Author Topic: Breaking In Switches: Myth or Reality?  (Read 21660 times)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Breaking In Switches: Myth or Reality?
« on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 19:13:59 »
As far as I’m concerned breaking in switches is BS. I keep seeing people post on Reddit, FB, and occasionally here that they want to break in your switches before lubing them. Honestly, when it comes to switches that are designed to be pressed tens of millions of times, you using your keyboard for a week or two is NOT GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

That’s my opinion. It’s not based in tested data and I am open to being wrong (even though I just wrote in all caps  ;D )

Offline jamster

Re: Breaking In Switches: Myth or Reality?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:02:54 »
How do these people recommend breaking in their switches? Are they literally sitting there pretending to type for hours/days/weeks?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:05:45 »
I suppose it's possible that they could benefit from being pressed one or two times to set the spring and the stem, maybe spread some factory lube around. But yeah, beyond that is surely quite a bit of crap.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:07:27 »
Sooo driving easy on your car engine for 500 miles does nothing for a car expected to go 500k miles?
There is two times in a mechanical objects life where wear happens fastest and that is at the start as things mesh together and at the end when it starts to fail failure. Breaking in is just wear fitting. So yes, there is some sense to it, but it's also B.S. but not for the reason you think.

Switches are usually lubed, which means break in will take longer than a week and not using at least some lube can actually cause more wear than actual break in but this too is not the real problem, the plastics used often have at least one plastic that is considered self lubricating. No, the biggest reason I say it's B.S. though is because the parts were worn in as they were. Breaking them in, then disassembling them messes with the fitting. Worse, most people don't do them one at a time and therefore they completely destroyed any match-fit that occurred. Switch A was worn in, but you swapped in part B's stem and the spring, which had no wear is now no longer sitting the same way it was. So what exactly is worn in together at this point? Nothing. And what if housing A has a slight switch, it has now worn stem A in a specific way but since you swapped that stem into housing B, those two parts not only don't match but are even further off than they were from the factory and will now wear at an accelerated rate compared to the rest, at least until they too settle but their life span has been compromised regardless. How much, who knows, odds are they will still outlast your expected lifespan.

Is any of it enough to matter, probably not if your switches are all still pretty new, doing this with older switches is much more of an issue, particularly in hot swap boards. Soldered switches can relax, they are not under any stress when put in place, hot swap forces the switch to line up the solder prongs and housing in a very tight manner not designed and this can lead to housing and leaf distortion, with light enough springs this distortion can be enough to cause bind. I said early on hot swap was a "hack", I stand by that even though I do use it, why? It's convenient, but I also don't expect my hot swap boards to ever be the next Filco, much less Model M, keyboards that can be passed on through multiple owners without issue.

By the way, most "breaking in" is actually just the lube spreading out and being redistributed and parts gently conforming to their new home, there's very little actual plastic wear during this time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 22:36:04 »
Excellent! Leslieann, I knew I could rely on you for a technical explanation. I’m happy I was right even if for the wrong reason.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 02:51:00 »
from my experience with new keyboards so far, i did not feel much changes on my M as it broke in although on reds and browns they get significantly smoother after a few weeks of use (easy to feel by pressing E and W, E felt smoother faster), although i do not lube because i am way to lazy to open 65 to 108 switches apply a bit of lube and put them back together :) and i have not used my FK9200 for that long yet but feels rather smooth compared to new MX compatibles.
although i think that if it is to lube them anyway i do not really see a point.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 04:42:18 »
You're welcome, Ddrfraser1.

I'm not saying they do not break in plastic-wise, they do but it's not a fast process and again, if you plan to lube them later, there's no sense in waiting then tearing them apart because it's wasted time, effort and may do more harm than good. The better lubed a switch is the sooner it will settle in and feel good, but will actually take LONGER to match fit and wear in fully as the lube helps smooth out the rough spots. That's part of why lube exists.

Cherry are pre-lubed, not well, but they are pre-lubed and use self lubricating plastics.
A Model M won't break in like a Cherry, they function in completely different ways.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 March 2021, 04:45:59 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 08:42:09 »
It is 100% REAL.

Tp4 has done extensive testing on this.   The MAIN source of initial friction is the Surface of the leaf-spring and switch housing, the black slider surfaces.

