Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 219194 times)

Offline Tennobanzai

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #800 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 15:11:42 »
lets keep this thread alive. here's the current state of the roadie.

close to being dialed, but a couple things to do:
- saddle angle needs to be leveled lol and need to finish my bike fit, but the fit is pretty good now
- the manual for speed bartape is pretty rare but kind of worn and doesn't match, i like the 3m godandfamous bartape so that's up next
- fork needs to be cut
- somehow i lost the battery cover on my power meter? need another one but its $15 for a piece of plastic
- i have to mount my replacement carbon cages for the cheaper forte carbon ones i have on the bike right now, although i haven't had complaints so far they don't look as slick as thinner matte cages

(Attachment Link)

If that frameset is a 54 and get tired of it. I would love to buy it off you :)

Offline JP

« Reply #801 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 15:37:38 »
lets keep this thread alive. here's the current state of the roadie.

close to being dialed, but a couple things to do:
- saddle angle needs to be leveled lol and need to finish my bike fit, but the fit is pretty good now
- the manual for speed bartape is pretty rare but kind of worn and doesn't match, i like the 3m godandfamous bartape so that's up next
- fork needs to be cut
- somehow i lost the battery cover on my power meter? need another one but its $15 for a piece of plastic
- i have to mount my replacement carbon cages for the cheaper forte carbon ones i have on the bike right now, although i haven't had complaints so far they don't look as slick as thinner matte cages

(Attachment Link)

Please tell me you've been riding it this summer  :)
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Tennobanzai

« Reply #802 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 17:20:42 »
Here's my bike. Canyon Endurace SLX. Only thing I changed was the stem/handlebar combo to a bigger size and a Brooks saddle

Offline JP

« Reply #803 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 18:46:58 »
Here's my bike. Canyon Endurace SLX. Only thing I changed was the stem/handlebar combo to a bigger size and a Brooks saddle

Show Image

Nice...looks like a well sorted privateer race rig / go fast bike.

I added a couple additions to mine. Go fast wheels and now matching water bottle cages as the previous ones I started losing the water bottles on bumpy roads so I've learned it can be good to have a couple styles depending on the water bottle choice for a given ride.

224991-0

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #804 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 13:09:20 »

Show Image

🤠 Endurace gang 🤠

Show Image

Nice...looks like a well sorted privateer race rig / go fast bike.

I added a couple additions to mine. Go fast wheels and now matching water bottle cages as the previous ones I started losing the water bottles on bumpy roads so I've learned it can be good to have a couple styles depending on the water bottle choice for a given ride.

(Attachment Link)

😎 Very color coordinated 😎

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline JP

« Reply #805 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 13:47:16 »

Got that gold chain I see  :thumb: Also very aggressive with that -17 stem. I'm gonna get a bike fit soon to see if I can optimize my current setup but don't wanna go too aggressive since I'm going more for a balance between endurance and speed.

Also with that smaller frame I imagine it must be difficult to get a bottle out while riding. You probably won't drop a bottle with those style of cages but here is a thought: check out the cages where you can take a bottle out sideways. I originally bought some Enve Carbon cages really cheap from China. They are perfect for smaller sized frames but have noticed with smaller diameter bottles they could possibly fall out on bumpy roads but work great once you find the perfect sized water bottle.

225374-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #806 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 15:14:20 »
On the straight, is a stiff rigid bike faster because it losses less power vs a bike with lots of shocks ?

Offline JP

« Reply #807 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 15:53:53 »
On the straight, is a stiff rigid bike faster because it losses less power vs a bike with lots of shocks ?

That is a loaded question and it depends! Many variables here and it depends on the riding you are doing. A full suspension mountain bike weighs more because of the extra hardware and will have some power loss depending on how it is adjusted based on the terrain. Some forks have a lockout which prevents suspension travel so you can ride faster on paved surfaces. The mountain bike with properly tuned-suspension will be faster off-road because you will have more comfort and control which allows you to go faster. On a paved road a stiffer bike frame generally is quicker or livelier but a bike frame (or specific places on a frame) can actually be too stiff for an individual rider so ideally this should be tuned to a rider based on pedal stroke and power output.  A stronger rider or example would likely benefit from having a stiffer frame but generally any gains are marginal.

