Author Topic: 150wpm+  (Read 28456 times)

Offline SUPER432

150wpm+
« on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 00:06:52 »
Not sure if this is the right subforum, but...

So, I type about 110-120wpm on average and noticed some extreme 10fastfinger scores on here.

Anyone who types 150wpm+ regularly? If so I'd be curious if you made some conscious effort to increase speed at some point, and if so, how did you go about it? My accuracy above 130wpm goes to hell.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: 150wpm+
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 00:17:51 »
I'm pretty sure there's some cheats.
I can only manage 80wpm sustained

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 00:36:34 »
I'm sure, but there's definitely people who can type 200wpm legitimately.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 04:34:25 »
Some people are just faster, that's it. They're born like that. Of course, training and practice help, but only to certain extent.

When I was in high school, I was occasionally asked to go to a running competition... and I was always in the top 20 (out of 50–100), although I didn't have a coach or a training plan... I didn't even go running regularly.

On the other hand, I've never been able to get past 80 wpm (or 60 apm in SC:BW); I guess got past 50 wpm only thanks to switch to Colemak and symmetrical keyboards.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 05:04:03 »
Some people are just faster, that's it. They're born like that. Of course, training and practice help, but only to certain extent.

When I was in high school, I was occasionally asked to go to a running competition... and I was always in the top 20 (out of 50–100), although I didn't have a coach or a training plan... I didn't even go running regularly.

On the other hand, I've never been able to get past 80 wpm (or 60 apm in SC:BW); I guess got past 50 wpm only thanks to switch to Colemak and symmetrical keyboards.

I can pretty regularly knock out somewhere between 120-130WPM on the 10fastfingers test thing, even on my laptop.
It really boils down to luck of the draw in the words that are picked, and also if you mess up or not. For me, I get so thrown off when i make a mistake that it can really botch the whole attempt.

I have 200-225 APM in sc2 normally.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown with Ducky thick PBT white/grey

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 14:00:15 »

So, I type about 110-120wpm on average and noticed some extreme 10fastfinger scores on here.

Anyone who types 150wpm+ regularly? If so I'd be curious if you made some conscious effort to increase speed at some point, and if so, how did you go about it? My accuracy above 130wpm goes to hell.

It requires a lot of practice. I started my switch to Dvorak last November, with a forced month break due to not having a computer. I would say that on average I practiced for about an hour a day a day since then, practicing up to three hours sometimes when I learned. I started at about 90 wpm on Qwerty, and within three months, I reached 100 wpm on Dvorak.
Constant practice is required. I need to find my flow when I get to the higher 140's, which is mostly pressing the next key before I release the first one, like a wave.

I'm certain that given a few months more, I'll be typing 150+. But again, I'll be practicing a lot. I've been doing it in conjunction with fencing, which together really hurts my wrists and fingers, not helped by me using a floating wrist rather than resting. Just need to get good at visualizing and making the words in your mind before you finish typing them.

I can pretty regularly knock out somewhere between 120-130WPM on the 10fastfingers test thing, even on my laptop.
It really boils down to luck of the draw in the words that are picked, and also if you mess up or not. For me, I get so thrown off when i make a mistake that it can really botch the whole attempt.

That's an issue which many people face. I've been getting rid of it somewhat, but you can't have it impact you. Just fix it or skip, you will make errors. My accuracy isn't particularly good, generally I get between 6-10 incorrect words out of 139+ correct. At 120-130, it was about getting faster. Now, I can type incredibly fast (finishing the first line usually in 3-4 seconds), but every error is a detraction because it interrupts the flow. So getting more perfect is important. I've typed at speeds of over 150,  just today 160, but the errors prevented it from being better.

Also, I don't agree with davkol at all. People from all walks of life, all levels of intelligence, and all backgrounds can type extremely quickly. It's completely in the mind and only somewhat in the fingers. Once you keep on training your mind to recognize a word and bind your fingers to it, typing is easy.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 21:34:54 »

It requires a lot of practice. I started my switch to Dvorak last November, with a forced month break due to not having a computer. I would say that on average I practiced for about an hour a day a day since then, practicing up to three hours sometimes when I learned. I started at about 90 wpm on Qwerty, and within three months, I reached 100 wpm on Dvorak.
Constant practice is required. I need to find my flow when I get to the higher 140's, which is mostly pressing the next key before I release the first one, like a wave.

I'm certain that given a few months more, I'll be typing 150+. But again, I'll be practicing a lot. I've been doing it in conjunction with fencing, which together really hurts my wrists and fingers, not helped by me using a floating wrist rather than resting. Just need to get good at visualizing and making the words in your mind before you finish typing them.

That's an issue which many people face. I've been getting rid of it somewhat, but you can't have it impact you. Just fix it or skip, you will make errors. My accuracy isn't particularly good, generally I get between 6-10 incorrect words out of 139+ correct. At 120-130, it was about getting faster. Now, I can type incredibly fast (finishing the first line usually in 3-4 seconds), but every error is a detraction because it interrupts the flow. So getting more perfect is important. I've typed at speeds of over 150,  just today 160, but the errors prevented it from being better.

Also, I don't agree with davkol at all. People from all walks of life, all levels of intelligence, and all backgrounds can type extremely quickly. It's completely in the mind and only somewhat in the fingers. Once you keep on training your mind to recognize a word and bind your fingers to it, typing is easy.

Cool to see firsthand someone that you found Dvorak flat out faster once you got proficient at it. I'll probably never switch, unfortunately.

I did spend a few weeks trying to up my speed. Maybe banged out 160 a few times after getting heavily caffeinated, but it's absolutely not a speed I can sustain for anything longer than a few sentences.

Just curious - what does your practice regimen consist of? Are there any specific exercises or just doing the normal sequences of words/sentences/paragraphs?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 23:03:54 »
Cool to see firsthand someone that you found Dvorak flat out faster once you got proficient at it. I'll probably never switch, unfortunately.

I did spend a few weeks trying to up my speed. Maybe banged out 160 a few times after getting heavily caffeinated, but it's absolutely not a speed I can sustain for anything longer than a few sentences.

Just curious - what does your practice regimen consist of? Are there any specific exercises or just doing the normal sequences of words/sentences/paragraphs?

I don't have too much specific, it mostly consists of kind of a random alternation between pure speed of putting out words, which I can reach over 180 for very short periods of time (like maybe a few words in sequence), which would bu 10FF, and then complex sentences, which I use keyhero for as it gives you a lot of information about accuracy, what kinds of error, speed over time, etc.
Then I do endurance every once in a while, using Stamina 3.0 for five minutes at a time. I don't need as great accuracy as I do on keyhero, as it doesn't make you correct errors or penalize you for them, but it does count and record.

Mostly somewhat random, but in my opinion if you're ever typing words quickly, even just like when I'm posting things, you're contributing to muscle memory.

If you want someone even faster than me in Dvorak, Jack (vonunov) has an average on typeracer of over 135, which would probably equate to over 170 on 10FF, and a best of a mind-blowing 200 wpm. He commented on my old Dvorak thread, but I haven't seen him since.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Jack

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 November 2013, 23:19:51 »
I'm lurking about. :P

That seems like a pretty optimistic conversion; I don't do nearly that well on 10FF (click signature image).

I don't know if I'm the guy to talk to, because I've been on the same plateau on Typeracer for over 15,000 races, but I'm told the texts have gotten harder overall, so maybe it translates to an improvement.

In any case, I think anyone can do it, but I'm not certain how, in any concrete way. I think it's something like fluidity of finger movement, which is a function of the day's diet, current connective tissue fatigue, ambient temperature and humidity, and the alignment of Jupiter's moons; fluent reading; and avoiding errors, which are more devastating the faster you're going. And it seems like that last one is part luck and part being honest with yourself about when you need to slow down because you're coming to a hard part.

