:12 »
I would like to see  manufacturer spend more time in perfecting this. It seems like a great solution. Even if it can't be done perfectly, and lines appear, I'd like to see it done consistently. I'd buy in a heartbeat.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 21:59:10 »
Clear first shots allow for very little contrast (depending on the second shot) and look bad without backlighting

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 04:56:34 »
I think most people who got doubleshots with clear 1st would get them specifically with backlighting in mind. I don't think the contrast is a big deal.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline ViewMaster

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 16:00:35 »
Fantastic idea. I'd be in on that GB!

Offline Grimfire

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 02:02:25 »
I would jump on a GB of that as well.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 11:28:22 »
I would jump on a GB of that as well.

Add me to that list  :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 15:45:10 »
There's also those super ugly poly caps that are clear and filled with uneven blotches and splatters of colored plastic. Man they are hideous.