Author Topic: What scared you as a kid? (Happy Halloween)  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
What scared you as a kid? (Happy Halloween)
« on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 02:46:20 »
happy Halloween everybody :)

While I'm not the biggest fan of the festival itself, I love celebrating spooky stuff this october.

So what scared you as a kid that scared you especially bad (I think people call it childhood trauma from media, but that seems a bit much)

I'll Start, keep in mind this was all when I was around 8-11.

I went into this restaurant and it has this kids place where they had a tv showing music videos, it was around Halloween and one of the videos they showed was Micheal Jackson's thriller. This video scared the **** out of me as a kid, very cool piece of media looking back at it.

This aids ad scared me so bad I would have nightmares every night for a while, and would be scared I would die when I would go outside. This was at a museum that I went to on a holiday program thing at a school. Weirdly enough it's from the 80s which I had no idea, I saw it around 2012-2013.

And The Simpsons Treehouse of horror also scared me as well. Specifically the one where the Bart is on the bus and there is a gremlin creature attacking him, and the one where Skinner decides to cook and eat the students, those were the ones I remember but I was feel unnerved any time the episodes came on. Treehouse of horror is something I love though, the most recent one was actually pretty good and the classic simpsons ones are some of my favourite horror pieces.

Offline Findecanor

Re: What scared you as a kid? (Happy Halloween)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 08:21:29 »
The first Alien movie. My dad was a journalist who wrote about movies and he had exposed me to many magazines and videos about how special effects were made, so I was very aware that it was all fake ... but I still couldn't go to sleep that night.

An older boy had told me that there could be giant spiders in the toilet, and for a while I was quite cautious of the toilet bowl.

BTW. The gremlin on the bus in the Simpsons is a pastiche of an episode of The Twilight Zone. Several Treehouse of Horror episodes are.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 09:39:59 »
I was super into dinosaurs and ancient life (still am) and my dad decided to take me to a special event at the museum where they had a bunch of lifelike animatronic dinosaurs. We walked in, I saw some sort of sauropod, it moved and made a loud noise, I started crying and ran into the parking lot...

I also had to be carried around with my face buried in someone's shoulder when we would go into a Halloween store and could not open my eyes until we got out. My parents found this out after I ran into another parking lot after going into one.

I absolutely loved AvP and Alien though!
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 October 2023, 09:42:21 by mohawk1367 »
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 12:49:21 »
Nice try NSA, you will not use my fears against me.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 17:13:08 »
I was fearless as a child, to a fault. I'd get hurt often, and often find myself in stupid and totally avoidable situations.

Now I am afraid of nearly everything. I barely ever even leave the house or take any chances at all. Paralyzed with fear, if you will.

I wonder what happened to make me like this?  :confused:

Offline KeyGeak

• Keygeak
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 21:09:10 »
I can't remember very clearly, but when I was a child, I used to have a dream where there was another me somewhere, sometimes outside a window, sometimes under the bed, sometimes on a playground on the other side of the Earth. Every time I had this dream, I would be frightened awake, but I can't remember the specific details anymore :eek:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 October 2023, 22:22:13 »
The Leprechaun... I could not sleep for 2 years

Offline iri

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 14:18:34 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 16:35:06 »
Spiders. Not much else. Grew up with horror films from a very early age.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 17:12:00 »
Very interesting to read all of the this, I'll say another one (I was scared of a lot of things as a child)

The chucky doll was so scary to me, I hated that god damn doll, saw the movies a while later, they were all kinda bad and stupid. The concept of chucky scared me far more than those films ever could.

BTW. The gremlin on the bus in the Simpsons is a pastiche of an episode of The Twilight Zone. Several Treehouse of Horror episodes are.

It took me ages to realise this, even after I had watched the original episode of the twilight zone a while back. I've probably should've known earlier since the title of that segment was "terror at 5 1/2 feet" lol

Nice try NSA, you will not use my fears against me.

lol

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 06:53:21 »

what are spiders like in NEDERLAND

i assume they arent anything too different from the ones where i am (cus cold europe) but idk.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 09:51:43 »

what are spiders like in NEDERLAND

i assume they arent anything too different from the ones where i am (cus cold europe) but idk.
Nothing special. Outside mostly garden spiders, inside mostly cellar spiders and house spiders. The house spiders are the biggest ones, they look pretty gnarly, but nothing to be worried about.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 10:25:43 »

The first Alien movie. My dad was a journalist who wrote about movies and he had exposed me to many magazines and videos about how special effects were made, so I was very aware that it was all fake ... but I still couldn't go to sleep that night.

An older boy had told me that there could be giant spiders in the toilet, and for a while I was quite cautious of the toilet bowl.

First nightmares I remember had the xenomorph in them.  It would always come out of the closet with the little mucus covered second head coming out of it's mouth. 

I also was raised on horror movies.  Dawn of the Dead was pretty scary for a 4 year old.  Same for Evil Dead series.

I was afraid of the dark.  My mother lived out in the woods at least 20 min from civilization.  I knew that if I went outside at night I would surely see Freddy Krueger or a brain eater. 

Actually, it was this ****er right here that scared the **** out of me. 
303889-0

TLDR: Scared of the dark.  Scared b/c of horror movies.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 November 2023, 10:27:26 by pixelpusher »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 11:03:49 »

pretty scary for a 4 year old.

Holy ****!
We worked hard to keep our kids away from any scary stuff for as long as we had the power to do it. Neither my ex nor I have any affinity for "fright" experiences.

Harry Potter was really the first thing that really scared them, and they were well into grade school by then.
Now they both consider scary movies stupid and without value. Mission accomplished.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 12:23:03 »

pretty scary for a 4 year old.

Holy ****!
We worked hard to keep our kids away from any scary stuff for as long as we had the power to do it. Neither my ex nor I have any affinity for "fright" experiences.

Harry Potter was really the first thing that really scared them, and they were well into grade school by then.
Now they both consider scary movies stupid and without value. Mission accomplished.

Similar in our family.  Our son is 14 and has hardly ever seen a movie I would consider "scary"  I do remember when he was 10 or 11 and he got really scared watching the original Jaws.   :)  This Halloween we watched what I would consider mildly scary movies and he was bored with them.  Glad he didn't go through what I did.   :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 12:44:38 »
Similar in our family.  Our son is 14 and has hardly ever seen a movie I would consider "scary"  I do remember when he was 10 or 11 and he got really scared watching the original Jaws.   :)  This Halloween we watched what I would consider mildly scary movies and he was bored with them.  Glad he didn't go through what I did.   :p

Is he on that ticktock? They do alot of quick jump scare stuff.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 12:45:29 »

got really scared watching the original Jaws.

My sister was almost 20 when Jaws came out, and she has never waded into the ocean deeper than her knees ever again, even though we have vacationed at the beach many times since.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 12:49:49 »

quick jump scare

Then this will be what you want:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 12:58:31 »
Tried watching Meg multiple times, couldn't get through it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 13:11:06 »

couldn't get through it.

The rest of it blew after that big scene.