I really just play Typeracer as a game / stats grind sort of thing. Some days I'm posting scores barely high enough to push my full average up toward 130, and some days it's almost all 150+. I'll play a lot if the conditions are right and it comes easily, or if not I'll go do something else. I don't generally train on purpose (except to practice QWERTY) but maybe if I did, that would help.

Instant Death Mode is nice, though. Seems like after I finish a few races in that, I'm in the right mode, where the typing is crisp and aims for speed via accuracy.

Anyway, people ask this kind of question all the time, but the fast typists are usually at a loss to explain well why they're fast. If you look through the Typeracer mailing list, there are plenty of threads about this kind of thing; maybe you can glean some useful stuff from them.

All I can suggest is to relax and not try so hard to go fast. Relaxation and awareness seem to be paramount. Meditation helps for real.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2013, 00:24:51 by Jack »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 00:56:39 »
Yay Jack!
I saw your stuff earlier today, very nice.
And three Dvorak typists in the top ten, me included, at the very bottom, haha. Hope to see you on 10FF more.

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 16:19:16 »
Good info, thanks guys!

All I can suggest is to relax and not try so hard to go fast. Relaxation and awareness seem to be paramount. Meditation helps for real.

For sure there's been times where I've mindlessly typed one out on typeracer and was surprised at the result. I find 10 fast fingers a lot more challenging because it's this sequence of random words - sometimes my reading lags behind my typing, whereas that isn't a problem for me on typeracer, even if the passages are more complex.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 16:29:27 »
Good info, thanks guys!

For sure there's been times where I've mindlessly typed one out on typeracer and was surprised at the result. I find 10 fast fingers a lot more challenging because it's this sequence of random words - sometimes my reading lags behind my typing, whereas that isn't a problem for me on typeracer, even if the passages are more complex.

Haha, I'm the opposite. I can type sequences for ages, but typing long words and punctuation can trip me up on typeracer. Using 10FF to practice sometimes is a good habit because the word are the same, so you can get really fast with the fingers, and learn to read ahead, one of the most important things.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 09:19:26 »
Didn't know about typerace - it's damn addicting:  I'm doing 80-90wpm in most games.
BTW, you do have to correct all mistakes in that game, right?  That's how I've been playing it so far.

Maybe I should learn Dvorak or Colemark!   ;)
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline Jack

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 09:41:27 »
Yeah, it won't let you continue without correcting your errors.

Dvorak or Colemak can be great to pick up if it's the first time you're really bothering with touchtyping (like I was) or if you're having RSI troubles. Returns diminish as your existing QWERTY speed rises, though. I'd say you're not yet at the stage where it's pointless to switch, but don't expect a magic bullet either. It doesn't matter much in the end; this guy uses QWERTY: http://www.seanwrona.com/typeracer/profile.php?username=arenasnow2

http://hi-games.net/ is the other decent typing site where a lot of people play, if you're interested.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 11:19:18 »
Very interesting stuff - it looks like some people might be using bots to get some crazy-looking wpm on those sites!

I don't get why people waste time cheating like that...  ...to me, the point of these sites to improve my own speed.

Offline Jack

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 11:40:20 »
Yeah, there definitely are. Check this guy, for example: http://typeracerdata.appspot.com/users?id=tr:ricky_khanna

That "certWpm": 1860000.0 says he passed the captcha test with an impossible score of 1,860,000 WPM. Guess there should be an upper limit on it. Anyway, there's a small team of people picking these out as we see them and adding them to a spreadsheet for review and removal, so maybe we can get the high scores cleaned up before long.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:31:50 »
LoL - that's hilarious and much more extreme than some of the cases I thought I saw!

If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of switches do you (Jack) and Linkbane use/like?

And how do different switches impact your typing speed/style?

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:47:24 »
Yeah, it won't let you continue without correcting your errors.

Dvorak or Colemak can be great to pick up if it's the first time you're really bothering with touchtyping (like I was) or if you're having RSI troubles. Returns diminish as your existing QWERTY speed rises, though. I'd say you're not yet at the stage where it's pointless to switch, but don't expect a magic bullet either. It doesn't matter much in the end; this guy uses QWERTY: http://www.seanwrona.com/typeracer/profile.php?username=arenasnow2

http://hi-games.net/ is the other decent typing site where a lot of people play, if you're interested.

I'm definitely in the camp that speed can be trained, but Sean Wrona is just an animal. 200wpm+ on any junk keyboard, any kind of text segment, etc. It just seems like a completely different level.

Offline Jack

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:51:36 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48685.msg1045945#msg1045945

Did a quick test there. The results were about the same, but differences become more apparent with longer periods of testing. The MX Blacks get tiring and I can't keep pushing them for very long before I start making errors due to fatigue. The blues end up giving no advantage over the Topres, plus the noise is annoying, so here I am using the Topres mostly. :P

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 14:54:10 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48685.msg1045945#msg1045945

Did a quick test there. The results were about the same, but differences become more apparent with longer periods of testing. The MX Blacks get tiring and I can't keep pushing them for very long before I start making errors due to fatigue. The blues end up giving no advantage over the Topres, plus the noise is annoying, so here I am using the Topres mostly. :P

I find I'm about 10-15wpm faster on scissor switch keyboards (laptops, new apple keyboards, etc.) Don't suppose you have one of those to try out also?

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:25:12 »
Very interesting!  I'm planning to get a hhkb in January...

Have you modded your mechanicals with o-rings or have you trained yourself to type lightly enough that you don't bottom out anyways?

I've only had my MX reds for a week (first mechanical).  After noticing that I was kind of noisy, I looked around GH and found that because I was coming from scissor switch boards, I was more prone towards bottoming out.

This fact led me into reading about o-ring mods.  I'd be interested in trying them out, but thinking about it some more, perhaps I should be training myself NOT to bottom out instead...

Offline Jack

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:29:10 »
I find I'm about 10-15wpm faster on scissor switch keyboards (laptops, new apple keyboards, etc.) Don't suppose you have one of those to try out also?

I just tried a new Apple wireless keyboard (using Typeracer so I could see speed during the act and use material I'm already familiar with my performance on) and I could reach my usual speeds at times, though it was hard not to make errors so I tended to finish in the 130s. Probably takes time to get accustomed to it.

Have you modded your mechanicals with o-rings or have you trained yourself to type lightly enough that you don't bottom out anyways?

I have the black o-rings (50A-R) on the MX Blacks (using Cherry keycaps). I mainly wanted them for shorter travel because I thought it would take away the fatiguing part of the switches, but they're still tiring to press. It could just be that I still hit them pretty hard at any decent speed, and maybe I should have gotten one of the softer o-rings.

I've tried the whole deal with only riding the actuation point, but I can't pull it off with consistent accuracy. Maybe it works better for some people. Seems pretty well impossible on the Topres though. I'm inclined to agree with the others here who say that if you're typing very fast at all, you're simply going to bottom out, so instead of trying not to do that, I just try to find the best stuff to stick in the keyboard to mitigate that.

I'm thinking of trying MX Reds with red o-rings, so if you end up getting those, I'd like to hear how they work out for you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 15:39:29 by Jack »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 16:12:17 »
Jack, when I type at my fastest speed, I don't bottom out much, because I'm typing lighter than when I'm at lower speeds. However, I use blues, and that could contribute, as blacks require more force and indicate when actuation has reached. Have you ever tried tactile boards, and how do you do on them?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 22:58:50 »
Well, on the subject of the super speedsters...

There will be people who at critical periods of brain development initiated an expansion and greater appropriation of brain areas dedicated to the hand-eye pathway..

This is possible because your brain is highly plastic during youth..

It also explains why developing certain skills and thought-concepts become slower and more difficult for older  individuals, because their brain is already deeply tuned for a previous routine..

