Author Topic: Dental Banding a Topre (Realforce 87u 55g)  (Read 22767 times)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
Dental Banding a Topre (Realforce 87u 55g)
« on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:14:59 »
Hello Geekhackers and other Keyboard Bros,

Yes, it's been done before.  It's been posted before.  This isn't a new mod, but this is a breakdown of MY experience with the mod.

Background/Disclaimer:

I love keyboards.  I love all switches.  They all have their strengths in weaknesses, both in design and feel. 

When I got into Keyboards, I knew I had to have a Topre.  Set aside $230+ in my budget for "science."  Was Topre worth the hype?   Is It just rubber dome?  You'll often catch me saying "Topre is a $150 Rubber Dome that costs over $200."  This is in reference to typing feel and build quality.  Topre is NOT rubber dome,  the pcb and engineering is so different.   But it does feel like a very good Rubber Dome. 

The board felt better the more I broke in the switches, but I still felt I'd rather have spent the money on BS, MX, and ALPS boards and materials.  I wasn't all that impressed.  See below for typing feel breakdown.

So...

Why?

Quite a few people have dental band modded their Topres.  Decided to give it a go since I didn't really like my 87u 55g...and I love tinkering.  It sounded promising.  Also lubed these sliders while I had it open.  Also, SCIENCE

Let's Start With Pictures

My Realforce 87u 55g:

Angled to fit camera better.  Still waiting on a replacement Macro Lense for my Nikon...using old Power shot for now

Side Shot:

The equivalent of the MySpace Angle for keyboards.

My Camera and Lighting Can't Pick Up the Black on Black:

Board Opened:

55g Domes:

Capacitive Spring Under Dome:

The spring adds maybe 5g.  This is what activates the Capacitive switch.  No spring, no actuation.

Dental Bands:

Sliders Banded:

Popping sliders out of their housing and plate meant breaking the little talon/tooth on the sliders.  This did not affect the switch feel or performance, but might cause small pains in reassembly.

Reassembled:

Blue tape on spacebar until I can find black tape or a PBT spacebar.  The RF 87u has PBT caps but an ABS spacebar...

What is dental banding?

Put a Dental Band (similar to an O-Ring) around a Topre Slider.  Simple as that.

What it does:

1. Silenced Upstroke  When the slider slides up on a rebound, the dental band stops the slider from reaching the top.  It dampens/absorbs the shock and sound.

2. Shortened key travel to actuation  Topre Capacitive switches actuate around half way.  This dental band which stops the slider from reaching the top of the stroke also keeps the key partially actuated.  It travels less to reach actuation, but the distance from actuation until bottom out is not affected.

FEEL:

Before:
Topre 55g has the "tactility" at the top of the stroke.  In terms of FEEL, Topre is just a really good Rubber Dome.  Tactility is created by collapsing a dome.  After breaking the initial tactility at the top of a topre dome, there is little supporting resistance as you bottom out (vs. MX which has a spring that is constantly pushing upwards).  There is a decent snap on the upstroke as the dome reverts.

After:
Tactility is lost on most of the domes,  since the band forces the switch into a "partially activated" state through the first portion of its stroke, where topre tactility is.  Even though some tactility is lost, it's still not entirely linear.  Also, obviously there is still no guiding up force.  The travel is so much shorter.  These switches also require less force to actuate.   Partly because it starts off with the dome being slightly compressed and also because of the lube.

Personal Thoughts:

Love it so far!  I found 55g to be a little harsh with the bottom out, since the switch requires a lot of force to break tactility, and then is not supported by a spring during the rest of the stroke. 

Pressing hard meant a harsh bottom out.  Stronger and less refined fingers meant a more jarring end to the keystroke, though there was a bit of cushioning from the rubber itself.  Can't imagine how painful it would be if it had MX'S plastic bottom out.

But..

The lubed and Banded switches are silent, smooth,  and not as harsh during long typing sessions.  I wish the distance to actuation was a little longer,  but that might be resolved by using thinner bands.  Lubing the stabilizers was also an awesome idea,  glad I did it.

Would recommend :)

Thanks for reading!

- Defect

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
Re: Dental Banding a Topre (Realforce 87u 55g)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:22:11 »
Nice write-up. I considered doing this with the different methods of silencing topre (dental bands vs landing pads vs stock RF 'silenced' sliders). Might still get around to it sometime.

