Author Topic: Reduce Keycap friction  (Read 2326 times)

Offline rao2100

Reduce Keycap friction
« on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:39:33 »
I got a Desko set and it looks really nice =) (thanks tsangan)

Now due to the vintage nature of these caps some of them are shiny and cause friction when typing on them.

My question is how to reduce this friction. I have tried using talkum powder and kind of works.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks.
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Reduce Keycap friction
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 08:18:30 »
I would say clean them regularly.

I use powdered laundry detergent with a bit of Oxi-Clean or Biz added. A scant spoonful in a liter of hot water is plenty.

"Squeaky Clean" keys feel the best. Wash your hands often.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 21:27:08 »
I would say clean them regularly.

I use powdered laundry detergent with a bit of Oxi-Clean or Biz added. A scant spoonful in a liter of hot water is plenty.

"Squeaky Clean" keys feel the best. Wash your hands often.

Are you sure this isn't part of an OCD routine :D

Offline rao2100

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 03:22:18 »
Thanks for the tip fohat.digs.

I did clean them using detergent and then tooth paste. While the key cap looks squeaky clean, I still dont like the feel of it.
This is a mix pbt and abs ds caps set. Most of the caps that have this issue are the abs caps, only 1 pbt cap  have this issue.

For now I took out the 26 keys and using RA 2.0 instead until I can find a solution.

Will update with pics soon.

One solution would be to use the new pbt set that sherry is going to produce to fix the keys with issues.
| KMAC LE Vintage Blues | LZ-S Ergo Clears | Filco TKL MJ2 Ninja Reds | CM QFR - Blues | IBM Model M SSK 1991 |

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 03:21:38 »
There isn't really much you can do. I don't know how many people have experimented with sanding them rough again, but I reckon that would be one of the only ways of de-shining them. This is also why shiny key caps is often of low value compared to NIB keys.
alternatively you could maybe also use some adhesive film/foil with a rough surface, cut it to size and add it to the top of each key... or clear coat them in something that would give it a rough texture.
There is possibilities, but you will have to experiment.