Author Topic: Thoughts on facebook?  (Read 5979 times)

Offline rich1051414

Thoughts on facebook?
« on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 16:22:38 »
First, let me put some context on this before I get misunderstood. I am a full time computer programmer who specializes in server maintenance, app development, and general cross platform Java programming.

Some days I spend the day having a blast laughing at crazy paranoid conspiracy theorists talking out of their ass about how technology controls people like sheep and at their complete misunderstanding of what is profitable and what is even possible. Just because someone can do something does not mean they will. They must actually have a profitable reason for doing so in the first place.

With that out of the way, I also want to point out that not all of the crazy talk is ACTUALLY that crazy, some of it, sometimes, is actually founded in reality. For instance, I have black tape over the front camera on my phone because I morally object to advertisements physically looking at your reaction to ads, and yes, they actually do that, and no, they didn't ask your permission(well they did, if you read that 1000 page eula you just clicked accept on). It would also be sane to expect anyone to be able to exploit the functionality added for the benefit of those advertisers, so it would be foolish to only expect ads to be accessing your front facing camera without permission.

So to get back around to the reason I made this post, facebook. If you were to look up moral responsibility in the thesaurus, facebook would be listed as an antonym. What is even more twisted is all the ethical violations they do is not even necessarily relevant to 'can this idea make money', since the owner of the company sees facebook as having a 'greater purpose' than simply rolling in the money.

Don't get me wrong, Facebook cares about their money, and they wouldn't have a monopoly on social networking if they didn't, but it is Zuckerberg's purpose behind this ambition that I am referring to. He sees his purpose as being a pioneer into many studies that have not been possible before an entity such as facebook existed.

I would normally praise them for such a thing, however, not when the pursuit to fulfilling this purpose seems to reject all ethical consideration. This is because facebook has been used as a tool for studies in social behavior, a tool stronger than we have ever had. As great as that is, and I would totally be for it if they made sure people knew and agreed to it, but they don't go even close to far enough out of there way to do so.

One such study they did was research on the impact negative news has on someones behavior, if it would make them more negative, more positive, depressed, suicidal or whatever. Does anyone else find this completely and utterly unacceptable? People are not statistics, they are actual people with actual lives, made worse by experiments they didn't even know was being done to them.

They also give advertisers far too much power to target demographics in a far too precise manner. I don't want to get into it, but many people in the know know what that lead to, and how we will be paying for it for quite a number of years. The sheer shock in Zuckerberg's eyes talking about it says it all, but that shock I find insulting, as if he didn't have the moral backbone to think such things out before they backfired.

I am starting to rant now, but my point is that I have no facebook account, and as such, I am also unable to use a large percentage of the internet which requires facebook logins to use. Sometimes I feel like I am one of those creepy conspiracy theorists with how I go out of my way not to use facebook to my own detriment, but I feel I have good reason not to, and I wish there was a way I could express that to people without sounding like a conspiracy loon, because really, I am not.  I am actually a social guy, and I had facebook for many years and myspace before that. I would completely use facebook to stay connected with friends and family if not for the way they treat people behind their backs. Maybe one day, someone will swoop in and do facebook better than facebook while respecting their users as human beings, and not lab rats.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 16:49:58 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Thoughts on facebook?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 17:09:35 »
The negatives are overstated.

The purpose of society is synergism. But we are all individual humans without the ability to mind link.

Now we have that. the PRICE we pay MUST be individual privacy, and part of whatever advantage that afforded the individual.

The benefit to synergistic humans outweigh forcefully preserving the ENTIRETY of individuality and the individual's competitive edge (through keeping secrets).

There is a disconnect in most people's mind about big company, small company, one person..

A company is a company of people,  There are only for the most part small groups of truly malicious people, but the majority are a temperate mass. The majority will not be evil.. They may be short sighted and ignorant, but NOT evil.

As for what is appropriate going forward..

We need leaders because if everyone made decisions, nothing would get done.