The most recent neuro research indicates that the brain continues to possess plasticity at ANY AGE... however, obviously one can not achieve the rate of growth and alteration on par with youngsters.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 23:08:08 »
While browsing around, I saw this interesting video about a Japanese professional real-time subtitler at 330 Japanese characters per minute.

She uses a very interesting HOMEROW-ONLY keyboard used only by subtitlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUiURlbopaA

Here's a close-up:

45745-0

It's a really interesting keyboard - the letters on home row have been rearranged out-of-order (I'm assuming in Japanese frequency order), backspace on left-pinky, return on right-pinky, (shift, tab, numerics) on top, two space bars for the thumbs.

I googled around for an equivalent keyboard for English and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velotype

DAMN!  If I were just starting out, not knowing Qwerty, I just might go for that!
I wonder if there are any reduced-number-of-keys chording type keyboard out there for English.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 23:23:07 by kfmfe04 »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 23:33:50 »
While browsing around, I saw this interesting video about a Japanese professional real-time subtitler at 330 Japanese characters per minute.

She uses a very interesting HOMEROW-ONLY keyboard used only by subtitlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUiURlbopaA

Here's a close-up:

(Attachment Link)

It's a really interesting keyboard - the letters on home row have been rearranged out-of-order (I'm assuming in Japanese frequency order), backspace on left-pinky, return on right-pinky, (shift, tab, numerics) on top, two space bars for the thumbs.

I googled around for an equivalent keyboard for English and found this:

DAMN!  If I were just starting out, not knowing Qwerty, I just might go for that!
I wonder if there are any reduced-number-of-keys chording type keyboard out there for English.

I don't know if you don't know or what, but there are stenotype machines, with the best operators going at over 325 wpm (1625 cpm).

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 23:37:36 »
Didn't know that - interesting!  On your suggestion, I came across this:

http://plover.stenoknight.com/2010/03/how-to-speak-with-your-fingers.html

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 03:36:10 »
Okay, I've decided that steno/plover is too much work.

I've begun practicing Colemak homerow.

Offline Jack

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 04:05:02 »
http://data.typeracer.com/pit/profile?user=ploversteno Some Typeracer results from Mirabai. As you can see, the results vary dramatically with the familiarity and simplicity of the matter, and almost always have terrible accuracy as the steno software has to alter the text that's initially entered in as more phonemes are added to form a word. However, it has the potential to reach intimidating speeds.

Offline tufty

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 04:13:12 »

Velotype as disclosed in the patent has mappings for Dutch, English and German.  The production version possibly handles more.  The patent is particularly interesting, as it features not only a detailed discussion of the layout and usage, but also has flowcharts and (pseudo) source code for the key mappings.

Offline WakeMeIPlan

• Micro Baby, Micro.
    • United Kingdom Box plots
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 04:16:44 »
I do a lot better when I know know the words. If I'm reading a word that i don't immediately recognize, I begin to fumble. Also if I mess up, I get thrown off and continue to mess up.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 04:34:30 »
http://data.typeracer.com/pit/profile?user=ploversteno Some Typeracer results from Mirabai. As you can see, the results vary dramatically with the familiarity and simplicity of the matter, and almost always have terrible accuracy as the steno software has to alter the text that's initially entered in as more phonemes are added to form a word. However, it has the potential to reach intimidating speeds.

Wow - that's really interesting: a much larger variance than I expected!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 10:37:30 »
I do a lot better when I know know the words. If I'm reading a word that i don't immediately recognize, I begin to fumble. Also if I mess up, I get thrown off and continue to mess up.

Usually it helps me to slow down, read it in advance, and try to break it up into sections.
I also thought that steno is best suited for punctuation-free typing?

Offline Proword

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 00:27:48 »
All of my work is audio-transcription so I don't get a chance to pre-read (or hear) anything, so it's all "new" to me at first hearing.  I can rattle along at the speed of normal speech which is anything from 150 to 180 wpm.

It's possible to create your own stenotype using your own abbreviations with WordPerfect word processing software.

http://proword-transcription.blogspot.com.au/

Although I've been using a Maltron since 1986, the WP stenotype will work with any keyboard the user is familiar with. 
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 02:30:12 »
My opinion?
Satisfy your Topre curiosity. You only live once!

All of my work is audio-transcription so I don't get a chance to pre-read (or hear) anything, so it's all "new" to me at first hearing.  I can rattle along at the speed of normal speech which is anything from 150 to 180 wpm.

It's possible to create your own stenotype using your own abbreviations with WordPerfect word processing software.

http://proword-transcription.blogspot.com.au/

Although I've been using a Maltron since 1986, the WP stenotype will work with any keyboard the user is familiar with. 

That is really awesome, and fast! Not that it'd be the most exciting of things, but do you have a video of yourself at work?

Offline Proword

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 20:47:00 »
Here's a video of me transcribing an oral history interview.   Most of my work was in court, where the recordings were much better, but this will give an idea of how it works.

Joe

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 21:12:31 »
Here's a video of me transcribing an oral history interview.   Most of my work was in court, where the recordings were much better, but this will give an idea of how it works.

Joe

Random question, how quickly do you type without stenotype?

Offline Annas

• Have a good day
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:29:28 »

Maybe they type Dvorak or Colemak. It's possible.

Offline Proword

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 17:42:59 »

Random question, how quickly do you type without stenotype?

It's very hard to tell, because none of the typing testers allow me to use the steno.    :))  However I can type at pretty much the same speed, it just takes a lot more effort.

Joe

On Edit:  I've found that with audio transcription, the limiting factor for typing is usually the quality of the recording.  A good recording (eg a judge handing down a decision in a case) will allow me to increase the playback speed, sometimes by 5-6%, whereas a bad recording (with 3-4 people all shouting at once) I might be limited to maybe 5-10 wpm, because I have to rewind the recording, cut out 3 channels (most courts use 4 channel recording), type one speaker, rewind, change to another channel, type that speaker, and so on.   Then I have to go right back to the beginning of the recording and do a 100% sound check, and correct any errors.  My contractual obligation requires me to make no more than 2 errors per page (350 words on average) which works out at 99.9995% accuracy.  So that takes the final typing speed down even further. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 19:26:20 by Proword »

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 00:19:02 »
It's very hard to tell, because none of the typing testers allow me to use the steno.    :))  However I can type at pretty much the same speed, it just takes a lot more effort.

Wait, so like over 150 wpm without steno?  :eek:

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 01:37:27 »

Wait, so like over 150 wpm without steno?  :eek:

Hmm... ...there's no need to compare apples and oranges here...

Proword's using Maltron, which has a different layout/ergonomics, and he's also using his very extensive shorthand/macro to type quickly, which is all fair game in my eyes! 

Are you going to ask him to time himself next with a Dell QWERTY rubber-dome and no WordPerfect correction?

In fact, I'm quite envious of anyone who has the patience and persistence to generate such a long list of replacements for speed.  I really like what he's advocating on his website - that we create our own abbreviations for our own shorthand.  In this age of computers and available customization, it certainly makes sense to personalize our typing according to our own preferences.

Heck, we're already doing that on the hardware side with all these customized boards and layouts!  Proword has simply brought it up to the next level.

If I had a ton of time, I would like to create a chorded keyboard similar to hybrid between a stenotype and piano keys, with my own customized chord mappings, combined with a dictionary for shorthand at the software layer like what Proword has done.  It might be optimized for typing in a few languages I am interested in (with statistical analysis, this is definitely feasible) and for C-like coding languages.

But to do so properly, I would have to study what has already been done and then adapt the current state-of-the-art to myself for faster learning and better retention.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 02:29:41 »
Proword's using Maltron, which has a different layout/ergonomics, and he's also using his very extensive shorthand/macro to type quickly, which is all fair game in my eyes! 

