Author Topic: Is a HHKB Pro 2 quiet enough?  (Read 8404 times)

Offline shadowku

Is a HHKB Pro 2 quiet enough?
« on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 20:40:34 »
I have a cherry-brown Filco that is too loud for my GF since we share office space. She's constantly complaining when I'm typing too loud.

I'm thinking of getting an HHKB or HHKB Type-S.
The price difference is pretty substantial and I'm not sure if I really need to get the Type-S if the regular Pro-2 is sufficiently quiet.
I understand that the Type-S does not feel exactly like the Pro-2 due to the noise dampening but I'm alright with that. I'm really wondering if I need to spend the additional cost for additional noise dampening

How does the noise from a Pro-2 compare with a regular dome keyboard?
Any thoughts?

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
Re: Is a HHKB Pro 2 quiet enough?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 21:02:00 »
I have a cherry-brown Filco that is too loud for my GF since we share office space. She's constantly complaining when I'm typing too loud.

I'm thinking of getting an HHKB or HHKB Type-S.
The price difference is pretty substantial and I'm not sure if I really need to get the Type-S if the regular Pro-2 is sufficiently quiet.
I understand that the Type-S does not feel exactly like the Pro-2 due to the noise dampening but I'm alright with that. I'm really wondering if I need to spend the additional cost for additional noise dampening

How does the noise from a Pro-2 compare with a regular dome keyboard?
Any thoughts?

I had a shine 5 with browns, which were MUCH quieter after installing o-rings.  I have a hhkb pro2 and its just as loud if not slightly louder than the browns, but is much nicer to type on.

I just got a typeS, and if you want to be silent, go with the typeS, its super quiet compared to both, if she has a problem with the typeS, you are out of luck, I dont know what could be quieter than that, maybe a mac wireless keyboard, which is pretty quiet, but terrible for typing on.

Hope that helps..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline shadowku

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 21:50:25 »
I'm surprised that the HHKB Pro 2 is as loud as your browns. Are you comparing with your browns with O-rings?

I tried installing O-rings but with my GMK caps, I really dislike the severely shortened travel distance. Also, browns with O-rings is still quite loud because a lot of the noise is from de-pressing keys.

From videos that compare the typing sound between cherry browns and HHKB (I've seen comparisons between Pro 2, Pro 2 w/ dental bands & lube, Type-S), I thought that the HHKB Pro 2 unmodded would be significantly quieter than cherry-browns.

I was already leaning towards the Type-S and I'm more-so leaning in that direction now. I haven't read about many people who have regretted upgrading from a Pro-2 to a Type-S.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 22:59:18 »
I'm surprised that the HHKB Pro 2 is as loud as your browns. Are you comparing with your browns with O-rings?

I tried installing O-rings but with my GMK caps, I really dislike the severely shortened travel distance. Also, browns with O-rings is still quite loud because a lot of the noise is from de-pressing keys.

From videos that compare the typing sound between cherry browns and HHKB (I've seen comparisons between Pro 2, Pro 2 w/ dental bands & lube, Type-S), I thought that the HHKB Pro 2 unmodded would be significantly quieter than cherry-browns.

I was already leaning towards the Type-S and I'm more-so leaning in that direction now. I haven't read about many people who have regretted upgrading from a Pro-2 to a Type-S.

If you dont mind spending the extra cash, just go with the typeS, trust me, its night and day..

My browns werent obnoxious or anything, and the pro2 isnt either, but it does make some noise, if your girl didnt like the sound level of the browns, the pro2 isnt going to help your cause.. Granted, the thock sound of the pro2 is absolutely amazing to the ear, and the only reason i got a TypeS is because when I live stream you can hear it pretty good so I needed something pretty quiet.

I honestly love the sound of the pro2 more than any keyboard, but its certainly not quiet, just an enjoyable noise altogether...

I think this video best replicates my experience regarding the sound.

Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 23:21:10 »
The only thing I can think of that would be quieter would be Matias Quiet Clicks.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:57:48 »
Type-S is quieter than Matias quiet clicks. If you already have HHKB, get Hypersphere's silencing rings for it. They feel and sound amazing.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 11:21:51 »
You can either go with a regular Pro 2 and do landing pads, dentsl bands or hypersphere rings. The first two will make your board quiet but will affect the tactility and travel. People swear by hypersphere rings but they're kind of expensive too.

I just went straight for the type-s and I dont regret it one bit!

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 11:35:53 »
I've got HHKB with Hypersphere's rings and Realforce with original purple silent sliders. There is very little noticable difference between the two in terms of sound and feel.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline shadowku

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 19:28:45 »
Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm going to head towards getting the Type-S. It's just so expensive and now I'll have to find a way to get one. I see it on Amazon but my brother lives in Tokyo so he might be able to help me out there. While it's cheaper in Japan, shipping it from Tokyo might make it just as expensive as buying it on Amazon.

