Author Topic: Bricked Board  (Read 3547 times)

Offline swissdane23

Bricked Board
« on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 04:53:38 »
I was trying to update my Ganss GK87. The goddamn firmware updater program thing was in Chinese. But the instructions via MS Word pictures showed that i should press the left button first, then the middle one. So I pressed the left button, then all the lights(underglow and the keycap Leds) went out on my board. No notification that the update was happening. i gave it a minute then unplugged it and replugged it. Now its just sitting there being a brick. When i plug it in it goes "installing device" and when i check my USB connected devices and its under "Unspecified Devices". Is there a way to fix this? Or is it a brick forever?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: Bricked Board
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 05:37:16 »
If there's a SPI jumper on the board you can try and reflash with a programmer.
Look on your board for a group of 6 or 10 plated holes close to each other marked MISO, MOSI, RST, SCK and so on.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 09:30:12 »
I would say to try a different computer, something running a different OS than windows and see if that works. If not, it's probably bricked and using the above mentioned method will be tricky.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 09:32:08 »
Psh.

That's not a bricked board.

This is a bricked board:

More

Offline dante

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 10:42:29 »
Huh!  Say wasn't it just a week or two ago that someone said they felt no difference in quality between a Filco and the Ganss? :D

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:40:24 »
I Guess you get what you pay for.
Buy cheap Chinese boards, except cheap spaghetti code or no instructions to avoid bricking.

To answer your question, the board is in bootloader mode.  Seen this on other devices like arcade controller PCBs or USB adapters that are in bootloader mode.   Usually you unplug and replug the device either before or after running the flash update tool, but getting codes to make the flasher execute may be hard with a bricked board (I guess use another keyboard).  If that doesn't fix it, contact the Chinese company you bought it from, see if you can ask for help, or an RMA, otherwise, toss the keyboard.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:37:55 »
there's an app called pleco (free),  and it's a pretty fast dictionary that allows you to draw in the chinese characters

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:45:11 »
I was trying to update my Ganss GK87. The goddamn firmware updater program thing was in Chinese.

LOL

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 00:11:35 »
I Guess you get what you pay for.
Buy cheap Chinese boards, except cheap spaghetti code or no instructions to avoid bricking.

To answer your question, the board is in bootloader mode.  Seen this on other devices like arcade controller PCBs or USB adapters that are in bootloader mode.   Usually you unplug and replug the device either before or after running the flash update tool, but getting codes to make the flasher execute may be hard with a bricked board (I guess use another keyboard).  If that doesn't fix it, contact the Chinese company you bought it from, see if you can ask for help, or an RMA, otherwise, toss the keyboard.

Nah i dont think its the Chinese fault. They bring us SA and DSA knock offs, EnjoyPBT and what not and now Topre Clone switches on plum boards. God bless their hearts. A friend used teamviewer and got it out of DFU mode. Its working now. It was my fault for expecting some sort of screen to show me that it was doing the update. I panicked when the lights went off(my Varmilo and Pok3r dont use lights), so i proceeded to unplug it DURING the update that was invisibly running in the background. First time updating something with firmware that isnt a cell phone :(

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 00:13:37 »
Huh!  Say wasn't it just a week or two ago that someone said they felt no difference in quality between a Filco and the Ganss? :D

I woudlnt know anything about filco, but compared to my Va87mr, Ganss be solid. :D

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 03:37:02 »
They bring us [...] EnjoyPBT [..] God bless their hearts.
Amen to that.

i proceeded to unplug it DURING the update
Then you're safe. You actually screwed up the firmware but not the bootloader, since it resides in a different memory portion (think of a hard disk partition). You need to put the board into bootloader mode again and upload your firmware again.
Flashing firmwares are usually fast operations but perhaps the chinese tool you used did some routine before actually flashing, like read, verify and erase the memory before uploading.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline swissdane23

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 11:16:58 »
They bring us [...] EnjoyPBT [..] God bless their hearts.
Amen to that.

i proceeded to unplug it DURING the update
Then you're safe. You actually screwed up the firmware but not the bootloader, since it resides in a different memory portion (think of a hard disk partition). You need to put the board into bootloader mode again and upload your firmware again.
Flashing firmwares are usually fast operations but perhaps the chinese tool you used did some routine before actually flashing, like read, verify and erase the memory before uploading.

Its all good. Next time ill try not to panic and friggin wait. xD