Author Topic: Mousepad recommendation  (Read 8937 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Mousepad recommendation
« on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:08:29 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:31:49 by alienman82 »

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
Re: Mousepad recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:14:51 »
I'm using a SteelSeries QCK Heavy mousepad which I really enjoy.  I got it since it's very thick and comfortable to use so if you prefer cloth pads, then I'd recommend this one. 

More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:48:44 »
i've never used a full desk pad so I cant speak on that, but I do love my ~12x9" aluminum coated pad from RocketFish. It stays put on my desk. I've had it for years and it is easy to scrub clean if ever needed. I do a lot of graphics work and the surface gives me the detail i need. I also use a wacom cintiq quite a bit as well as other non-digital art stuff that a full desk pad would get in the way of since i'm constantly moving the keyboard up and out of my way. I'd love to try one one day though.
-Dana

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:51:42 »
Glorious PC Gaming Race

Have two of them (XL and L), they are stitched around the outside (so will not 'peel' over time)...fantastic!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:00:42 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:31:47 by alienman82 »

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:08:19 »
Glorious PC Gaming Race

Have two of them (XL and L), they are stitched around the outside (so will not 'peel' over time)...fantastic!

How clean do they stay/ how easy to clean?

Very clean, I mean provided you don't eat on them or anything, day to day use they don't really retain any 'dirt' at all and look fairly easy to clean (I have not had the need to).

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:09:01 »
Qck+ one of the smoothest mousepad I've ever used. But if you want something more luxurious you could get artisan mousepad but the price is too high for a mousepad

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:23:40 »
QCK+ is great, lots of mouse room for low dpi, or arm rest for high dpi like me :p
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:06:26 »
I recommend the Steelseries Dex, which is a textured hybrid pad. It's slick, the edges don't fray since they're heat bonded to the rubber base, and it looks infinitely better on your desk than a standard cloth mat.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:51:37 »
i got a XXXXL corepad deskpad (1200 x 600 x 3.0 mm / 47.20 x 23.60 x 0.1 in)
i've used it for.. well, damn, i don't even know anymore. 3+ years by now?
thing is still in excellent shape.
of course it attracts dust and skin-cells like every other cloth mat, so it's up to you how often you clean it(wipe it down).
but all you really need is a little bit of warm water + something like microfiber to clean it. very little water is needed.
i wipe mine down about 2 times a month (only mouse- and keyboard areas). and once a year, i clean the whole thing.

i have a func f-series 10 (plastic pad) and its durability is great.
what i personally don't like about it is that it is so smooth, that i actually have to 'hold back' when i move my mouse around. meaning that the pad itself provides so little friction that you have to 'stop your mouse yourself', if that makes sense.
but what's obvious is that it lasts an incredibly long time without wearing down at all. and that's definitely one of its pros.
used it for 2+ years, there's no sign of wear.

i have an aluminium pad (alugraphics gamerpro xxl) as well. the thing is great, except for that some optical sensors do not track well on it. (the "maximum tracking speed" goes down a bit, for some optical mice.)
a downside might be, that the thing can get very cold (in winter). personally i am not bothered by it, though.
another thing to note is that it makes a lot of sound (a bit like a frosted glass pad) when moving a mouse over it. some people are annoyed by this sound/feel. there's a lot of friction with this pad, which is what causes this.
used for 3+ years, no sign of wear.

so, in terms of longevity, i can definitely recommend the func f-series 10 and the alugraphics gamerpro xxl.
they are also incredibly easy to clean (warm water + any simple piece of cloth cloth = easy 100% clean).

corepad deskpad means having a nice soft material for your arms, wrists and hands. nice bonus.
good tracking for any mouse.
very durable for a cloth mat. (but like any other cloth mat, it will wear out over time.)

to be clear: do not expect a cloth mat that stays clean. because they don't.
also, i play games frequently. if you do not, then some of the mentioned 'potential downsides' might not matter to you at all.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Connly33

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:57:01 »
I try to stay with mousepads where the edges are stitched if they are cloth so there is no chance of separation. I have used metal mouse pads, and in my experience they and the other rough textured hard mousepads eat the teflon pads on the mouse ( of course how much weight you put on your mouse is a huge factor, i tend to mouse quite heavily lol ) , which if you can get replacements for after a year or so, is no issue, glass feels okay but is a little to smooth for me, Right now on a generic smooth plastic mouse pad with a large cloth mousepad ( from Tek Syndicate) under my keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:58:59 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 22:58:05 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:29:59 by alienman82 »

Offline Connly33

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 23:01:16 »
I try to stay with mousepads where the edges are stitched if they are cloth so there is no chance of separation. I have used metal mouse pads, and in my experience they and the other rough textured hard mousepads eat the teflon pads on the mouse, which if you can get replacements for after a year or so, is no issue, glass feels okay but is a little to smooth for me, Right now on a generic smooth plastic mouse pad with a large cloth mousepad ( from Tek Syndicate) under my keyboard.

I might get a metal/glass, and if I hate it, I'll grab a glorious pc master race pad.

Personally metal is my favorite feel wise :p. I do want to grab one of the PC master race pads eventually because that price is pretty good and i only hear good thing's about them.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2016, 23:02:52 by Connly33 »

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 00:29:56 »
I try to stay with mousepads where the edges are stitched if they are cloth so there is no chance of separation. I have used metal mouse pads, and in my experience they and the other rough textured hard mousepads eat the teflon pads on the mouse, which if you can get replacements for after a year or so, is no issue, glass feels okay but is a little to smooth for me, Right now on a generic smooth plastic mouse pad with a large cloth mousepad ( from Tek Syndicate) under my keyboard.

I might get a metal/glass, and if I hate it, I'll grab a glorious pc master race pad.

Good decision :)

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 01:11:26 »
Had similar problems with wear and tear on every single fabric mouse pad I've ever owned. Picked up a Razer Destructor laminate mat, used if for an hour and promptly replaced all the remaining mousepads in my home, studio, and office with them. Couldn't' pay me enough to go back to fabric. Plus my cats would end up clawing the hell out of them when I'd go out of town...little ****ters.
More

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 01:55:51 »
If you are considering a glass/metal one, I have a razer aluminum pad I could part with.  I used it for a while but it doesn't fit in my keyboard tray as I can't set my keyboard on top of it. 

Or if you want something bigger, I could build you one.  Any size you want with a Cerakote finish for friction.  I made one for another member here that was 24"x18"x1/8" thick.  Granted he paid me $250 for it including shipping, but it is an option.  His was in the robins egg blue.  Fair warning he has told me that it chews through teflon mouse skates very quickly and his cheap mice don't track on it.  I feel this could be solved with going to a black instead of blue.  Also, I think the skate issue can be solved by using the heat cure instead of the room temp cure to even out the surface texture.

For reference.  http://imgur.com/a/4zzqB#0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 10:21:41 »
I prefer hard pads over cloth pads.
Hard pads are more durable, offer better mouse gliding due to less friction and are easy to clean.
The only downside is, you have to replace your mousefeet sooner or later becasue the hardpad is eating them away.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 10:56:52 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 16:28:18 by alienman82 »

Offline Connly33

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 13:45:59 »
If you are considering a glass/metal one, I have a razer aluminum pad I could part with.  I used it for a while but it doesn't fit in my keyboard tray as I can't set my keyboard on top of it. 

Or if you want something bigger, I could build you one.  Any size you want with a Cerakote finish for friction.  I made one for another member here that was 24"x18"x1/8" thick.  Granted he paid me $250 for it including shipping, but it is an option.  His was in the robins egg blue.  Fair warning he has told me that it chews through teflon mouse skates very quickly and his cheap mice don't track on it.  I feel this could be solved with going to a black instead of blue.  Also, I think the skate issue can be solved by using the heat cure instead of the room temp cure to even out the surface texture.

For reference.  http://imgur.com/a/4zzqB#0

If i had the money and there was a way to make the teflon pad eating less of an issue id deffinitly do it. I could always get a mouse that has teflon replacements readily available.

Offline Dodgy

• * Maker
  • I specialize in bird law.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:37:41 »
I love Artisan brand pads. I never thought I would ditch steelseries, but Artisan blows them out of the water.
Hi, what's your favorite color?
I'm making keycaps, take a look if you give a damn.
Sale Thread

Offline raymogi

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:45:44 »
My Steelseries XXL is starting to develop the same issue so now I'm trying the Glorious mousepad. It's supposed to have stitched edges to prevent the edges problem but we'll see.

I love Artisan brand pads. I never thought I would ditch steelseries, but Artisan blows them out of the water.

Do they have those super large mats? Been wanting to get an Artisan but all I see is normal mousepads.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2016, 17:47:18 by raymogi »
Please feed my addiction.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 18:17:59 »

My Steelseries XXL is starting to develop the same issue so now I'm trying the Glorious mousepad. It's supposed to have stitched edges to prevent the edges problem but we'll see.

Do they have those super large mats? Been wanting to get an Artisan but all I see is normal mousepads.

Their large is large (42x33 cm) but not super wide like those Razer extended ones.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 18:27:08 »
hard mats are not good for optical mouse? Right?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 06:46:11 »
hard mats are not good for optical mouse? Right?

(black) plastic mats are great for optical mice, actually :)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 15:36:33 »
Glass is fine for optical mice as well, as long as it has some sort of non-transparent coating on the bottom (like the Icemat/Steelseries Experience). I used to use an Icemat with a WMO for a long time.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:56:43 »
for control:artisan hien (mid hardness small size is my pref, i use this mat both work and home, i play sc2 which a control mat is good for)
for speed:artisan hayate
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:31:53 »
I have a Zowie GCM, used for 16 months straight and never had a problem.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:35:59 »
get the biggest mousepad.. that's pretty much it..

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:43:34 »
Artisan mousepad is the way to go :)

https://www.artisan-jp.com/all_eng.html
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline kekstee

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 04:25:48 »
The Steelseries ones are nice, but the edges will suffer over time.
I'm currently using a Zowie pad called 'ZOWIE G-TF Big Soft Surface Mousepad - Speed Version' back when I got it.
I couldn't really find that online, just as "Spawn" version with an additional logo. The current generation does have different sizes, but I just love the surface and build quality.