Author Topic: fav Megaman?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
fav Megaman?
« on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 06:50:39 »
Just started Megaman Xtreme 2.

It's quite good, lvl design is simplified, but it's got extra upgrades like megaman x3.

Lots of nostalgia tunes from MegaX.

Def still needs to turn on autocharge.

x3 is overall Tp fav.

262615-0

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: fav Megaman?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 08:08:18 »
I never played Megaman as a kid but I recently built a retropie so naturally I'm cycling through all the old games. My takeaway is Castlevania is AWESOME but harder than a dead dinosaur's d***! I still have yet to beat the second level.

I haven't played too much megaman yet but it is an awesome game. The first level boss whooped my ass. Looking forward to trying out the SNES version. Metroid for the SNES is mind blowingly good too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 08:22:28 »
It's alot easier to play these games on a  FULL -SIZE 104 key keyboard.

Of course, Tp still recommends Ergodox Split.   Full size is pretty close for games though because you can map the num-pad for buttons.

On controller if you have the bottom bumper like on the xbox elite controller then it's pretty close. 

But otherwise, controller is alot harder because the thumb is only 1 finger.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 February 2021, 11:52:05 »
X4 is perfection

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 21:49:27 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 21:55:09 »
X4 is perfection

What about X3

MMX is probably my favorite series next to Castlevania

imo X4 > X2 > X1 > X5 > X3 > X6 > X8 > X7

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 09:37:54 »
Honestly, this is just reminding me of my backlog! I need to work through these games. Not sure how interested I am in the NES ones, but I'll definitely get to the X series when I have the time. Working through a few different games, both on emulators and on their hardware, and around work I only have so much time.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 09:53:46 »
I never got into the X games much. I played through the original NES series several times, especially Megaman 3 and 6. Megaman 1-6 are all good though (it's been too long to remember specifically what I liked and disliked about each). Megaman 7 and 8 were jarring because of the graphical change.

Megaman 9 and 10 were also great throwbacks. They were also much harder than the originals from what I remember, but MM9 got a lot easier for me since one of the achievements was to beat it three times in 24 hours. It's hard to believe that MM9 is now as old as the original games were when it was released!

Once the games deviated into the X series and Battle Network and Rockman and Bass, I stopped keeping track, partly because I didn't own the new consoles at the time but also because it's hard to keep track of such a long series when the sequels break the numerically sequential names (Tangent: I never noticed that sequel and sequential are related words until I just typed this).
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 10:31:49 »
I never got into the X games much. I played through the original NES series several times, especially Megaman 3 and 6. Megaman 1-6 are all good though (it's been too long to remember specifically what I liked and disliked about each). Megaman 7 and 8 were jarring because of the graphical change.

Megaman 9 and 10 were also great throwbacks. They were also much harder than the originals from what I remember, but MM9 got a lot easier for me since one of the achievements was to beat it three times in 24 hours. It's hard to believe that MM9 is now as old as the original games were when it was released!

Once the games deviated into the X series and Battle Network and Rockman and Bass, I stopped keeping track, partly because I didn't own the new consoles at the time but also because it's hard to keep track of such a long series when the sequels break the numerically sequential names (Tangent: I never noticed that sequel and sequential are related words until I just typed this).

Understandable. Have you played Megaman 11, by the way? I was thinking of picking it up on Steam in a month or two...

Also, my not having played the series mainly comes from my first era of gaming when I had a console and all that being the GameCube era, so almost all of the major Megaman games came out before I had a console or played games. The hardware, and original copies, for that series are starting to get a bit expensive though, so I'll need to stick with emulators. Getting a SNES or NES? Not too bad. Getting a TV compatible with those consoles? A bit harder, at least in my area. Getting the cartridges for the older Megaman games? Too damn expensive. And by the time I had emulation figured out for the first time or two, my interest was in playing the LoZ games I felt like I "missed out" on, like Link to the Past, the Oracle games, and Minish Cap. Slowly working on my retro backlog, though!  :thumb:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 13:41:03 »
X4 is perfection

What about X3

MMX is probably my favorite series next to Castlevania

imo X4 > X2 > X1 > X5 > X3 > X6 > X8 > X7

My brain too small to beat any megaman game

Offline Kavik

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 09:50:48 »

Understandable. Have you played Megaman 11, by the way? I was thinking of picking it up on Steam in a month or two...

