Author Topic: Need helping building my ergonomic keyboard  (Read 5789 times)

Offline elbana

Need helping building my ergonomic keyboard
« on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 07:25:16 »
Hi all,

I love Ergodox keyboard and I wish to have something similar all that I like in the ErgoDox it is split 2 hands and the keys are in one column but It is kind expensive to build one so alternative I want to buy couple of (tracer avenger keypad) and remap one of them to be used as right hand is that possible any idea how ?

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
Re: Need helping building my ergonomic keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 08:42:12 »
It's possible, but it might be a little wonky. For example this: https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/716591/Combining-Raw-Input-and-keyboard-Hook-to-selective But you'll have to program it to your own use case. If you source the parts for an Ergodox yourself, it's not going to be that expensive. For example free or low-cost 3D print at a local school/uni/library, hand solder, cheap Chinese controller and switches and caps... would cost you around 100e.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 February 2017, 17:57:11 »
I love Ergodox keyboard and I wish to have something similar all that I like in the ErgoDox it is split 2 hands and the keys are in one column but It is kind expensive to build one so alternative I want to buy couple of (tracer avenger keypad) and remap one of them to be used as right hand is that possible any idea how ?
That was a run-in sentence. You should not make the reader struggle to find out what it is that you want.
If you are going to write many posts (on any board) then please learn to write properly. You will get more and better responses if you do.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 February 2017, 17:59:23 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 08:23:23 »
That was a run-in sentence. You should not make the reader struggle to find out what it is that you want.
If you are going to write many posts (on any board) then please learn to write properly. You will get more and better responses if you do.

Hahaha.. you're so mean...

What if elbana had a disability, or isn't a native speaker....

hahahaha

@ elbana..  Buy an ergodox kit, OR get the Ergodox Ez..

The reason you can't use 2 keyboards,  is because it's going to be glitchy.  because the inputs sometimes arrive late from one keyboard, even though you did infact input that command first..   This will vary from your software build down to how the USB controllers are hooked up on your motherboard..   You will never be able to reliable combine inputs without adding input lag via some in between software..

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 15:12:20 »
Not actually split, and cannot be tented, but somewhat ergo (and worth considering) is the Atreus (kit).
https://atreus.technomancy.us/

$149 + (less than $50) international shipping for a kit.

Or maybe the Atreus62: https://github.com/profet23/atreus62/tree/master/build-guide
(I haven't summed up the price.)

The other problem with 2 "tracer avenger keypads" is that, for example, holding down the Shift with your left hand will not cause CAPS when typing on the right-hand keypad. The "fix" would probably be new hardware, software, and controller to act as the ErgoDox does, joining both functions into one USB connection to the CPU.

Which OS is your friend using?

After lots of investigation I recently ended up with an ErgoDox EZ, so far very happy.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 February 2017, 15:24:43 by ErgoMacros »
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 February 2017, 16:23:06 »
The other problem with 2 "tracer avenger keypads" is that, for example, holding down the Shift with your left hand will not cause CAPS when typing on the right-hand keypad. The "fix" would probably be new hardware, software, and controller to act as the ErgoDox does, joining both functions into one USB connection to the CPU.

Not really. Keyboards still only send scan codes, it's somewhere in the drivers that determines the 'while shift is pressed -> send upper event' (IIRC on windows it's applied on application level), where the shift state is read of either keyboard, irrelevant which one. Maybe at some point in the past this wasn't the case? The only thing that wouldn't work as you say is on-board functions that never leave the keyboard, but I take it the keyboard isn't programmable, or else the op wouldn't be a problem.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 00:04:01 »
interesting... I wanted to do this, thought I tried it, and it failed. (OS X, MacBook Pro and an external keyboard)

Just tried again, MBP + ErgoDox EZ and it worked great! (as you described)

Thanks!

Offline elbana

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 05:52:57 »
It's possible, but it might be a little wonky. For example this: https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/716591/Combining-Raw-Input-and-keyboard-Hook-to-selective But you'll have to program it to your own use case. If you source the parts for an Ergodox yourself, it's not going to be that expensive. For example free or low-cost 3D print at a local school/uni/library, hand solder, cheap Chinese controller and switches and caps... would cost you around 100e.

I already thought about Chinese parts as the first option but shipping parts from different places and so on it is around 150$ especially with Ergodox modifier keycaps also if I want to include hand wrist which IMO important with the Ergodox design.

Hahaha.. you're so mean...

What if elbana had a disability, or isn't a native speaker....

hahahaha

@ elbana..  Buy an ergodox kit, OR get the Ergodox Ez..

The reason you can't use 2 keyboards,  is because it's going to be glitchy.  because the inputs sometimes arrive late from one keyboard, even though you did infact input that command first..   This will vary from your software build down to how the USB controllers are hooked up on your motherboard..   You will never be able to reliable combine inputs without adding input lag via some in between software..

I am not a native speaker, thanks for your comment, I got what you mean it will be really bad if that happen :(

Not actually split, and cannot be tented, but somewhat ergo (and worth considering) is the Atreus (kit).
https://atreus.technomancy.us/

$149 + (less than $50) international shipping for a kit.

Or maybe the Atreus62: https://github.com/profet23/atreus62/tree/master/build-guide
(I haven't summed up the price.)

Which OS is your friend using?

After lots of investigation I recently ended up with an ErgoDox EZ, so far very happy.

I am not really fan of the atreus, OS X Mac pro.

so using this software will not help?
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 February 2017, 06:07:27 by elbana »

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 07:21:13 »
I already thought about Chinese parts as the first option but shipping parts from different places and so on it is around 150$ especially with Ergodox modifier keycaps also if I want to include hand wrist which IMO important with the Ergodox design.

teensy++ 2.0: 13.27$ (free w.w. shipping) link
Kailh MX (black/blue/brown/red) x108: 31.80$ (free w.w. shipping) link
Keycaps are a little more tricky. There are group buys here where you can buy modifier keys separately and cheaply, for example shadovved's group buy; full set plus extra modifiers would be around 50$. Or you can search ali for cheap enough sets to buy two full sets that would cover all ergodox keys. Price is usually around 15-30$ per set (free shipping). If you make a custom case you could even design it to use different sized keycaps, for better support (instead of 1.5U, use the regular sizes, etc).
Also being the typical chinese vendors, there wont be any taxes (usually). The rest of the electronics (cables and diodes) are negligible in price.

Total: around 80$ (excluding case, which you can theoretically get for free or at least cheap using acrylic sheet and get someone to cut it for you, case designs are online as well as firmware).

Offline evilpacket

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 07:29:09 »
as for caps, I've seen some cheap DSA blank sets starting to pop up on aliexpress for around 35 bucks. they don't seem too bad.
designing and building your own can be rewarding but may be an absolute pain in the a$s. ergodox is your best bet
or you can 3d print an ergodox case and slap a cheap controller on it..

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 11:45:21 »
Re Karabiner: That may help, not sure.
Another OS x option along those lines is Hammerspoon (http://www.hammerspoon.org).
Again, not sure it will solve any issues that occur.

Offline elbana

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 16:33:49 »
Thanks everyone one for your help thanks @LuX I will go for what you suggested.

Offline mamcx

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 20:51:55 »
Hi, maybe you are interested in my project:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87201.msg2352517

Is also a ergo keyb inspired by the MS Ergo. However, I'm only at design stage.