Author Topic: What do you all think about blue backlighting?  (Read 5315 times)

Offline typo

What do you all think about blue backlighting?
« on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 21:50:52 »
Humor me for a moment and pretend you would indulge in a backlit keyboard. What do you think about blue backlighting? I have heard it bothers many and keeps them awake. Others go looking for it. I find it annoying but I think I could easily get used to it.

Offline Findecanor

Re: What do you all think about blue backlighting?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 22:06:01 »
I have always disliked blue LEDs, long before they were used for backlighting key legends on keyboards.
If I can't disassemble the thing and replace the LED, I put a piece of electrical tape on it.

Monochromatic light is too sharp, no matter what colour it is - blue is only the worst.
Warm white is the best. If "warm white" LEDs is not available, the second best would be to get RGB backlighting and adjust the colour to a consistent warm white - or at least to a colour that is not 100% saturated.
🍉

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 22:27:13 »
Usually blue is pretty bright.. and definitely causes spots for me at night unless its a low glow. If its a faint blue glow... then I like it. I am like Findecanor in that I take white vinyl tape and cover all the LED's on my TV area that are too bright in the dark. It diffuses them well enough that its not a problem for me.

This is WAY too much blue for me and would cause my eyes to have a purple hue around the edges. I dunno if that happens to other people or not:

But this diffused glow of blue i can do and like:
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 22:31:58 »
blue keeps people awake at night..

a bad circadian rhythm leads to a windfall of diseases..

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 23:24:39 »
I personally find it uncomfortable to look at, I just skip all backlighting on boards haha

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline badziew

• dome with slider
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 00:19:40 »
Ice blue only.
BTC 5139 (BTC dome with slider) | Chicony KB-5192FT (Futaba MA) | IBM Model M 1399580 (Croatian ISO) | M-tek (Monterey) K108 (Alps SKCM White) | Hyundai RT101+ (NMB dome with slider) | Vortex Race 3 (MX Clear) | Ajazz AK33 (Zorro Black) | Logitech K810 (Logitech PerfectStroke, US ISO)

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 00:23:14 »
Blue backlighting makes my eyes flicker. It's not nice.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 00:29:25 »
I agree. It seems a lot of gamers like it. Perhaps the idea is to not sleep. I don't know. It also seems some of the fancier single color gaming boards are blue. Go figure. I do not game much at all but I type a lot and used to type a whole lot. I have this idea that white backlighting is not a bad idea. Since a bright task lamp is equally likely to mess up your sleep. IT people that work the 3rd shift have more health issues in general. Some say how does one get sick sitting in a chair. Well, I would look at the chair for starters. All a bad combination. I would certainly not say programmers and analysts get beat up like football players but throw in the potato chips and red bull you just have a bad mixture. At least in regard to the keyboard it provides ambient light even if one touch types and I feel it might be better on the eyes and mind than a bright lamp. Although I did not think I would find many if any here that liked blue. Go on a gaming forum different story probably. Even though many play a lot probably not the hours put in coding. Plus many sit on the sofa with a large display. It seems blue is popular but our type of keyboards are not even backlit usually.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 00:50:19 »
Blue backlighting looks better in pictures IMO. In real life, it is cold and harsh. I would rather have white, even if blue is the theme color. It just looks cleaner and not so harsh.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 07:02:27 »
I have always disliked blue LEDs, long before they were used for backlighting key legends on keyboards.
If I can't disassemble the thing and replace the LED, I put a piece of electrical tape on it.

Monochromatic light is too sharp, no matter what colour it is - blue is only the worst.
Warm white is the best. If "warm white" LEDs is not available, the second best would be to get RGB backlighting and adjust the colour to a consistent warm white - or at least to a colour that is not 100% saturated.

Sounds like good advice, if you must have lights on your keyboard at all.

Personally, I think any lighting is a probably a mistake.  It only encourages you to use your computer in the dark, which leads to eye strain.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 12:48:40 »
I honestly think a briht light in front of you is worse. I do not care to light the whole room at night. That probably makes for worse sleep habits than the blue led's. Actually I can stand blue very dim. In the flashlight world they go out of their way to make sure white led's do not have a blue tint. It does seem a lot of these gaming boards if not RGB are blue. Of course backlighting came about from gaming not typists.