Offline iri

« Reply #808 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 15:59:00 »
I've lost interest in bikes  :( For the last 6 months my Pinarello has been outside with its Brooks saddle open to the rain :(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sniping

« Reply #809 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 16:05:20 »

yeah, anything with shocks will always be slower than a rigid bike. some of the energy that you'll be putting down will just be sucked up with pumping the shock. all modern mid tier+ shocks will have a lockout feature, but still slower than rigid, and suspension is heavy. even between rigid frames, like with road bikes, the stiffness of the frame matters. racers always want stiffer frames that are less compliant because you minimize power loss when you're riding, and no one wants to ride a noodle-y bicycle anyway.

Offline JP

« Reply #810 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 16:14:52 »
I've lost interest in bikes  :( For the last 6 months my Pinarello has been outside with its Brooks saddle open to the rain :(

Dang, that's like a criminal offense. You should have sold it off.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #811 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 18:39:17 »

Got that gold chain I see  :thumb: Also very aggressive with that -17 stem. I'm gonna get a bike fit soon to see if I can optimize my current setup but don't wanna go too aggressive since I'm going more for a balance between endurance and speed.

Also with that smaller frame I imagine it must be difficult to get a bottle out while riding. You probably won't drop a bottle with those style of cages but here is a thought: check out the cages where you can take a bottle out sideways. I originally bought some Enve Carbon cages really cheap from China. They are perfect for smaller sized frames but have noticed with smaller diameter bottles they could possibly fall out on bumpy roads but work great once you find the perfect sized water bottle.

(Attachment Link)

😎 Gold gang 😎

Yeah Canyon uses a weird diameter on the fork so it was really hard to find any stem at the time that would fit aside from that -17/140mm stem.
I like to put more weight on my arms like riding a BMX bike so it worked out well for me.

Yeah I actually can't take the bottles out while riding 😛
Well I can but it's harder to put the bottles back in than take out so I don't.
I usually just stop and wedge them out lol, I'll look into these side exit cages.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #812 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 21:03:47 »
Busted the bike out for a ride to work (25 miles / 40km each way) last Friday!  Felt great to get back on it for a long ride - and very thankful to have easy access to a good trail/path the entire way.  :D  Sadly I think I pushed past my limits just a bit, because I was totally zonked upon returning home, and was mostly useless the following day too.  :)

Offline JP

« Reply #813 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 21:07:48 »
Busted the bike out for a ride to work (25 miles / 40km each way) last Friday!  Felt great to get back on it for a long ride - and very thankful to have easy access to a good trail/path the entire way.  :D  Sadly I think I pushed past my limits just a bit, because I was totally zonked upon returning home, and was mostly useless the following day too.  :))

Nice  :thumb:

Offline MMKB

« Reply #814 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 17:13:19 »
Busted the bike out for a ride to work (25 miles / 40km each way) last Friday!  Felt great to get back on it for a long ride - and very thankful to have easy access to a good trail/path the entire way.  :D  Sadly I think I pushed past my limits just a bit, because I was totally zonked upon returning home, and was mostly useless the following day too.  :))

:thumb:

Likewise, my first mountain bike ride finished at just 4 miles and I already felt like dying.

Offline iri

« Reply #815 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 06:36:12 »
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Don't worry, you'll get there.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #816 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 16:04:32 »
Did a climb I haven't rode in over a year and have gotten a lot quicker :cool:
Was famished this time too since it was near the end of my ride, might give it a go early on like the last time.

Offline JP

« Reply #817 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 20:09:26 »
Was famished this time too since it was near the end of my ride, might give it a go early on like the last time.

Show Image

I love that feeling. This past couple months I've smashed all of my PR's by a large margin. Unfortunately I been slacking the past couple weeks and have a century ride I'm not ready for one bit including lack of travel preparations. Also have a hilly century at the end of October so I can't wait to compare my previous efforts.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #818 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 22:27:53 »

Show Image

Nice!!  Seeing that sort of progress is such a great motivator.  :D 

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #819 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 14:11:11 »
Checked my bike chain for stretch today, couldn't quite fit the 1% end in all the way but 0.75% is easy so it's basically dead.  Was hoping to have decided what drivetrain I want before this happened but no such luck!  I guess if I'm planning on changing everything and only riding 6 miles a day due to illness I just keep riding until it snaps while doing research?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #820 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 14:48:26 »
Checked my bike chain for stretch today, couldn't quite fit the 1% end in all the way but 0.75% is easy so it's basically dead.  Was hoping to have decided what drivetrain I want before this happened but no such luck!  I guess if I'm planning on changing everything and only riding 6 miles a day due to illness I just keep riding until it snaps while doing research?

