Author Topic: Ate too much watermelon  (Read 19570 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Ate too much watermelon
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 15:58:46 »
Is the price of the watermelon cubes artificially high or are they just that hard to grow?

A little of both. They have special cages and need to meet measurement requirements. But also the Japanese government regulates it to specific farmers who are allowed to do it, so the price is radically inflated.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 18:23:05 »
A little of both. They have special cages and need to meet measurement requirements. But also the Japanese government regulates it to specific farmers who are allowed to do it, so the price is radically inflated.

So you pay more for just aesthetics, that's like the opposite of what you should be buying fruit for. Idk I recently heard something that I've probably heard before that grocery stores dump massive amounts of waste fruit because they look aesthetically pleasing. Stuff like that makes me want to start gardening one day.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 19:09:24 »

makes me want to start gardening one day.

I have had a small garden most years for about the past 20, and this is my 3rd year with a much more serious garden since I moved into this house with a good sunny back yard.

The irreconcilable frustration is that there comes a huge harvest for a few weeks in the 2nd half of the summer and then it is mostly over. During that period you get far more than you can eat and give away, but then it is a matter of waiting until next summer - many months away.

Still well worth it, though.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 09:32:57 »
I have had a small garden most years for about the past 20, and this is my 3rd year with a much more serious garden since I moved into this house with a good sunny back yard.

The irreconcilable frustration is that there comes a huge harvest for a few weeks in the 2nd half of the summer and then it is mostly over. During that period you get far more than you can eat and give away, but then it is a matter of waiting until next summer - many months away.

Still well worth it, though.

It probably will be worth it in the long run, especially reducing the amount of waste and money spent at stores. There seem to be a lot of guides too which is good. My only concern is storing everything for extended periods, I have looked into but still don't want to waste food that would be grown in the garden and worried that will happen.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 09:53:00 »

storing everything for extended periods

That is the tricky part. If you have dependable electricity and room in the freezer, that is one of the best and easiest ways to go. Here in the US a small chest freezer can be bought for about $200 and mine claims to only use $30 in electricity per year.

My dehydrator has been running continuously for well over a month and I have been giving away a lot. And of course home canning is the traditional route.

https://seedmoney.org/blog/canning-tomatoes-step-by-step/

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sniping

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 12:14:39 »
I want to attribute the high watermelon prices this year to the cost of freighting and logistics. oil price isn't particularly high but i'm sure there's a lot of variables at play. if you all are looking for another great summer fruit you should check out the hami melon if its not on your radar already. should be available at most asian supermarkets.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 13:49:11 »
I want to attribute the high watermelon prices this year to the cost of freighting and logistics. oil price isn't particularly high but i'm sure there's a lot of variables at play. if you all are looking for another great summer fruit you should check out the hami melon if its not on your radar already. should be available at most asian supermarkets.

Honeydew and cantaloupe are just so-so, vs King Watermelon.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 14:07:32 »

Honeydew and cantaloupe are just so-so

The difference between homegrown cantaloupe and store-bought is at least as great as the difference in tomatoes. They can be absolutely exquisite.

I have never grown honeydew, and have not grown any melons at all for several years. The problem is that they are sprawling, ground-hugging plants and 98% of the time, for me at least, there are multiple pests that relentlessly attack both fruit and vines.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 15:49:06 »

I would go as far to say that standard honeydew is far tastier reliably than any standard watermelon out there. Personally, it is only about 1 out of 5 watermelons that are sweet and have a good red flesh proportion. Honeydew has a far higher average of reliability on the tasty scale.

Cantaloupe is a huge wiff about 80%

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 07:59:57 »

Watermelon is like all the gods and deities settled their differences, all the religions came to an agreement and there was divine peace. Then they all came together to create a new fruit and made watermelon
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D