Author Topic: Xer(ise Ereday ?  (Read 7987 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Xer(ise Ereday ?
« on: Sat, 24 June 2023, 13:22:19 »
Do you guys do it everyday ?

Is the water use (shower) and extra calories (food)  justifiable ?

Does it lead to better health than say, every other day?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Xer(ise Ereday ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 June 2023, 16:09:13 »
Regular routine 3x a week for 1hr or more (depending on how much I feel like doing, sometimes more, but never less than 1 hr)
I basically eat whatever I want calorie-wise, while watching the sodium and sugar content. I also have no car and have to walk everywhere, during hot Summers I generally go down 10-15lbs through sweat deviation from my normal weight between May and Aug.

ANY amount of regular exercise makes you feel better after a few weeks. Like I never did pushups, I hate them. My absolute least favorite, but the only real way to exercise your chest without equipment. So I decided to do just 3 sets of 20 a day, and after doing this EVERY DAY for less than 4 weeks I am already comfortably doing 3 sets of 30 a day easily. By August that should be 3x 50 easy.

For reference; Actors getting into "superhero" shape workout 5-6 days a week for 90 minutes. But they also do basically all protein diets, and water starvation on top of that.

If you exercise every day of the week you are certifiable and should speak with someone.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 June 2023, 01:48:44 »
I used to swim five times a week, but I got a shoulder injury three years ago that I'm still recovering from, and thus haven't been able to swim during that time. I don't really like doing other sports, so I did some home exercises to at least keep up some muscle, but the cardio suffered immensely. I can hugely tell the difference tbh, I really miss going to swim. They gave me some sort of injection recently, hopefully in two weeks or so I can (extremely slowly) start building up again. I was told to start at just 4 lanes, once a week though :( .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 June 2023, 03:18:57 »
I used to swim five times a week, but I got a shoulder injury three years ago that I'm still recovering from, and thus haven't been able to swim during that time. I don't really like doing other sports, so I did some home exercises to at least keep up some muscle, but the cardio suffered immensely. I can hugely tell the difference tbh, I really miss going to swim. They gave me some sort of injection recently, hopefully in two weeks or so I can (extremely slowly) start building up again. I was told to start at just 4 lanes, once a week though :( .

4 lanes, ooft, that must be killing you, being such a swimmer.
4 lanes a week is not even worth getting in the pool from my point of view.
Not being a swimmer or sports person, I used to do 120 lanes every time I was in a pool, I did not swim a lot, but when I was in a pool, I loved it. And I'm a fat bear :) So for you being a proper swimmer, hearing to do 4 lanes must be terrible. I hope you get back to your form soon, we are pretty much still young people, those injuries should not happen to us, but hey, that's life...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 26 June 2023, 14:40:32 »
the unit lane, is that 1 way 1 time or back and forth = 1 time

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 26 June 2023, 15:47:29 »

4 lanes, ooft, that must be killing you, being such a swimmer.
4 lanes a week is not even worth getting in the pool from my point of view.
Not being a swimmer or sports person, I used to do 120 lanes every time I was in a pool, I did not swim a lot, but when I was in a pool, I loved it. And I'm a fat bear :) So for you being a proper swimmer, hearing to do 4 lanes must be terrible. I hope you get back to your form soon, we are pretty much still young people, those injuries should not happen to us, but hey, that's life...

Yeah, I'm sure changing will take longer than the actual swimming (even though I'm not allowed freestyle yet, only breaststroke, which is boring) and yeah, it's a bit disheartening, but at the same time, it's been three years since I did ANY swimming, and if my shoulder doesn't immediately go bust again, it can only go upwards from there :) . Plus, it's not like I would be able to do anything near what I used to swim anyway, since I've become so much weaker.

120 lanes is really not bad though :) . That's more than I usually did!

That's one-way. Confusingly, even a "lap" is only one-way in swimming.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 26 June 2023, 16:06:29 »

What are chyros's thoughts on the toxicity of long term exposure to pool chemicals?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 June 2023, 16:25:32 »
absolutely important. definitely a big mood lift to exercise in a way that's fun for you. i've always liked biking and been playing a lot of tennis recently. I'll use the gym a bit in the days in between, but I don't enjoy it as much. Getting exercise is really fulfilling and improving at a sport is also really fun, so it's nice to be able to do both at the same time. Otherwise, the gym is the most efficient way to get some quick exercise in, but to me it's pretty boring.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 June 2023, 03:09:26 »

What are chyros's thoughts on the toxicity of long term exposure to pool chemicals?

Hypochlorite? Meh, not that bad. Maybe makes your skin look slightly differently over time or something. But if would be minimal, I think. Plus, if you look at the average swimmer, I don't think they have much to worry about xD .

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 08:43:12 »
Is Summer more efficient for working out, considering, one'd burn less energy on homeostasis, so you can eat equal or less than winter, while dedicating that energy to more swole-ness.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 09:04:23 »
Is Summer more efficient for working out, considering, one'd burn less energy on homeostasis, so you can eat equal or less than winter, while dedicating that energy to more swole-ness.

