Author Topic: X220 too slow to use 3DLut  (Read 2350 times)

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: X220 too slow to use 3DLut
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 21:01:08 »
time to let go and move on man

i'm sorry

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 21:09:33 »
time to let go and move on man

i'm sorry

I could not forsaken the x220.. it' too classic. !!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 21:11:02 »

it' too classic. !![/size][/color]

exactly my point

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 06:42:51 »

it' too classic. !![/size][/color]

exactly my point

/Medium-High Sadness

X220, closest thing (hardware) Tp4 has to a friend. 

Gekhak is friend (software)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 07:12:59 »
x220 too good to move on from.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 19:41:01 »
Honestly TP, after owning multiple 220s and using various models of Thinkpads, you could move to a X250 (get a 250, not 240) and get a pretty good experience as well. While not quite the same, the things they lose is made up for in other ways.

Why not a 240? The 250 can handle 16gigs ram and if you prefer the 240 trackpad, it's a bolt on mod.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 20:37:30 »
Honestly TP, after owning multiple 220s and using various models of Thinkpads, you could move to a X250 (get a 250, not 240) and get a pretty good experience as well. While not quite the same, the things they lose is made up for in other ways.

Why not a 240? The 250 can handle 16gigs ram and if you prefer the 240 trackpad, it's a bolt on mod.

Not sure I'd get another x2xx series laptop.

Ryzen is a very good mobile cpu because their performance per watt is equivalent/ better than intel.

Waiting for that to play out..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 20:56:03 »
Put a linux on it, and use it as an ssh/telnet terminal for your network :)
Chris Schammert

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 18:50:03 »
Jesus christ,  3DLut looks so good.. I can't believe I've ignored this for 10 years.

Ya'll gotta try this.. !!

A 3DLut (look up table) is a significantly more accurate color correction.

Windows and typical programs only support 1D Lut which is a matrix math transformation (linear algebra)

A 3DLut can accurately describe a NON-Linear transformation.

The reason for this is, The physical response of a monitor is Non-Linear.

So for any professional Color matching/mastering, peeps calibrate with a 3DLut

1DLut takes care of whitepoint, contrast, brightness

3DLut takes into account the color volume of the device

VS

194585-1

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 20:29:13 »
What's the resolution of your 3D lut and intended purpose? What is desired color space? Is you X220 capable of displaying that colorspace?

I've never seen anything larger than 33x33x33 used in professional video workflows. Those tend to be pretty light and easy to use. The large it goes, the greater the amount of processing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 21:00:48 »
What's the resolution of your 3D lut and intended purpose? What is desired color space? Is you X220 capable of displaying that colorspace?

I've never seen anything larger than 33x33x33 used in professional video workflows. Those tend to be pretty light and easy to use. The large it goes, the greater the amount of processing.

I'm using displaycal , it creates a 65x65x65 3dlut that rides ontop of the Vcgt calibration.

This is for playback in Madvr, I think it has to be pretty large, because they're dithering downwards to get a more precise picture.

Input space is Rec709 which is ~sRGB.

The X220 screen can only do 66% of sRGB, but I have it docked to a Dell 2410 which itself is widegamut, and will do:
96% sRGB @ 70cd
98% @ 100cd
99% @ 120cd

Prior to this , I 'd known my u2410 default colors are wrong.. But I did not expect that it was THIS wrong....

But basically with the 3Dlut enabled.. it's dropping alot of frames on colorful scenes.. Sigh.... 

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 21:29:43 »

I'm using displaycal , it creates a 65x65x65 3dlut that rides ontop of the Vcgt calibration.

This is for playback in Madvr, I think it has to be pretty large, because they're dithering downwards to get a more precise picture.

Input space is Rec709 which is ~sRGB.

The X220 screen can only do 66% of sRGB, but I have it docked to a Dell 2410 which itself is widegamut, and will do:
96% sRGB @ 70cd
98% @ 100cd
99% @ 120cd

Prior to this , I 'd known my u2410 default colors are wrong.. But I did not expect that it was THIS wrong....

But basically with the 3Dlut enabled.. it's dropping alot of frames on colorful scenes.. Sigh.... 

The 3Dlut is effectively being used as a trim here. Just pulling at the gamut into its proper place. 65x65x65 lut is overkill for this purpose. Do you have the option in displaycal to cut that resolution in half? I suspect your performance will increase dramatically without a noticeable change in quality.

To put it into prospective, Luts with a resolution of 33 are most frequently used in professional film and video workflows. Often making much more dramatic shifts like from Logarithmic colorspaces to video or linear. Those are situations where resolution would matter more.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 22:07:14 »

The 3Dlut is effectively being used as a trim here. Just pulling at the gamut into its proper place. 65x65x65 lut is overkill for this purpose. Do you have the option in displaycal to cut that resolution in half? I suspect your performance will increase dramatically without a noticeable change in quality.

To put it into prospective, Luts with a resolution of 33 are most frequently used in professional film and video workflows. Often making much more dramatic shifts like from Logarithmic colorspaces to video or linear. Those are situations where resolution would matter more.

Yea, there's some talk about a smaller LUT option,  but the people on avsforum are spec-****s...

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 23:05:52 »

Yea, there's some talk about a smaller LUT option,  but the people on avsforum are spec-****s...

If you have the hardware, monitor/processing, then its fine. I wouldn't say there's a perceptual advantage but I can appreciate the mindfulness. Given your hardware and assuming your not using a klein probe or a $20k spectrometer, I think the 33xcube will be more than enough to cover your bases.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 23:18:19 »

If you have the hardware, monitor/processing, then its fine. I wouldn't say there's a perceptual advantage but I can appreciate the mindfulness. Given your hardware and assuming your not using a klein probe or a $20k spectrometer, I think the 33xcube will be more than enough to cover your bases.

Yea, they probably went with 65x65x65 because most gpus bench high enough to do it..

X220 is just too old with its integrated gpu..