Author Topic: Hello GeekHack  (Read 3067 times)

Offline bitshifter1001

Hello GeekHack
« on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 16:30:39 »
Hello all,

Just joined and have started researching in an attempt to replace my current keyboard. Over the past 10 years I have exclusively been using the FingerWorks Touchstream LP. I'm not really sure if anyone here is familiar with the keyboard but it has been an excellent 10 years. Recently, the left side of my keyboard started dying and that is how I ended up here. Hopefully I can find something I can use for the next 10 years.

Cherry Reds and Topre seem to be interest me the most so far but its hard to tell since I haven't really used a keyboard with keys all that much. I can see that this is going to be time consuming as well as put a small dent in my savings. Ah, well.

Cheers!

----
For those who don't know what a Fingerworks Touchstream was: http://bit.ly/w0ixws

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Hello GeekHack
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:06:53 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:25:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Cherry MX switches are rated for 50 million keystrokes each, so almost any mechanical keyboard (with a couple of exceptions) should last you for at least 10 years.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:47:01 »
bienvenidos

Offline bitshifter1001

Hello GeekHack
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 21:46:34 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Cherry MX switches are rated for 50 million keystrokes each, so almost any mechanical keyboard (with a couple of exceptions) should last you for at least 10 years.

Thanks Rowdy. 50 million keystrokes? Wow, I didn't know that!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 01:25:47 »
Small dent in your savings? More like gaping hole.

Welcome to geekhack! = )
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline bitshifter1001

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 09:13:43 »
Small dent in your savings? More like gaping hole.

Welcome to geekhack! = )

Well, I bought my Touchstream for just over $300. I expected my next keyboard will be similarly priced so I have been saving my loose change!  ;D

Thanks for the Welcome.

Offline posthaste

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 10:36:52 »
If you're into Topre, a black hole will devour your wallet.  Welcome to Geekhack.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 02:52:41 »
If you're into Topre, a black hole will devour your wallet.  Welcome to Geekhack.

Or keycaps...I've spent more money on MX Keycaps than a couple topre boards would cost = p
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 23:28:05 »

Or keycaps...I've spent more money on MX Keycaps than a couple topre boards would cost = p

With some of the rarer Clacks skulls, it is possible to spend $200 or more on a single key cap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bitshifter1001

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 07:27:25 »

With some of the rarer Clacks skulls, it is possible to spend $200 or more on a single key cap.

When I originally started researching new keyboards, I wasn't aware that keycaps were an option, much less a popular one. I can say that I am intrigued with all the options and possibilities.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 10:49:25 »

Well, I mean, there-s something seriously wrong with you.. seriously.. ;D

Normal people like me turn out ok, only $175 so far.