Type-S is quieter than Matias quiet clicks. If you already have HHKB, get Hypersphere's silencing rings for it. They feel and sound amazing.

Is the Type-S really quieter than the Matias quiet clicks? I'm not really looking into Matias because they're not used in any of the keyboards that I want (HHKB, FC660C, Novatouch) but am interested in how quiet they are.

You can either go with a regular Pro 2 and do landing pads, dentsl bands or hypersphere rings. The first two will make your board quiet but will affect the tactility and travel. People swear by hypersphere rings but they're kind of expensive too.

I just went straight for the type-s and I dont regret it one bit!

I've got HHKB with Hypersphere's rings and Realforce with original purple silent sliders. There is very little noticable difference between the two in terms of sound and feel.

I would be interested in this mod if it doesn't change the feel of the keys too much. How much do Hypersphere's rings cost and where can I get them?

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 03:07:25 »
A pack of 61 or so will run you about 40 dollars or so. Try searching it on eBay as that's where Hypersphere usually sells it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 06:45:15 »
Before doing any modding consider the surface you have your HHKB on.

Placing a rubber mat or shelf liner material underneath the board dampens the sound as well.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 08:50:56 »
...snip

Is the Type-S really quieter than the Matias quiet clicks? I'm not really looking into Matias because they're not used in any of the keyboards that I want (HHKB, FC660C, Novatouch) but am interested in how quiet they are.

I have an HHKB Type-S and a board with Matias quiet clicks, and I would say HHKB Type-S is noticeably quieter than the Matias quiet clicks. I enjoy both, but for quietness I would choose the Type-S hands down. Worth the extra money over the non-Type-S for sure, IMO.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 08:26:14 by losing_ctrl »

Offline Screwdriver

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 09:20:39 »

I have a Realforce 55G and it is quieter then the Matias Quiet Click I had.....just slightly. Quietest board I have ever used is my MX Red when I just float the keys and not bottom out.
Realforce 87U/55g, Deck Hassium Pro-MX Browns, MK Disco TKL - KBT Browns, Code 87-MX Clears, KUL-87 MX Reds.

Offline shadowku

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 11:21:36 »

Placing a rubber mat or shelf liner material underneath the board dampens the sound as well.

I have been considering getting a giant mat under my keyboard/mouse if my desk will still look half elegant with it.

I have a Realforce 55G and it is quieter then the Matias Quiet Click I had.....just slightly. Quietest board I have ever used is my MX Red when I just float the keys and not bottom out.
When I get excited when working I start typing really hard so I don't think I can help myself from bottoming out. I've considered getting cherry-reds with o-rings though but I just really don't like o-rings.

A pack of 61 or so will run you about 40 dollars or so. Try searching it on eBay as that's where Hypersphere usually sells it.
Yeah it seems like Hypersphere currently doesn't have any postings. But considering the cost, I think I would rather just get the Type-S to save me the work.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 15:20:51 »
In my experience, there will be a slight difference between Pro 2 Type-S and Pro 2 with Hypersphere's rings. The Type-S is a bit quieter (I've read that lubing can also make a difference, however, I haven't tried it myself).

If you need a quiet keyboard, a stock Pro 2 is not a good idea IMO. My girl friend wasn't too happy with the sound of the Type-S in the beginning, and much less the Pro 2 before I silenced it.

I'd say go with the Type-S if Hypersphere's rings are sold out (I'm sure more's on the way if you can wait), and if you can get it from Japan (the price difference won't be that big, compared to, e.g., elitekeyboards).

Offline milchek

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 23:32:08 »
The 2 is pretty quiet I feel. I was worried about going mechanical for work (since I work at home, usually late night coding, with kids in the house), but it's actually really good if you're not after something too loud or clicky.

Just my preference though, everyone will have different tolerances for what is 'too loud' though, and YouTube clips can be misleading depending on how they were recorded, especially if you want to compare switches in different videos.

Offline shadowku

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 00:04:15 »
In my experience, there will be a slight difference between Pro 2 Type-S and Pro 2 with Hypersphere's rings. The Type-S is a bit quieter (I've read that lubing can also make a difference, however, I haven't tried it myself).

If you need a quiet keyboard, a stock Pro 2 is not a good idea IMO. My girl friend wasn't too happy with the sound of the Type-S in the beginning, and much less the Pro 2 before I silenced it.