The leaders are however just PEOPLE, just limited individuals, and so they can not see a large enough picture. This leads to social inequality// injustice // corruption// and strife.

The obvious solution is to offload certain major decision making tasks, such as macro economics to AI Machines..

A machine is the only thing at capacity to make the right decisions when looking at The Big Picture.. 

For example:

We have this many trees, if we cut them all down we die,  there's no if or but,  stop cutting down the damn trees.

We have this many fish left, if we eat them all, NO MORE FISH STICKS, Wait a couple years, before you start fishing..
----  Everyone who works in fish,  Ya'll are now carpenters, go build houses..

That is the type of decisive OBJECTIVE leadership we need..

AI is salvation.. 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 17:58:15 »
Maybe one day, someone will swoop in and do facebook better than facebook while respecting their users as human beings, and not lab rats.

My account follows zero people. I keep it so that I can prove to myself that I exist. I tell myself the reason I unfollowed/unfriended is I was tired of logging in and seeing posts from hundreds of people that I've never had a (TV's) Frank conversation with. The reality is I'm on the lam, and use my fb account for purchasing books on tape about 'baking soda'..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 18:38:34 »
Maybe one day, someone will swoop in and do facebook better than facebook while respecting their users as human beings, and not lab rats.

My account follows zero people. I keep it so that I can prove to myself that I exist. I tell myself the reason I unfollowed/unfriended is I was tired of logging in and seeing posts from hundreds of people that I've never had a (TV's) Frank conversation with. The reality is I'm on the lam, and use my fb account for purchasing books on tape about 'baking soda'..

Gekhak..

there are only like 6 or 7 people here...

In my mind,  we r 'friends''

//Creepy smile//

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 18:58:07 »

Gekhak..

//Creepy smile//

I will never surrender! neva

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 19:21:33 »

Gekhak..

//Creepy smile//

I'm touching yous on the internet..

//touch...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 19:23:33 »

Gekhak..

//Creepy smile//

//touch...

Please stop poking me..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 19:28:35 »

//touch...

Please stop poking me..

//Fine..

But I will be back... later..  for m0ar touching .. be prepared

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:21:15 »
I read something about how when the AI takes over we'll all have an easy transition since we will have been used to the herd mentality that comes from using Facebook which will also be improved upon with upcoming VR improvements that will allow us to seamlessly get literally lost in thought in a digital world allowing the AI to use our mass brain power and direct our group consciousness.

TL; DR didn't read anything in the thread

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:50:29 »
It isn't even about 'herd mentality' to me. It is about not taking morally objectionable behavior. it isn't even about big corp, I have no problem at all with google plus, I mean, besides the fact it sucks.

Those are other things people can consider. I am not an anti-big corp person at all. The things facebook has done and is doing, is not overstated, it is outrageously understated, mostly because people like to limit their congnitive dissonance. I really wish people would move away from facebook, but unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

PS: I have made fake facebook accounts before, but they all get banned as they always seem to know...
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:53:30 »
It isn't even about 'herd mentality' to me. It is about not taking morally objectionable behavior. it isn't even about big corp, I have no problem at all with google plus, I mean, besides the fact it sucks.

Those are other things people can consider. I am not an anti-big corp person at all. The things facebook has done and is doing, is not overstated, it is outrageously understated, mostly because people like to limit their congnitive dissonance. I really wish people would move away from facebook, but unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

PS: I have made fake facebook accounts before, but they all get banned as they always seem to know...

What dissonance..

and

WHY ?

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 20:57:07 »
People like facebook. People hear about horrible practices that facebook employs. People don't like the uncomfortable cognitive dissonance, so they then excuse the practices so they can continue liking facebook.
That is what I meant.

