Author Topic: Old fones  (Read 2427 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Old fones
« on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 21:14:10 »
Tried updatn'n  old note 3 fone to andod 5.0

Apparently Atnt no allows unless you're still on Atnt.

So now I gotta go on internet, download allegedly legit but prolly hacked firmware from this dude WalterWhite from XDA forums.    Is he legit, who knows, but he's like the only guy puttin' out the atnt roms.

GDI atnt, still screwn' with people years later.

NE other options guys ?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: Old fones
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 23:04:53 »
If I had a Note 3, I'd probably be updating to Android 10 with LineageOS 17.1, after a full wipe.

LineageOS is the closest you'll get to AOSP.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 23:31:20 »
If I had a Note 3, I'd probably be updating to Android 10 with LineageOS 17.1, after a full wipe.

Are these more secure and less bot-net prone vs the official builds ?

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 00:28:26 »

Are these more secure and less bot-net prone vs the official builds ?

In terms of security, it's open source, and generally for older phones that have stopped receiving oem updates, LineageOS is a popular way to keep up with security related updates.

In terms of bot-net stuff, it's pretty standard, as you're still using the typical Google suite (GApps). You can really escape that without ditching Google stuff entirely, but there are mitigation paths such as microG (microG free-as-in-freedom re-implementation of GApps)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 00:30:33 »
While there is a A LOOOOOT of primadonnas most people building roms are legit, it takes quite a bit of time and effort, not to mention risk on their part. I hard bricked a Galaxy and a nice LG in my time doing it and I know others did similar.

If something is off XDA users will find it and get to the bottom of it, to the point of being hostile and quick to do so even if it just turns out to be cultural or language issues. You better know what you're doing and you darn well better play by their rules to the letter but from a user perspective, it's a good place to get roms.

As for botnet risk, I would argue less, but with a caveat.
They are in fact more open to being botted in the sense they aren't locked down, but most good botnets would get around that anyhow. So it's a wash at best. Why bother infecting rooted phones that make up a tiny porting of all cell phones?

Then there is the fact that most people really into rooting and rom'ing pay more attention to what goes on with their phone, they also tend to make backups more often, which is easier and the root manager will often catch anything being sneaky. And if a phone does get compromised, it's a relatively easy fix since you have total control whereas something getting past root and embedding on your locked phone leaves you unable to remove it (at least without a hell of a lot of work).
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2020, 00:37:21 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 19:37:06 »
I have an iPhone 5s that connects on wifi . i only use it for reddit and moonlight. Thats it