Author Topic: W11 Rumor  (Read 4578 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
W11 Rumor
« on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 09:42:00 »
Some security core compromise occured with W10 after dat R| hax,  and they were forced to launch w11 ?

Any trut, to this ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: W11 Rumor
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 March 2022, 13:10:13 »
Doubtful.
W11 is mostly just 10 with a new UI, they could easily have back ported any changes and if it was such a major change that it necessitated an incompatible kernel it would take years and manufacturers and us would have known Win11 was coming as opposed to the last minute reveal it got.

W11 was a new UI intended for a dual screen laptop which failed miserably in user testing (who doesn't like typing on glass?), someone decided they could savage the UI changes by making a "new" OS and recover the development losses. While MS doesn't need a "new" OS, Win10 data harvesting makes them more than developing a new OS would, they already had the basis of it and computer manufacturers would obviously welcome the boost in sales it would bring. It also allowed MS to put an end of life to Win10 and allow MS and manufacturers to dump a TON of legacy stuff, legacy stuff being anything more than few years old for Win11.

To a degree this isn't all bad.
While nice you can load Win7/8/10 onto things 10, 15, 20, maybe even 25 years old, it means drivers for those parts as well as workarounds to allow them to run efficiently. Those old systems lack many hardware optimizations, little onboard cache, less ram... It's difficult to take advantage of new tech while supporting old stuff well, we're really starting to see this ion the server space in regards to SSDs, the tricks used to help spinners feel fast actually cause SSDs to run slower. Unfortunately it also means more E-waste as these old machines get replaced and I do think Win 11 went way too extreme on requirements, even MS was selling incompatible machines when Win11 rolled out but I don't see a problem with ditching some much older stuff.

Linux gets around this because it's so customizable, you can build a lightweight system to run on a Pi or something with all the bells and whistles whereas Windows is a one size fits all.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 March 2022, 15:29:18 »
But then what did they mean when they said the R|Hax got into the backbone of our security infrastructure ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 March 2022, 19:22:18 »
But then what did they mean when they said the R|Hax got into the backbone of our security infrastructure ?
Unless they give a full accounting, you will never know and that is extremely unlikely due to lawyers and such.
You will know as little as they have to tell you and nothing more.

Oh, and new shots fired at older systems, and new systems...
Systems running Win11, legit or not that do not meet minimum spec for Win11 will now have a notice on the desktop just like unactivated copies. Gee, thanks Microsoft. Ms apologists are claiming it;s a good thing as it "stops shops from selling end of life hardware". Microsoft and MSI (and others) were selling brand new, modern computers that did not meet Win11 specs on announcement day.

Again I agree with obsoleting legacy stuff, but some of these systems are brand new.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 09:17:02 »

Systems running Win11, legit or not that do not meet minimum spec for Win11 will now have a notice on the desktop just like unactivated copies.

Windows 10 Update gives me a message:
"This PC doesn't currently meet the minimum system requirements to run Windows 11"

I have been assuming that this is good, and I will continue to receive 10 updates and 11 will not be forced on me. My desktop system is only 2 years old and fairly strong, so I can't see that it is very far below spec.

Are you saying that Windows 11 will eventually install itself against my will and then "self-cripple"?

And then my Lenovo T440p is over 8 years old (with a new SSD about 3 years ago). Will I soon be forced to wipe Windows off of it altogether and go to Linux Mint full-time?

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 10:40:50 »
I have been assuming that this is good, and I will continue to receive 10 updates and 11 will not be forced on me. My desktop system is only 2 years old and fairly strong, so I can't see that it is very far below spec.

Are you saying that Windows 11 will eventually install itself against my will and then "self-cripple"?
This is a desktop watermark, similar to the annoying one in Win10 saying Windows isn't activated.

Will they ever push win11 onto yours?
Probably not, but I wouldn't put it past them to put a desktop watermark on Win10 saying it doesn't meet specs to try and convince you to replace it. You may not fall for it but a lot of people will.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 11:13:34 »
Will I soon be forced to wipe Windows off of it altogether and go to Linux Mint full-time?
Why wait to be "forced" to use a better system?  If you have Mint use it :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 11:59:55 »

If you have Mint use it

I do, part-time, and now that I have retired I don't have to worry about compatibility with the "work-related" environment the only restraint is momentum. I have decades of experience and TBs of data oriented to the M$ ecosystem and I feel like I need to sift through it to understand what I have and how to better organize it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 16:03:26 »
After living with the Hell that is Win10 I will be 100% moving to a Linux based OS next time I need to upgrade my OS.