Once the housing smooths out, you can put any stem interchangably and it will feel equally smooth.

Tested via numerous worn MX blacks New and Vintage.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 08:57:56 »
It is 100% REAL.

Tp4 has done extensive testing on this.   The MAIN source of initial friction is the Surface of the leaf-spring and switch housing, the black slider surfaces.

Once the housing smooths out, you can put any stem interchangably and it will feel equally smooth.

how can you test mx blacks when we know that you only use blues... hmmm?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 10:14:17 »
It is 100% REAL.

Didn't he say MX brown was the best just a few weeks ago as well? We know that tp4 is 99% random trolling and 1% of it is laced with seriousness, but in the same bombastic style and giant blue text so that you can never be sure whether or not he's serious.

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 10:25:23 »
Cherry are pre-lubed, not well, but they are pre-lubed and use self lubricating plastics.
A Model M won't break in like a Cherry, they function in completely different ways.
i did not know all cherry came pre lubed, i actually only have 1 proper cherry switch, all others are gateron and kailh :) i know that my kailh bronze are pre-lubed because i opened one but i never look at the gat silent red. and given that M still have plastic on plastic contact i thought i'd mention my experience with it, and i had not mentioned the bronzes earlier because they are still not on a board so not broken in :)

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 10:56:55 »
Awesome explanation Leslieann! I have always lubed my switches before use pretty much under the same rationale you just explained. It'll break in all the same with or without manual lubing as all switches are factory lubed anyways (other than some of the JWK/Durock switches that have been ordered explicitly to not have factory lube). One thing I never really thought about is the part where a lot of people will mix the switch parts up when lubing & even if you did go one by one you'd still be unseating the fit that happened during "break in" by opening the switch. Which really underpins how much a waste of time trying to break in switches is!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 12:53:07 »
I've never really found that lubricating switches makes them that much smoother.  In fact, as others have mentioned before, lube actually increaseses the amount of friction in the switch, leading to an overall heavier feeling switch. I mostly lube my switches to make them sound better. It may take out some of the friction at the top of the press where the plastic is hesitant to move from it's resting position on the contact leaf.  But if you have a scratchy switch, lubing isn't going to make the scratch stop.  The dry switches I have from JWK are smoother than Cherry stock switches.  Actually, they're smoother than Cherry switches lubed with either 205g0 or 3204.  But they sound like loud, hard plastic, so I lube them for a nice, thocky sound.

I think polishing a scratchy switch would be the only real way to make it truly "smoother."  It's not something you're going to be able to do by typing on the keyboard a lot.  It's going to take something like polishing compound mixed into the equation to make a difference.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 March 2021, 12:55:40 by pixelpusher »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 13:07:02 »

Blue stems,  Black Housing.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 13:07:45 »
Didn't he say MX brown was the best just a few weeks ago as well? We know that tp4 is 99% random trolling and 1% of it is laced with seriousness, but in the same bombastic style and giant blue text so that you can never be sure whether or not he's serious.

Lies, Tp4 has never support MX Brown.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 15:15:15 »

Lies, Tp4 has never support MX Brown.

You're right, it looks like you were just commenting on how MX browns need to be broken in. I guess I took the fact that you've probably bothered to do so as support.

What clickies have you tried? I have a hard time believing you've never tried something you like more than MX blue.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 19:00:13 »
FWIW I've recieved a pack of Gat yellows the SMD version (KS9) and they were awful, terrible off center binding and weird plastic on plastic resistance that really didnt feel like the KS8 version. I've used them for about 2 months and they definitly felt much better and has way less of that plastic resistance, still awful though.
I dont think they had factory lube on them and if so it wasn't visible, I'd imagine the POM stem might also played a part with it's self lubricating culpability (which iirc means it's releasing PFTE)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 21:56:42 »
A self lubricating plastic covered in grease not going to polish brass or copper in a few short presses. Same for the housing, it's lubricated plastic on self lubricating plastic, it's not going to match fit within a 100 presses.

If any of this worked in that fast it would NEVER get to 50mil presses.

