Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 614388 times)

Offline iri

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #700 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 17:08:01 »
Many arch users here. Anyone tried to replace systemd with OpenRC or something?

I want a distributive which is 1) not Gentoo 2) can be run without systemd 3) allows fine tuning. My ultimate goal is working all day on a single charge.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #701 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 17:55:35 »
I kind of collect OSes, like a fish tank but with VMs instead of fish.  It's kind of a hobby.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #702 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 23:22:20 »

I want a distributive which is 1) not Gentoo 2) can be run without systemd 3) allows fine tuning. My ultimate goal is working all day on a single charge.

Check out the two stickies with Manjaro OpenRC spins.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #703 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 00:14:32 »

void linux!!! it feels like the olden days of arch (in a good way), it's fast, it uses runit and it has a ports collection.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline iri

« Reply #704 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 09:47:42 »

Check out the two stickies with Manjaro OpenRC spins.
yeah, thanks, i know about manjaro.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #705 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 09:23:23 »
I installed Ubuntu today, and everything works perfectly! I know, it's a small victory, but hey, I'm excited. I'm enjoying Linux already. :)

This is really the point of Ubuntu. It just works, pretty much every time. People can disparage it all they want for being a corporate distro, but IMO Canonical has done more to spread Linux to the desktop than anyone else.

I tend to agree with you.  Ubuntu has always been the Linux Easy Button and because of that more people have started trying a Linux install on their desktops.  It almost always just works.  I used to like it a lot more back when it was a lot lighter, but it is still alright...

Offline iri

« Reply #706 on: Fri, 19 June 2015, 16:05:46 »
I am now writing this from Manjaro on my macbook.

Concerning the battery life, here is the blog post whose author claims to reach almost 9.5 hours of battery life (he is using Arch).

-Ray Bradbury

Offline cakewizard

• "**** me, that cow's got udders!"
« Reply #707 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 05:37:46 »
Debian + i3wm on my desktop, Arch + i3wm on a laptop, OS X/Debian on a MacBook.

<3 Tiling window managers.
Cherry G80-3000, Apple Standard Keyboard

OS X, Debian + i3wm. GNU/Linux, pronounced "whatevs".

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #708 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 06:18:54 »
Thanks guys - I didn't know about void linux before and I love it!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #709 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 07:06:53 »
An actual new distro?  It's been a while since I've heard of one of them, will have to give Void a go!

On a sidenote I've tried Fedora, Suse and a couple of Ubuntu derivatives in the past year and none of them successfully boot my Windows installation without editing grub files.  Perhaps I did something weird but it doesn't seem newbie friendly and reminds me of the distant past when I installed Mandrake Linux (renamed to Mandriva in 2005, this was years before that) on the family computer, hosed the bootloader, and landed up reformatting to get Windows back and lost everything :-[
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #710 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 13:24:02 »
On a sidenote I've tried Fedora, Suse and a couple of Ubuntu derivatives in the past year and none of them successfully boot my Windows installation without editing grub files.  Perhaps I did something weird but it doesn't seem newbie friendly and reminds me of the distant past when I installed Mandrake Linux (renamed to Mandriva in 2005, this was years before that) on the family computer, hosed the bootloader, and landed up reformatting to get Windows back and lost everything :-[

This is my usual process:

1. Shut down the PC
2. Unplug the drive containing the Windows installation, use a second motherboard port to plug in the drive you're going to put linux on.
3. Install linux to the new drive, install grub (or other bootloader) when prompted during installation.
4. After your linux is up and running, shut down the PC.
5. Plug the hard drive containing the Windows installation back in.
6. Boot into linux (grub will not detect your Windows install yet).
7. Open a terminal, run sudo update-grub.
8. You should now be able to boot the Windows installation.

That has always worked for me for getting grub to pick up the previous installation. If the grub menu is not showing at boot for some reason, I believe editing configuration files will be necessary.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #711 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 14:55:42 »
Thanks guys - I didn't know about void linux before and I love it!

An actual new distro?  It's been a while since I've heard of one of them, will have to give Void a go!

yessss do it!! the installer is fudged up so you have to be a little deft but once it's on your disk it is the best thing since cup rubber
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #712 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:10:24 »
I read that as daft instead of deft and got seriously confused. I must be daft.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #713 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 17:24:42 »

This is my usual process:

1. Shut down the PC
2. Unplug the drive containing the Windows installation, use a second motherboard port to plug in the drive you're going to put linux on.
3. Install linux to the new drive, install grub (or other bootloader) when prompted during installation.
4. After your linux is up and running, shut down the PC.
5. Plug the hard drive containing the Windows installation back in.
6. Boot into linux (grub will not detect your Windows install yet).
7. Open a terminal, run sudo update-grub.
8. You should now be able to boot the Windows installation.

