Author Topic: Plans for ma QFR :)  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Narcix

Plans for ma QFR :)
« on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:37:14 »
Heya, since before the end of the summer i'll buy a quickfire rapid (unbranded one hopefully), i started thinking to the keycaps ill replace....standard ones are ugly, so here's what i'm planning:
- MKC Flaming Skull 3D Anodized Aluminum R4 or something like that for esc key
- KBC Yellow PBT Top-Printed 37-Keyset, not sure if yellow, pink or purple
- 3 starcraft keycaps (terran, protoss, zerg)
- Backlit keys for scroll lock and win lock
- MKC "geekhack" 3D Anodized Aluminum Backspace cos its damn cool
- more additions in da future
i think it'll take me quite a few months to get them all, but hopefully it'll look like a beast :)
any suggestions? did i make any mistakes/selected uncompatible keycaps? ty :)
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline dadgh

Re: Plans for ma QFR :)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:37:58 »
Unicorn Vomit!

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:42:00 »
Interesting plans, all the stuff you mentioned should work fine. You planning to paint the case?
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Narcix

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:28:26 »
Interesting plans, all the stuff you mentioned should work fine. You planning to paint the case?
i think i wouldnt be able to do that D:

Offline Rafen

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:33:03 »
It's not hard,  painted my QFR about a week ago. Just follow the instructions and take your time and it will turn out looking amazing.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 14:43:32 »
It's not hard,  painted my QFR about a week ago. Just follow the instructions and take your time and it will turn out looking amazing.
I think that i'll be fine with the standard grey, but maybe in the future....who knows.... :)
also, i might get a 37 key set from wasdkeyboards, but i dunno if it'll be better with laster etching or engraving....

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 14:49:57 »
Thought about painting my QFR too but I went ahead and bought some vinyl wrap on ebay last night instead.  Going to see how that turns out and ill post some pics when I get it done and receive my new keycaps as well.  If it doesn't work out maybe I'll think about painting or getting into the groupbuy for the acrylic  case.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 17:05:33 »
When you finish it, make sure to post pictures here :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 17:19:45 »
And here  ;D
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 17:34:17 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Narcix

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 04:39:36 »
Dreams, just fkin dreams. I feel retarded for thinking i could do this. The qfr i had to buy from the usa would cost me more than 100€, and i cant do that cos of a few settings of ma paypal account. SO i have 2 options: get the one with italian layout and blacks (hyperbranded one), or just stick with the qfire pro with reds, which i dont like. yay, fking hate living in italy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 04:56:12 »
QRF with MX blacks has a silver case top.

You can get a replacement unbranded case top, or actually the branding is not really that obvious.

If you plan on replacing the keycaps anyway, you shouldn't notice the two logos on the case much.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 05:08:13 »
QRF with MX blacks has a silver case top.

You can get a replacement unbranded case top, or actually the branding is not really that obvious.

If you plan on replacing the keycaps anyway, you shouldn't notice the two logos on the case much.
ye problem is that i don't like blacks, nor the italian layout (short left shift, big enter key)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 05:33:37 »
Ah, yes, that would be a slight problem, or rather two more problems on top of preferring a non-branded case.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 05:41:17 »
Ah, yes, that would be a slight problem, or rather two more problems on top of preferring a non-branded case.
another problem: i'd have to pay a ****ton even for keycaps....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 05:42:35 »
Tell me about it!

I've just had 3 GBs invoicing at the same time, plus a few extra novelty caps.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 05:55:55 »
Tell me about it!

I've just had 3 GBs invoicing at the same time, plus a few extra novelty caps.
the keycap price itself isnt a problem, but there are dem taxes(20%), shipping and added shipping costs. once a friend of mine bought a pair of headphones from amazon.com (60€), and with all that **** it costed him 120...

Offline Narcix

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 06:18:34 »
maybe the only way is getting a 60%
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 July 2013, 06:24:35 by Narcix »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 09:10:14 »
You can get the shipping weight of a QFR under 4 lbs, so if there's a sale in the US (or you buy a lightly used one) it can be shipped to italy for about $35. In total (not counting VAT or whatever) could be less than $90 (90 USD is 68 euro). VAT would depend on the declared value of course, and I don't know what customs fees would be.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 22:37:09 »
How did I know I would see Photoelectric in this post. ;)

Good luck with your board. Pictures or it didn't happen.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 02:23:09 »
How did I know I would see Photoelectric in this post. ;)

Good luck with your board. Pictures or it didn't happen.
prolly it won't happen, i'll buy a new gpu for christmas so no keycaps for a while :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 06:54:18 »
instead of this, you should plan on an ergodox. :D

Offline Narcix

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:32:43 »
mmmhhh....yes.....so sexy....
if it'll still exist when ill get da moneeh stay sure ill instabuy it and join ur trolldox crusade!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:38:36 by Narcix »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 16:59:37 »
if it'll still exist when ill get da moneeh stay sure ill instabuy it and join ur trolldox crusade!!!!!!!!!

Do whatever you have to, to go EDx

Lie, Cheat, Steal, Extort

Basically become a stock broker.

Offline Narcix

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 17:04:09 »

Do whatever you have to, to go EDx

Lie, Cheat, Steal, Extort

Basically become a stock broker.
omfg...i just realized everything.....in the last episode of breaking bad.....we'll discover that Walter White became a cook because he wanted an ergodox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!