Old worn chain could eventually snap. Also it might wear out your drivetrain a bit faster. Whatever you do, never use an old chain with a new drivetrain if you upgrade.

Offline JP

« Reply #821 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 14:55:20 »
Getting my first steel gravel bike, a 2018 Raleigh Tamland 1. A solid bike that was marked down quite a bit since its an older model at the end of the riding season. Just gotta assemble it once it arrives.

227678-0

Offline iri

« Reply #822 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 15:09:18 »
Aka a great winter bike.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #823 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 15:36:08 »
Would make for a decent Hawthorne Trail or Gville townie bike.

Offline JP

« Reply #824 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 21:48:06 »
Would make for a decent Hawthorne Trail or Gville townie bike.

Yeah looking to do some gravel trails at some of our state parks as well as some other urban adventures. Current winter bike and basic commuting has been a single speed with skinny tires.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #825 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 05:19:11 »
Old worn chain could eventually snap. Also it might wear out your drivetrain a bit faster. Whatever you do, never use an old chain with a new drivetrain if you upgrade.
Yeah, looking at new BB, cranks/rings, chain and cassette so I guess the only thing to worry about is leg or frame damage if the chain whips off.  I've resisted doing part upgrades so new bits don't wear quicker due to old but between work, buying everything to go to a festival and being ill for a couple of months so not really capable of working it all out I've completely missed that.

Instead of it's perfected form I have a slightly squeaky bike with mismatched wheels (27.5x2.0 and 29x1.6) that could stop working at any time.  Just what you want in the rain...

p.s.  That Raleigh looks lovely, could have something to do with the colour :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #826 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 21:00:26 »
Getting my first steel gravel bike, a 2018 Raleigh Tamland 1. A solid bike that was marked down quite a bit since its an older model at the end of the riding season. Just gotta assemble it once it arrives.

(Attachment Link)

Nice one 😎

Been looking for a fixie or something with less gears for the upcoming rainy months so there's less maintenance on my Canyon.

Offline JP

« Reply #827 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 12:50:19 »
Been looking for a fixie or something with less gears for the upcoming rainy months so there's less maintenance on my Canyon.

As far as fixie/single speed you could find something locally for cheap or you could get a 6KU or spend a little bit more for something like an Aventon Cordoba which is essentially an upgraded 6KU.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #828 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 13:10:57 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice one 😎

i don't think having gears are that evil. especially if you're running 1x it's not much work. i feel like there's an obsession over ss/fixie culture but honestly i think they're kind of slow, and you don't want to be skidding around in the rain on a fixie. my commuter is a nashbar cx frame, 1x10 drivetrain with mismatched shimano derailleur and shifter, 32c commuter tires. i paid $150 for it and i've been using it for the last few years. i have spare rings, cassette and chain and i'm about to redo the drivetrain but it's really treated me well. i also have a kilo tt fixie that i literally never ride. if you're really into the gearless life i think ss or internally geared hubs are a good pick.

Offline iri

« Reply #829 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 14:29:30 »
If you're running an IGH, gears aren't much work at all.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #830 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 04:14:16 »
It's just a shame that all IGH designers think people want to go up hills - I ride the top six of a 13-25 cassette 95% of the time and never use the 25, always on the 50 chainring.  The only option for this seems to be a NuVinci/Enviolo but there are no drop bar shifters available and while the twister on the end of the bar might be OK with the lump at the end the cables would go the wrong way so that's not an option.

I wonder what marvels Shimano reserve for the Japanese market?  They have dynamo lights...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #831 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 05:29:28 »
It's just a shame that all IGH designers think people want to go up hills - I ride the top six of a 13-25 cassette 95% of the time and never use the 25, always on the 50 chainring.  The only option for this seems to be a NuVinci/Enviolo but there are no drop bar shifters available and while the twister on the end of the bar might be OK with the lump at the end the cables would go the wrong way so that's not an option.

I wonder what marvels Shimano reserve for the Japanese market?  They have dynamo lights...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Nexus-SG-C7000-5R-internal-5-speed/dp/B07V7JG5ZR

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #832 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 05:55:03 »
It's just a shame that all IGH designers think people want to go up hills...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Nexus-SG-C7000-5R-internal-5-speed/dp/B07V7JG5ZR
Thanks, I got excited (it's sold as e-bike so hadn't come across that one) but it only has five gears over a 263% range, I mainly use six gears over 146% and my whole cassette is only 192%.  I want the 'road racer' version which will never happen as IGH is heavy.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #833 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 16:07:07 »

As far as fixie/single speed you could find something locally for cheap or you could get a 6KU or spend a little bit more for something like an Aventon Cordoba which is essentially an upgraded 6KU.

That Aventon looks slick :cool:

I'll see if I can put mudguards on either 🤨

Those seem pretty well priced too, the only fixed gears I know are too expensive since I only see them when I'm at the velodrome with their Zipp discs lol.

Offline JP

« Reply #834 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 16:45:39 »
That Aventon looks slick :cool:

I'll see if I can put mudguards on either 🤨

Those seem pretty well priced too, the only fixed gears I know are too expensive since I only see them when I'm at the velodrome with their Zipp discs lol.

Mudguard options are rather limited but you can get clip on mudguards. I have them on mine but it was a bit of trouble finding ones that worked. A lot of local messengers all have cheap fixed gear bikes. If you get something like this make sure you install brakes and if just riding single speed rather than fixed then also install a rear brake. These bikes can be dangerous. Out of the box though they are like 85% assembled.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #835 on: Sat, 12 October 2019, 10:11:44 »
Has anyone used a backpack-pannier?  I need a new bag and as it's mainly used for commuting these seem like a good option but I can't help thinking it's a bad idea as having weight hanging off one side will affect the handling.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #836 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 15:12:04 »
Has anyone used a backpack-pannier?  I need a new bag and as it's mainly used for commuting these seem like a good option but I can't help thinking it's a bad idea as having weight hanging off one side will affect the handling.

It's may not be the best idea but it depends on how much weight you are talking. Too much weight on one side will affect the handling. Also it's probably best to avoid taking corners fast on loose gravel if you have a weight imbalance which you may not be used to riding with. You can test the handling by progressively adding more weight. If the bike will be too imbalanced you should either load the other side, wear the backpack on your back, or put the weight somewhere else such as front or rear rack.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 October 2019, 15:13:53 by JP »

Offline iri

« Reply #837 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 15:42:12 »
(or inside the front triangle)

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #838 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 15:44:34 »
Thanks JP, I like cycling as common sense seems to apply where experience is lacking.  I don't have a rack and don't want to buy one plus a bag only to find it doesn't work out though I'm not talking lots of weight - usually I'm ony carrying my lunch and a litre of drink, dry socks and a coat (leave home lunchtime, head home 10pm)

I've also been looking at jumbo saddle bags - better for balance and easy to remove but not so good off the bike, plus they block the seatpost and rack area so a rear light become an issue.

Or rack top bags which have shoulder straps and need a rack which lights could mount on, but they are a bit of a faff to take on and off...

I think trying to convince a coat to stay at the top/front of one of them might be a bit of a challenge :)) There are small front ones but they look narrow and generally tiny, though can't say I've looked into these too hard.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 October 2019, 15:50:05 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sniping

« Reply #839 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 16:11:22 »
Thanks JP, I like cycling as common sense seems to apply where experience is lacking.  I don't have a rack and don't want to buy one plus a bag only to find it doesn't work out though I'm not talking lots of weight - usually I'm ony carrying my lunch and a litre of drink, dry socks and a coat (leave home lunchtime, head home 10pm)

I've also been looking at jumbo saddle bags - better for balance and easy to remove but not so good off the bike, plus they block the seatpost and rack area so a rear light become an issue.

Or rack top bags which have shoulder straps and need a rack which lights could mount on, but they are a bit of a faff to take on and off...

I think trying to convince a coat to stay at the top/front of one of them might be a bit of a challenge :)) There are small front ones but they look narrow and generally tiny, though can't say I've looked into these too hard.

I think the large saddle bag or a handlebar bag is the best option, they're the easiest to use and look the cleanest too. You can find a bag where you can fit a light on the back of the bag, or attach the light to the seatstay.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #840 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 17:28:26 »
Lights on the seatstay, hadn't thought of that.  It's a pretty skinny tube at a steep angle so don't think my current rubber mounted light would stay there but a proper clamp would.  Thanks for adding to the confusion!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #841 on: Sun, 13 October 2019, 17:53:52 »
Lights on the seatstay, hadn't thought of that.  It's a pretty skinny tube at a steep angle so don't think my current rubber mounted light would stay there but a proper clamp would.  Thanks for adding to the confusion!