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 12:57:14 »
I'm over them. My first KBT Pure has blues and while it makes for higher visibility on legends/surround glow, it does hurt the eyes to look at after a while.

For my second Pure, I've soldered in orange LEDS.
179152-0
This is at full brightness. It's not harsh at all. Full-brightness blues you cannot even look directly at.

As with everything in this hobby, it comes down to personal preference, but I find that my new board is far more pleasing to look at, for the LEDs alone.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 14:47:03 »
For my second Pure, I've soldered in orange LEDS.

oooohhh....   It's almost like the warm glow of vacuum tubes.  Or amber monitors.

Offline mogo

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 19:24:49 »
179182-0
yeah!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 22:44:31 »
tbh, nty on any leds

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 12:28:31 »
Blue is pretty.  But practically I hate it.  Even on my LCD screen I have a program which filters most of the blue light, it makes things green, but I like it.  It's called F.lux.  I prefer white or red.  I think RGB give you a spectrum to choose from?  I've never look at it or researched it.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline mogo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 13:57:30 »
Blue is pretty.  But practically I hate it.  Even on my LCD screen I have a program which filters most of the blue light, it makes things green, but I like it.  It's called F.lux.  I prefer white or red.  I think RGB give you a spectrum to choose from?  I've never look at it or researched it.

Yes. It's short for Red-Green-Blue, meaning it is able to recreate any mixture of the three colors.

Offline typo

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 21:49:06 »
I can try blue on lowest. I do not like blue. Seems to be the consensus. I like backlit boards because to me it is much easier in the dark than a glaring lamp. I hate turning on the room lights at night. Perhaps I am odd but at night I do everything with very little light.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a very high quality board with white or rgb? It seems that no attention to quality has been applied to any of these. Unless there is one I do not know of. I guess this explains why most of you would rather no backlighting. It seems to be a novelty or afterthought aimed at gamers. Just lower quality boards from China. China is okay but these boards do not sem to be anything great. Sadly, even the Topre rgb is not the greatest quality. I do not even care what kind of switch it has. Surprisingly I like the Razer Ornata Chroma. As everyone knows it is a rubber dome mainly. The principle is similar to the Topre rgb and the feel is also similar. The Topre rgb does not feel like a Japanese Realforce. At least $89 Vs. $260 but I have a strong feeling the Razer shall last but a few months. ABS/PBT does not really matter either so long as the ABS is of GMK quality. Most of these boards have the cheapest cases and key caps possible. For those of you that have ben following my recent posts here it is time to give up 20+ year old Deck's unfortunately. Unless I have blue backlighting! Their only real TG3 built Deck product now only contains blue Led's. At $200+ they must figure someone likes it.  I do not want a TG3 with a touch pad or rubber covering. Otherwise those are red or green. I suppose if it means that much to me maybe I could deal with the blue backlight. I am not sure but I am tired of taking $200-$300+ gambles as with the Topre rgb. One thing is I want a typing keyboard, hence no media controls etc. The other option is to get used to a light in the room at night but that, I think is the most difficult one for me.

Offline Diserasta

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 22:33:18 »
I can try blue on lowest. I do not like blue. Seems to be the consensus. I like backlit boards because to me it is much easier in the dark than a glaring lamp. I hate turning on the room lights at night. Perhaps I am odd but at night I do everything with very little light.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a very high quality board with white or rgb? It seems that no attention to quality has been applied to any of these. Unless there is one I do not know of. I guess this explains why most of you would rather no backlighting. It seems to be a novelty or afterthought aimed at gamers. Just lower quality boards from China. China is okay but these boards do not sem to be anything great. Sadly, even the Topre rgb is not the greatest quality. I do not even care what kind of switch it has. Surprisingly I like the Razer Ornata Chroma. As everyone knows it is a rubber dome mainly. The principle is similar to the Topre rgb and the feel is also similar. The Topre rgb does not feel like a Japanese Realforce. At least $89 Vs. $260 but I have a strong feeling the Razer shall last but a few months. ABS/PBT does not really matter either so long as the ABS is of GMK quality. Most of these boards have the cheapest cases and key caps possible. For those of you that have ben following my recent posts here it is time to give up 20+ year old Deck's unfortunately. Unless I have blue backlighting! Their only real TG3 built Deck product now only contains blue Led's. At $200+ they must figure someone likes it.  I do not want a TG3 with a touch pad or rubber covering. Otherwise those are red or green. I suppose if it means that much to me maybe I could deal with the blue backlight. I am not sure but I am tired of taking $200-$300+ gambles as with the Topre rgb. One thing is I want a typing keyboard, hence no media controls etc. The other option is to get used to a light in the room at night but that, I think is the most difficult one for me.

I tend to use minimal light at night as well, so it can't be that rare.

As for high quality boards in RGB or white, Ducky makes a few (the Pok3r comes in RGB iirc).
And if you'll forgive the shameless plug, I'm also in the process of designing an RGB 65% board (link in the signature), so that's something to check out if high quality and portability are something you want.

Offline typo

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 22:52:11 »
I really want at least 102 keys. However not that crazy gaming stuff with 200 keys. Exaggeration

Ducky is the one I have not tried. I was told this before. A few months ago I was about to get one but was talked into a Leopold. Which of course is not backlit. It does seem people like 40-60%. I really use the num pad and just do not prefer a separate unit. Of course these are all preferences with any of this. I think it is almost universal that blue is bad though. Even if I took a TKL, I do not know why TG3's only Deck board is blue backlit. They are a big keyboard company so they must be selling them. It is hard on the eyes. Also, I find much light at night is also very bothersome to me. I touch type. The backlight just provides some ambient light in a pitch black room. I always have it on "1".

I appreciate the recommendation. I am going to go buy a Ducky. They are not even a lot of money. I mean like compared to TG3 or Topre. A lot of folks recommend them. Probably does not feel as nice as the Razer or Topre rgb but it is also probably better built. I am not joking I can lightly press the front of the Topre rgb to the space bar. Cannot do that with a true Realforce or HHKB.

The Razer feels good for the price but no onboard memory is complete bs to me. It is not built like TG3 but it is okay. Next place I am going is Amazon.....

Offline typo

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 15:41:19 »
Well, I am using my Realforce RGB. It is different than a true Realforce and not built quite as well. More people love it then hate it. For $100 more than the Ducky I figured I would just cut my losses. I could very well get the Ducky and the build quality is similar. After all it is a $260 keyboard. The old Deck was an industrial keyboard. So I really cannot expect that from anything new aimed at our crowd or gamers. Even a true Realforce. So, I will just have to deal with it. Quite frankly it is built well enough for most people and very few complain about the quality. The backlighting is among the best there is. The switches are the exact opposite of my modified clear's at just 45g. Actually I find it nice in a different way. It is not by any means cheaply made. Just perhaps not built as well as a 104UB and certainly neither is industrial quality. I have to ask myself why I need industrial quality. The GMK key caps are good quality, loved by many and $100 alone. Yes, talking myself into it. I am not the first one here to go on a crazy keyboard journey. I do apologize for getting carried away. Honestly a $260 keyboard is not junk and it is okay. If I must have backlighting at this juncture I am going to have to compromise some build quality. It really is not much. I am sure thee are junk $1,000 keyboards but the Topre shall suffice. It is not junk by any means and complaining about t is anal. Which of course I am. However I would guess Ducky is not going to impress me any more. It is a different feel and sound than a true Realforce but it is not to say bad. It is still certainly a Topre. So that is it for now. Until I cannot stand it :) Seriously I am sorry for all these posts regarding this. The bottom line is it does not exist right now and I will simply have to compromise somewhere. The Realforce overall is nothing to sneeze at honestly. I just have my sights set too high for a backlit board. If I did not require backlighting there are higher quality boards. So, That's all for now. Using it right now. It is probably the best of the lot of backlit boards quite frankly. So long as anyone likes the feel I suppose. I have used Topre for years and it is along the lines just somewhat different but in the same family for sure. I am done for the moment I promise.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 15:56:44 »
Yikes, somebody get that dude an Enter key!  :?D
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 16:11:50 »
i got blue leds for mira so im into it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:08:14 »
Blue lighting's over-stimulatory nature is a real thing. I use a little resident app called F.lux that, as sunset approaches, subtly changes my Windows display to a rosier, less-blue hue. It's definitely made it easier for for me to get to sleep later. If I temporarily turn it off in the evening, the sudden blue glare—which I always considered "normal"—is shocking.