I've never really found that lubricating switches makes them that much smoother.  In fact, as others have mentioned before, lube actually increaseses the amount of friction in the switch, leading to an overall heavier feeling switch.
The first part depends greatly on the switch you start with, but also the grease involved. A well lubed switch will not befit from adding lube, even if you add "better" lube, just because it costs more doesn't mean that lube is going to be any smoother and worse the two greases may be incompatible and create problems.  People lube high end switches because "it's just what you do". You can make the argument that it's better to make sure they are lubed properly before you solder, just to make sure before you solder up that high end board, but that's not why people do it, they do it because they're told to by people claiming lube is better or just to check a box.

The amount of truth in the second statement goes back to what I wrote about your first.
Yes, it can make them sluggish at first but that's not the same and once they settle in they should have less friction, that's the whole point of lube.

Keep in mind you can can over-lube and that can actually create more problems than you solve.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 06:19:57 »
A self lubricating plastic covered in grease not going to polish brass or copper in a few short presses. Same for the housing, it's lubricated plastic on self lubricating plastic, it's not going to match fit within a 100 presses.

If any of this worked in that fast it would NEVER get to 50mil presses.

Correct,  That's why Tp4 hooked up a flang to a power drill and hit the switch 50,000 thousand times (calculated) No exact number.  It was enough to go from a grindy switch to a smooth switch as smooth as the old worn in housings on the E keys. 

But also, by using vintage black switches which were already smooth,  the test was conducted empirically.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 07:26:23 »
You're right, it looks like you were just commenting on how MX browns need to be broken in. I guess I took the fact that you've probably bothered to do so as support.

What clickies have you tried? I have a hard time believing you've never tried something you like more than MX blue.

The Blue Clones are all quite nice and the louder ones are more fun for maximum Annoy neighbors.

But the principle is the same, that tiny white slider is so great, it minimizes the perceptual friction of the whole travel, it provides tactile and audible feedback.  Just great engineering.

Alot of other switches may do some or all of these things better, but NOT at a pricepoint in material / durability / simplicity.

So, philosophically, how do we establish DIRECTION,  in face of climate change,  wage gap,  obesity, mental health concerns ?     Good engineering has to attempt to address these facets evenly.

You can invent more elaborate complications, but that's the hallmark of obesity, a form of vanity / hedonism at any cost.  That's not good engineering.

In our Modern Dystopian Decay, it's important to Eat Veggies, and Use Cherry MX Blue.

Offline yui

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 07:43:56 »

Alot of other switches may do some or all of these things better, but NOT at a pricepoint in material / durability / simplicity.

have you heard of our lord and savior: buckling spring?
it is cheaper to produce
it is more durable
it is simpler

yes i am somewhat joking there, as it is not MX style and you were clearly talking of MX compatible switches but even in there the new kailh click bar switches are not more complicated than blue,same part count, and at least the click part is metal in the click bar design so has a shot as being more durable and easier to repurpose or recycle (find a secondary use for a click jacket vs a coil spring). just saying, reusing/repurposing  a part is better than recycling it at least from an environmental point of view, and i do not really see how keyboards will cure obesity be it blue, M or bronze, or wage gap for that matter.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 09:38:29 »

have you heard of our lord and savior: buckling spring?
it is cheaper to produce
it is more durable
it is simpler

yes i am somewhat joking there, as it is not MX style and you were clearly talking of MX compatible switches but even in there the new kailh click bar switches are not more complicated than blue,same part count, and at least the click part is metal in the click bar design so has a shot as being more durable and easier to repurpose or recycle (find a secondary use for a click jacket vs a coil spring). just saying, reusing/repurposing  a part is better than recycling it at least from an environmental point of view, and i do not really see how keyboards will cure obesity be it blue, M or bronze, or wage gap for that matter.

tp4 was dead serious for like 2-3 straight posts on this thread (seems pretty rare to me). He must have realized this and veered back off into the realm of vaguely believable parody.

Offline yui

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 10:02:02 »
tp4 was dead serious for like 2-3 straight posts on this thread (seems pretty rare to me). He must have realized this and veered back off into the realm of vaguely believable parody.
TP4 being serious for more than half a post is already a rare occasion, so for him to be serious for multiple post, this should be a new holiday :)

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 16:41:08 »
Regardless of whether it's myth or reality, it just sounds like too much hassle for too little benefit. This is especially true if you solder your switches in. The potential benefit would have to be night and day in order for soldering a set of switches, "breaking them in unlubed", then desolder, then lube them, then solder them again.