I like PDW's products but I'm definitely not into serious bike packing by any means. Maybe this might give you some inspiration. I personally do not like any weight attached to my handlebars. I tried the PDW takeout basket but just decided to go with a medium sized backpack which has enough space for a light fall/spring jacket, tools, a couple beers, and other misc. gear.

https://ridepdw.com/collections/cargo-and-bags

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #842 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 16:58:08 »
Coincidence is a strange thing. Today after reconsidering switching to 1x gears I managed to snap my front derailleur clean off.  How?  My bike was wedged on a train with the back wheel in a corner and the front in a slot made for the job, I simply lifted the back wheel maybe six inches off the floor to release it and heard a 'snick' and there it was hanging off.  I really don't understand how when I'm 99% sure nothing touched it!

Luckily I didn't accept the first chain offererd by my LBS recently (it was stretched but not as badly as I thought so everything else was OK) and instead got one with the reusable SRAM link so was only a short delay while I removed it. Also perhaps lucky it didn't snap while riding?!

So, 1xIGH, 1X10, buy a new derailleur or just ride as-is - 9 speed 50x13-25?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JP

« Reply #843 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 19:45:50 »
Coincidence is a strange thing. Today after reconsidering switching to 1x gears I managed to snap my front derailleur clean off.  How?  My bike was wedged on a train with the back wheel in a corner and the front in a slot made for the job, I simply lifted the back wheel maybe six inches off the floor to release it and heard a 'snick' and there it was hanging off.  I really don't understand how when I'm 99% sure nothing touched it!

Luckily I didn't accept the first chain offererd by my LBS recently (it was stretched but not as badly as I thought so everything else was OK) and instead got one with the reusable SRAM link so was only a short delay while I removed it. Also perhaps lucky it didn't snap while riding?!

So, 1xIGH, 1X10, buy a new derailleur or just ride as-is - 9 speed 50x13-25?

Do you ride up any steep hills? All depends on what kind of riding you are doing. With your current setup you are set forever if all you do is ride on flat paved roads. I would probably only do a 1x setup if you intend to turn this bike into a gravel rat.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #844 on: Thu, 17 October 2019, 20:26:03 »
Do you ride up any steep hills? All depends on what kind of riding you are doing. With your current setup you are set forever if all you do is ride on flat paved roads. I would probably only do a 1x setup if you intend to turn this bike into a gravel rat.
My commute is mainly along the canal so the only 'hills' are bridges every mile or so, one bit of road which can easily be powered up and one short really steep bit of foot/cycle path with no option to carry any speed that I can get up in 50x21.  I'm still not sure what else I'm going to do on the bike as I was crippled last summer and ill this!  I dodged the bad weather (or rather the endless muddy puddle that for the rest of the year is a canal path) on the train last winter and was thinking I could go on the road this year and that's quite quite hilly, but now I'm back to zero fitness that will probably be put off until next year.  Assuming they can fix me that is.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline atarione

« Reply #845 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 13:27:31 »
Riding Weather here in SoCal is rather perfect at the moment high 60s low 70s (during the day) .. had rained a few days ago so the trail conditions are awesome (now that mud has gone away that is)..  Out yesterday on 10~mile mtb ride w/ my Trance Advanced 2

231885-0

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #846 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 15:14:13 »
Riding Weather here in SoCal is rather perfect at the moment high 60s low 70s (during the day) .. had rained a few days ago so the trail conditions are awesome (now that mud has gone away that is)..  Out yesterday on 10~mile mtb ride w/ my Trance Advanced 2

(Attachment Link)

Was that 1/2 a mile in just after leaving the road?  Looks way too clean...

Nice bike though :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sniping

« Reply #847 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 15:35:58 »
can't wait to get on the bike again, I've been putting off riding for several weeks now and I'm not happy about it. looking to do some good miles in the next month.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #848 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:40:39 »
can't wait to get on the bike again, I've been putting off riding for several weeks now and I'm not happy about it. looking to do some good miles in the next month.

Same :confused:

Just picked up some ZIPP 454 NSW + GP5K and I wanna try them out before I go to Dubai but it's been raining like crazy and want them to be fresh when I land there.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #849 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 16:00:53 »

Same :confused:

Just picked up some ZIPP 454 NSW + GP5K and I wanna try them out before I go to Dubai but it's been raining like crazy and want them to be fresh when I land there.

Geez you're dropping some fat stacks on your bike, you'll have to take some pics with the wheels on your bike