In your eyes, which are completely different from my own. Typing shorthand has no correlation to typing regularly, without computer assistance. Typing correction does not count at all because it's not by the ability of the typist; it's foolish to think that they're the same.
All you really did is dismiss my question to further express your own opinion, which I found rather immature. Please desist, or don't quote me when you're not answering anything I say.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 03:08:31 »
So does Mirabai using plover count?

imho, using (computer-assisted mapping + the grey matter between the ears) is even more impressive, because you are effectively breaking through the limitations of APM by distributing the work from your fingers to your brain (doing real-time mapping) - it's like breaking the 9600baud barrier by compressing and decompressing in real-time

but you can see it a different way if you like...
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2013, 03:14:10 by kfmfe04 »

Offline Jack

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 04:17:59 »
On Edit:  I've found that with audio transcription, the limiting factor for typing is usually the quality of the recording. 

Yeah, same here, quality and content of the recording. I once did a verbatim transcript of a great hearing with only two very clear speakers and little need to research any terms. I was able to rattle along with that for the most part and finish under 3:1, and I never bothered with autocomplete entries. I was fairly new to transcription, too, so that time might be different today. On the other hand, I once had a completely terrible phoned-in unemployment hearing. Up to four speakers at times, bad connection, altogether not a fun time. That one took quite a bit longer.

Have you thought about learning steno? Worst case, you'll be faster at offline transcription, and in the best case, you could be a court reporter or CART provider. I want to play with Plover but I don't yet have a suitable keyboard that I want to stick those pads to.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 09:14:38 »
So does Mirabai using plover count?

imho, using (computer-assisted mapping + the grey matter between the ears) is even more impressive, because you are effectively breaking through the limitations of APM by distributing the work from your fingers to your brain (doing real-time mapping) - it's like breaking the 9600baud barrier by compressing and decompressing in real-time

but you can see it a different way if you like...

Please, stop. Your stupidity is hurting me.
Typing is already translating a word into finger actions. The difference is that steno is pressing less keys to produce more letters, akin to comparing a knife and an electric saw. I'm sure that the second one can cut more easily, but it requires very little strength, despite the slightly increased finesse.

Offline Proword

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 01:23:19 »

.. The difference is that steno is pressing less keys to produce more letters...

There are considerable differences between true steno and my WP shorthand.  With steno, it's not just a matter of "pressing fewer keys".  With steno the keys are pressed simultaneously, or chorded.  With keyboard shorthand, the keystrokes are sequential.  This means that physically the steno seems to be doing less work.

This video shows a stenotypist in action.  It's in French, but you can still see the fingers pressing the keys simultaneously, rather than in my video, where they are sequential.

On the down side because steno was originally a machine shorthand based upon sounds (like Pitmans pen eg) rather than words, prior to computerisation, the output from the stenotype machine

had to be translated into proper English or "scoped", usually by a specialist  editor or "scopist".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopist

As you can see the text on the tape bore no resemblance to the final "expanded" text.  This meant that the shorthand had to be "universal", as was pen-based shorthand, so that it could be translated by a third party, even years later.  Thus in order to use steno there is literally years of study to acquire the skill (as well as costs of thousands of dollars), whereas with keyboard shorthand it's immediate (and free).  The typist or WPO can add their own abbreviations in their own time, while still transcribing non-abbreviated text in full.  Because the abbreviations are entered into the computer beforehand (which is now happening with stenotype)  the translation is immediate and error free.  The same principle is applied in SMS texting on mobile phones, except if I send a message to a friend, I have to assume that they will know what my abbreviations stand for, which can lead to no end of difficulty through misinterpretation.  But those people who are adept at using SMS-type abbreviating should find keyboard shorthand quite easy.

I'm rather puzzled that you should find 150 wpm worthy of comment.  I worked for many years in various court reporting firms and there were literally dozens of people who were typing at about that speed.  None of them was using (my) shorthand, so they were typing everything in full, on QWERTY keyboards.  It was how I started out until we shifted from HP Word software to WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, which is where I began to really develop the shorthand, as well as bring my Maltron in.

In his post, Jack has pointed out that he was working at a ratio of 3:1.   That means he takes three minutes to type one minute of audio.  The world recognised standard is 4:1, so he's going pretty well.  He also mentions "little need to research any terms".  My contractual obligation, as I mentioned, is to be 99.9995% accurate.  Most stenotypists, on my understanding, work to 97-98%.  To obtain my level of accuracy I have to stop typing and search for information, whether it be the name of a street, a type of washing machine, a medical procedure or an illegal chemical substance.  I have to be able to find this information quickly, because whilst I'm not typing, the clock is still ticking.

I was assigned to a forensic pathology office for 12 months, doing transcription of post mortem reports, which was 99% standard stuff, although each of the three doctors had their own individual way of describing.  After a couple of weeks, by the judicious application of the functions of the word processor, I was able to enter 2-4 keystrokes, and have about 10-15 seconds of audio transcribed in under a second.  This calculated out to be 3-4,000 wpm.  But nevertheless I still had to listen to it all the way to check that the doctor hadn't said something out of the ordinary.  I was able to research the correct spellings etc beforehand so that I was able to do a complete autopsy report in a few minutes.

My experience is that a slower typist who knows everything will do a better, faster, job than a speed freak who doesn't know anything and has to stop and find stuff out all the time or correct errors.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 01:37:23 »

.. The difference is that steno is pressing less keys to produce more letters...

There are considerable differences between true steno and my WP shorthand.  With steno, it's not just a matter of "pressing fewer keys".  With steno the keys are pressed simultaneously, or chorded.  With keyboard shorthand, the keystrokes are sequential.  This means that physically the steno seems to be doing less work.

This video shows a stenotypist in action.  It's in French, but you can still see the fingers pressing the keys simultaneously, rather than in my video, where they are sequential.

On the down side because steno was originally a machine shorthand based upon sounds (like Pitmans pen eg) rather than words, prior to computerisation, the output from the stenotype machine

Show Image

had to be translated into proper English or "scoped", usually by a specialist  editor or "scopist".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopist

As you can see the text on the tape bore no resemblance to the final "expanded" text.  This meant that the shorthand had to be "universal", as was pen-based shorthand, so that it could be translated by a third party, even years later.  Thus in order to use steno there is literally years of study to acquire the skill (as well as costs of thousands of dollars), whereas with keyboard shorthand it's immediate (and free).  The typist or WPO can add their own abbreviations in their own time, while still transcribing non-abbreviated text in full.  Because the abbreviations are entered into the computer beforehand (which is now happening with stenotype)  the translation is immediate and error free.  The same principle is applied in SMS texting on mobile phones, except if I send a message to a friend, I have to assume that they will know what my abbreviations stand for, which can lead to no end of difficulty through misinterpretation.  But those people who are adept at using SMS-type abbreviating should find keyboard shorthand quite easy.

I'm rather puzzled that you should find 150 wpm worthy of comment.  I worked for many years in various court reporting firms and there were literally dozens of people who were typing at about that speed.  None of them was using (my) shorthand, so they were typing everything in full, on QWERTY keyboards.  It was how I started out until we shifted from HP Word software to WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS, which is where I began to really develop the shorthand, as well as bring my Maltron in.

In his post, Jack has pointed out that he was working at a ratio of 3:1.   That means he takes three minutes to type one minute of audio.  The world recognised standard is 4:1, so he's going pretty well.  He also mentions "little need to research any terms".  My contractual obligation, as I mentioned, is to be 99.9995% accurate.  Most stenotypists, on my understanding, work to 97-98%.  To obtain my level of accuracy I have to stop typing and search for information, whether it be the name of a street, a type of washing machine, a medical procedure or an illegal chemical substance.  I have to be able to find this information quickly, because whilst I'm not typing, the clock is still ticking.