There are so many weird guides from the community regarding what will improve switches etc and I honestly how they have such sensitive fingers and hearing. I work mainly as a software engineer, so I type a lot every single day. I've tried and tested a few things that, to me, didn't make any difference in terms of sound and typing feel, but people swear by them. I'm genuinely so curious how they're able to detect the difference. Do they have extra sensitive fingertips for some reason or is my hearing just terrible?
ID80, Rama M65-A, Black Inks V2

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 02 March 2021, 21:03:13 »
Regardless of whether it's myth or reality, it just sounds like too much hassle for too little benefit. This is especially true if you solder your switches in. The potential benefit would have to be night and day in order for soldering a set of switches, "breaking them in unlubed", then desolder, then lube them, then solder them again.

There are so many weird guides from the community regarding what will improve switches etc and I honestly how they have such sensitive fingers and hearing. I work mainly as a software engineer, so I type a lot every single day. I've tried and tested a few things that, to me, didn't make any difference in terms of sound and typing feel, but people swear by them. I'm genuinely so curious how they're able to detect the difference. Do they have extra sensitive fingertips for some reason or is my hearing just terrible?

Fingers can feel differences the eye can't see and some of us are just more sensitive however a lot of people just repeat nonsense they read online and we know how great the internet is regarding facts...

More importantly though,
Many of these things do have a basis in fact (right or wrong), while most of the time we're talking minute differences a lot can be attributed to what switches people are using and personal preferences, someone running clickies may not care much about noisy stabs or even prefer it while someone running silent switches may be extremely bothered by it. My Model M can rattle all it wants, it just adds to that magnificent sound but do you think I want to hear spring ping on my daily driver which is so worked over and quiet I can hear the leaf go over the tactile bump in a quiet room, heck no. Could someone notice if you put foam in a Model M probably not, but you certainly can in my daily driver.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 11:28:37 »
Yeah, when it comes to lube I was considering doing it on my daily board, but at this point I think the only thing on it I'll lube are the stabs. Seems like to much hassle to lube the switches when 1) they already feel 10x better than the board I have to use at work, 2) it would be hours of work for not much return, and 3) the most complicated thing I'd want to do with a switch has nothing to do with lube, and I would just want to go in and maybe try some stiffer springs in my tactiles.

As for the "breaking in" part, can 100% back up what Leslieann said earlier in the thread. My grandfather has been working on cars, both professionally and as a hobby, since before he even met my grandmother. And he has always told me that, should I ever decide to get one, the first 500 miles you put on a new car are the most important for the very same reason Leslieann pointed out when it comes to the early cycles of use for mechanical switches, as the principles are the same. If you ease the parts into working together in a nicer fashion, you get better longevity and more mechanically sound switch. If the parts have already worn into each other, replacing or changing parts that aren't meant to be replaced or changed will just cause more issues than you had before.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 12:40:15 »
Yeah, when it comes to lube I was considering doing it on my daily board, but at this point I think the only thing on it I'll lube are the stabs. Seems like to much hassle to lube the switches when 1) they already feel 10x better than the board I have to use at work, 2) it would be hours of work for not much return, and 3) the most complicated thing I'd want to do with a switch has nothing to do with lube, and I would just want to go in and maybe try some stiffer springs in my tactiles.

Then there's also the fact that lubricants attract dust and debris over time ... which eventually turns your lubricant into an abrasive paste. My bet's on that being the reason certain Alps switches are so susceptible to being ruined by debris whereas others that aren't factory lubed seem much less likely to feel terrible after having suffered adverse conditions. I'm curious to see how this plays out in 20-30 years with box switches. A lot less people are chain smoking right next to their computer these days, so that might help at least.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 March 2021, 13:49:33 by Maledicted »

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 12:48:03 »

Then there's also the fact that lubricants attract dust and debri over time ... which eventually turns your lubricant into an abrasive paste. My bet's on that being the reason certain Alps switches are so susceptible to being ruined by debris whereas others that aren't factory lubed seem much less likely to feel terrible after having suffered adverse conditions. I'm curious to see how this plays out in 20-30 years with box switches. A lot less people are chain smoking right next to their computer these days, so that might help at least.