Also, my not having played the series mainly comes from my first era of gaming when I had a console and all that being the GameCube era, so almost all of the major Megaman games came out before I had a console or played games. The hardware, and original copies, for that series are starting to get a bit expensive though, so I'll need to stick with emulators. Getting a SNES or NES? Not too bad. Getting a TV compatible with those consoles? A bit harder, at least in my area. Getting the cartridges for the older Megaman games? Too damn expensive. And by the time I had emulation figured out for the first time or two, my interest was in playing the LoZ games I felt like I "missed out" on, like Link to the Past, the Oracle games, and Minish Cap. Slowly working on my retro backlog, though!  :thumb:

No, I haven't since I didn't know of its existence until just now, haha. I'll look into it though.

I played 1-6 on the NES, but I played through them again plus 7 and 8 on the Megaman Collection for Gamecube, so that's another option for you. There are a couple bugs with that version though; one of the endings is just a black screen when it's supposed to be a cinematic scene, and there's an input delay or something on MM8 that makes the surfing levels nearly impossible (I didn't realize this until I saw a SomeCallMeJohnny review years later and he mentioned how easy it is in every other version).

Maybe it's just because I grew up with them, but Megaman games are in their purest form in 8-bit. Any version with better graphics just seems odd to me.

How about Megaman 64 (Megaman Legends)? Did anyone play that? I bought it when it was new and got stuck pretty early in the game, but I always heard it was a great game.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 10:05:50 »
No, I haven't since I didn't know of its existence until just now, haha. I'll look into it though.

I played 1-6 on the NES, but I played through them again plus 7 and 8 on the Megaman Collection for Gamecube, so that's another option for you. There are a couple bugs with that version though; one of the endings is just a black screen when it's supposed to be a cinematic scene, and there's an input delay or something on MM8 that makes the surfing levels nearly impossible (I didn't realize this until I saw a SomeCallMeJohnny review years later and he mentioned how easy it is in every other version).

Maybe it's just because I grew up with them, but Megaman games are in their purest form in 8-bit. Any version with better graphics just seems odd to me.

How about Megaman 64 (Megaman Legends)? Did anyone play that? I bought it when it was new and got stuck pretty early in the game, but I always heard it was a great game.

I mean, I haven't played it personally, but it was good enough to spawn a whole spinoff series if I remember correctly. And as for the GameCube version of the classic games, I have it, but the input lag is very noticeable on almost every game. It's kinda sad. Honestly better to just emulate them on my PC.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 11:13:50 »
I loved 1-3 on NES when I was a kid.  I do want to go back an play the X-versions as well since I love the artwork that is associated w/ that branch of the series.  last handheld I had was a GameGear and 1st gen Gameboy (In it's final form) so I never played them on the handheld platforms.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 12:11:03 »
I loved 1-3 on NES when I was a kid.  I do want to go back an play the X-versions as well since I love the artwork that is associated w/ that branch of the series.  last handheld I had was a GameGear and 1st gen Gameboy (In it's final form) so I never played them on the handheld platforms.

Oh, man, I forgot about the Game Boy counterparts. I have MM1 and MM2 on Gameboy. They are fun too, but much easier and shorter (they only have four bosses each from what I remember). Part of the ease is that the levels and boss arenas are physically smaller because the sprites are larger in scale (I guess to maintain the same look as the NES but with less resolution).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 17:55:40 »

I had it on PS1 and the same exact thing happened, got stuck early on and just lost interest. I think that was right before I got Symphony Of The Night which then proceeded to take over my life for the next year.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 20:05:02 »

I had it on PS1 and the same exact thing happened, got stuck early on and just lost interest. I think that was right before I got Symphony Of The Night which then proceeded to take over my life for the next year.

Same thing happened with shantae