I was assigned to a forensic pathology office for 12 months, doing transcription of post mortem reports, which was 99% standard stuff, although each of the three doctors had their own individual way of describing.  After a couple of weeks, by the judicious application of the functions of the word processor, I was able to enter 2-4 keystrokes, and have about 10-15 seconds of audio transcribed in under a second.  This calculated out to be 3-4,000 wpm.  But nevertheless I still had to listen to it all the way to check that the doctor hadn't said something out of the ordinary.  I was able to research the correct spellings etc beforehand so that I was able to do a complete autopsy report in a few minutes.

My experience is that a slower typist who knows everything will do a better, faster, job than a speed freak who doesn't know anything and has to stop and find stuff out all the time or correct errors.

That is some very interesting insight, thanks for sharing!

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 16:05:46 »
I actually agree with you, but unfortunately, you don't see it.  The only difference is I'm just "stupid" for looking at this from a broader perspective.

That's right.  Typing is also akin to using a "better tool" than transcribing by hand on paper or using a chisel and rock (although the latter may have more artistic value than typing on a keyboard). 

Why not use a better tool when it is available or you are better able to use it?

I personally don't care if that tool is typing, talking into Siri, or using a machine which can read my mind and transcribe automagically.  Whether using chorded or not, Colemak or Dvorak, or some other layout, it's all fine.  Of course, customised keyboards or user-interfaces are fine.

This is why I'm particularly impressed by Proword's experience.  He's part of a group of professionals who have been optimising for speed with the best tools that he can get his hands at the time it is available. 

Heck, he has created his own methodology, and he's been doing this since DOS - that's really impressive!  With his potential upside of 3-4,000 wpm, I doubt a normal person can reach that without attaching electrodes to one's head and cranking the time-machine 50 years? into the future.

If my livelihood depended on it or if I had the time to learn it, I would definitely look into learning his system.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Proword!

BTW, Proword do you have any insight into how to improve typing accuracy? 

You have a special keyboard/layout, decades of experience, and a customised system, which all must help.  But is there anything a normal person can do to improve in this area? 

Your speed is already at a level beyond my comprehension, but your accuracy - just wow... ...I'm speechless.  I'm going back to your website to reread your experience...
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 November 2013, 16:27:18 by kfmfe04 »

Offline Proword

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 19:02:38 »
I actually agree with you, but unfortunately, you don't see it.  The only difference is I'm just "stupid" for looking at this from a broader perspective.

That's right.  Typing is also akin to using a "better tool" than transcribing by hand on paper or using a chisel and rock (although the latter may have more artistic value than typing on a keyboard). 

Why not use a better tool when it is available or you are better able to use it?

I personally don't care if that tool is typing, talking into Siri, or using a machine which can read my mind and transcribe automagically.  Whether using chorded or not, Colemak or Dvorak, or some other layout, it's all fine.  Of course, customised keyboards or user-interfaces are fine.

This is why I'm particularly impressed by Proword's experience.  He's part of a group of professionals who have been optimising for speed with the best tools that he can get his hands at the time it is available. 

Heck, he has created his own methodology, and he's been doing this since DOS - that's really impressive!  With his potential upside of 3-4,000 wpm, I doubt a normal person can reach that without attaching electrodes to one's head and cranking the time-machine 50 years? into the future.

If my livelihood depended on it or if I had the time to learn it, I would definitely look into learning his system.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Proword!

BTW, Proword do you have any insight into how to improve typing accuracy? 

You have a special keyboard/layout, decades of experience, and a customised system, which all must help.  But is there anything a normal person can do to improve in this area? 

Your speed is already at a level beyond my comprehension, but your accuracy - just wow... ...I'm speechless.  I'm going back to your website to reread your experience...

Firstly, thanks for your kind words.  I'm always glad to be able to share my experience around, because in my time I meet so much apathy or even negativity.  There are two areas in particular, the keyboard and the software.  I can understand that perhaps when I produce the Maltron keyboard because (a) it IS expensive and (b) people wrongly assume it means throwing away experience gained on other keyboards by learning the Malt layout.  My perception is that learning the Malt layout on the Malt keyboard will not displace previous keyboard skill (just say QWERTY for example), except that one's skill will diminish somewhat, purely from lack of use.  I learned to type on QWERTY in 1967, and changed to Malt in 1986.  But I can still type with QWERTY on a "flat" keyboard, but it takes me a while to get the skill back, because I literally will go 5-6 years without touching a QWERTY.  But it's still there.  Problems occur when somebody tries to learn a second keyboard layout on the same physical keyboard shape - ie flat.  There is nothing to prompt the "muscle memory" as fully. 

The second area of negativity is when I suggest changing to WordPerfect.  As time has gone by I have found that more and more people don't know of any word processing package except Microsoft Word.  This is completely due to Microsoft's rather predatory practices of getting computer makers to install MS Word/Office software as a freebie, knowing that when it comes time to update the software the buyer will replace like with like.  As with the keyboard people (generally) like to stick with what they know.  Obviously groups like this contain a higher percentage of people who DON'T like to stick with what they know.

The comment "... looking at this from a broader perspective" is really a very apt way of regarding this.  Eg looking past the labels.  My main thought is that simply because a function is labelled "QuickCorrect" doesn't mean it has to be used for that purpose and that purpose only.  I actually use the function labelled "QuickWords" to do automatic error correction, simply because the QC function is faster and more efficient.  Both WordPerfect and MS Word can be tailored to suit the WPO's requirements, but WordPerfect is easier to do this with.  Space does not permit a full explanation, but if you look at my blog I give illustrations of how to change the keyboard mapping on MSW and WP.  WP is SO much better.

"BTW, Proword do you have any insight into how to improve typing accuracy?"

Like my recommendations for creating abbreviations, one person is likely to have a different view on what is "right" than another, so other than the old "practice, practice, practice" I can't be more specific.  However, one of the tricks which gives me this practice is to use WP as much as I can.  For example, in typing this reply, I'm not doing it in the reply box for the board, rather I'm in WP, using all my tricks.  Then, when I'm finished, I've got a small macro attached to a single keystroke which, by using the normal "Select All" function from the WP menu I can copy this entire document.  I then return to this thread and paste the text.  I can use this in real time with chat rooms (eg Second Life or Skype), in fact any software which has access to the Windows clipboard.

When I mention 99.9995% accuracy, this is the finished product which I hand to the client.  As I said when I finished the initial draft of the document, I then go back to the beginning and do a 100% sound check, correcting any errors as I go.  Whilst I don't keep accurate count, generally I find sufficient errors to take my accuracy to about 98-99+% before correction.

"You have a special keyboard/layout, decades of experience, and a customised system, which all must help" is exactly right.  I couldn't do what I do if any of these were missing.

I suppose I can summarise my thoughts on improving accuracy - - balance speed with accuracy.  What I've done is given myself a way of "slowing down" to allow myself more time to think while improving the output.

If anybody has any queries about the blog, by all means send an IM and I'll do my best to assist. 

Joe

Offline Proword

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 19:36:57 »

In fact, I'm quite envious of anyone who has the patience and persistence to generate such a long list of replacements for speed.

I'm actually very IMpatient. ;D  Much of my list of abbreviations was done "on the fly".   Here is my WP menu bar.

You will see I have an item on the menu bar for QuickCorrect.  If I'm typing along and hear a word or phrase which I think needs to have an abbreviation created (eg "take it to the limit") I will type the first abbreviation that comes to mind and then attempt to expand it. (my first thought was "tai2l").  If nothing happens - ie there was no pre-existing abbreviation, then I will type the full expression, select it, click on the QC button, and type the abbreviation next to the expression, save and close. 

I'm then back in the document and continue typing.

Later on, with time on my hands, I might then create a couple of "linked" abbreviations, such "toi2l" (took it to the limit) and "tani2l" (taken it to the limit).  I may never use these abbreviations - but if I do then I know that if I take the first abbreviation that comes to mind it will work, because I'm using the same mind to get the abbreviation. (One of the beauties of WP compared to MS Word is that there is no limit (that I have found) to the size of the QC file - MS Word seems to be limited to about 28K - going above that can generate out of memory errors.  My current QC file is about 300K - and growing.)