I think that it varies with people. I am often limited by overheating so I get more effective workouts in cooler weather.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 20:17:24 »

I remember hearing that in colder temperatures that you have more of an appetite because eating increase body temperatures, so you're eating will be more controlled in the summer. I binge eat a lot impulsivity (I'm lucky that I can maintain my weight quite easily) and in winter and when the air-con is on (which is quite a bit) I've noticed that I;m a lot more hungry during those times, which may lead to unhealthy habits.

It might be more efficient but when I try to run in the summer it's too hot and hard to do, like you get too hot and you feel miserable a lot of the time.When it's winter it feels a lot nicer because your warm but you don't feel miserable because the colder weather counteracts it.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 21:19:51 »
Just be poor and not have food or a car, and I promise you'll lose at least 15lbs walking around in the heat by Sept.

You'll hate yourself, I guarantee it!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 July 2023, 17:40:45 »
Tp4 has Slowed down to every-other Day, much less mentally straining. More time to eat / digest also.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 July 2023, 18:28:39 »
Tp4 has Slowed down to every-other Day, much less mentally straining. More time to eat / digest also.

it's good to take breaks but it's also good to slowly push your boundaries. let's say your baseline fitness is such that you're able to exercise every 3 days comfortably. if you start exercising every 2 days, you'll slowly start to get more and more tired since you're working beyond your normal threshold for physical activity, but you'll also get fitter. usually, it's good to do this for a period, dial it back for a few days, and then continue exercising at a frequency slightly beyond your threshold. i'm alluding to a concept called fitness and freshness. as you train hard, your freshness descreases, but your fitness increases. when training for something like a marathon, you'll build your fitness and maintain relatively low freshness, until close to your race date, where you rest up to replenish your freshness, and you'll have most of the fitness you earned from all the training.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 July 2023, 18:33:36 »
Like I always said, people who exercise every single day are certifiable. What are you running from? Why do you feel so inadequate?

Just exercising on weekends gives you basically the same results as every day:
https://scitechdaily.com/transform-your-health-in-two-days-weekend-workouts-may-be-as-effective-as-exercising-all-week/

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 August 2023, 19:06:47 »
I stopped exercising altogether, and have been gaining muscle and losing 4lbs a week at this new job. Got me thinking different.

I realized that it is mostly white collar office workers, and people with nothing to do, who go to the gym. It's rare you see a blue collar worker in there who just got off a 10hr shift who isn't a teenager. Exercise is a luxury supplement activity, and many people get that from work and home.

I wonder when the concept of the gym came along, and if there are any parallels between their rise in popularity and the decline of agrarian society in lieu of more sedentary lifestyles.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 06 August 2023, 21:12:33 »

I realized that it is mostly white collar office workers, and people with nothing to do, who go to the gym. It's rare you see a blue collar worker in there who just got off a 10hr shift who isn't a teenager. Exercise is a luxury supplement activity, and many people get that from work and home.

I wonder when the concept of the gym came along, and if there are any parallels between their rise in popularity and the decline of agrarian society in lieu of more sedentary lifestyles.

You may have been overdoing it with a  long day of physical work plus doing much the same thing at the gym. The only thing I would suggest is that it is likely that you may not be getting a balanced workout at work.  I worked years in construction and developed a lopsided body from carrying heavy loads on my right side. Not a problem if it is just the arm but when the true back muscles are imbalanced, different structural problems can result. It took about two years after retirement to have both shoulders rest at the same height again.
Rather than a full workout in the gym, doing specific PT style movements may keep the back, shoulders, and hips healthy.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 09:58:10 »
Earliest I can think of is Ancient Greece, over two thousand years ago. It was a place to train and study for young men. Definitely don't imagine farmers engaging in this.

Offline NumPadEnjoyer

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 19:42:10 »
I personally exercise in some capacity 4-5 sometimes six days a week. Personally not a fan of everyday I'm a big believer in having some rest days. Also I personally have noticed an uptick in my health cardiovascular system i.e blood pressure being a prime example

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 October 2023, 09:39:59 »
Check out the basketball rules that originally were published on January 15, 1892, in the Springfield College school newspaper, The Triangle.

1. The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.

2. The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands (never with the fist).

3. A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at a good speed if he tries to stop.

4. The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or body must not be used for holding it.

5. No shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping, or striking in any way the person of an opponent shall be allowed; the first infringement of this rule by any player shall count as a foul, the second shall disqualify him until the next goal is made, or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game, no substitute allowed.

6. A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violation of Rules 3,4, and such as described in Rule 5.

7. If either side makes three consecutive fouls, it shall count a goal for the opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the mean time making a foul).

8. A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there, providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edges, and the opponent moves the basket, it shall count as a goal.

9. When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field of play by the person first touching it. In case of a dispute, the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds; if he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on that side.

10. The umpire shall be judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify men according to Rule 5.

11. The referee shall be judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made, and keep account of the goals with any other duties that are usually performed by a referee.

12. The time shall be two 15-minute halves, with five minutes' rest between.

13. The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winner. In case of a draw, the game may, by agreement of the captains, be continued until another goal is made.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 October 2023, 13:35:13 »
Didn't even know there were that many rules to basketball.