Author Topic: O-Rings for Reds?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Screwdriver

O-Rings for Reds?
« on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 15:35:28 »
So I picked up a KUL-87 MX Red board from a friend and am revisiting a previously hated switch. I am liking the silence of the stroke, but would like to silence the bottom sound. Not looking to shorten the stroke as much as deaden the sound. So a o-ring that quiets the bottoming, does not shorten the stroke much and is not too mushy.

What do you folks recommend?
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: O-Rings for Reds?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 09:24:35 »
70 is pretty hard.

I would say the thinnest and softest ones that you can find. This is my preferred mod for Cherries.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 15:22:36 »
If you want silent,  Get the MX silent from Corsair..

The oring only silent downstroke, but upstroke is still pretty loud.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:51:40 »

I can confirm that the MX Silent switches are much quieter than I ever imagined. The issue is that if you like the lightness of Reds you might not like the Silent version. While they are supposedly weighted the same I felt that the Silent switches felt a bit heavier. I no longer have Blacks for comparison, but I think they feel closer to Blacks than Reds.

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:57:49 »

I can confirm that the MX Silent switches are much quieter than I ever imagined. The issue is that if you like the lightness of Reds you might not like the Silent version. While they are supposedly weighted the same I felt that the Silent switches felt a bit heavier. I no longer have Blacks for comparison, but I think they feel closer to Blacks than Reds.

I like the weight of the Reds....and am not looking for a totally silent stroke, just a slight muffle on the bottom clack.

Gonna order a few different o-rings and give them a try.
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 10:06:37 »

I like the weight of the Reds....and am not looking for a totally silent stroke, just a slight muffle on the bottom clack.

I like these ones for Reds. I feel like they help a bit without really changing the feel of the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Rubber-O-Ring-Switch-Dampeners/dp/B00AZQ3966/

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:42:11 »
Clack or die

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:46:20 »
The smallest thin one without shorten the distance. And hardness/softness is personal preference.

Or put a matte under keyboard?

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 14:54:07 »
The smallest thin one without shorten the distance. And hardness/softness is personal preference.
Show Image

Or put a matte under keyboard?

Get these: https://www.amazon.com/008-Buna-N-Ring-Durometer-Black/dp/B000FMWLR8

Then remove them later and feel liberated.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 17:13:42 »

MX Silent are lovely. The ones I tried were super smooth and the weighting felt somewhere between MX Reds and MX Blacks, about as good as my linear Alps.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 23:21:26 »
If you want cheap, you can't beat ebay.  Here's one option.

If you want something a little thicker and/or a little softer, check out Lpwl in the vendor area and see what he can do for you.  His sample pack might be a good way to start.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 00:19:36 »
My solution to anti clacking was just to go heavier.

linears are my ****.

I didnt wanna lose the travel though so, added some weight by using blacks, and now i dont bottomout.

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 10:24:04 »

I like these ones for Reds. I feel like they help a bit without really changing the feel of the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Rubber-O-Ring-Switch-Dampeners/dp/B00AZQ3966/

Thanks, those are the ones I decided to buy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:04:16 »
If you want cheap, you can't beat ebay.  Here's one option.

If you want something a little thicker and/or a little softer, check out Lpwl in the vendor area and see what he can do for you.  His sample pack might be a good way to start.

+1 for Lpwl.

There are some great pictures in one of his threads, and he's probably more than happy to help you out.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