Which dental bands did you use? 3/16th or 1/8th or other?
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Defect

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:24:43 »
Nice write-up. I considered doing this with the different methods of silencing topre (dental bands vs landing pads vs stock RF 'silenced' sliders). Might still get around to it sometime.

Which dental bands did you use? 3/16th or 1/8th or other?

Would love to see a comparison of the different silencing methods.  I don't like Topre enough to buy another yet haha (well...Novatouch will be mine...)

I used 3/16 bands I picked up off Amazon.  Bought way too many...like...5x as much as I need...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:04:04 »
Thanks for the writeup.  Very good pictures too!

And reading your thoughts on the difference that it made, I don't think I'll be doing this to my Topre keyboard any time soon.  I like a bit more travel, a bit of resistance and the Thorpe thock!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Defect

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:18:16 »
Thanks for the writeup.  Very good pictures too!

And reading your thoughts on the difference that it made, I don't think I'll be doing this to my Topre keyboard any time soon.  I like a bit more travel, a bit of resistance and the Thorpe thock!

Thanks for commenting!  I left my F-row unmodded (lubed the F1-F4 cluster) so I could do a feel test whenever I want.  I prefer dental band and lubed over stock 7 times out of 10.  Those 3 times when stock wins it's because I miss a longer travel (I should have used thinner bands!) or because I just wanted to hear the noise again.  Silence wins most of the time though :P

If you get any extra Topre boards I recommend at least sampling this mod.  And lube is your friend too :)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:22:32 »
I recently dental banded my HHKB using very thin mystery dental bands/orings from Korea. They were thin enough that they barely affected the travel and feel. I need to measure them and see if I can figure out where they came from.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 21:57:32 »
I dental banded my FC660C and it's quite noticeably better now.  The dental bands I used looked smaller than the ones you used though.  I noticed no real difference in travel either (bands were so thin no way travel reduction would be noticeable).

Also It's pretty easy to pop out the sliders without damaging the little tabs.  I think I  broke the tab on the first one then no more the entire time once I saw how easy it was to avoid. All I had to do was use a small flat head screw driver to put a little pressure on the side with the tab when removing it.

The ones I used were from ebay and are identified as:
NEON - 1/8" LIGHT 2.5 oz. - ORTHODONTIC ELASTIC - BRACES - DENTAL RUBBER BANDS 141017868936

I love this keyboard so much now I want to take it home from work every day instead of using my blackbird.  I might have to buy another topre for use at home, but I'm undecided since I game at home and still feel browns might be better for gaming.

Another thing to note is that I have read somewhere that dental banding the realforce gives a slightly different result than the FC660C due to there being less room for the keystroke already.  So the bands the OP used + already reduced travel might be why he is noticing it and I am not.  I'm not 100% on the realforce topre tolerances being different though.  I know my reactions were not the same as the op's as far as key travel or tactility differences (I noticed nothing).

Too bad you didn't take pictures of the lube job (Great pictures BTW), basically there 2 sliding parts the stems ride in for each switch and those are what you lube.  I also lubed the stabs which was a little more tricky.

For lube I used this:
Finish Line Extreme Fluoro 100% DuPont Teflon Grease, 20g Syringe
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002L5UL92/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_3

and a small brush for application:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044TU8PK/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_4
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:08:43 by Justintoxicated »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:06:27 »
I dental banded my FC660C and it's quite noticeably better now. 

Can you post a typing video or sound recording? I am curious to hear dental bands in a FC660C.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:34:42 »
I dental banded my FC660C and it's quite noticeably better now. 

Can you post a typing video or sound recording? I am curious to hear dental bands in a FC660C.

Probably not anytime soon, my good camera (EM1) is going out for repairs tomorrow :(  I have a gopro or a HTC M8 though if that would be good enough, just need to find some time.  Then you can all laugh at my 66-70wpm speeds though haha.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 01:15:30 »
M43 users unite :fist bump:

Mainly I just want to hear the audio.

Offline Defect

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 09:16:49 »
Thanks for the reply, Justintoxicated!

I noticed that my Alphas have reduced travel and reduced tactility, vs. My arrow keys and 6 key cluster still have that tactility at the top (only slightly reduced)

At first I though maybe I didn't set the domes right but that is not the case...was not aware RF 87u had reduced travel.

