Author Topic: Tropicana  (Read 1034 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Tropicana
« on: Wed, 21 February 2024, 21:28:28 »
Haven't bought ne in a while.

Got some on Costco sale,  it's significantly more bitter than Tp4 remembered.

Has that been going on for a while? Maybe they masticating the oranges harder for say 3% more juice for the bottom line. But their squishing process does not peel the oranges, and thus more compression means more of the Peel's bitterness is getting into the final blend.

Thoughts?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Tropicana
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 February 2024, 21:33:13 »
I think fruit in general is much worse than it was even like 15 years ago. I've also noticed store oj is less sweet, you need to get fresh pressed from a farm stand or store that gets their oranges from a less commercial source. I got some fresh oj at the farmer's market a month ago and it blew my tongue away with flavor and sweetness.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 February 2024, 04:38:52 »
Your taste buds can change over time but I also agree with Noisyturtle, I've noticed the same with canned tomatoes, they got sour somewhere around that same time frame.
Fertilizer? GMOs? Not sure but it ruined my grandmothers spaghetti.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 February 2024, 07:39:57 »
Publix house brand is the best orange juice, in my opinion. The company is headquartered in Lakeland, Florida ....
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 February 2024, 07:58:54 »
Publix house brand is the best orange juice, in my opinion. The company is headquartered in Lakeland, Florida ....

There was that orange juice book which said there's no substitute for fresh squeezed, because they boil the juice's flavor away during pasteurization, and the majority of the final taste is a flavor pack blend re-introduced into the mash.

Tp4's suspicion here is, their mash is more bitter now, because they've cycled the masticator deeper, ending up with more initial volume, but also more bitter peel juice

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 February 2024, 08:10:26 »

there's no substitute for fresh squeezed, because they boil the juice's flavor away during pasteurization

their mash is more bitter now, because they've cycled the masticator deeper, ending up with more initial volume, but also more bitter peel juice

Quite true, and, obviously the most aesthetically pleasing oranges are sold whole, and the junk at the bottom of the pile is juiced for production.

But it's grapefruit for the win, anyway. Far better than oranges.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"