Author Topic: Wobble free, silent switches?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline ZyBeR

Wobble free, silent switches?
« on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:25:10 »
I'm a fan of the the sound of a silent topre board, but I have one of those and are now looking to build a keyboard. So I'm trying to find a silent and wobble free switch and we're hoping I could get some advice here.

I'm open to both linier and tactile.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Wobble free, silent switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:27:02 »
I'm a fan of the the sound of a silent topre board, but I have one of those and are now looking to build a keyboard. So I'm trying to find a silent and wobble free switch and we're hoping I could get some advice here.

I'm open to both linier and tactile.
Silent MX red or silent MX black from Cherry

Zealpc healios

Zealpc Zilents

That's all you need.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline ZyBeR

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:30:35 »
Thanks for your reply, I have a switch tester from kbdfans and I really like the sound of the red gatheron, but it's wobbly..

The once you list make a higher pitched sound on my tester.

I read that the Halo/Haku switches are really wobble free, is that true and if so can they be silenced?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 08:32:39 »
Thanks for your reply, I have a switch tester from kbdfans and I really like the sound of the red gatheron, but it's wobbly..

The once you list make a higher pitched sound on my tester.

I read that the Halo/Haku switches are really wobble free, is that true and if so can they be silenced?
I don't really know if the Box can be silenced. I honestly don't think the MX silent switches are that noisy.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 09:12:01 »
Imagine a perfectly still 100% wobble free switch,  it wouldn't move,  because we've just described a solid chunk of plastic..

The only way any two pieces move/slide across each other is if there's SOME wobble..

Wobble is not a characteristic to be Minimized..

The angle of attack on the keytop is a set metric..

Which means all (Correctly designed) switches must wobble by approximately the same amount, because the tolerance takes that angle into account.

The only difference you may perceive for wobble, is really just New vs Worn-In..

There could be a poorly designed switch which wobble more or less..  but ultimately,  Wobble is NOT a criteria you look for or guard against..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 10:40:06 »
Silent MX red or silent MX black from Cherry

Zealpc healios

Zealpc Zilents
Zeal PC's silent switches are variants of Gateron Silent switches. The Zilents have Zeal PC's tactile slider that you can't get anywhere else.
Gateron Silent switches are otherwise available in Black, Red ... and Brown (lightly tactile).
Kbdfans' Aliaz switch is a smoother version of Gateron Silent Brown.