That has always worked for me for getting grub to pick up the previous installation. If the grub menu is not showing at boot for some reason, I believe editing configuration files will be necessary.

Thanks, sounds like we have the same method - multiple drives are handy.  Grub always makes an entry for Windows but it just sits there rather with a black screen rather than booting it.  It's been a while so I just  tried to find what I had to bodge but everything's changed (running Fedora atm) so seems it now autodetects correctly, or it's copied my bodge when it upgraded...

Void is downloading as I type so I will find out shortly :)

Edit:  The Void installer uses NCurses?!  Haven't seen that since Slackware :))

It wants an EFI partition though, and the iso I download doesn't come with fdisk, cfdisk or parted so I couldn't make one.  Is there anything else I should know about the installer?
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2015, 18:23:26 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #714 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 01:49:56 »
i dont know about parted but the iso i had came with cfdisk. you might need to be root to run it. i am   running bios instead of uefi because lazy so i haven't had to deal with that crap in a while

you should however be able to download and install anything on the live CD using xbps-install <pkgname> as root. 

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 19:51:12 »
I went with the Enlightenment iso, it has firefox and a terminal thing but that's about it :))

Void is installed but didn't overwrite grub like I asked it to.  Running grub2-update on my old Fedora install finds Void, but it doesn't actually add it to the list.  Trying to load Void manually from the grub console when booting also doesn't work as I can't make it find the root fs (it thinks sda-f are removable so seems to be picking USB card reader first, but later letters also don't work)

Next on the list to try is chrooting into Void and installing grub there, then if still no joy it's "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda" time (if you don't know what this does don't be tempted to run it!)  I've not tried a proper distro since all this UEFI stuff came into being so not sure what I'm running and that's worrying, so the last option might actually be the best.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
« Reply #716 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:13:09 »
I use Mint Linux on my notebook PCs, Raspian on RPi (though I might try Fedora Remix on RPi2), and CentOS/RHEL or Amazon Linux for professional stuff.  I used to like to try different distributions, but now I just want something that works for my purposes.
Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Vizir

« Reply #717 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 15:06:54 »
I use Mint Linux on my notebook PCs, Raspian on RPi (though I might try Fedora Remix on RPi2), and CentOS/RHEL or Amazon Linux for professional stuff.  I used to like to try different distributions, but now I just want something that works for my purposes.
Pretty much what I do with my machines at with and home.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #718 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 17:27:23 »
Void has finally installed in a bootable state and I'm pleased to report it is the first distro to add a working entry for Windows install.

The only problem is that the installation from the Enlightenment ISO is so bare I'm lost - the terminal doesn't even have double-tab autocomplete enabled, and my arrow keys are sending character codes so I have to type everything manually and perfectly :))

Not sure whether this is a good thing as I'll have to relearn Linux and type better, or if it's just going to annoy me.

Edit: updated and the flashy double tab now works, as do arrows.  Guess the installer is newer than the image it installs...

So far - no audacity.  This is not acceptable but if it's the only problem I encounter I'll try and get it added to the repository.

Edit 2: Failed to restart after updates, even using the old kernel.  Some breakage is to be expected but this is too much I think.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2015, 18:22:19 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #719 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 18:19:20 »
I use Arch on my desktop and laptop and Debian on my server.

I've never heard of Void but I think I need to check it out now.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #720 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 01:20:40 »
Void has finally installed in a bootable state and I'm pleased to report it is the first distro to add a working entry for Windows install.

The only problem is that the installation from the Enlightenment ISO is so bare I'm lost - the terminal doesn't even have double-tab autocomplete enabled, and my arrow keys are sending character codes so I have to type everything manually and perfectly :))

Not sure whether this is a good thing as I'll have to relearn Linux and type better, or if it's just going to annoy me.

Edit: updated and the flashy double tab now works, as do arrows.  Guess the installer is newer than the image it installs...

So far - no audacity.  This is not acceptable but if it's the only problem I encounter I'll try and get it added to the repository.

Edit 2: Failed to restart after updates, even using the old kernel.  Some breakage is to be expected but this is too much I think.

installer does not enable bash completion by default, esp. not for root and root runs dash, not bash by default.

also i have audacity, i might have built it from the packages but it works fine, wish i could be more helpful. hopefully it will work out for you, if not... well, there are lots of distros   :cool:
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 July 2015, 01:40:37 by sth »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #721 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:45:54 »
So finally got back to this, there's a new Void iso so I installed from that and guess what?  It's renamed all my hard drives and put the USB card reader first.  I guess that's why it didn't reboot last time, though fstab is using UUID so it shouldn't have mattered.

