Author Topic: Saw Bladez.. !!  (Read 1773 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Saw Bladez.. !!
« on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 20:13:50 »
So..

Could get 1x combination blade for $50

or

1x  Ripping blade + 1x Crosscut blade  for $100

Also entertaining the idea of buying a second table saw and a second miter saw,   so, won't have to change blades..

Thoughts ?  Crazy ?  Too much saw ??

206750-0

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: Saw Bladez.. !!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 20:28:58 »
The 50 tooth combo will work for just about anything just fine. The only time I put a ripping blade on is when I’m ripping a lot of 8/4hardwood. It’s usually not necessary.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 20:40:58 »
The 50 tooth combo will work for just about anything just fine. The only time I put a ripping blade on is when I’m ripping a lot of 8/4hardwood. It’s usually not necessary.

Do you use a cross cut blade at all ? how critical is getting them magical 80 tooths.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 20:45:12 »
It’s slightly better for a miter saw or cutting melamine or thin surface  veneer plywood. If the blade has a very steep ATB profile it knives through the underside with minimum chipping ir splintering. Remember, the more teeth the more likely it will burn if your feed isn’t constant or if the wood binds the blade.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 21:11:42 »
It’s slightly better for a miter saw or cutting melamine or thin surface  veneer plywood. If the blade has a very steep ATB profile it knives through the underside with minimum chipping ir splintering. Remember, the more teeth the more likely it will burn if your feed isn’t constant or if the wood binds the blade.

The blades with them vibration laser cutouts are m0ar xpensive.. Do they actually produce better cuts,  ?

I have a hard time understanding how they figured out precisely what vibration frequency to target. and how they manage the range of that frequency  over different materials all in one blade..

Offline kurplop

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 00:48:25 »
They came out with the thin laser cuts that to replace the large holes formerly used. The large holes whistled at the 3450 rpm standard speed. The purpose of the cut is to allow expansion as the blade heats up, and the small holes at the ends are to prevent cracking. The more expensive blades also use better carbide and are better balanced. You can spend >$200.00 on a blade but I prefer using inexpensive Diablo blades until they dull then toss them.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 02:01:32 »
An obsession with saw blades? What are you, Super Meat Boy? :p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 05:07:00 »
They came out with the thin laser cuts that to replace the large holes formerly used. The large holes whistled at the 3450 rpm standard speed. The purpose of the cut is to allow expansion as the blade heats up, and the small holes at the ends are to prevent cracking. The more expensive blades also use better carbide and are better balanced. You can spend >$200.00 on a blade but I prefer using inexpensive Diablo blades until they dull then toss them.

I know the outer holes are expansion holes..

The inner holes they say are the vibration dampening holes..  how do these work..  or is it both.

Offline kurplop

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 05:48:11 »
I’m not sure. Maybe the disparity between the number of slots vs. the number of large gullets prevent standing waves. I do know that a heated blade without adequate stress relief will expand any way it can and that results in a wavy, wobbly blade which increases the kerf size. I see this a lot cutting concrete dry. The blade can temporarily warp so much that it will get stuck in the cut until it cools.

Thin kerf blades, like the Diablo pictured above, use less power but are intrinsically more subject to warping because of their thinner cross-section.