To create an abbreviation is extremely quick and easy - because I'm a very impatient person.  :thumb:

Joe

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 22:19:00 »
Very interesting stuff!

I guess the quality of "impatience" in a typist is equivalent to being "lazy" for a programmer: both lead to intolerance for inefficiencies.

I just found a correction facility under keyboard/text in OSX mavericks, and added my first entry:  "abbr" for "abbreviation"

I'm going to look into a way to mass load a long list of such mappings - if there's no built-in way, I can prolly write some Applescript to make the computer load it for me.

Proword, do you have a suggestion where I can find a list of common abbreviations that I can use to "seed" my initial list?

I'm just discovering your treasure trove of blogs that you have posted on the matter - I will read some more before posting any more questions - thx!

EDIT:  I see the list you have created at the end of your blog page - it's probably too legal-centric for me, but just looking through the list, it gives me a great idea of how best to abbreviate for my own cases.  I will probably just start with that list and keep the ones that will be useful for me.  Thx.

EDIT:  Wow - 6816 entries!  I'm thinking now that this functionality could also be extremely useful for typing foreign language text quickly.  I will start adding some of my own.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 November 2013, 22:29:00 by kfmfe04 »

Offline Proword

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:06:27 »
Just a question and perhaps a caveat.  What is the execute key for the expansion function?  If it's something like the space bar or a full stop or comma etc, then you are inevitably going to run into the steno's nightmare, which is having an abbreviation which is a "real"  word.  My best example is days of the week/months of the year.  I use the first three letters, but words like Sat, Sun, Wed, Jan, Mar, May,  etc will crop up in the course of ordinary work, and if your execute function is attached to the space bar then you will have unwanted expansions occurring. 

One solution is to make your abbreviations text strings which are unlikely to pop up - which means you have to be able to see well into the future to know for sure.  The other way  is add some sort of marker eg #Jan, #Wed, to make the abbreviations unique.  This was what I did in 1990, when my first employer was using Hewlett Packard Word.  But as you can see, this adds an extra keystroke to every abbreviation, which tends to defeat the idea of abbreviating.

However, if, as in my own system, you have the capacity to tie the expansion function to the keystroke of your choice, then that's not a problem.  This is one of the reasons I chose WordPerfect over MS Word, because in both programs, the expansion function works on the space bar, and other punctuation marks.  But whilst I could re-assign the expansion function to my own key in WP, it was not possible (at least efficiently) in MS Word.

As you have observed, I have a bias towards legal because that's the work I do.  You will have your own row to hoe in that respect. 

Have fun.

Joe

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:38:10 »
In OSX Mavericks, I have found out the following:

1. Spacebar invokes the checker (there seems to be no way to set it to anything else)

2. Can't insert characters like # into the source word

3. Foreign language mapping:  suppose I map nh to 妳好 The checker seems to work only if I am using the U.S. Keyboard which means I need to switch away from Pinyin to U.S., type nh, and then switch back Pinyin.  Works for now, but not so convenient.

Offline Proword

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:23:13 »
Ah, well, I know absolutely nothing about Apple Mac so all I can do is wish you bon voyage on your journey into this unknown land.   ;)

Joe

Offline MonoSky

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 09:16:56 »
I just tried 10fastfinger on my laptop only got around 85~WPM. But after trying it twice, my left arm is already sore...
|| Corsair K90 Reds || KBT Race WHITE LED with Black Switches || CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Reds

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:17:13 »
I'm getting faster and faster as time goes by and with practice, but for me the switches I use also have a lot to do with it. I max out at around 90 WPM on blues, but with Browns 90 is my minimum. Reds and blacks aren't for me as I just can't seem to get by with linear switches. But I usually average around 90-95.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:12:53 »

Damn so close. Oh well
I love Elzy

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:59:49 »
Damn, dem fingers be flying.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 18:39:29 »

Am I relevant now?
I love Elzy

Offline flopska

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 14:40:06 »
Yesh, you are!!! :O

I am still at ~75-80 on 10ff :( Long way to go...

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 11 December 2013, 16:44:32 »
And I'm watching this thread barely passing 40..... Well it's time for practice.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 08:00:06 »
As a guy who types long stuff a lot, I find myself far better at typing when it is something I know. IE when there is something I want to say, I can type incredibly fast, while if it's a typing test I can't keep up.

I can't sustain 140wpm for more than 10 minutes straight though. When I run out of things to say, I have to stop.

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Blusey

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 03:01:25 »
With 10FastFingers, I can knock out 115 consistently on MX Blues / Domed. Not tried yet on Blacks or others. Will have to get round to it as blues start to hurt my hand just a little after a while. Not sure which keys would be better

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 06:52:59 »
Browns.

Offline shaaniqbal

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 14:26:48 »
My record:

I use an Apple Wireless keyboard and average 145-155 WPM.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 15:49:22 »
And I'm watching this thread barely passing 40..... Well it's time for practice.

Practice does make significantly better.  :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 16:40:43 »
I call bull**** on 99% of the people who say they can do this throughout an entire work day and sustain those numbers.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 19:20:36 »
Yeah. My comfortable average would be around 75-85 at best. It's only when I'm pushing myself and really focused that I can do 100+

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 21:31:34 »
I call bull**** on 99% of the people who say they can do this throughout an entire work day and sustain those numbers.

I would say it's unlikely, but there are as you say a very small percent (much smaller than 99.999%, I guarantee you) who can maintain over 140 wpm through activities. It generally requires you to be focused on what you need to type, though. I at least maintain probably about 120 wpm doing daily activities (such as typing out this post).

Offline Proword

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 01:00:39 »
The word "average" gets bandied about without being really understood.  In another thread I wrote:

About 6 years ago I took an entire month's work, reduced it to straight text (no formatting, page breaks etc) and calculated that based upon an 8 hour day, and a 5 day week, with NO breaks of any sort, I was achieving [an average of] 23 wpm.  And given that I was using the finished (ie proof read and corrected) copy it was virtually 100% accurate. 

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 01:53:58 »
The word "average" gets bandied about without being really understood.  In another thread I wrote:

About 6 years ago I took an entire month's work, reduced it to straight text (no formatting, page breaks etc) and calculated that based upon an 8 hour day, and a 5 day week, with NO breaks of any sort, I was achieving [an average of] 23 wpm.  And given that I was using the finished (ie proof read and corrected) copy it was virtually 100% accurate. 

Whether or not your definition is different from others doesn't have any bearing on it not being understood by anybody but yourself. Speed for typing is not simply words/time, it's words/time typing.

Offline Proword

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 02:13:59 »
Speed for typing is not simply words/time, it's words/time typing.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm saying.  To achieve that average of 23 wpm you would have to type at 23 wpm for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks per month.  As soon as you stop to go to have a coffee or lunch, or go to the toilet, you average speed would start dropping.   Hence I would have to type at 180 wpm to make up for the time lost in the normal working day, such as answering the phone, starting a new job, proof reading etc.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 10:57:28 »
Speed for typing is not simply words/time, it's words/time typing.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm saying.  To achieve that average of 23 wpm you would have to type at 23 wpm for 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks per month.  As soon as you stop to go to have a coffee or lunch, or go to the toilet, you average speed would start dropping.   Hence I would have to type at 180 wpm to make up for the time lost in the normal working day, such as answering the phone, starting a new job, proof reading etc.

You're saying the exact opposite; time not spent typing has zero effect on speed is what I'm saying. Productivity, as in words produced in a work day might be what you're talking about, but it has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:07:41 »
http://10fastfingers.com/result/1_CE/I+can+type+82+words+per+minute+Are+you+faster?

I got 82! That's not bad for a first run!

I've been doing the test with Both the Poker II Brown MX and the SteelSeries 7G Black MX, i made my record with the Poker II.

