Author Topic: Typing "properly"  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Shikarikato

Typing "properly"
« on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 23:39:03 »
This thread has nothing pertaining to your arm being angled or your wrists being stuck in an improper position while typing, but with which fingers you use to type.
When I first started to learn to type I didn't get any formal teaching of how to type, because everyone who I live with is garbage at typing. I sit by a computer for a long time playing video games, doing homework, typing for fun, etc. Naturally I found it difficult to play some games when I had to constantly look down to figure out which key to press. Also whenever I was messaging someone my neck didn't like the constant looking up and down. My logical decision was to force myself to suffer by missing about every single key by having my keyboard under my desk on a keyboard stand in order to learn where the keys are. Today I can type about 100-130wpm depending on how my typing style is at the time, but instead of using home row and 10 fingers I use the "whatever" row, and I only use about 6 fingers. I don't know how I got into the habit of using my right hand index finger for space bar, but that's how it is for me. I've tried home row, but it doesn't feel right and I don't like typing quite slow and my accuracy is horrendous.
Aside from the horrendous back story, is there anything you guys suggest on typing properly? I think eventually that I'll start developing issues in my right hand if I keep it up. Should I just suck it up and suffer some more by learning to type properly?

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

Re: Typing "properly"
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:50:04 »
You could designate a small period of each day to "proper typing time" and the rest of the time use your old technique. Then you could slowly make adjustments instead of doing everything at once. Maybe break it up by doing one small adjustment, mastering that, then add more.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:03:25 »
For what it’s worth, “standard” technique on a standard QWERTY-layout, flat, non-split, horizontally staggered keyboard is pretty bad in many ways. It’s possible that your 6 finger method is just as ergonomic. (The ideal method on a standard keyboard probably wouldn’t have the fingers start on the standard home row.)

Though the forefinger for spacebar is probably pretty slow/could be unergonomic.

What do you do for shifted characters?

Note: one of the fastest typists in the world, who e.g. won this contest
never learned the standard technique, and has his own method.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:05:01 by jacobolus »

Offline hoggy

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:15:35 »
This sounds like the ideal time to swap to another layout.  Why not take a look at colemak or dvorak?  I swapped to dvorak some years ago - it's much more comfortable than qwerty.

I'm afraid that when learning to touch type, accuracy is more important than speed, and it takes time to build the muscle memory.

To be fair, I've never come across a hunt and peck typer with rsi - I'm guessing those with a sore neck are more common.

Good luck.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 02:26:24 »
I normally don't use shifted characters and for the most part I've got them down, but sometimes I'm just doing a guess and check until I get them right.
I remember Sean Wrona explaining his typing style. I believe he said he just uses whatever finger that is there for the key and that's about what I do except I just use 6 fingers as opposed to however many hes using.
Maybe I'm just thinking too much of it, and that I should probably look into getting a keyboard that is more appropriate for ergonomics rather than a typing style.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 06:29:14 »
a column style keyboard would probably benefit you most.

it REALLY forces you to learn properly, much like how you tried to teach yourself, a column keyboard makes it so that it's pretty difficult to cheat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 11:05:43 »
There is also another path....

It's rare that even programmers "REQUIRE" high wpm.. or continuous use of the KB...

So ultimately, if you just cut out all the unnecessary computer time in your life... You would come out with significant reduction of "typing - stress - disorder"..

since you are already proficient with what you got...  I really don't see the point, unless it is your intention to DO MORE with the computer... 

IF  that is the case,,   then Egdx...

Relearn how to type..  blank caps to help you not cheat.

Offline NateS

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 06:54:52 »
I also use the "whatever" method. It works great, I'm happy with it. I don't think I could change after 22 years. I don't think it is worth it anyway.

I've been programming since age 11. When I was younger I would think about what I wanted to do to edit some code, then I would think through the shortest key combinations to do it. After a while I got really fast. I use arrow keys, ctrl, shift, home, end. Also I love ctrl+shift copy, shift+insert paste, shift+delete cut. My right hand does all that.

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 08:16:27 »
The only typing quirk I have is that I never use the right shift key.  I'm ambidextrous with the space bar, though, and have decided to spend 2014 hitting it with my left thumb in order to even out key shine... I like keeping my New Year's resolutions realistic.

... instead of using home row and 10 fingers I use the "whatever" row, and I only use about 6 fingers. I don't know how I got into the habit of using my right hand index finger for space bar, but that's how it is for me.

That sounds awesome.  You should make a video.

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 18:23:40 »
Sometimes I use pinky for shift so I guess it's 7, but still 3 less than the standard 10 that people normally use. If I post a video with me typing I might get a load of stink eyes from people who can type more ergonomically.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 18:27:53 »

To be fair, I've never come across a hunt and peck typer with rsi - I'm guessing those with a sore neck are more common.

Good luck.
What you said is true. I hunt and peck although with so much familiarity with the keyboard, I do not need to hunt now, but I still peck with just a few fingers. I never had any RSI on the finger/hand part. I have a desk bound job so I use the computer for 8-9 hours a day. In a way I am glad I don't have RSI even though my typing style is far from ideal.

Offline Gid

• ... morning already?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 07:28:50 »
If I post a video with me typing I might get a load of stink eyes from people who can type more ergonomically.
Pssh, let 'em.  Some people do.  Others, teach... Still others, *****.  If you can do 130 wpm, nobody can call you a bad typist.  I don't care if you type with your nose.