Microsoft ended our relationship when they decided to make Win10 ignore my update preferences, take them when I explicitly said not to, constantly reset my computer overnight to take said updates while compiling software was running thus ruining all my work probably 40-60x over the years at least, and disabling my internet when I refuse to reset to take an update essentially holding my pc hostage until I take the update I told my pc not to take.

Eat **** Microsoft, we are done here, ya blew it.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 18:16:36 »
Will I soon be forced to wipe Windows off of it altogether and go to Linux Mint full-time?
Why wait to be "forced" to use a better system?  If you have Mint use it :thumb:

In the case of an OS upgrade/change it's even more important to learn while things are fine, you don't want to be fighting a hardware upgrade or system change while also learning a new OS if you can help it. You won't know if the problem is you, the new part/system or the OS. I get not wanting to disturb something that works, but it really is the best time to learn something new because you eliminate variables.

And start early.
For those wishing to change, switch to open source stuff NOW, if you can, switch to open source stuff like Libreoffice as opposed to Office. If you switch to open source software first your transition will be far less drastic and you can even just migrate your data. This means, as before, you're only then dealing with the OS itself, which can fall into the background and you're using familiar programs. Just makes it far more simple, this is why I can easily switch between Mac, Windows and Linux, the OS changes but the programs remain the same. My work flow is almost undisturbed regardless of the OS, except in Windows, my got that system nags you to death.

For those programs you cannot, this is what I did...
I used a virtual machine in Windows and used that to try and get the required stuff working in WINE or PlayOnLinux, if absolutely necessary I could also use a virtual machine but my goal was avoid that. I had two big hurdles, the first was Photoshop, I still use an older CS6 copy, but it works fine, I can get later versions running but it just adds more and more creative cloud garbage. The second hold out was C&C Red Alert 2 which I played a lot of at the time, once I got that running I was golden. Everything else was already open source for me.  As you figure things out, TAKE NOTES, make install guides, write it down, most Linux users I've met do this. My install guide is 7 pages, my troubleshooting guide is another 7 pages and they contain everything from install commands to how to fix commonly broken things so I don't have to look them up. I did this on mac and windows as well. If you have access to a non-critical system or laptop, stick Linux on that and test some more. Again, TAKE NOTES, they will save you so much headache later, even if you don't switch now, it saves you time and effort later if you do and lets you start where you left off.

Accept that you are on a new OS and it is NOT Windows.
There is no replacement for Windows, Windows is Windows. Early on you will complain "why did they not do it like Windows", because it's not Windows. If it was a clone of Windows why would you chose it over the real thing? Stop expecting it to be Windows or replace Windows. Accept that it's different, eventually you will start to see things where you scream at Windows for how it does things, or Mac and how it does things. They all have their good and bad points, but as a single OS user all your points are from one perspective, you think you see flaws in Windows now but really all you see is the pointed tips of the iceberg. There is so much more about Windows that is not good but you just don't know any different. Anyhow, consider this, it's not that Mac is that easy to switch to, it's that Mac users don't have the luxury of just switching back, they're forced to stick it out and learn or take back a very expensive piece of kit (sink or swim!), Linux users always have that easy choice to just switch back to what you know and you have to push through that urge to switch back and make it easy (dipping  toe). It's sort of like learning another language, if it's voluntary it's much harder than if everyone around you speaks that language and forces you to conform. Right now, you're trying to learn French in Southern California, few speak it so there's few to converse with and there's no one to drive you to learn it. Move to France and suddenly you're going to either learn real fast.

Lastly.
Accept that your Windows knowledge only travels so far in Linux (and Mac) and that it took you YEARS to become proficient with that OS, you will learn a new OS faster than the first, but you are starting from almost zero. You will feel stupid, you will get frustrated, you will break things, you're experience with your current OS gives you the confidence but combined with your lack of skills makes you dangerous. Don't expect to switch to Linux (or Mac or vice versa) and instantly be an expert or even an advanced user.

And that the more experience you have, the more of a power user you are, the harder it will be to switch, not easier.
Most people are not happy with a new OS/phone tablet, any tech until they reach parity with what they already have, someone who is not a master in Windows will adapt quick and easy, they roll with it because they quickly reach their parity compared to Windows, if you don't know how to change wallpaper in Windows you won't care if you can't In Linux either. You quickly reach parity because parity has such a low bar. An experience user however has a much higher barrier to get over, you want to know how to change wallpaper, control updates, set resolution, change fonts and icons and you expect to do it NOW. Not after having to Google it and that's just the start.

Don't get frustrated.

P.S.
Yes, it's worth doing.
You have no idea how tight the shackles of Windows really are until you are free of them even if only to return later with more knowledge.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 March 2022, 18:24:15 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 09:25:30 »
im just going to full out avoid windows updates for now, win11 so far is pretty weird and a lot of times whenever i do update i get another issue with my PC