Author Topic: Information Technology Troubles (Rant)  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Information Technology Troubles (Rant)
« on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 13:37:55 »
As i've commented on here before, my country is in a recession. There's a lack of jobs, people are being laid off and without my inheritance there's no way i'm going to be able to afford a home. There's been something that's been deeply on my mind and it's co op. I require it as part of my program, and i've been paying attention in class a lot harder so that way i can make the skills i need to succeed. However, i've been receiving a ton of job rejection emails and it's making me super unhappy to see. it's always "while your skills are impressive" we have decided to go with another candidate. I know how to program in four languages, but yet i never even get past the first interview - they flat out reject me without even sending an interview. And i think about what a co op councellor said and how most people applying haven't even had a job, just completed this college program or is in the process of completing - that's it and it feels so pathetic that they would choose that person over me. What do they see in them that they don't see in me? I've applied to over 100 positions, sometimes not even related in my field. And the only ones that i do get an interview are for "software engineers" and that's not what i signed up for for this program, but again i'm just willing to accept any position. Plus, there's too many software engineers because everybody and their mom learned how to code, so when everybody's super no one will be. So now, everyone from software engineering is applying to my IT positions that i really want because apparently, if you're a software engineer nowadays you're the entire it department.

I feel so frustrated. any advice/encouragement?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Information Technology Troubles (Rant)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 15:37:52 »
Maybe you can use an AI platform to automate applications.

If you think about how many monsters/bosses you have to run before getting rare-drops,  that's something like real life, except real-life it might often be a lengthier wait.

It's part of the reason why people escape into games in the first place. Real life is slow.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 16:05:59 »
In IT, but not a developer, but companies in US will reject qualified to overqualified candidates because of cost. If the job is say, QA level 1, the fact you can code in 4 languages means you will likely expect a higher salary and/or jump positions once a better role comes along. In America a lot of devs get their first role by presenting a.....portfolio of sorts. A github or custom application to showcase those skills. Businesses are all in the business of balancing labor costs with work completed. it's hard to justify a higher salary for a better equipped employee if the business can't leverage your skills. Either way, good luck in your hunt.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 23:13:41 »
Maybe you can use an AI platform to automate applications.

If you think about how many monsters/bosses you have to run before getting rare-drops,  that's something like real life, except real-life it might often be a lengthier wait.

It's part of the reason why people escape into games in the first place. Real life is slow.

Do you have any books on this that i can read because it seems it is a pretty high demand skill

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 07:59:45 »
As i've commented on here before, my country is in a recession. There's a lack of jobs, people are being laid off and without my inheritance there's no way i'm going to be able to afford a home. There's been something that's been deeply on my mind and it's co op. I require it as part of my program, and i've been paying attention in class a lot harder so that way i can make the skills i need to succeed. However, i've been receiving a ton of job rejection emails and it's making me super unhappy to see. it's always "while your skills are impressive" we have decided to go with another candidate. I know how to program in four languages, but yet i never even get past the first interview - they flat out reject me without even sending an interview. And i think about what a co op councellor said and how most people applying haven't even had a job, just completed this college program or is in the process of completing - that's it and it feels so pathetic that they would choose that person over me. What do they see in them that they don't see in me? I've applied to over 100 positions, sometimes not even related in my field. And the only ones that i do get an interview are for "software engineers" and that's not what i signed up for for this program, but again i'm just willing to accept any position. Plus, there's too many software engineers because everybody and their mom learned how to code, so when everybody's super no one will be. So now, everyone from software engineering is applying to my IT positions that i really want because apparently, if you're a software engineer nowadays you're the entire it department.

I feel so frustrated. any advice/encouragement?

this is good to see as a hs senior who is going into computer science because im not good at anything and just want to be able to live comfortably  :(
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 10:48:40 »
Mohawk. If you want to live comfortably my biggest suggestion would be to research areas with lower cost of living and try to settle there. I live in what used to be a low cost of living place, but home are around 225-250k for a nice, modest home (3-4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage, 1800-2200 sqft), but we get 6 months of winter to deal with. Remote work is not going anywhere so finding an affordable location to settle is the biggest step in "living comfortably". There are just some areas of the country that are just impossible to pull yourself up to be comfortable when an 800sqft box starts over a million. The Midwest has it's pros and cons.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 21:12:00 »
Mohawk. If you want to live comfortably my biggest suggestion would be to research areas with lower cost of living and try to settle there. I live in what used to be a low cost of living place, but home are around 225-250k for a nice, modest home (3-4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage, 1800-2200 sqft), but we get 6 months of winter to deal with. Remote work is not going anywhere so finding an affordable location to settle is the biggest step in "living comfortably". There are just some areas of the country that are just impossible to pull yourself up to be comfortable when an 800sqft box starts over a million. The Midwest has it's pros and cons.

What? In my country, 225K is just enough to buy a toilet :eek:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 November 2023, 08:54:11 »

Yeah the average home price in my city is 770,000 DOLLARS and im not kidding you. doesn't help that i really feel like a fish out of water since all the jobs here are steel steel steel like i've said before

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 November 2023, 08:37:46 »

When you poop, think about how much wealth is under your feet!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 December 2023, 17:42:03 »
Did not find a co op in time so what certifs can i get what do you recommend