Yeah, but there is chain vaping next to computers now. Not as bad, for yourself and the computer, but still leaves behind a definite residue. Not to mention all of the people for whom their PC is also their de facto entertainment center, due to room / budget constraints, so they eat at their desks and all of that. Even after you do clean up, even if you're thorough, if someone is eating Cheetos, Doritos, or any other snack food with some form of dust on the food, that particulate is probably going to get spread through the air. Not to mention regular dust, which is just microscopic shed skin, building up on keyboards and mice over time due to your hands being on them. There's a ton of disgusting stuff in the air, no matter how you try to filter it or clean it, so any lube that attracts particulate (literally all of them, over time at least) that isn't in a somehow perfectly sealed switch with no way for air to enter it, is going to have that mentioned issue after enough time. And if you think lubing a switch is bad, having to pull it apart in order to properly clean the lube out would be a total nightmare.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 20:55:11 »
I wouldn't worry about smoke or vape issues on MX keyboards like you would with Alps or BS, it's not like MX is going anywhere anytime soon, neither of those remained popular long enough to be snatched up by third party manufacturers. If we had as many BS and Alps switches/keyboards to pick from today as we do MX those boards would be worth pennies on the dollar.

Besides that, we managed just fine with Alps and model M from back when smoking was extremely common, air quality in most places is the same (rural) or better than it was (urban) back then.
More importantly, are YOU going to be saving those boards? I have zero expectation to be using this board in 5 years much less 20 or 30.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 09:34:30 »
I wouldn't worry about smoke or vape issues on MX keyboards like you would with Alps or BS, it's not like MX is going anywhere anytime soon, neither of those remained popular long enough to be snatched up by third party manufacturers. If we had as many BS and Alps switches/keyboards to pick from today as we do MX those boards would be worth pennies on the dollar.

Besides that, we managed just fine with Alps and model M from back when smoking was extremely common, air quality in most places is the same (rural) or better than it was (urban) back then.
More importantly, are YOU going to be saving those boards? I have zero expectation to be using this board in 5 years much less 20 or 30.

I mean, I'm a fan of longevity, but I never expect for anything to last forever. Add on that I now want to build more and more boards, I definitely agree that I don't see myself using the same board in 5 years. That doesn't mean that, properly stored and taken care of, you can't get boards to last that long or longer in order for you to pass them on if you really want, but overall I feel that most people in this hobby are going to be changing their daily use boards often enough that the sort of buildup we're talking about here shouldn't be a massive problem.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 10:26:19 »

Yes, true. Does anybody worry about anything environmental in regard to capacitive buckling spring though? Those boards just work ... forever. I haven't even taken the plate sandwich apart on any of my original Model Fs.

I still have my first (known) mechanical keyboard, and it is still my primary keyboard for my gaming rig ... which is itself older than the keyboard. I must have had both since at least 2013-ish now. I haven't even changed out the MX reds in it yet.

Offline h40

• h40.io
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 18:38:35 »
It's been some time since folks chimed in on this thread and with the more recent appearance of several retail switch break in machines I'm wondering if consensus has changed or the meme is just getting stronger.

I have a bunch of brand new super scratchy Gateron yellows I got for dirt cheap and I'm wondering if breaking in will reduce the friction and smooth them out. Certainly not implying it would be cost effective but I'm still curious.

Though perhaps  this is out of the original spirit of OP, which may specifically refer to some
brief initial break in rather than a longer term one to reduce this scratchiness.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 21:32:53 »
While it will make them smoother, it will also wear them down a bit and shorten the lifespan.
Lube does the job without and lengthens the lifespan.

If you can lube and want smoother, lube is your best option, though, they too do need some time to settle.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 April 2022, 14:53:38 »
RNKBD's broke in switches are definitely smoother than their non-broken-in alternatives but IMO it's not going to be a noticeable difference if you type on some stock cherry mx blacks for a week. the furthest i could notice is if i played osu with the same two keys for multiple months on end

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 03:55:54 »
From my experience, I know that with time unlubed switches feel a bit smoother - every surface on surface friction will wear down it a bit.
For example, my 10 years old CM Quickfire rapid keyboard with mx blacks feel better than brand new.

Then definitely makes sense with lubed switches, it feels better when broke in, as lube is spreads better, so I think this is the reason.
I wouldn't use those machines to break in, but simply use board for some time and you will do the job yourself :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::