And why is a good question. Three accounts were deleted of mine within an hour of creation, and I thought I made them look legit. Not one right after the other, I made each account like a month apart from each other. Every time they get flagged for identity verification. They wanted me to confirm my identity. Nope. Facebook is not a bank...
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 21:00:08 by rich1051414 »

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 05:37:10 »
Interesting they're being so careful about account verification. Twitter were lax on that for the longest time because any slow down in account growth would hurt their share price. Think Facebook have so many now and can monetize them so effectively they can focus on account quality, so to speak.

TV and radio audiences have switched out due to be bombarded with too much advertising. Maybe Facebook can avoid this issue by having advertisements so well targeted that they don't need to make you watch 1 minute of advertising per 2 minutes of content.

They've destroyed print advertising and now they're going for broadcast.

I use facebook sparingly. It's undeniably useful for finding out about events I'm interested in. There are some good discussions on there, although I find that less and less as times gone on.

Ultimately I think it could go either way. As unpaying customers the userbased is the product being sold to advertisers. Can they balance the signal to noise ratio properly so the audience doesn't disengage? If I have 10 minutes to kill on my phone am I going to play a videogame, read a book on kindle or listen to a podcast and get a more satisfying experience than flicking through my facebook feed? Would just daydreaming be more interesting? They're constantly changing things to try and stave off fatigue but Facebook will eventually be old and not as interesting to people that's inevitable.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 07:44:25 »
OP what is your thoughts on facebook possibly using the microphone on your phone while you are using the app to gather information for "social studies" aka selling info to advertisers?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 08:39:37 »
One of the podcasts I listen to was talking about this and saying it's not the case, but you'd have a lot of trouble convincing people who've decided they are that they aren't.

The thing is Facebook have bought data from the credit rating agencies, and everybodys store card data so they probably know all the groceries you've bought offline. They can also see every product you looking at buying online, your friends looked at buying, and if those friends/family happen to be visiting you for a holiday. Hence the high probability of them throwing up suggestions that seem eerily pertinent.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 09:31:52 »
******** can go to hell.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 10:10:17 »
How about proximity based friend recommendations? These days someone walks past the house and they show up as a recommendation from fb. My favorite 'feature'

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 10:40:29 »
How about proximity based friend recommendations? These days someone walks past the house and they show up as a recommendation from fb. My favorite 'feature'

Perfect xcuse to hitz on the females !!..

Facebook said so.. It must be true. !!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 10:41:28 »
One of the podcasts I listen to was talking about this and saying it's not the case, but you'd have a lot of trouble convincing people who've decided they are that they aren't.

The thing is Facebook have bought data from the credit rating agencies, and everybodys store card data so they probably know all the groceries you've bought offline. They can also see every product you looking at buying online, your friends looked at buying, and if those friends/family happen to be visiting you for a holiday. Hence the high probability of them throwing up suggestions that seem eerily pertinent.

This is ok,  as long as they don't know sell people heart disease and diabetes..

Oh wait.. !!

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 23:32:17 »
OP what is your thoughts on facebook possibly using the microphone on your phone while you are using the app to gather information for "social studies" aka selling info to advertisers?
I don't know if they are or will be doing this but they were caught accessing the front facing camera. This was found out a long time ago, as many people's front facing camera had an LED that lit up when it was being used. That feature has since been removed from phones for very obvious reason, reasons I deeply object to. It is not the fact they are doing it, it is the fact they try to do it as stealthily as they can legally get away with.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 November 2017, 23:35:52 by rich1051414 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 09:45:56 »
I don't know if they are or will be doing this but they were caught accessing the front facing camera. This was found out a long time ago, as many people's front facing camera had an LED that lit up when it was being used. That feature has since been removed from phones for very obvious reason, reasons I deeply object to. It is not the fact they are doing it, it is the fact they try to do it as stealthily as they can legally get away with.

i'm less worried about the camera..

more so them getting hax0rzed and losing my creditcard numbers..

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 14:43:42 »
I am starting to rant now, but my point is that I have no facebook account, and as such, I am also unable to use a large percentage of the internet which requires facebook logins to use.

I disagree with that. You're not ranting. You're not paranoid. And it's a tinier than tiny percentage of the Internet that requires FaceBook. Anything that requires FaceBook is not worth of me losing my time on it.

You aren't missing anything. I have a FB account (using a slightly distorted name) since forever... It's the lowest of the low of what you can find online. I started blocking all the users posting crap repeatedly and then I noticed that besides a very tiny % of your "friends" who posts **** like crazy, hardly anyone posts anything anymore. I've got about 150 friends: all real people I met IRL.

I never ever log to any other site requiring FB.

I'm checking mine about once every month and it's just getting worse and worse. No FB on my phone.

I plan to cancel my FB account and have it deleted: just too lazy to do it.

FB is MySpace 2.0: it used to be kinda "cool" but really ain't anymore. I think they're doing abysmally bad in the younger generation segment. FB is the stuff their parents (and grandparents) are on. It's simply not cool anymore.

It's purely about locking you in and I've seen it described like this recently: "Social media is an attack on free will".

I don't even give a **** about the privacy aspect: no FB on my phone (too bad for the microphone 24/7 recording), I hardly ever go to the site.

FB just sucks: the quality of posts there is pathetic. At least on Reddit the subcultures are kinda cool.  But for FB everyday that passes by just makes it more and more lame.

The Internet is fully usable without a FB account and you can live very well without ever logging in (or creating an account) on FB. Now Google on the other hand: now that's harder to dodge.

FB just ain't cool anymore and youngster hardly give a **** about it. People my age are getting tired of it: years ago it was all exciting and now everybody is like "do you still use it?" "how often do you still check it?".

Also I hardly see anyone posting anything interesting about it.  I used to be part of some groups (like petrolhead stuff) but even these sucks too: good old forums are much, much, much better to create a community.

Also for anyone mid-forties or over, FaceBook is very quickly becoming "DeathBook", which is really eerie.

For teenagers FaceBook is totally lame.

It's still successful for those in between these ages but I see a huge number of accounts just going "missing in action" : people who used to post or answer "going" / "not going" or "maybe" who just do not post anything and do not use it anymore.

People are noticing the adds. People read about the privacy invasion. But most of all: the FaceBook fatigue is very real. People simply don't give a **** about the 3% of their "friends" who post 99% of the IQ-lowering content they post.

I've got friends and family abroad: so I'm the perfect "product" for FaceBook... Yet as you can see I puke on FaceBook. And you should too.

"Friends don't let friends use FaceBook anymore"

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 14:47:44 »
That feature has since been removed from phones for very obvious reason, reasons I deeply object to. It is not the fact they are doing it, it is the fact they try to do it as stealthily as they can legally get away with.

It is even worse than that: hardware who have an indicator showing if the camera is on have bypasses that can still turn the camera on but without turning the LED on. Apple has been caught with that and, worse, they "sold" that functionality to at least one other company. For all the others: turning the webcam on means lighting the indicator... But those whitelisted can film without the indicator showing.

I put tape on my Macbook's webcam. I hardly install any app on my smartphone (but didn't think about blocking it's webcam: I'll do it now) and certainly not FB's app.

Guys: factory reset your smartphone (if it's an Android one it's cool to see Linux booting!) and only re-install the apps you need.

FB ain't one of them. And spread the word!

HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 14:52:18 »
FB is pretty gay

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 18:08:28 »
Facebook stopped credit companies from viewing your full profile about a year ago, and I can find no evidence they share info with creditors. I wouldn't expect them to link the two after what happened with Doubleclick. Because Facebook sells ads, linking your credit to your profile is a serious privacy issue, which was precisely what Doubleclick tried to do. The resulting legal issues ripped the company apart to the extent that Google bought them to bail them out. On the other hand, Facebooks algorithm is pretty powerful, and it's not hard to look at what someone does or says and where they live to figure out their income bracket. And yet, there are also rumors of who backed Facebook, which should make you worry. How true is all of it, who knows, these companies and people work very hard to hide what all they do.

That said, I too work in I.T. and refuse to have a Facebook or Twitter account (which freaks out my customers).
Yes, I miss out on some family stuff as a result, but I also have no need to see what my brother ate for breakfast, and lunch, and dinner for that matter. Not to mention his political views and baiting tactics. It simply amazes (and scares me) how quickly we went from people freaking out over stores asking for your zip code (as if that pinpoints you in some way) to simply handing over EVERYTHING to a single company. If Facebook ever got hacked, and who says they haven't, if any one company had a bullseye on it for hacking, it's Facebook and Google.

This doesn't even delve into the personal privacy and security issues involved, how many homes have been robbed after people bragged about the vacation they were going on? People treat Facebook as if everyone who sees their page is an actual friend, when the reality is you wouldn't hang out with 90% of those people in real life, nor does it account for anyone who just happens to be watching.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 19:25:19 »
I would hang out with most of my Facebook feed in real life. It's 200 or so people but that doesn't seem particularly silly to me. I'm not a best friend kind of person and if I go to a particular gig I might run into 20 of them at a time. To me picking up with people you haven't talked to in 5 years is pretty normal, Facebook only makes it more natural, I might have been reminded of their name and if they'd a kid since helping grease the conversational wheels a little.

I'm on the Internet since the mid 90's. My ex always used get annoyed at me for not presenting my life accurately online I always thought of myself if not an avatar then at the very least a happy distortion. I used do rap battles on YouTube so  I wasn't going to lay it all out on a plate for the lad googling me they're going to get my interpretation of myself, which isn't the idealised version it's the bulletproof version.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 03:12:03 »
Another issue is the "smartphone addiction". Facebook was designed to be addictive -- a former developer that was high up in the Facebook corporate hierarchy has publicly stated so.
It wasn't as addictive on desktop computers as it became on the smartphone.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 03:32:44 »
Another issue is the "smartphone addiction". Facebook was designed to be addictive -- a former developer that was high up in the Facebook corporate hierarchy has publicly stated so.
It wasn't as addictive on desktop computers as it became on the smartphone.

Only if you have friends though.. hahahaha

Tp4 can't even play facebook, because not enough friends credit..

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:25:22 »
BOYCOTT FACEBOOK NOW
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 15:57:06 »
Facebook stopped credit companies from viewing your full profile about a year ago, and I can find no evidence they share info with creditors. I wouldn't expect them to link the two after what happened with Doubleclick. Because Facebook sells ads, linking your credit to your profile is a serious privacy issue, which was precisely what Doubleclick tried to do. The resulting legal issues ripped the company apart to the extent that Google bought them to bail them out. On the other hand, Facebooks algorithm is pretty powerful, and it's not hard to look at what someone does or says and where they live to figure out their income bracket. And yet, there are also rumors of who backed Facebook, which should make you worry. How true is all of it, who knows, these companies and people work very hard to hide what all they do.

That said, I too work in I.T. and refuse to have a Facebook or Twitter account (which freaks out my customers).
Yes, I miss out on some family stuff as a result, but I also have no need to see what my brother ate for breakfast, and lunch, and dinner for that matter. Not to mention his political views and baiting tactics. It simply amazes (and scares me) how quickly we went from people freaking out over stores asking for your zip code (as if that pinpoints you in some way) to simply handing over EVERYTHING to a single company. If Facebook ever got hacked, and who says they haven't, if any one company had a bullseye on it for hacking, it's Facebook and Google.

This doesn't even delve into the personal privacy and security issues involved, how many homes have been robbed after people bragged about the vacation they were going on? People treat Facebook as if everyone who sees their page is an actual friend, when the reality is you wouldn't hang out with 90% of those people in real life, nor does it account for anyone who just happens to be watching.

