Author Topic: Suggestions for desk/workstation with correct keyboard height  (Read 6773 times)

Offline engicoder

Suggestions for desk/workstation with correct keyboard height
« on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 08:31:43 »
I have been having trouble with upper back and shoulder pain lately and a friend suggested that having my keyboard on top of a normal height table was the problem. A little research indicates that for my height (6') my hands should be at about 27" above the floor with elbows at 90 degrees. Right now I am at about 31. Can anyone suggest a desk/workstation that is reasonably priced and allows for proper keyboard height. Note: I would rather not use a keyboard tray.

Ben

Offline adder

Re: Suggestions for desk/workstation with correct keyboard height
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 08:52:12 »
As I don't like keyboard trays too, my solution used the inverse logic: Instead of bringing the desk down, I brought the chair up :)

Offline engicoder

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 08:58:29 »
 ;D I guess that works....unfortunately, my chair is already all the way up. Maybe I need a new chair too. :-X

Offline kod

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 10:24:18 »
If you're sitting, I don't think it's possible to get correct keyboard height without a tray (or perhaps a REALLY thin height-adjustable desk).

There's less than an inch of clearance between the top of my knees and the bottom of my keyboard tray, and my tray is maybe 3/8" thick.  That'd be really hard to do with a desk.

Offline Proword

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 22:34:41 »
I has having trouble with my lower back, exacerbated by surgery to my stomach, so I approached it this way.

I bought a saddle chair

This give me a huge range of height adjustment - I'm 179 centimetres tall, and when the seat is at its fullest height I am almost standing upright.  At its lowest height I can comfortably use a standard desk with a keyboard tray.  The seat can be tilted nose up or down as well as height adjusted.

To give me the flexibility for the full range I purchased two clamp-on monitor stands.  I used one stand with two arms.  To clamp onto the desk I had to remove the standard keyboard tray, which I then recycled onto the lower monitor arm.  The arm has a full range of tilting in three axes.

I then put an El Cheapo plastic keyboard tray under the desk so I could use my standard typing chair.

Joe

On Edit: Another advantage of this set up is that both the screen and the keyboard can be swung around to the side, giving access to the desk top (if it wasn't for all the other stuff there  :p)
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2014, 22:41:24 by Proword »
Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:23:56 »
What don't you like about keyboard trays?  I love mine, it gets the keyboard at just the right level. I tried an adjustable desk, but there was an extra inch or two between where I wanted my keyboard and what the desk allowed because of clearance issues. I use a Kinesis 30" keyboard tray and an IKEA Galant desk. If you are even thinking of getting a KB tray don't get this desk. The supports on the bottom make it a struggle to install one. The IKEA desk is the least expensive adjustable desk I could find. It's decent, but it wobbles. Also, to get the desk at the right height, I had to jack up up my monitor by putting it on top of several books.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:25:57 »
@Proword
Interesting. That chair would allow for more height. Having never tried one, I have to ask how comfortable it is. I have arthritic knees and hips, so I wonder if it would stress them

@SonOfSonOfSonOfSonOfSonOfSpock

I dislike the extra distance they create between you and the desk. I also like to use pencil and paper and a tray gets in the way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 13:28:01 by engicoder »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 14:57:46 »
I has having trouble with my lower back, exacerbated by surgery to my stomach, so I approached it this way.

I bought a saddle chair

Show Image

This give me a huge range of height adjustment - I'm 179 centimetres tall, and when the seat is at its fullest height I am almost standing upright.  At its lowest height I can comfortably use a standard desk with a keyboard tray.  The seat can be tilted nose up or down as well as height adjusted.

Show Image

To give me the flexibility for the full range I purchased two clamp-on monitor stands.  I used one stand with two arms.  To clamp onto the desk I had to remove the standard keyboard tray, which I then recycled onto the lower monitor arm.  The arm has a full range of tilting in three axes.

Show Image

Show Image

I then put an El Cheapo plastic keyboard tray under the desk so I could use my standard typing chair.

Joe

On Edit: Another advantage of this set up is that both the screen and the keyboard can be swung around to the side, giving access to the desk top (if it wasn't for all the other stuff there  :p)

hrmmm....

This looks good.. but what happens when your back gets tired.... ?

realistically how long can people sit so upright... I can't even stand for more than an hour.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 15:03:19 »
I ran across this page:

http://www.backdesigns.com/Saddle-tolerance-Getting-used-to-a-saddle-seat-W24.aspx:

which basically says it takes a while for your muscles adjust to holding you up, so I would expect some fatigue.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 15:26:24 »
I ran across this page:

http://www.backdesigns.com/Saddle-tolerance-Getting-used-to-a-saddle-seat-W24.aspx:

which basically says it takes a while for your muscles adjust to holding you up, so I would expect some fatigue.

hmmmmmm...  so... back training eh?...

repetitive stress injury is typically due to "repetitive stress"...  couldn't this apply to standing/ sitting very straight as well?

if we're at our desks only say 1-2 hours.. perhaps the muscles are adequate..

but if we put in 10-15 hours at our desks (some of us)...    Is that realistically "trainable" ?

Offline Proword

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 18:19:52 »
I'm nearly always at my computer by 8:30 in the morning, and don't leave until perhaps 8:00 in the evening, although I usually don't stay seated for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.  Because I'm using an audio transcribing set up I'm always using my left foot for the playback pedal, so nearly all my weight is on the saddle.  I considered the saddle chair because I found that riding my BMW I was practically pain-free because of the seat design.

I won't go so far as to say that the saddle seat has "fixed" my back problem, but it's certainly been a while since the back has given me any trouble.

Because of the amount of adjustability in the whole set up, any discomfort can rectified very easily and quickly, but I stress that I am seldom seated for more than 10 minutes at a time, whether I'm in the saddle, or in my standard typing chair.

Without wanting to get too technical, the human spine has a set of natural curves which the position in the saddle seems to replicate or work with.

Personally, I'm quite comfortable with the saddle, but each individual must make their own decisions.

Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 20:41:40 »
my old place (i just moved) had this setup

2x
ergotron monitor wall mounts
ergotron keyboard wall mount arm

and an ergo chair.

couple this with an ottoman and to me it was super adjustable, yea i didn't have a "desk" anymore but why would i? i don't need to put anything on my computer desk, putting drinks near your computer is a bad habbit and i have a super tower (it's 1 1/2 the size of a full tower) so i can place odds and ends on there like my phone/ pencil sharpener.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:39:10 »
Not being static is the ONE item all ergo ideas/setups/relief have in common. Standing may/may not be the best thing overall, but sitting, then standing, then sitting, taking a walk, shifting ones self into different positions seems to be the easiest and most pleasant way of changing stress patterns on certain areas of the body.

Could use these to raise/lower any desk set up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330577681347?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120501209196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's in the back of my mind as part of my "ULTIMATE FANTASY (1)DESK-(2)LAYOUT/RESEARCH-(3)TECHBENCH-(4)SHOP OFFICE" future 2 room office/work/hobby/build set up.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:42:10 by Input Nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline engicoder

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 23:22:46 »
@Proword - Thanks for suggesting the saddle chair/stool. I went ahead and ordered one and will give it a try. My chair needed replacing anyway. I ordered this one

http://www.amazon.com/HERMES-Barber-Styling-equipment-Hydraulic/dp/B009TQUXEO

I was convinced when I read about it forcing tone in postural muscle group (aka core) as I need work there anyway, so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone.
I will report back with a few progress reports.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 07:05:47 »
While you're waiting for the chair to arrive, you could try typing with the keyboard on your lap.  It won't help if you can't touch type though.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0