I can't think how the first one in the scoreboard (Nihad) made 190 words with 950 strokes. He's super good!

I should learn a new layout to get better but i do not think it's worth the shot, for the sole reason that most keyboards are QWERTY, and therefore learning the norm is the best in my opinion. It's better to be 120 WPM on 99% of the boards you'll be in touch with than 150 WPM with your single board imo.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 16:12:50 »
That's not bad at all. The Poker II with Browns is what I use as well and it's a really comfortable little board.

I can't even dream of doing 950 strokes, goddamn..

Offline Proword

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 17:36:31 »
. Productivity, as in words produced in a work day might be what you're talking about, but it has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

You should come back to reality.  When you leave high school and have to get a job, it's where the money comes from.  You don't get paid to type at 150 wpm for a minute.   

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 17:39:10 »
. Productivity, as in words produced in a work day might be what you're talking about, but it has no bearing on what I'm talking about.

You should come back to reality.  When you leave high school and have to get a job, it's where the money comes from.  You don't get paid to type at 150 wpm for a minute.

^^ this guy knows what's up

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 18:24:34 »

Praise the sun, aint that the truth!

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 19:43:39 »

When did this discussion go anywhere near the topic of jobs? If that's how it's measured, go figure. You weren't talking about jobs, and deciding to use your age as leverage is immature.
If you could get your head out of your rear where it's currently stuck before you attempt to communicate, that'd be good.

Offline Proword

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 19:50:37 »
Res ipsa loquitur

Joe

Offline shaaniqbal

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 20:19:39 »

When did this discussion go anywhere near the topic of jobs?

Right here:

Offline Proword

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 21:09:57 »

... deciding to use your age as leverage is immature.

On 4 Oct 2013 you posted ...

I also am a high-schooler, without much mnoey; I doubt that I could afford the ErgoDox, perhaps the TECK at most. I'd consider the ErgoDox, just tp4's stupidity has turned me off of the idea.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 02:00:49 »

... deciding to use your age as leverage is immature.

On 4 Oct 2013 you posted ...

I also am a high-schooler, without much mnoey; I doubt that I could afford the ErgoDox, perhaps the TECK at most. I'd consider the ErgoDox, just tp4's stupidity has turned me off of the idea.

Money as an example of something I'd be short at? Just because I am mentioning my age doesn't mean that I'm using it is leverage in an argument. Thanks for stalking my old threads, by the way.

Offline Proword

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 02:10:40 »
You wrote what you wrote.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 08:18:24 »
You wrote what you wrote.

No one cares about your ****ty job, where you lament writing your 23wpm w/e-s..

The subject is typing speed.. you type slowly, if someone types faster than you, you should listen to that person with respect to the subject..

If the subject was "your ****ty job",  I'm all ears on how you make it through the day without killing yourself..

But the subject is not that, it's WPM...  so... get over urself, try not to die, and maybe learn something here that would only help you..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 08:19:43 »
Are different keyboards rated for different speeds?

Like car tires some are only rated to go so fast....I'd hate for someone to have a keyboard blow out or catch fire! :eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 08:22:48 »

Like car tires some are only rated to go so fast....I'd hate for someone to have a keyboard blow out or catch fire! :eek:

technically yes... but... you'd have to be the-flash or superman...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:49:21 »
The breaks in logical conversation flow on this page are staggering :)  People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind  ;)

This in particular was especially mind boggling.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 16:51:02 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:15:41 »
The breaks in logical conversation flow on this page are staggering :)  People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind  ;)

This in particular was especially mind boggling.

Yup.. it seems like he's trying to justify his slow-wpm by saying: "in a real job you would never need to type that fast"

1, I don't know why he'd need to prove anything about that fact, or why he'd be insecure about it, enough that he'd go out of his way to shield his ego..

2, What does your job have to do with the attempt to reach higher WPM...

Offline Proword

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:30:54 »
People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind
Exactly

Yup.. it seems like he's trying to justify his slow-wpm by saying: "in a real job you would never need to type that fast"

If you read what I actually wrote, and not what you think I wrote, I said that I need to type at 180 wpm in order to achieve a daily average speed of 23 wpm.  If you are able to achieve 23 wpm for 8 hours - without stopping keying for ANYTHING - I'd be very surprised indeed.  I certainly couldn't type for 8 hours without stopping.  My comment was about the lack of understanding of the concept of average typing speed. 

Joe

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:36:26 »
No, you're all still missing it.  Linkbane was talking about bursts of typing.  So you sit down and put your hands onto your keyboard and begin typing an e-mail.  Then you take your hands off and go for a cup of coffee.  In the interval while you typed the e-mail, that would be the words per typing time, or actual speed.  Averaged, because you might be doing that a number of times, to reply to 10 e-mails.

Nothing to do with age... nothing to do with justifying how many WPM an employer would be impressed with or not. 

And maintaining WPM through work day clearly doesn't mean people type for 8 hours straight without even having a bathroom break.  But while they do type, their average WPM when typing will be a certain number.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:38:25 »
Very good points, PE.

That raises a question (for me, at least). What WPM should I be looking to achieve to impress someone? Is my 50-70 too low? Will 150 make me look crazy?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:40:23 »
People arguing on different points, often misunderstanding what the person before them had in mind
Exactly

If you read what I actually wrote, and not what you think I wrote, I said that I need to type at 180 wpm in order to achieve a daily average speed of 23 wpm.  If you are able to achieve 23 wpm for 8 hours - without stopping keying for ANYTHING - I'd be very surprised indeed.  I certainly couldn't type for 8 hours without stopping.  My comment was about the lack of understanding of the concept of average typing speed. 

Joe

Average typing speed...   is indeed what we're talking about..

You're talking about  average productivity output... 

We are discussing the ACT of typing faster.

You're hung up on what one would ultimately DO with the-typing.

I do believe this has been your action in splintering the discussion and spurring a hostile-verbal-confrontation..

Not h8n' on ur Proword... Just saying.. Chillzies

Yea, I just said -Chillzies-

Offline Proword

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 17:58:59 »
But while they do type, their average WPM when typing will be a certain number.

On that logic, then I say I do bursts of up to 220-240 wpm from audio.

Joe

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 18:31:22 »
Average when typing a longer e-mail or similar.

Offline Proword

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 18:50:26 »
Linkbane was talking about bursts of typing. 

So was I. 

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:01:59 »

Speaking with personal experience right now, i just borrowed my riends Model M and i'd say i have to type slower, not because the switches are bad, but because sometimes it double registers or it doesn't at all. I must be typing about 55 WPM just because of that. He told me it's because an old board may Oxyde (It's a french term, i am not sure if it exists in english) which means the spring metal is wearing out, reducing the accuracy.

It's still a nice board but it seems to have its limitation (gotta agree it's a 20 years old keyboard, it shouldn't work perfect anyway)

So yeah maybe keyboards could be rated at different speed considering their pooling rates or their damages or other factors?

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:08:36 »
No, you're all still missing it.  Linkbane was talking about bursts of typing.  So you sit down and put your hands onto your keyboard and begin typing an e-mail.  Then you take your hands off and go for a cup of coffee.  In the interval while you typed the e-mail, that would be the words per typing time, or actual speed.  Averaged, because you might be doing that a number of times, to reply to 10 e-mails.

Nothing to do with age... nothing to do with justifying how many WPM an employer would be impressed with or not. 

And maintaining WPM through work day clearly doesn't mean people type for 8 hours straight without even having a bathroom break.  But while they do type, their average WPM when typing will be a certain number.

Thanks. This is what I meant, and I can see how it's certainly more understandable than my original phrasing.

Offline Proword

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:19:46 »
What I don't understand is how you reach your figure of an average speed.  Is it just a guess?  I certainly give my method of calculation for reaching my average speed of 23 wpm for 8 hours. 

