Author Topic: Payment and buyer protection.  (Read 2791 times)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Payment and buyer protection.
« on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 22:14:31 »
Hi GH, I'm buying a kustom off of mechmarket and this is the first time I'm dropping upwards of a grand on a keyboard. Seller wants to invoice me on paypal for payment. My question is that in the event that he disappears without sending my board, will I be able to get my money back?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Payment and buyer protection.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 22:40:09 »
Hi GH, I'm buying a kustom off of mechmarket and this is the first time I'm dropping upwards of a grand on a keyboard. Seller wants to invoice me on paypal for payment. My question is that in the event that he disappears without sending my board, will I be able to get my money back?

Yes,  if it's through paypal you can file a claim and get your money back provided there is good evidence that he somehow stiffed you and did not send the board..

Have him take some pictures of the whole process..  and keep all paperwork.

Make sure to spell out clearly what the transaction is for on the invoice and payment..

ALSO  ASK AROUND Geekhack..  about the person you intend to buy from,  make sure he's got a good reputation around here. 

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 23:33:26 »

Yes,  if it's through paypal you can file a claim and get your money back provided there is good evidence that he somehow stiffed you and did not send the board..

Have him take some pictures of the whole process..  and keep all paperwork.

Make sure to spell out clearly what the transaction is for on the invoice and payment..

ALSO  ASK AROUND Geekhack..  about the person you intend to buy from,  make sure he's got a good reputation around here. 

thanks dear

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 23:39:33 »
Honestly take paypal buyer protection with a grain of salt, its a mixed bag at best. Once you open a claim it has 30days before its closed then your SOL cause your buyer protection is just gone. I also seen some pretty mixed reviews about people having issues with paypal are being given the run around etc etc. Remember that you open a claim then its up to paypal if you get your money back. There is a chance they won't refund you dime if things go south. There equal chance they might refund you everything thought. I guess just depends but I know there buyer protection seems to look best on paper and flimsy when needed off.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 00:12:01 »
paypal is usually legit i wouldn't worry about it, i've seen people getting burned by the paypal protection system but paypal is really what most people end up using and there's a very very small chance you'll end up in a situation like that

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 07:02:06 »
I trust Paypal. My experience has been that they side with the buyer more often than with the seller, and no system is perfect.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"