Author Topic: HHKB loud space bar on the upstroke...  (Read 8567 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
HHKB loud space bar on the upstroke...
« on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 02:32:45 »
Is there anything I can do? I have lubed already. Lubed with techkeys thin lube and then lubed the stabs with techkeys thick. The rest of the board is so quiet and then the spacebar makes a loud click on the up stroke, Thanks for any help!

Offline Dyaems

Re: HHKB loud space bar on the upstroke...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 02:40:35 »
my novatouch has similar "issue" and i somwehat resolved it by doing the following:

- remove the spring at the center
- adding o-rings   

removing the spring may not be needed i think

B.face X2
  65g Zealios

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 02:49:27 »
my novatouch has similar "issue" and i somwehat resolved it by doing the following:

- remove the spring at the center
- adding o-rings   

removing the spring may not be needed i think

Ok, I tried the o-ring trick and that helped a lot. As long as I press in the middle it is silent. If I hit it on the sides it makes the noise but not near as bad. Thanks for the help!

Any good leads on PBT space bars that match the same texture as the other caps?

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 22:11:47 »
I lost my spacebar spring and can't find it anywhere nor anywhere to buy online. If you've removed yours any chance you'd sell me yours?

Please pm me! I'm very sad :(
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 01:10:14 »
Alright, still having this problem. If I hit the center of the space bar it is fine. If I even just touch the left or right side there is a sound like the spacebar and plastic from the stab is hitting.

I have 55g domes and a PBT spacebar on the way. Any kind of mod I can do to fix this? It is driving me insane. 

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 01:34:45 »
Can you upload some kind of audio recording of the problem? Is this something new that you have noticed or has it always been this way?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:04:30 »
I lost my spacebar spring and can't find it anywhere nor anywhere to buy online. If you've removed yours any chance you'd sell me yours?

Please pm me! I'm very sad :(

you can order custom made springs or just look for general purpose springs and cut it to fit..

it's a spring, not magical high tech precision machined widget.. hahahahaha

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:07:03 »
Can you upload some kind of audio recording of the problem? Is this something new that you have noticed or has it always been this way?

seconded

videos are v useful for this kind of thing
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline need

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:09:26 »
put on a hypersphere dampening ring, or DIY one using EK soft landing pads.

http://imgur.com/gallery/iGzCV
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 March 2017, 15:14:29 by need »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 10 March 2017, 21:05:25 »

seconded

videos are v useful for this kind of thing

I will try and upload one soon. It has done this since I owned it. It is my first HHKB so I admit that it could be something they just do. I have spent so much money on it that I want to fix it haha

Offline Polymer

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 06:31:21 »
Its the stabilizer...

Reseating it can help...or better yet a PBT Spacebar..which for some reason helps..

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 01:12:10 »
Just an update on this. I put purple silent sliders on my HHKB but there is still a Minimal rattle. It is for sure the stabs. I tried to put some super lube on the stabs and I also placed o-rings on them. My PBT spacebar will be here next month. Hopefully that will be the nail in the coffin.

It isn't too bad now but I despise stab rattle so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 06:19:18 »
Just an update on this. I put purple silent sliders on my HHKB but there is still a Minimal rattle. It is for sure the stabs. I tried to put some super lube on the stabs and I also placed o-rings on them. My PBT spacebar will be here next month. Hopefully that will be the nail in the coffin.

It isn't too bad now but I despise stab rattle so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watch out using super lube, it can dry out pretty quickly.

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 13:14:25 »
Its the stabilizer...

This.

I have the same problem on Realforce. Stabiliser wire is somehow either deformed or out of place. Lube won't help, silencing rings won't help, PBT spacebar won't help.

You will have to try to fiddle with the wire itself.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 14:23:17 »
Its the stabilizer...

This.

I have the same problem on Realforce. Stabiliser wire is somehow either deformed or out of place. Lube won't help, silencing rings won't help, PBT spacebar won't help.

You will have to try to fiddle with the wire itself.

This is a pretty common problem on multiple Topre boards I've had...

Re-seating the spacebar generally helps..although I don't think it lasts very long..

PBT spacebar helped I suspect because it created enough tension (not being perfectly straight) that it helps keep it from clanking around.

Some people have used lube and that seemed to fix the issue as well..

Offline profanum429

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 15:41:24 »
I know on both the Type S boards I've had putting a PBT spacebar helped immensely with the rattle; like others have posted I think it has to do with the PBT spacebar being slightly warped and providing enough tension to keep everything from flowing super freely. The ones I've had and currently have though don't effect the actual actuation or stick on the return stroke.

Offline DRAZAH

• Hype-S
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 09:15:54 »
I own a HHKB Pro 2 and a 87U. I just did a 55g swap to my HHKB and here are my subjective views on it so far.

55g is definitely snappier, heavier, and more tactile. I like it way better than 45g on the Alpha, but dislike it on the Mod keys, especially the spacebar.

My HHKB is also silenced and lube, which I think makes Topre 45g or 55g feel way better, plus it brings out the pure thock and removes any plastic-y clack (very apparent on my non-silenced 87u on metal plate compared to my silenced HHKB, they sound completely different.)

I actually found the spring on the spacebar to help with sound. Specifically on my HHKB, I had rattling without the spring and a cheap clack sound, I coiled the spring a little tighter and the tension helps especially grouped with hyperspheres and lube. Lube i used is Thick Krytox from TechKeys

Offline robbles

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 10:52:54 »
I get a terrible sound on the downstroke with some of my PBT spacebars, enough to keep me from using any of them most of the time. There are two little foam-rubber pads on each side of the spacebar landing. I've heard of some mods to these to help with downstroke noise.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40653.0
https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/dampening-the-hhkb-spacebar-t15294.html
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:02:57 »
I get a terrible sound on the downstroke with some of my PBT spacebars, enough to keep me from using any of them most of the time. There are two little foam-rubber pads on each side of the spacebar landing. I've heard of some mods to these to help with downstroke noise.

It is probably because it is warped enough to where that part is sticking out and causing that sound...I remember having a similar problem...either noise or they wouldn't come back up...it just takes some effort to get them into the right shape...

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:32:13 »

It is probably because it is warped enough to where that part is sticking out and causing that sound...I remember having a similar problem...either noise or they wouldn't come back up...it just takes some effort to get them into the right shape...

I am hoping that when mine come in they are not warped.

Offline robbles

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 14:39:32 »
Ahh UPstroke. Sorry all the solutions I gave were for downstroke. I only have downstroke issues with my PBT spacebars. Best of luck.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 17:00:28 »

I am hoping that when mine come in they are not warped.

Unfortunately I think you'll be disappointed...On the plus side, the fact that they're not perfect probably works out better than if they were..