Just as a warning to anyone thinking of installing watch out if you're adding partitions without reformatting them - despite saying no to format it marked them all as "NEW FILESYSTEM" when I chose the install option.  Going back to the mount point bit and re-doing the partition I did want formatted corrected the issue.  So close to losing all my stuff! :eek:

Edit: Audacity is now available and installing!  I'm thinking the Enlightenment iso must have been really old...
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:08:37 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #722 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 07:07:18 »
I started with Red Hat, back in the mid-90's. Even though I like to explore, I've always had Mint on a machine, since ver. 7. I'm currently running Mint 17.2 / Cinnamon on my Lenovo T420.

I've been tinkering with FreeBSD lately and it's starting to grow on me.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #723 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 05:44:41 »
Anyone using a 4K monitor? What distro or desktop environment does high DPI scaling?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #724 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 06:47:07 »

Edit: Audacity is now available and installing!  I'm thinking the Enlightenment iso must have been really old...

cool thanks for the info - ive been running a build from void-packages. what version is in xbps repos?

Offline iri

« Reply #725 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 06:57:39 »
Anyone using a 4K monitor? What distro or desktop environment does high DPI scaling?
Let me look that up for you.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #726 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 07:52:08 »
I mean it says it works but it could be total ass. 

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #727 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 07:55:35 »
what is being a linux user if not one of the two:

you buy expensive new stuff and figure out how to get it working

you buy old stuff and stay conservative (me)

Offline iri

« Reply #728 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 07:55:37 »
It's total ****.

To answer your other question -- I use Apple's 4K monitor.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #729 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:03:44 »
Apple's 4K monitor.

You mean you got the 5K iMac?

Offline iri

« Reply #730 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:19:21 »
I use the macbook pro.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #731 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 09:31:27 »
I use xbuntu 14.10

Then again I've used Mint, Vector, Crunchbang, Peppermint, puppy...

I'm on a single core atom as my linux deice so always on the hunt for something that balances usability with leanness. Just trying to keep ye olden CR48 running. It's been a fairly good box.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #732 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:59:20 »
Ha the proto-Chrome Book. Nobody kept Chrome OS, they just wanted a free computer to run X distro.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #733 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 12:50:08 »
I use xbuntu 14.10

I'm on a single core atom as my linux deice so always on the hunt for something that balances usability with leanness. Just trying to keep ye olden CR48 running. It's been a fairly good box.

most egregiously large ctrl alt to grace a laptop

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #734 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:24:31 »
It was less 'do away with chrome OS' because i ran with Chrome OS until the commercial products shipped. It was more 'I needed someting because this was the only working computer.'

I've kept it since because decent backup.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #735 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 14:35:33 »
Ha the proto-Chrome Book. Nobody kept Chrome OS, they just wanted a free computer to run X distro.

I kept Chrome OS on mine. :(

Until the hinge broke, and the battery wouldn't charge anymore. :'(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vizir

« Reply #736 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 20:50:00 »
Linux Mint Cinnamon does work, it might not always auto-detect, but you can enable/disable scaling in the preferences pane.

Offline iri

« Reply #737 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 06:51:05 »
It's Cinnamon, not necessarily in Mint. Supports HiDPI out of the box.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #738 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 18:23:32 »
I use xbuntu 14.10

Thanks for reminding me about Crunchbang. It's so sad that project was finally abandoned; that was a great distro and it is still influencing other distros to this day. If not for #!, I probably would have never learned how to write a Conky script, so I'm thankful for that. Speaking of influence, I've just got to get around to checking out ArchBang. One of these days ...

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #739 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:18:31 »
I use xbuntu 14.10

Thanks for reminding me about Crunchbang. It's so sad that project was finally abandoned; that was a great distro and it is still influencing other distros to this day. If not for #!, I probably would have never learned how to write a Conky script, so I'm thankful for that. Speaking of influence, I've just got to get around to checking out ArchBang. One of these days ...

BunsenLabs has a pretty solid alpha build of Hydrogen out, I need to download and play around with it at some point, but so far I really like the look of what that team has done: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39994&p=1
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline godly_music

« Reply #740 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 01:22:22 »
Related question. I'm looking to grab a Thinkpad X200. I know it's old, but it's on eBay for 100€ whereas an X201 would be 150ish. Am I crazy for thinking a P8600 2,4 GHz dual-core is enough for most Linux tasks?

Anyway. As far as operating systems to go with it, I'd like some input from people who use that laptop. Was thinking either Manjaro as a replacement for Arch (I don't wanna deal with a manual install. RIP install scripts.), Crunchbang++ representing Debian or possibly Void. Can anyone tell me if all your important hardware worked properly on those distros? Mute-button I can do without or fix it by hand. Low power draw is very important. I'll probably undervolt it as well.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #741 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 10:11:35 »
Related question. I'm looking to grab a Thinkpad X200. I know it's old, but it's on eBay for 100€ whereas an X201 would be 150ish. Am I crazy for thinking a P8600 2,4 GHz dual-core is enough for most Linux tasks?

Anyway. As far as operating systems to go with it, I'd like some input from people who use that laptop. Was thinking either Manjaro as a replacement for Arch (I don't wanna deal with a manual install. RIP install scripts.), Crunchbang++ representing Debian or possibly Void. Can anyone tell me if all your important hardware worked properly on those distros? Mute-button I can do without or fix it by hand. Low power draw is very important. I'll probably undervolt it as well.

The machine I'm using right now is running Crunchbang on a six year old machine with a 1.6 GHz single core and 2GB of RAM. I find it to be quite capable as long as I keep those limits in mind. I've never used an x200 myself, but Crunchbang in my experience has been very kind to machines without much in the way of system resources.

The only hardware function my machine had issues with was the button to disable the trackpad. WiFi, audio, video, SD card reader, laptop brightness control, etc. all worked out of the box, so to speak.

Now, #!++ is not crunchbang, so I can't say for certain how it handles similar challenges. But I know it was designed to meet similar criteria, so I would say it has a reasonable chance of working similarly.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #742 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 18:20:04 »
Traditionally, IBM and Lenovo has had good support for Linux.
I can't speak specifically for the X200, but I can for the individual parts in it. In terms of speed, my Sony has a P8500 and runs Linux just fine (good processor actually). Where you may have issues is with the wireless card, it's probably going to need the Iwlwifi driver, which frankly, I think isn't all that great, it works, but shutting down can be slow, it's better than it used to be though. Other than that, you should have no problems. Worst case, buy a different wireless card for $10. If you have an old SSD, throw that in, newer ones will not be any faster due to the Sata2 speed. With that, the system will perform similar to a modern mid-level notebook, or at least feel like it.

I initially wrote a post about encouraging you to reconsider the x201 for future proofing reasons but after researching it, there's almost no difference between the two. Both have an 8gig limit, ddr3, sata2, same screen resolution, Win10 support... Even battery life and processing power is similar. The only real benefit over the x200 is that the x201 adds a touchpad, 300meg wifi (vs 150), and more readily accepts 8gigs of memory (the x200 requires specific memory and/or bios tweaks to do so).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #743 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 19:12:47 »
I really don't think a p8600 makes a good lappy these days..

In the USA,  we have  boat loads of used T420, for  $185 USD..  this is almost always on sale at this price..

T420 has 2520m.. which is more than twice as fast as the p8600

But it's larger than the x201..

I still roll an x220 myself, also a 2520m..  but it was one of the first to get IPS screen albeit low res.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #744 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 00:31:36 »
I'm kinda sold on the ultrabook form factor so it'd be either the X200, the 201 or the 220 I suppose. But performance isn't free and the question is - do I really need it? Running Linux of all things? That means work, word processing, internet, youtube, social, vintage and indie games.

You're right, the P8XXX line is pretty damn good. They stay cool and don't draw much power. Of course the various i5's give you a performance bump, but I'd have to pay 150-180 for one of these other two laptops.

Offline merfed

« Reply #745 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 14:25:09 »
I recently switched over to arch for my T430 and I'm liking it a bit more once I ditched the DE. It's mainly just for small projects an school related stuff. For actual classes I still have to use W7, and that's still what I'm using at home for daily use, but I am enjoying what arch has to offer.
Pok3r (Clears) // Noppoo Choc Mini (Black) (Blacks) // Noppoo Choc Mini (White) (Blues) // Poker X (Browns) // KBT Pure (Reds)

Offline iri

« Reply #746 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:45:08 »
you ditched the DE for what?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #747 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 18:50:28 »
My guess would be for nothing -- DEs are optional.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #748 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 01:29:57 »
I really don't think a p8600 makes a good lappy these days..

High end C2D's were extremely fast, faster than most people realize, a P8600 keeps up with mid level second gen Core I5's and is barely slower than a 3rd gen.

Hardware simply has not marched on like you think it has since the Core2 era. The primary focus has really been on power consumption, performance improvements have come from SATA3, more memory, and SSD's. Not so much from the processors really.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline merfed

« Reply #749 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 02:16:44 »
My guess would be for nothing -- DEs are optional.

Yep. I use Openbox for window management.
Pok3r (Clears) // Noppoo Choc Mini (Black) (Blacks) // Noppoo Choc Mini (White) (Blues) // Poker X (Browns) // KBT Pure (Reds)