So, no, it's probably not the greatest idea to have a bunch of bright blue LEDs pointing up at you at night.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline typo

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 22:27:26 »
I hear you on the enter key lol. I do find blue annoying. I would not go limit my wide gamut displays. For the amount of light 103+ keys present it is harsh.

The rgb actually has some nice colors other than white. Although I have no idea if they are good for ones eyes.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 03:00:11 »
I hear you on the enter key lol. I do find blue annoying. I would not go limit my wide gamut displays. For the amount of light 103+ keys present it is harsh.

The rgb actually has some nice colors other than white. Although I have no idea if they are good for ones eyes.
The problem with RGB has to do with color mixing, it isn't perfect. However, many people like how the colors are obviously being mixed, with pure colors leaking out a bit on fringes. Some colors produce better results than other, but the white from RGB is usually tainted either pink or blue. Outside of keyboards, quality RGB strips actually have a fourth color, white, RGBW. These produce more accurate colors. RGBW is probably overkill for a keyboard though even if you could find it, unless you are very particular about color matching and want flexibility.
The reason I am telling you this is because RGB LED's aren't very good at doing orange, they jump right to yellow too fast. However, RGBW LED's produce a wonderful orange color.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 October 2017, 03:03:08 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline typo

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 04:37:22 »
I get some colors I like out of it. There are probably many more I would like that I have not explored. I actually found I like light Grey better than 255,255,255. I already am aware of what you speak of though. One thing is for certain, bright blue is not good for ones eyes or brain. I was just checking to see if most agreed or if I was simply wrong. Apparently I am correct. I do not think I would enjoy looking at orange either. I do not know if their are any sight ramifications of orange but it does not interest me anyways. You can get some pleasing colors with RGB but I am not aware of if the ones I like are in fact dangerous. As is blue.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 03:57:42 »
I like blue.

My first modern mechanical keyboard was a Ducky Shine with red LEDs.

My second was going to be the same but with blue LEDs, but the local stockist was out of stock.  So I got green LEDs instead.

I'd still like one with blue LEDs.

If it upsets the circadian rhythm, perhaps I could take it into work and it would help to keep me awake.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline EscapeVelocity

• Antiquarian
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 23:53:11 »
Blue backlighting is horrendous!

I prefer Amber/Orange or Green. 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 00:47:42 »
If I have to have backlighting, I prefer red.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 03:54:57 »
Blue backlighting is horrendous!

I prefer Amber/Orange or Green. 

I have a Ducky Yellow keyboard that is supposed to have yellow LEDs, but they look orange to me.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:46:39 »
I'm planning on putting cyan and magenta leds behind my Miami Nights keyset. But I'll probably take a picture of it then turn them off forever.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:20:17 »
I'm planning on putting cyan and magenta leds behind my Miami Nights keyset. But I'll probably take a picture of it then turn them off forever.

I'm a little surprised someone hasn't made a keyboard with Miami backlighting.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:34:41 »

i've definitely seen it before

pink LEDs are a bit hard to source, though
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 16:45:04 »

Well stay tuned! I'm a little concerned about how much the leds will bleed into each other, as that'll create blue and might ruin the effect a bit. I'm also planning on spray painting the steel plate cyan and magenta in the relevant areas, for a subtler effect when the leds are off.

I actually managed to find them straightaway, but couldn't find cyan ones anywhere until a Redditor pointed me to some 'sky blue' ones.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 00:56:38 »

i've definitely seen it before

One or two customs, perhaps, but I was thinking more of a major manufacturer doing a small run of Miami-backlit keyboards.

Offline CapCollector

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 08:21:04 »
If you have to have it, then why not blue. I have blue fans in my case so it would match nicely. I'm more of a fan of blue accents than backlighting though.... capslock indicators etc...