Author Topic: People in the US - Do you tip at the register?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
People in the US - Do you tip at the register?
« on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 17:00:53 »
I feel like there is this new forced stigma for tipping at the register. Something I straight up refuse to do, ever.
Way I see it is, you tip for service, not someone doing the job they are already getting hourly for. You don't tip the person at a grocery store, you don't tip the dude at 7-11, why the hell would you tip the person who rang you up?
I think it all started with coffee shops and Starbucks having that tip jar there, which seemed optional. Now it factors it into your total by % and adds it, and you have to take it off manually when you pay. Like they are trying to guilt you out of another 20%. Even at a nonfood place, I have been prompted for tips at freaking clothing stores! It is straight up out of control, and I refuse to give in.

How do you feel about guilt-tipping, and tipping for things that a few years ago never had tipping added?

For the record, I do tip at sit down restaurants or for deliveries. But if you work in retail, or fast food, sorry you do not get tipped for doing nothing.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: People in the US - Do you tip at the register?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 March 2024, 21:04:10 »

for deliveries

HATE  the entire concept of tipping - unless it is for service above and beyond the norm. I wish there was no such thing.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 02:57:41 »
I was told on multiple occasions that NOT tipping in the US is simply not done, because the staff are badly underpaid and are reliant on tips to get by. As though the cost of the staff's wage is not included in the bill by default.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 03:48:19 »
I was told on multiple occasions that NOT tipping in the US is simply not done, because the staff are badly underpaid and are reliant on tips to get by. As though the cost of the staff's wage is not included in the bill by default.

If everyone just stopped tipping, then the staff will quit if not paid up by the restaurant, as they should be.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 05:36:41 »

If everyone just stopped tipping, then the staff will quit if not paid up by the restaurant, as they should be.

Tbh I think it's very unfair on the staff to have their wage depend on the customers really, or specifically, anything below a normal, liveable wage. Sure they can get extras if they do well, but they shouldn't DEPEND on the generosity of te customers.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 06:44:25 »

in a perfect world, but the companies want the customer to feel bad so they don't have to pay their workers liveable wages. if you're the only one with the balls to not tip then you just look like an a-hole and you're not doing much in protest lol

i have to say though, I've never seen a single person tipping at a cash register and wasn't aware this was even a thing. maybe at smaller places but never a big store like Walmart or whatever. they don't have tip jars or anything
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 08:45:47 »

NOT tipping in the US is simply not done, because the staff are badly underpaid and are reliant on tips to get by.

If everyone just stopped tipping, then the staff will quit

I think it's very unfair on the staff to have their wage depend on the customers really,

Labor laws in the US are abominable, and as long as the Republicans have a hand on the levers of power they will fight to the death against reason and fairness.

There are scenarios, however, almost always in high-end establishments, where customers tip extravagantly and servers make boatloads ....
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 10:23:54 »
Stay home, never go outside, eat rice/ potato/yams, never restaurant = never tip. Restaurant workers wage rises, invest in centralized kitchens.

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 18:22:58 »

in a perfect world
which is basically the entire world
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 March 2024, 00:44:50 »
As someone in Canada I do not tip at the register, I tip when I have waitress/waiter service