Joe

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:22:40 »
What I don't understand is how you reach your figure of an average speed.  Is it just a guess?  I certainly give my method of calculation for reaching my average speed of 23 wpm for 8 hours. 

Joe

Isn't that special? I find my speed by using online tests, which usually work quite well. Otherwise if I truly feel like timing the amount of time it took for me to write something out, I could time myself to the second and have the word count divided by time in minutes. Nothing earth shattering in the slightest. Given that I do that very rarely, it's simple for me to determine my speed by feeling. I've done many, many tests so it's pretty ingrained that I can estimate my speed accurately within about 5 wpm.

Offline Proword

« Reply #100 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:33:09 »
So you just guess.  Thank you.  That's all I need to know.

Joe

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:35:05 »
So you just guess.  Thank you.  That's all I need to know.

Joe

:thumb:
Glad to know you got the final word, kiddo.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:55:12 »

So was I.

You were not.  You were talking about effective words per minute, taking into account long breaks of not typing (proofreading, coffee, whatever).  We're only talking about your maximum maintained typing speed for continued typing intervals, like typing a long e-mail or copying a chapter someone is dictating to you.

Please, this argument is getting very old and is really more about getting a last word in rather than bringing anything useful to the discussion of maximizing typing efficiency.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:58:29 by Photoelectric »

Offline Proword

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 19:59:25 »

So was I.

You were not.  You were talking about averaged words per minute, taking into account long breaks of not typing (proofreading, coffee, whatever).  We're only talking about your maximum maintained typing speed for continued typing intervals, like typing a long e-mail or copying a chapter someone is dictating to you.

But while they do type, their average WPM when typing will be a certain number.

On that logic, then I say I do bursts of up to 220-240 wpm from audio.

Joe

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:13:10 »

So was I.

You were not.  You were talking about effective words per minute, taking into account long breaks of not typing (proofreading, coffee, whatever).  We're only talking about your maximum maintained typing speed for continued typing intervals, like typing a long e-mail or copying a chapter someone is dictating to you.

Please, this argument is getting very old and is really more about getting a last word in rather than bringing anything useful to the discussion of maximizing typing efficiency.

Tp4.. gets last word...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:14:06 »
I was talking about all the posts that led up to the argument that's been taking up two pages now.  We can pick and choose at portions of what others type and use to frame every new argument to our advantage.  Best to let other people use this space now to post on topic.

Offline shaaniqbal

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:19:20 »

So was I.

Proword has contributed ideas useful to the maximisation of typing efficiency far more than most on this forum.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:24:35 »

Joe

Isn't that special? I find my speed by using online tests, which usually work quite well. Otherwise if I truly feel like timing the amount of time it took for me to write something out, I could time myself to the second and have the word count divided by time in minutes. Nothing earth shattering in the slightest. Given that I do that very rarely, it's simple for me to determine my speed by feeling. I've done many, many tests so it's pretty ingrained that I can estimate my speed accurately within about 5 wpm.

5 WPM? You might want to edit that.

I agree with the post though. You can test yourself for a minute, or write an essai, count your time, and divide the final word count with that time so you get an actual result, but that's not typing speed to it's max, it's thinking + creating + correcting. It's like Marathon versus sprint i guess lol

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:24:08 »

Joe

5 WPM? You might want to edit that.

I agree with the post though. You can test yourself for a minute, or write an essai, count your time, and divide the final word count with that time so you get an actual result, but that's not typing speed to it's max, it's thinking + creating + correcting. It's like Marathon versus sprint i guess lol

=P
Mostly in tests. Probably not so well typing essays, because I'm not focused on the speed so much haha.
Usually I can guess pretty closely, though.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:12:20 »
So are we still on type fast or you suck mode?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:12:00 »

You pulled that out of nowhere. Stop.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:18:56 »

But isn't that the horse that is being beaten? It's a genuine question.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:22:17 »

I don't like large animals.. they smell terrible...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:23:33 »

we had a drug test at work the other day and the testing people were talking about how at one place a guy tested and it smelled up the room, come to find out it was horse pee.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:30:14 »

we had a drug test at work the other day and the testing people were talking about how at one place a guy tested and it smelled up the room, come to find out it was horse pee.

wha..... so was this a ranch work place, or did the guy partake in recreational drugs and bought horse-pee on the internet for just the occasion

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 07:59:22 »
What the **** has this thread turned to?

Less stupid stuff more WPM tests results and posts.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 08:09:10 »

wha..... so was this a ranch work place, or did the guy partake in recreational drugs and bought horse-pee on the internet for just the occasion

No it was an industrial workplace, he was attempting to 'beat' the test..

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 08:14:21 »
I hit my max last night which was 105 WPM. I apparently average at 91 WPM. Not anything near as crazy as Sifo, but still not bad I think.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 08:17:38 »
I hit my max last night which was 105 WPM. I apparently average at 91 WPM. Not anything near as crazy as Sifo, but still not bad I think.

That's incredibly good! I capped 87 this morning, which is my current best.

Considering we have the same weapon, i'll train and come back.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 09:05:32 »
You're where I was about a month or two ago. I just ran speed tests every other day for like 30 minutes and it gradually goes up. My average was like 83-84, and now it's 91 so that's good enough for practical use I think.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 12:23:27 »
Going to repost because I've made some progress. I'm still not nearly as fast as Sifo on typeracer, but my 10FF tests tend to be the same or a little faster. My best is 158 as of a little while ago, and I usually can score one or 150s, depending on the day.
On typeracer, my average is somewhere around 120, with a best of 140 or so.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 13:39:47 »
Going to repost because I've made some progress. I'm still not nearly as fast as Sifo on typeracer, but my 10FF tests tend to be the same or a little faster. My best is 158 as of a little while ago, and I usually can score one or 150s, depending on the day.

I knew you couldn't be 5WPM LOL!

158 is super fast man!

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 14:51:36 »

I knew you couldn't be 5WPM LOL!

158 is super fast man!

LOL! I meant that I could guess within that margin, not that that was my speed.  :p

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 14:54:04 »
158 is super fast man!

It's pretty average.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:00:18 »
158 is super fast man!

It's pretty average.

If that's average, I'm on the slow wagon at my ~90WPM :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:01:09 »
158 is super fast man!

It's pretty average.

If that's average, I'm on the slow wagon at my ~90WPM :(

clearly you need to practice more :P

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:03:00 »
158 is super fast man!

It's pretty average.

>Current best 159

God damnit why are we so average JesusWasAZombie?
I love Elzy

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 16:09:46 »
158 is super fast man!

It's pretty average.

Definitely not trolling me with that signature.  :-X

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:00:07 »
Among all the keyboard speed-enthusiasts..  120-130wpm (Tp4's speed) is the average..  to go above it is dedication and elite status..

my speed is scrub speed...

the people < 120 are n00bs, because they've probably just started... 

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:01:34 »
Among all the keyboard speed-enthusiasts..  120-130wpm (Tp4's speed)
Show Image
is the average..  to go above it is dedication and elite status..

Don't worry tp, we're still friends.  :-*

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:05:03 »
Among all the keyboard speed-enthusiasts..  120-130wpm (Tp4's speed)
Show Image
is the average..  to go above it is dedication and elite status..

Don't worry tp, we're still friends.  :-*

just got this emoticon, i think it's a cat and a chicken?

/nohomo

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:06:22 »
That is a panda kissing Beaker

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
)
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:07:03 »
That is a panda kissing Beaker

what is a beaker. oh.. ok... yea.. but the beaker doesn't have a beak.. the emoticon chicken (i think) looks to be a beak

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 18:07:38 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 23:03:36 by hashbaz »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 19:21:18 »
^^ needs moar gif

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 23:04:41 »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 05:20:08 »
150 wpm seems so out of reach for me :(

I am struggling to even maintain ~90 wpm, I guess I'll have to improve one word at a time...