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 12:15:50 »
Shikarikato,

After 30 years of typing my own way, I decided to learn how to do it properly. Researching that led me to this forum, and then I just bit the bullet, switched to the Colemak layout, bought a Kinesis Advantage, and havent looked back.

My old way of typing was fast and accurate, but not ergonomic. Now I can touch type, and my shoulders and wrists are much more relaxed when I type. And my fingers do a lot less travelling on the keyboard.

So I think it's really worth doing it, and recommend giving it a try. I wish I had done it sooner! The first few weeks I practiced in the evenings on the online colemak tutors. I kept a normal keyboard attached in case I needed to type an email or document fast for work, but tried to use the Kinesis with Colemak for everything else.
Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline aref

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 10:18:24 »
I recently changed the way I hold my hands over the keyboard and found it makes a significant difference for me. I place my keyboard close to the edge of my computer table and 'float' my hands over the keyboard. This may be the proper way to type, going back to typewriter days. I find my typing is more accurate and my speed has improved. I tried several wrist rests, but they didn't make typing more comfortable or more efficient.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 13:53:25 »
For what it’s worth, “standard” technique on a standard QWERTY-layout, flat, non-split, horizontally staggered keyboard is pretty bad in many ways. It’s possible that your 6 finger method is just as ergonomic. (The ideal method on a standard keyboard probably wouldn’t have the fingers start on the standard home row.)

Though the forefinger for spacebar is probably pretty slow/could be unergonomic.

This is very good advice. Using homerow actually is detrimental in QWERTY; it's been shown that using AWEF JIOP is better because the upper row is actually used more than homerow. If you switch to a modern layout designed to not trip you up, homerow method is the best.

Now I type at 140-160 wpm, and honestly the best way to type is relaxed. Too many mistakes are made if you force your fingers; just focus on what you want to type and don't make yourself go faster; you'll practice and get to your fastest accurate speed naturally, which of course will improve with practice. Also with QWERTY, it's physically the best to use the right thumb for spacebar, because you'll have to shift your hand from keys the least. For Dvorak, it's the left spacebar, because the left hand pretty much stays still.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 13:56:23 »

This is very good advice. Using homerow actually is detrimental in QWERTY; it's been shown that using AWEF JIOP is better because the upper row is actually used more than homerow. If you switch to a modern layout designed to not trip you up, homerow method is the best.

Now I type at 140-160 wpm, and honestly the best way to type is relaxed. Too many mistakes are made if you force your fingers; just focus on what you want to type and don't make yourself go faster; you'll practice and get to your fastest accurate speed naturally, which of course will improve with practice. Also with QWERTY, it's physically the best to use the right thumb for spacebar, because you'll have to shift your hand from keys the least. For Dvorak, it's the left spacebar, because the left hand pretty much stays still.

Could you make a video to demonstrate this relaxed typing at 140-160 WPM? I have a hard time visualizing it.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:02:52 »

Could you make a video to demonstrate this relaxed typing at 140-160 WPM? I have a hard time visualizing it.

I'll try to do so within the next couple of days, but it might be a while because I'm going to be out for the weekend and school otherwise.
But essentially the concept is that your muscle memory for typing is good enough that mentally you shouldn't be thinking about going fast, you should just be executing the actions.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:17:20 »
I wonder if there are any keyboard layouts designed assuming a standard keyboard but with awef and kop' as the "home row" – in other words, allowing a natural wrist angle and starting with the hands in a relatively neutral position, and then moving common letters to where they're easiest to hit from that position [e.g. putting letters on the number row, &c.]. This would still be non-ideal compared to a vertically staggered, split, angled, tented keyboard, but it might be faster/easier than qwerty.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:11:34 »
I wonder if there are any keyboard layouts designed assuming a standard keyboard but with awef and kop' as the "home row" – in other words, allowing a natural wrist angle and starting with the hands in a relatively neutral position, and then moving common letters to where they're easiest to hit from that position [e.g. putting letters on the number row, &c.]. This would still be non-ideal compared to a vertically staggered, split, angled, tented keyboard, but it might be faster/easier than qwerty.

That's the problem, AWEF JIOP isn't a natural hand position, it only feels natural because QWERTY is a flawed layout.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:21:29 »

I'll try to do so within the next couple of days, but it might be a while because I'm going to be out for the weekend and school otherwise.
But essentially the concept is that your muscle memory for typing is good enough that mentally you shouldn't be thinking about going fast, you should just be executing the actions.

Wouldn't it take like.. a couple minutes at most? I mean, aren't you just sitting on GH anyways?

I'm interested as well.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:35:01 »

Wouldn't it take like.. a couple minutes at most? I mean, aren't you just sitting on GH anyways?

I'm interested as well.

I don't have something for recording, but I could get someone to record me, I suppose. At the moment, I'm in school with a lot of free time today in particular. Also please go back to posting images when people are conversing.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:38:39 »
I don't have something for recording, but I could get someone to record me, I suppose. At the moment, I'm in school with a lot of free time today in particular.

That would be great! Thanks.

Offline Tony

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 21:52:54 »
On Qwerty layout, two most frequent keys (E and T) are not on the home row (toprow also has I and O), so standard typing positions are not optimal. You better use whatever typing positions you feel best. Most people put their fingers ready on E,T, and I,O.

On alternative layouts like Colemak/Dvorak, top frequent keys (ARSTDHNEIO) are put on the home row, so standard typing positions are the best to start with.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm