Author Topic: Rookie considering ErgoDox  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Kozu

Rookie considering ErgoDox
« on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:17:18 »
Hello everyone,

I went here to seek some help and advice. I'm a Software Engineer (to-be) recently started using Emacs.

I love Emacs, but I must admit it really puts some strain on the fingers (yes, I have remapped ctrl -> caps lock). My left thumb is having issues hitting the cmd-key (meta key). The current keyboard I'm using is an Apple Chiclet board, and I have never used a mechanical keyboard professionally. Until now, I have actually been pretty happy with this chiclet board... and the reason why I actually turned to chiclet was more due to the flat design (and fast "feedback", as in bottoming out). Mechanical keyboards have always in my mind been these annoying curving keyboards, that made your fingers feel like they were climbing stairs. But after I have been lurking here for some time, I can see I've been so wrong.

Anyhow, this is my questions:

1. On the massdrop page, it says blue is the best for typing... but mentions noise. How bad is this noise when sitting in an open office space?
2. What switches should I go for? From what I read the clear and blues are the best suiting for typing.
3. How mobile is the ErgoDox? When it comes to backpacks.
4. Casing... Which one should I go for? is the "full hand" usable without creating some custom pad? or no-matter the case should I get a pad for the wrist?

Thanks a lot

Offline thebeargentile

Re: Rookie considering ErgoDox
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:29:42 »
Can't speak to the ErgoDox since I don't have one yet, but I have been using a Kinesis Advantage at work, and mapped the control key to where the delete key is on the default Ergodox layout, and have been very pleased with the results. 

Switch type is largely personal preference, I will say that in my opinion blues are too loud for most office environments, but the other types will also be loud, relatively speaking, if you bottom your keys out, but it largely depends on your coworkers as to if it will be a problem or not.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:30:40 »
1. On the massdrop page, it says blue is the best for typing... but mentions noise. How bad is this noise when sitting in an open office space?
2. What switches should I go for? From what I read the clear and blues are the best suiting for typing.

There's no best switch for something. In other words, it's entirely matter of personal preference.

I don't think blues are a good idea for open space. Not that open space has ever been a good idea by itself.

3. How mobile is the ErgoDox? When it comes to backpacks.

Not nearly as portable as 75% or 60% keyboards, but better than a full-size keyboard.

4. Casing... Which one should I go for? is the "full hand" usable without creating some custom pad? or no-matter the case should I get a pad for the wrist?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47142.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 15:24:35 »
I would not consider the Ergodox is travel friendly because the ports are rather fragile at stock configuration

NOW.... if you Reinforce the ports with epoxy or gorilla-glue, then it should be plenty safe for travel :D

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 15:35:43 »
I would not consider the Ergodox is travel friendly because the ports are rather fragile at stock configuration

NOW.... if you Reinforce the ports with epoxy or gorilla-glue, then it should be plenty safe for travel :D

If you break an ERGODOX, you need to show some more respect.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:51:20 »

If you break an ERGODOX, you need to show some more respect.

or epoxy..  :D

Offline pocketdrummer

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 00:25:35 »
Is there something less permanent than epoxy for securing those ports?

Offline hoggy

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 01:41:49 »
Perhaps a pelican case? I don't know if there's a model that would be a good fit.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 02:04:30 »
I do not understand the issue with the ports.
won't it be fine if you unplug the cables first before travel?

Offline pocketdrummer

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 04:31:03 »

I'm guessing long-term wear and tear unplugging and plugging.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 04:37:09 »

I'm guessing long-term wear and tear unplugging and plugging.

if they wear out you can just replace them.
that is what makes this so great.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 04:48:34 »

Did you just say something about the ergodox that is not positive?......

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 09:33:38 »
Just traveled with my ErgoDox. It held up fine. Just don't stick it in a bag that's getting checked.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 09:49:29 »

Really if you just don't leave things in the ports in your bag it's fine. I consider it more protable than a tkl.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:06:03 »
The blues I used at work were noticed by others, but no one complained.  You could get clears, put in new springs and try the Ergo clear switch.

The Ergodox is quite portable.  I just took the full hand on a plane trip.  I got another Ergodox with the classic case for portability.

I can use the full hand without any extra palm rest.  Not a problem at all.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline nomaded

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:17:35 »
I can use the full hand without any extra palm rest.  Not a problem at all.

Do you use anything to tent the full hand? At first, I was thinking about using it flat on a desk, but after some reading, I think maybe a small angle would work. I was thinking a couple small ramps made of wood.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:49:36 »
not sure but I thought I would ask...
would it be possible to use the Kinesis Freestyle Ascent Multi-Tent - keyboard accessories kit with the ergodox?

one might be able to drill the required holes to make it fit.

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KS&Product_Code=AC740-blk&Category_Code=F2KBDMAC

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 16:40:11 »
Just traveled with my ErgoDox. It held up fine. Just don't stick it in a bag that's getting checked.

so you have gone through airport security with it? because of the design of the litster case i keep fearing it will look suspicious to tsa. i skipped packing in my recent flights. TSA here at my small Richmond airport are freaking nuts, they go off on everyone.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 00:59:02 »
Yeah unstuck it in my carry on laptop bag. TSA didn't so much as raise an eyebrow