I'd say go with the Type-S if Hypersphere's rings are sold out (I'm sure more's on the way if you can wait), and if you can get it from Japan (the price difference won't be that big, compared to, e.g., elitekeyboards).

If your girlfriend found the Type-S too loud then what is she okay with? From what I'm gathering, the Type-S is likely one of the quietest mechanical boards and while I haven't found any video that compares it to a normal rubber dome, I'm imagining that they're not too far off. Once I get my Type-S though, I think I will definitely upload a video comparison between the Type-S, Cherry-Browns, a normal dome keyboard, and a Silenced Topre (I plan to hypersphere a FC660C after I get my HHKB).

The 2 is pretty quiet I feel. I was worried about going mechanical for work (since I work at home, usually late night coding, with kids in the house), but it's actually really good if you're not after something too loud or clicky.

Just my preference though, everyone will have different tolerances for what is 'too loud' though, and YouTube clips can be misleading depending on how they were recorded, especially if you want to compare switches in different videos.

Luckily I've found videos that compare the keyboards that I'm comparing all in the same video so it does offer me some idea as to how they differ in sound. I've found a video that compares dental banded HHKB Pro 2, stock HHKB Pro 2, Type-S, and cherry browns, all in the same video which is exactly what I needed.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 00:09:09 »
i have both a silenced HHKB and a silenced RF87U, and the RF is quieter than the HHKB due to the fact that switches in the RF are mounted on metal, whereas the HHKB's switches are mounted on its plastic upper housing, giving it a thocky echo. the RF is almost dead silent.

Offline shadowku

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 00:24:18 »
i have both a silenced HHKB and a silenced RF87U, and the RF is quieter than the HHKB due to the fact that switches in the RF are mounted on metal, whereas the HHKB's switches are mounted on its plastic upper housing, giving it a thocky echo. the RF is almost dead silent.

That's really interesting actually. I haven't heard any mention of the RF87U and I haven't considered it much either.
The footprint of RFs are pretty big and I already find my Filco TKL a bit on the big side. I also really hate that my Filco doesn't have detachable cable so I'm not sure if I would consider the RF yet.. but that could change.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 00:33:08 »

That's really interesting actually. I haven't heard any mention of the RF87U and I haven't considered it much either.
The footprint of RFs are pretty big and I already find my Filco TKL a bit on the big side. I also really hate that my Filco doesn't have detachable cable so I'm not sure if I would consider the RF yet.. but that could change.

yeah i use a TKL for work because i prefer the extra keys for programming, but i use a 60% at home for size reasons, so i understand. it doesn't help that the RF87U is probably larger than it could have been...

also, if you were to place a cloth/tshirt/etc under the HHKB, you can dampen the vibrations slightly.

for the record, both my boards are silenced/lubed with dental bands (few $s for a pack of 100)

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 03:28:06 »
If your girlfriend found the Type-S too loud then what is she okay with? From what I'm gathering, the Type-S is likely one of the quietest mechanical boards and while I haven't found any video that compares it to a normal rubber dome, I'm imagining that they're not too far off. Once I get my Type-S though, I think I will definitely upload a video comparison between the Type-S, Cherry-Browns, a normal dome keyboard, and a Silenced Topre (I plan to hypersphere a FC660C after I get my HHKB).

I don't think I said she found it too loud :) She just thought it was loud, as in louder than what I had before, i.e., an Apple BT keyboard. I use the Type-S at home now, and she's not complaining (she was complaining a bit when I got the Pro 2 and took the Type-S to the office, but now the Type-S is back at my desk at home) :)

In case you didn't see it, I actually did recordings of all three keyboards. It should give you an idea of how the Pro 2, Pro 2 with Hypersphere's rings, and the Type-S compare. You can find my small review, and the recordings here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83292.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:33:26 by the_marsbar »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:19:41 »

This.

I have a folded sheet of drawer liner under my HHKB, and it makes a huge difference to the sound.  I prefer it with the sheet there now.

fohat.digs makes custom rubber mats for keyboards btw.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Ciemnika

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 21:23:53 »
As others have said, what you have the HHKB sitting on matters a lot. I have one of those super wide desk mat things, and it absorbs a good deal of the sound. A lot of the noise in the HHKB is also on the upstroke of the keys, not just they downstrokes, so your typing technique probably matters more with HHKB than a Cherry switch.

My HHKB is definitely louder than my Filco with browns, but I will also say that the noise is a lot nicer. I work primarily from home, but when I do go to the office, I take my keyboard with me. None of my coworkers have complained - and they would definitely complain if it bothered them. A couple remarked that it was less unpleasant sounding in our open space than the Filco was. Certainly the Type-S is quieter, but it's not (IMO) $100 quieter.