Author Topic: A Shaky start II  (Read 1391 times)

Offline basix

A Shaky start II
« on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 13:09:59 »
Posted this in introductions but maybe better here. (edited version)

As a means of introduction what drew me to this forum was my search for a keyboard that would be conducive to shaky hands.
I can no longer touchtype but am reduced more to pecking with my right hand while tapping a few keys QWASZX etc. with my left had braced steady on the left side.
  What I was wondering (Because I often double-hit a key on the membrane keyboards) would a mechanical keyboard with a heavier actuation weight and longer distance help prevent the accidental double tapping (actually, more like grazing). I did try Cherry MX blues once and it seemed to help but the keys still seemed a bit wobbly. I was wondering if 'greens' or 'blacks' improve matters. Also do some of the MKs have larger key caps than others? I've read 'no' but the appearance on some of the 60% and 40% seem to appear larger. Probably an optical illusion lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: A Shaky start II
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 20:39:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Given that I have the opposite problem - if I use a keyboard with light keys like MX red or blue, I tend to get lots of unintended adjacent keypresses, especially if I am not concentrating.

Hence why I prefer stiffer switches, such as MX blacks, greens and clears.  Or buckling springs.

So you could find stiffer switches beneficial.

With custom switches there is not really any upper limit on how stiff they can get.  Super-blacks, anyone?  But you don't want to suffer fatigue while typing, which might make your condition worse, or at least less bearable.

Nearly all MX-based keyboards have a standard spacing for the switches, and thus a more-or-less standard size for the keycaps, and gaps between them.

Some keycaps have a flatter upper surface, but tend to be a bit closer together as a result.  The conventional cylindrical keycaps are tapered slightly at the top, to make the upper face of the individual keycaps appear slightly further apart.

Given that there are so many combinations of switches and keycaps available, are you in a position to attend a local meetup, where you will probably be able to try a variety of keyboards to see if you can find one that really suits you?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline basix

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 23:30:50 »
@rowdy, thanks for the info. That was my hunch, stiffer switches=less accidental key entries.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 23:50:33 »
True, my blues are ~65g but even after a year of adjusting to the activation 'bump' I still just squish them down.  I've read that clears are good for this.. though those Super Blacks are intriguing.. 150g.. hmmm..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 06:30:13 »
Part of the journey is developing -that light touch-

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 04:33:01 »
I can no longer touchtype but am reduced more to pecking with my right hand while tapping a few keys QWASZX etc. with my left had braced steady on the left side... What I was wondering (Because I often double-hit a key on the membrane keyboards) would a mechanical keyboard with a heavier actuation weight and longer distance help prevent the accidental double tapping...

Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty. MX Greens are worth a try, though—they're good and hefty, and will make your MX Blues feel like toys.

In case it helps, the good peeps at Mechanical Keyboards offers a choice of MX colors on most of their Ducky boards. Ducky's a good, solid make that's been around a long time, and isn't quite as pricey as some of the other more status-heavy MK marques. Good luck!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg