Author Topic: Whether typist never RSI?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Whether typist never RSI?
« on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:43:37 »
I never saw typist RSI even the old typist with a fairly heavy acutation(use typwriter) but no news whether they ever RSI or not!
like now sean wrona and old typist(use typewriter even stiffer than blacks switches)

how do you think?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2013, 11:34:14 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline kps

Re: Whether typist never RSI?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 11:24:46 »
Some possiblities:
  • better posture and wrist position
  • softer landing on keystrokes
  • more variation (carriage return bar, changing paper, etc.)
  • mice
  • nobody cared about low-paid women's problems

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 11:54:04 »
  • mice

This reason alone is the bane of my RSI issues.  I have no problems if I can contain myself to strictly keyboard input.  Granted, I will notice some flare-ups if I use heavier switches (clears, panda clears).

Mice, though, cause me daily grief with my neck/shoulder.

Also, multiple monitors are becoming more of a norm, now.  Craning our necks to view between multiple 20+" monitors instead of a single screen (or document if we're going back to typewriter days) can keep added stress on your posture and neck.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2013, 11:56:41 by wiredPANDA »
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 13:55:23 »
I agree about the mice. I've been using computers for probably less than a decade, so a lot less than most of the members here, and using the mouse ALWAYS gives me a small amount of pain throughout use.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:06:45 »
Amazing how many keyboard commands you can learn when you're motivated to remove that annoying hindrance of the mouse.  Always hate when web sites/apps don't follow standard keyboard entry to navigate, or they screw up the tab order between sections, so horribly, that it's unusable.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:13:23 »
Amazing how many keyboard commands you can learn when you're motivated to remove that annoying hindrance of the mouse.  Always hate when web sites/apps don't follow standard keyboard entry to navigate, or they screw up the tab order between sections, so horribly, that it's unusable.

Linux + Ratpoison + Chrome + Vimium = score
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline hoggy

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:27:55 »
Some possiblities:
  • better posture and wrist position
  • softer landing on keystrokes
  • more variation (carriage return bar, changing paper, etc.)
  • mice
  • nobody cared about low-paid women's problems
Plus longer than key travel.
The slope of the keys prevents resting the wrists on the desk.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 00:42:42 »
Most people with RSI, have improper technique

sit Higher so that your elbow hang on your shoulders,

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 01:21:23 »
My tips: Never rest your wrists on a wrist rest (that can interfere with circulation), and don't use the riser feet found on most keyboards. Keep it as flat as possible so your wrists are level and the hands don't bend back. I've worked with a keyboard just about every day for 30+ years now, and no problems... knock on wood.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 02:12:11 »
My tips: Never rest your wrists on a wrist rest (that can interfere with circulation), and don't use the riser feet found on most keyboards. Keep it as flat as possible so your wrists are level and the hands don't bend back. I've worked with a keyboard just about every day for 30+ years now, and no problems... knock on wood.

well, it's not absolutly necessary to NOT use a wrist rest,

If it's only "mild typing" then it's fine.

But if you're working for HOURS, then you must move onto proper technique

Offline Topre

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 04:18:53 »

A wrist rest should only be used for the palms. It only interferes with circulation if the wrist is really rested on it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 04:51:17 »

On that note, would you advocate the use of DSA keycaps too?  To make a flat board, as opposed to the rising profile of, say, DCS?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 03:04:56 »

On that note, would you advocate the use of DSA keycaps too?  To make a flat board, as opposed to the rising profile of, say, DCS?

Makes no difference.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 00:40:23 »

The issue is that your hand and forearm should be aligned straight through. If your hands are angled backward at all, that puts strain on the ligaments going through the carpal tunnel and can lead to RSI. So the caps themselves shouldn't matter, but just check your hand and wrist position for proper alignment.