Author Topic: Ap0(alypse j0bs  (Read 3304 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Ap0(alypse j0bs
« on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 15:20:18 »
What would your SKILL be when it hits and we're slowly dying off in the madmax rad1ologi(al wasteland?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Ap0(alypse j0bs
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 15:29:16 »
Gunsmith would be the best. Needed to repair weapons, make ammo, and you get the most access to the weapons stash should your group turn.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 17:09:35 »
NT do you actually have metal forging experience? Tp4 has made paintball guns before on cnc, but there'd be no way for Tp4 to do a proper barrel for real bullets or even anything without premade uniform stock to cut /turn from.

Even the tooling will become extremely rare post-apo(al.

Or do you mean muskets, really really crappy gunz, LOL

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 17:46:20 »
In the US there are already significantly more guns than people. Armament would not be the limiting reagent.

Food, and even more importantly, clean water would be the keys to survival.

And our precious keyboards will be useless without electricity to run our computers.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 18:05:23 »
In the US there are already significantly more guns than people. Armament would not be the limiting reagent.

Food, and even more importantly, clean water would be the keys to survival.

And our precious keyboards will be useless without electricity to run our computers.
some would make a decent hammer lol

For my skills, was an automotive tech prior to getting into IT full time.  Have learned survival skills since I was a kid thanks to my uncle and the multiple backpacking trips across sections of the AT and Smokey Mountains.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 August 2023, 18:08:18 by Darthbaggins »

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 04:57:26 »
Being a chemist, I could dabble in making bombs... or drugs, I guess xD . Our lab would be a veritable treasure trove for making explosives, firebombs, and toxic weapons with. I know a good amount of survival tricks, as well.

Some other things as well, things like dealing with radiation hazards (if that's our end at least - I have a radiation safety diploma), and treating simple wounds (first aid diploma).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 05:46:23 »
NT do you actually have metal forging experience? Tp4 has made paintball guns before on cnc, but there'd be no way for Tp4 to do a proper barrel for real bullets or even anything without premade uniform stock to cut /turn from.

Even the tooling will become extremely rare post-apo(al.

Or do you mean muskets, really really crappy gunz, LOL

i could learn to weld lol

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 12:37:32 »

the AT and Smokey Mountains.

As a Tennessee native and lover of the Appalachian Mountains, I have to take issue here.
"Smoky" is an adjective and "Smokey" is a proper noun, eg Smokey the Bear.
https://www.thesmokies.com/smoky-or-smokey/

Also, "App-uh-latch-un" is what Southerners say, and "App-uh-LAY-shun" is what they say in the North.
https://thetrek.co/correct-pronunciation-appalachian/
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 12:40:40 »
Being a chemist, I could dabble in making bombs... or drugs, I guess xD . Our lab would be a veritable treasure trove for making explosives, firebombs, and toxic weapons with. I know a good amount of survival tricks, as well.

Some other things as well, things like dealing with radiation hazards (if that's our end at least - I have a radiation safety diploma), and treating simple wounds (first aid diploma).

What about fertalizers and water treament.

It's unlikely humanity will be fighting anything outside of disease, mutations and hunger.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 12:44:37 »

Also, "App-uh-latch-un" is what Southerners say, and "App-uh-LAY-shun" is what they say in the North.
https://thetrek.co/correct-pronunciation-appalachian/

Are you sure it's shhhh---un, and not chhhh-unn like check

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 15:30:25 »

shhhh---un, and not chhhh-unn

The "LAY" is the operative problem.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 16:47:24 »

What about fertalizers and water treament.

Yes, I could do both of them. Very basic chemistry.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 17:12:42 »
I have a knack for precisely measuring and shaping things by hand out of soft metal such as aluminium and zink alloy. That includes replicas of guns. Perhaps those could be applied to making/servicing real guns and other tools.
Unfortunately, advancing age has made me require using reading glasses for precise work, and those are perishable.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 05:55:30 »

shhhh---un, and not chhhh-unn

The "LAY" is the operative problem.

Which is why I call it the AT, avoids any issues lol. .

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 16:06:15 »
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Mandan

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 18:33:14 »
My "apocalypse skill" is 'doctor.'

I have reference material and basic equipment.  It turns out that, without modern diagnostics and access to the industrial pharmacopia, doctoring becomes fairly simple.  You have no way to diagnose many conditions, and no way to deal with them anyway.

I had considered 'brewer', with a focus on distillation, but the equipment would be a hassle.

'Powder maker' would be the third one.  As in, black powder.  The process of making potassium nitrate from basic materials is stinky and disgusting, but on the other hand, it helps deal with sanitation problems.