I wanted to post lube pics but my Nikon is with my brother (and I need a replacement Macro Lense)  and so I had to use my old Canon Power Shot...and struggled with it haha.

I used to be 80% against Topre, but now I think this is probably my favorite board.  Starting to LOVE the reduced travel and reduced harsh tactility.  A shame I just spent several hundred on MX parts and tools for wood cases :(

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:45:44 »
M43 users unite :fist bump:

Mainly I just want to hear the audio.

my phone does pretty good videos I'll see what I can do.  I'm really hurting for free time right now though "I mean time outside of work, and cameras are not allowed at work."

Thanks for the reply, Justintoxicated!

I noticed that my Alphas have reduced travel and reduced tactility, vs. My arrow keys and 6 key cluster still have that tactility at the top (only slightly reduced)

At first I though maybe I didn't set the domes right but that is not the case...was not aware RF 87u had reduced travel.

I wanted to post lube pics but my Nikon is with my brother (and I need a replacement Macro Lense)  and so I had to use my old Canon Power Shot...and struggled with it haha.

I used to be 80% against Topre, but now I think this is probably my favorite board.  Starting to LOVE the reduced travel and reduced harsh tactility.  A shame I just spent several hundred on MX parts and tools for wood cases :(

Well I could send you some 1/8 dental bands if you wanted to try them out and review them on some of those keys.  I have already had mine apart twice because I didn't lube the stabs the first time :)  I didn't even use 1/2 the bands I ordered from that ebay seller.

Offline Defect

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 14:52:53 »

Well I could send you some 1/8 dental bands if you wanted to try them out and review them on some of those keys.  I have already had mine apart twice because I didn't lube the stabs the first time :)  I didn't even use 1/2 the bands I ordered from that ebay seller.

I appreciate the gesture very much but I've already taken the board apart so many times that I don't want to have to ever turn a screw ever again.  Also...setting domes sucks.

I actually REALLY like it this way.  Makes me go as far as considering purchasing a second Topre.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 17:05:16 »
 Just an FYI, You should have to set any domes, just flip the plate over and put them into the switch housing then line up the PCB with the plate and flip it back over.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 00:44:50 »
Just an FYI, You should have to set any domes, just flip the plate over and put them into the switch housing then line up the PCB with the plate and flip it back over.

Don't the rubberdomes have to be glued back down in place?

I really like this thread because I need to mod my Topre or hire someone to mod it for me.  I am trying to work out what is possible and what is not, and so forth.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline intelli78

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 00:47:58 »
Don't the rubberdomes have to be glued back down in place?

They do not have to be, no. But if you think you're going to keep opening your keyboard and a lot of them are loose, you may want to find a safe glue to tack them down. In general, I second the practice of placing loose domes inside the switch housings and plopping the PCB on top. Much easier to get proper alignment that way.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 17:30:20 »
Fast forward 3 years....

I ordered some 3/18" Extra Heavy bands from Amazon and here's how big they are...

Compared to yours...

Are you sure that you got 3/16"? Am I sure I got 3/18"?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 17:49:42 »
Fast forward 3 years....

I ordered some 3/18" Extra Heavy bands from Amazon and here's how big they are...

Show Image

Compared to yours...

Show Image

Are you sure that you got 3/16"? Am I sure I got 3/18"?

Those look totally wrong compared to what I used ages ago. Don't have any pics to show though.

It could also be the perspective and zoom being used but I don't remember mine looking quite like that.

I wonder if it could be a different thickness/weight even though it is still 3/16", notice in these photos there seem to be different weight options.

EDIT: Reading again you said you bought extra heavy, that is your problem you need medium, 3.5oz, 3/16".
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2017, 18:32:20 by SpAmRaY »

Offline zslane

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 14:26:34 »
I ordered a set of 2.5oz 3/8" bands and they won't really work because 3/8" is too large a diameter. I am going to try 5/16" and see if they are a better fit.

I also compared thicknesses, and 2.5oz bands are thicker than both Hypersphere rings and Chinese silencing rings, so I'm not sure if they'll be satisfactory even if the diameter is a better fit. Too much thickness and the rubber dome is precompressed too much, which ruins the tactility of the switch. Hypersphere rings are thick enough that they soften the tactility to the point beyond which the switch would feel linear, so a 2.5oz dental band may be too thick. And since I don't think they come any thinner (is there a 1.5oz version out there?), dental banding may not be a viable approach at all, and only Hypersphere rings and Chinese bands are usable.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 15:26:03 »
OP - Do you still enjoy your 3.5 oz mod?

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 15:49:07 »
Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmm..

If you guys are using the slightly sticky type of dental bands.. you'd probably want to use a wet lube to take away the stickiness..

That could affect key feel ..

If you notice the topre stock silence rings, they're designed specifically not to stick.

Offline drewafx

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 01:21:29 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 November 2022, 22:43:40 by drewafx »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 05:21:24 »
Please be aware dental banding or O-ring mod on stock slider
permanently affects the rubber dome as it's always pressed in at resting position.
I've done it to my Type Heaven for about 2 years, and when it was opened for cleaning,
dental bands were falling apart, while rubber domes were stiffened and deteriorated (small bubbles) where they contact the bottom part of sliders.
(used for work at a warehouse...plastics turn yellow and tapes get sticky easily
but any environment exposed to air would do this)

After lubing sliders and removing split rubberband,
the keyboard feels like hitting hard rubber.
Without the help of rubber band pushing the initial force, it's harder to touch type yet no real feedback, so I always have to bottom out to make sure it's typed.
(hit em hard and don't feel actuating until bottom out)

Now I bought a realforce 104U Silent (just lubed sliders) for home and
it's what Topre is known for...buttery smooth yet tactile feedback
Don't lose it (and resale value)...at least consider having a backup Topre for comparison

This correct,   under stress the plasticizer will deteriorate faster..  hot and cold cycles also greatly wears out soft-type plastics/rubbers

Offline zslane

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:12:59 »
All that may be true, but until Topre comes out with a factory-silenced version of the RealForce RGB (like they should have from the start, IMO), then adding silencing rings/bands is my only option. C'est la vie.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:35:13 »
All that may be true, but until Topre comes out with a factory-silenced version of the RealForce RGB (like they should have from the start, IMO), then adding silencing rings/bands is my only option. C'est la vie.

How does this mod compare to the HHKB silenced? I needz to know mang.

Offline zslane

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:35:55 »
I wouldn't know. I don't have an HHKB.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:50:47 »
I wouldn't know. I don't have an HHKB.

But I thought you knew everything sensei as you have answered most of my questions here.  :confused:  :p

I shall go on a journey on these forums to find this answer or maybe someone posts here :O  Because once those realforce and HHKB go on stock here soon where I am buying I will have to make this life changing decision it seems haha.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 April 2017, 12:53:09 by DuckNorris »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 22:52:23 »
You can install little washers on the screw stands (on hhkb at least) that add height and reduce the pre-collapse of the domes. 
keyboards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 05:48:04 »
You can install little washers on the screw stands (on hhkb at least) that add height and reduce the pre-collapse of the domes.
Could you explain that or show a picture?

I'm not understanding what you are referring to.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 06:30:45 »
keyboards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 07:55:59 »
Here's a guide!

http://m.imgur.com/a/DLuOw
Very interesting. Thanks for the link. :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 08:40:53 »
Hrrrmmm... did you caliper the hyper sphere ring...

how thick are the dental bands once put on the slider,  the op might need a slightly greater offset than .44 spacers in the photos

Also, before ya'll caliper,  make sure to watch an instructional video.. for proper technique / handfeel / placement.

It's not as straight forward as you'd think.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 06 April 2017, 11:24:22 »
Hrrrmmm... did you caliper the hyper sphere ring...

how thick are the dental bands once put on the slider,  the op might need a slightly greater offset than .44 spacers in the photos

Also, before ya'll caliper,  make sure to watch an instructional video.. for proper technique / handfeel / placement.

It's not as straight forward as you'd think.

That's not my write up, so I can't confirm anything. Nor do I know what size washers would be necessary to accommodate dental bands, but even a little would help. I know a couple people who have used the spacers along with hyperspheres​and they're happy with the results. I plan to do it as well when I silence my hhkb
keyboards.

Offline zslane

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 23:14:36 »
Well I can confirm that 5/16" diameter is perfect for TMX sliders.

I'll need to actually install them in something before I can say for sure whether or not their 2.5oz thickness is too thick, but there is hope.