Author Topic: Car died on the way to buy new battery.  (Read 5245 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Car died on the way to buy new battery.
« on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 14:26:38 »

What wonderful luck.

Car died on the way to sears.  Walked ~3 miles back and forth lugging a heavy ass car battery.

Good thing was able to pull into a temporary construction parking.

Why can't the car drive without a battery.. this is so dumb.. it started spazzing out click click click...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Car died on the way to buy new battery.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 14:29:00 »
Some cars can be drived with a dead battery.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 14:37:55 »

I don' even think it were fully dead, measures 12v. check the alternator, voltage rise/falls with rev >13v so that's working fine.

Hrrrm... Welp If this car killz tp4 this week, sigh.. wuz a gud' run.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 14:55:43 »
Pretty much anything that's injected will not do it unless the vehicle was specifically designed to be able to do so, like maybe Land Rover.

Edit: Apparently quite a few will however it's very hard on the electronics as the battery acts as a buffer to dampen spikes and lows from the alternator. Which is why many do not allow it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 November 2019, 14:59:38 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 15:47:05 »
Pretty much anything that's injected will not do it unless the vehicle was specifically designed to be able to do so, like maybe Land Rover.

Edit: Apparently quite a few will however it's very hard on the electronics as the battery acts as a buffer to dampen spikes and lows from the alternator. Which is why many do not allow it.

That is a sound explanation.  :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 16:57:28 »
I had that happen to me one time a few decades ago.  Thought it was the battery.  Put in new battery, all good.  Then car died again.  Was the alternator. Battery no chargey.  Car no go.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 16:59:51 »
I had that happen to me one time a few decades ago.  Thought it was the battery.  Put in new battery, all good.  Then car died again.  Was the alternator. Battery no chargey.  Car no go.

I'm suspecting this as well.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 19:13:26 »

I have to replace the alternator to one of my older cars last year. It was very expensive. Hope yours is not.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 20:22:32 »

I have to replace the alternator to one of my older cars last year. It was very expensive. Hope yours is not.

It's like $200,  won't killz me, but yea, not happy about it. That's 1 less SSD 4 Tp.

Although I don't understand how the cables work, Do I have to buy all new cables too ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 20:47:09 »
Theoretically, cables should last almost indefinitely, but they can get eaten up by corrosion, especially at the terminal connector.

At the minimum, clean them up of corrosion as well as you can to make good contact.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 21:58:22 »
Starter motors can also be the cause if your battery is fine. You may hear a click or no cranking. You can sometimes get it to work by tapping it if you are in a bind but be careful sticking your hands in the engine bay.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 22:03:49 »
f

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 03:04:30 »
It's like $200,  won't killz me, but yea, not happy about it. That's 1 less SSD 4 Tp.

Although I don't understand how the cables work, Do I have to buy all new cables too ?
No you don't need cables but while the alternator isn't expensive the labor can be.

Depending on the vehicle the labor can be insane ($1500+) and it may or may not be something you can do at home.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 05:39:36 »
Show Image

What wonderful luck.

Car died on the way to sears.  Walked ~3 miles back and forth lugging a heavy ass car battery.

Good thing was able to pull into a temporary construction parking.

Why can't the car drive without a battery.. this is so dumb.. it started spazzing out click click click...

Where the F do you live TP? I haven't heard of a open & operating Sears in years now! What happened though? It's been years since I had a battery go bad on me, but I remember cars being able to drive fine without a battery once they've been started. Maybe that's not true anymore thanks to all the electronics in our cars nowadays?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 08:50:59 »

Where the F do you live TP?

New Jersey - a land out of time, a place where you don't pump your own gas at the station.

I remember, years ago, having a blowout on the interstate, about noon on - NEW YEARS DAY - in New Jersey and at the next exit there was a Sears with an auto shop open. They sold me a tire and installed it in under an hour!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 08:53:01 »

New Jersey - a land out of time, a place where you don't pump your own gas at the station.

I remember, years ago, having a blowout on the interstate, about noon on - NEW YEARS DAY - in New Jersey and at the next exit there was a Sears with an auto shop open. They sold me a tire and installed it in under an hour!

ALSO RADIATION..  we're peak probability for the next chernobyl. Oldest reactor in the country,  SAME GE Mark 1 that blew up in Fukushima.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 11:27:23 »

ALSO RADIATION..  we're peak probability for the next chernobyl. Oldest reactor in the country,  SAME GE Mark 1 that blew up in Fukushima.

I don't see any snow here despite it being canada...

Offline Sniping

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 20:25:35 »
I was about to say alternator as well, but looks like it's already been suggested. It could also be the battery cables. I had an electrical issue in the old miata I had and it turned out to be the old frayed cables, not the battery or alternator.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 22:13:50 »

:)) :)) :)) :)) Seriously though, I do know what you mean. I was in NJ a few times for work some yrs back & got yelled at for trying to pump gas myself. Some kinda weird law that customers can't pump if I remember correctly. Anyways Sears in the clutch there with your situation! I always did like Sears back in the day & even bought Craftsman tools exclusively for awhile after I started as a carpenter. Unfortunately shortly after that they stopped giving lifetime warranties on most tools (especially power tools), then started shutting down locations left & right in my area. Has to be a good 15 yrs or more since I was in one. That's why I was shocked to hear Tp mention them, LOL!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 11:58:01 »
So, how did your car go? is it alright now?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 19:46:52 »
I haven't heard of a open & operating Sears in years now!
There's quite a lot still open, but I hear they are closing a bunch more now.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Kavik

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 09:46:41 »

There was still one in the mall in my city last Christmas. Everything was on clearance, so I don't know if it's still around. I remember finding rare-ish video games and/or good deals on them a couple times at Sears (probably because no one thinks to buy them there and they need to get rid of them).

Time to get the Cybertruck, TP. That way the battery is even more expensive to replace.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 11:15:27 »

Naw my local Sears closed down

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 12:59:39 »
tp4 needs a stick shift

pop start that bad boy
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches