Author Topic: Keyboard mats  (Read 3514 times)

Offline macguy80

Keyboard mats
« on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 00:58:21 »
On many of the sound videos I see on YouTube, many people use keyboard mats, and sometimes even add a towel on top of that, to lessen the sound from the desk.

So do you guys do that just for the videos, or do you find you actually prefer the sounds of typing with a mat and/or towel added? I've never even thought of getting a mat until now.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: Keyboard mats
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 02:02:14 »
I do. I have a glass desk so the vibrations reverbing through it are very audible and the desk kind of "rumbles" as I type on it. Putting it on a towel makes typing sound less.... violent, for lack of a better word.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 07:26:17 »
Might as well be shameless and plug my product again.

Between some sound absorption and increased stability, I continue to think that these EPDM mats have a good balance of qualities.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.msg1359377#msg1359377
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 07:32:07 »
I'm using a sheet of butyl rubber.
Originally purchased for car sound deadening but works equally as well as a keyboard mat.
Non-adhesive type of course.  :)
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:59:46 »
I couldn't live without a mat under my keyboard.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:01:25 »

Thanks for that! I appreciate the plug. One question: Since this is rubber, is there a rubber smell? I find I'm quite sensitive to that scent in particular, even after playing only a few minutes with a dog toy, for example.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:05:16 »

Thanks for that! I appreciate the plug. One question: Since this is rubber, is there a rubber smell? I find I'm quite sensitive to that scent in particular, even after playing only a few minutes with a dog toy, for example.

Well there's ur problem.

Dog toys are for dogs..

///hahaha

Offline macguy80

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 15:29:32 »
Walked right into that one, I guess!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 18:43:59 »

Since this is rubber, is there a rubber smell?

My sense of smell is not as good as it used to be, but as far as I can tell there is hardly any smell at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

PS - I agree that dogs are disgusting
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline macguy80

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 18:56:43 »
PS - I agree that dogs are disgusting

I never said that, and never would, cause I love my dog. But I hate the smell of rubber after throwing the squeak toy for her for five minutes ;)

If I do decide to get one, would you say that the AEK I got from you falls into the Large tier, as opposed to the Extra Large?

Thanks!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 19:32:18 »

If I do decide to get one, would you say that the AEK I got from you falls into the Large tier, as opposed to the Extra Large?

Yes, tell me whether you want it undersized by 1/4", exact fit, or oversized by 1/4". I have an AEK here to measure by.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 19:34:04 »
I came here to recommend the mats from Fohat.digs. I need to get some more for myself to be honest haha.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 20:18:36 »
I've recently started adding the foam into the keyboard itself - between the pcb and case. Its definitely a change in sound and feel. I dont need the mat underneath which for me helps a lot. I tend to move stuff out of the way on my desk at home quite regularly to work on something, cut something, solder something, etc. and having a mat to pull up means I've got to move everything off it first.

Anyway, heres a few foam inside ideas:
http://i.imgur.com/o5Tgzcr.jpg MiniVan 40%
http://i.imgur.com/POkeTKS.jpg Sentraq 60%
http://i.imgur.com/7wpxLvZ.jpg HHKB
http://i.imgur.com/9NPE1bx.jpg?1 V80

I had to buy a lot of foam to figure out what I was looking for.
-Dana

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:06:36 »
I use a folded sheet of drawer liner.

Apart from stopping the keyboard/s sliding across the desk, it does absorb a lot of the echo from the desk.

Although I am not using it with this SSK as I prefer the sound of the springs buckling through the office :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