Yeah, I am right there with you. For every truth you hear about facebook, there are 5 rumors. However, there are some things which are known and are not rumors, as those things can be found in the Eula if you read it. Mostly what bothers me has to do with the manipulation of peoples timelines to coax behaviors out of them, and sharing of far too detailed demographic information with advertisers. I have used adsense before, and I google does go out of their way to prevent this kind of abuse by keeping demographics fuzzy enough and heavily moderating what ads are shown. On facebook, advertisers are not required to actually be a business with a product to sell. They could be anyone with the money and power to influence. Ads being exploited to manipulate the masses is NOT what ads were designed to do, which is sell a product. I have a problem with that. It doesn't seem like facebook wants to take measures to prevent such features from being abused for a purpose it was not intended to serve.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 December 2017, 16:02:44 by rich1051414 »

Offline iri

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 17:50:25 »
I never use the app, have only a few dozen friends, run facebook in a sandboxed browser, and have a whole set of regularly updated fake info in the profile.

I get completely irrelevant ads and my 'possible friends' suggestions show almost solely people I don't know.

Fite me irl, Facebook.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 16:59:14 »
So, it finally got attention. About time.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:54:39 »
fake news

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 17:55:38 »
fake news

Hrrrmm.. is rich1051414 a scam account or botting.. ?

It's also possible some of these accounts got hacked.. !!

Offline JP

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:08:25 »
I only have a FB because of social pressure, e.g., family, etc. I otherwise avoid it like the plague
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:11:54 »
I only have a FB because of social pressure, e.g., family, etc. I otherwise avoid it like the plague

Once you get out of skool , it's pretty much useless..

Just look at your parents, they don't have any friends, with or without facebook,  WHY NOT..

Because the whole friends dynamic was a pair bond exercise to begin with.

Absent its primary purpose, the system is useless..

Netflix, Vodka, Onself , and Dying alone,  THIS , is a Universal Truth, For all time. ..

Break the cycle JP,  focus on Science.. !!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:51:16 »
Personally, I think facebook is a drain on society.  It had potential to be a great platform and in some rare cases is.  However Zuck turned it into a data mining platform that sold ads at every turn.

I have no remorse for the company and hope the FTC and investors run it into the ground.

#****Zuck

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:15:58 »
Personally, I think facebook is a drain on society.  It had potential to be a great platform and in some rare cases is.  However Zuck turned it into a data mining platform that sold ads at every turn.

I have no remorse for the company and hope the FTC and investors run it into the ground.

#****Zuck

Don't understand why you feel that way..

What did you assume it was, and what did you want it to be.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 03:37:39 »
fake news

Hrrrmm.. is rich1051414 a scam account or botting.. ?

It's also possible some of these accounts got hacked.. !!
I hope this is sarcasm...
They have been doing this crap for years. People are just now paying attention. Deleted my facebook account a very long time ago.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 03:58:31 »
The issues raised about such companies have always been there but since the news tends to latch onto things with a story behind them ('a dead body' as one privacy paper [1] phrased it) it's not a much discussed topic outside of techier circles.

It's the apathy of the general userbase that companies like these rely on though. People can always decide to just not use them and block their tracking scripts, beacons, etc, if they prefer.

[1] 'I've Got Nothing to Hide' and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2018, 04:05:52 by Coreda »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 16:47:42 »
Facebook and it's users are merely pawns here, what Cambridge Analytica (CA) did was hijack Facebook to conduct psychological warfare on US and British soil (as well as many others) all of which is highly illegal.

I knew some of this was possible and figured some of it was going on, but even knowing what I know about the data policies of Facebook and what to expect,  I was still surprised how far these guys took it. I expect people to start disappearing at any time, it's that bad.

If you haven't seen the CH4 expose (it's on youtube), you really should, these guys need to be in prison, and not just any prison, Guantanamo. Here's some of it:
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 17:13:06 »
Facebook and it's users are merely pawns here, what Cambridge Analytica (CA) did was hijack Facebook to conduct psychological warfare on US and British soil (as well as many others) all of which is highly illegal.

I knew some of this was possible and figured some of it was going on, but even knowing what I know about the data policies of Facebook and what to expect,  I was still surprised how far these guys took it. I expect people to start disappearing at any time, it's that bad.

If you haven't seen the CH4 expose (it's on youtube), you really should, these guys need to be in prison, and not just any prison, Guantanamo. Here's some of it:

What's the fear exactly.. ??

The oligarchy has always controlled the media and propaganda..

This is the latest, -best- iteration,   but the role of ruler, middle class, and peasantry has never changed.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 21:04:37 »
What's the fear?
Oh, I don't know... a return of Nazism for one. A world war for a second. Loss of freedom would be another. And no, that is not far fetched, we're talking about Bannon and the Mercers, both of which are extreme alt-right nationalists and a willingness to let the world burn to get what they want. I don't think it was a coincidence that nationalism started taking the main stage once C.A. got fully up and running.

There's a reason this has been mostly left to governments to use, imagine it in the hands of advertisers, because that's next.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 22:00:44 »
What's the fear?
Oh, I don't know... a return of Nazism for one. A world war for a second. Loss of freedom would be another. And no, that is not far fetched, we're talking about Bannon and the Mercers, both of which are extreme alt-right nationalists and a willingness to let the world burn to get what they want. I don't think it was a coincidence that nationalism started taking the main stage once C.A. got fully up and running.

There's a reason this has been mostly left to governments to use, imagine it in the hands of advertisers, because that's next.

A world war, not likely..

The entirety of the foreign policy shenanigan we witness today is merely designed to "predictably" destabilize trade to keep prices low, and rake in some pocket money on wallstreet.

That's about as --malicious-- as people get these days..

World war stopped being a problem ever since nuclear weapons..  It's now unwinnable.. So people are not silly enough to do it..

Burning the world to get what they want..  This is assuming the thing that they want can be obtained independent of the World that PRODUCES said things?

There is a REAL INTEREST in keeping a segment of the population --dumbed-- and --poor--,  without them who would feed and do work for the capitalists.

However, it is in NO ONE's interest to  Fundamentally break the base of the pyramid..

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 05:11:34 »
They also give advertisers far too much power to target demographics in a far too precise manner. I don't want to get into it, but many people in the know know what that lead to, and how we will be paying for it for quite a number of years.

I was uncomfortable with this hazy statement, as I am just a random dude on the internet, and 'mental illness' would be an easier conclusion to jump to, but now everyone is in the know on this matter. Some, however, are still in denial.

Psychological manipulation should be unacceptable to everyone, regardless of how successful you personally feel the result was. (It was far more successful than most realize, just look how divided we are)

This isn't even a political matter to me, my distaste is totally with facebook itself. Someone, eventually, was going to exploit the technology to their ends. It was inevitable.

There is a REAL INTEREST in keeping a segment of the population --dumbed-- and --poor--,  without them who would feed and do work for the capitalists.

However, it is in NO ONE's interest to  Fundamentally break the base of the pyramid.. [/size][/color]
^-- They talk about this publicly at GOP conventions. It's not even a secret. I will explain the agenda.

The only way to move manufacturing back to the US is to make a lot more low skilled workers and pay them less money. This is achieved by decimating the education system and encouraging anti-intellectualism. It ensures a good supply of peasants who have no skills, so therefore they must work as hard as they can for peanuts, as they have no other choice.
Also, decimating help for the poor will also increase how desperate these people are, allowing them to work even harder for even less money.
Not giving them healthcare will make money even tighter, so they can be worked even harder, for even less money than that.

Their whole agenda revolves around making people more desperate. Only with a desperate working class can manufacturing return to america. Only with a desperate working class can the money earned by the working class be withheld from them. They find morality in this agenda under the premise that if the working class allows themselves to be made desperate, it is their own fault for allowing it to happen. Dog eat dog.

You can choose to agree with that agenda or not, but you should at least know what you are signing up for, at the very least. Channeling the already desperate working class into serving this agenda under a false narrative causes a feedback loop simply too powerful to ignore.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 05:44:55 by rich1051414 »

Offline JP

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:31:42 »
@rich, you mention the low skill working class but are these folks in large relevant in the coming years with the ongoing rise of automation? The remaining manufacturing jobs will continue to be replaced. A manufacturing company I worked for promoted safety as priority #1. So you either improve ergonomics or whatever or you simply have engineers redesign the process and remove people from the equation. This effects both blue collar and white collars jobs to a large extent going forward. Technology is increasing at an exponential rate so where does this leave the rest of the population that does not adapt to the high tech society of today and tomorrow? Insert universal basic income argument here?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:44:13 »
I still have a Facebook account but I've made less than 10 posts in the last 2-3 years. The only real reason I ever had it was because it was the cool thing in high school and then later it was for sharing photos with people who probably don't care about you to begin with. Now it's just a complete waste of time.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:59:35 »

I am just a random dude on the internet, and 'mental illness' would be an easier conclusion to jump to, but now everyone is in the know on this matter. Some, however, are still in denial.

Psychological manipulation should be unacceptable to everyone, regardless of how successful you personally feel the result was. (It was far more successful than most realize, just look how divided we are)

This isn't even a political matter to me, my distaste is totally with facebook itself. Someone, eventually, was going to exploit the technology to their ends. It was inevitable.

However, it is in NO ONE's interest to  Fundamentally break the base of the pyramid.. [/size][/color]
^-- They talk about this publicly at GOP conventions. It's not even a secret. I will explain the agenda.

The only way to move manufacturing back to the US is to make a lot more low skilled workers and pay them less money. This is achieved by decimating the education system and encouraging anti-intellectualism. It ensures a good supply of peasants who have no skills, so therefore they must work as hard as they can for peanuts, as they have no other choice.
Also, decimating help for the poor will also increase how desperate these people are, allowing them to work even harder for even less money.
Not giving them healthcare will make money even tighter, so they can be worked even harder, for even less money than that.

Their whole agenda revolves around making people more desperate. Only with a desperate working class can manufacturing return to america. Only with a desperate working class can the money earned by the working class be withheld from them. They find morality in this agenda under the premise that if the working class allows themselves to be made desperate, it is their own fault for allowing it to happen. Dog eat dog.

You can choose to agree with that agenda or not, but you should at least know what you are signing up for, at the very least. Channeling the already desperate working class into serving this agenda under a false narrative causes a feedback loop simply too powerful to ignore.

Precisely,  The richest country in the world, has among the worst public education..

Clearly, that is on purpose.. 

They've done the math, they have to produce/maintain a a certain quantity of Native poor white and black people relative to the quantity of Southern import labor..

Nationalism (racism) is the Trump-card, as long as there is racial tension , the poor whites (which is the majority white) will not challenge the Aristocratic White, which is the real oppressor/ architect of white-poverty.

Then the silly middle-class whites come in and start bickering, oh hey, we can do better, it doesn't have to be this way.

Agreed, it CAN BE BETTER..  But, not without becoming Socialist.

The fight is against incumbent Capitalists.. The whole game is already rigged so you can never climb out of it short of civil war..

And no one wants civil war..

So, the only option is to just accept that there will be Class strife and a quantity of Oppression..

It's really not that bad.. Not ideal, but not That Bad..

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 21:36:49 »
Well...
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Sounds awfully socialist to me.

The thing is, people don't know we already are, or rather, WERE, a social democracy.

It isn't naive to think that their can be a balance here. Political extremes are not necessary, they are fatalistic. They are proof of people losing hope. That is all.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 21:39:45 by rich1051414 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 22:02:47 »
Well...
"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Sounds awfully socialist to me.

The Hegemony always writes promises and slogans like that..

It is NOT the way of the world however..

They own the roads, the social services, the land, and YOUR DEBT.

Therefore, they own YOU..